PDA

View Full Version : ESPN: NBA extends deadline for 2006 Draft Class

JordansBulls
10-30-2009, 02:44 PM
Source: ESPN (http://sports.espn.go.com/nba/news/story?id=4606873)

Rajon Rondo and the Boston Celtics have a little bit more time to work toward a contract extension.

The league has pushed the deadline for contract extensions for all players from the 2006 draft class from Saturday to Monday, league spokesman Tim Frank confirmed Thursday night.

NBA front-office sources told ESPN.com that all 30 teams were notified via league memorandum earlier this week that the league's annual Oct. 31 deadline for players in the fourth year of their rookie-scale contracts, according to the collective-bargaining agreement, is moved to the next available business day if the deadline falls on a Saturday, Sunday or federal holiday.

Only four first-round picks from 2006 have received extensions so far: No. 1 overall pick Andrea Bargnani (Toronto), No. 2 LaMarcus Aldridge (Portland), No. 6 Brandon Roy (Portland) and No. 13 Thabo Sefolosha (Oklahoma City).

Players who don't receive extensions by Monday will join the vaunted 2010 free-agent class, but as restricted free agents.

bleedprple&gold
10-30-2009, 02:47 PM
not surprising only 4 players have received extensions so far, very weak draft class. However, I expected at least Rudy Gay and Rondo to get extensions.

jetsfan28
10-30-2009, 03:05 PM
It should permanently be a bit later IMO, teams should get a chance to see how players come out for the season.

mikantsass
10-30-2009, 03:05 PM
Rondo will not get an extension. Celtics have all of the leverage and won't budge. Theres no way Rondo wants to enter that free agent market this summer. The combination of available FA's, the economy, and the "R" in front of his FA eligibility mean other teams stay away.

reemy
10-30-2009, 03:09 PM
not surprising only 4 players have received extensions so far, very weak draft class. However, I expected at least Rudy Gay and Rondo to get extensions.

I doubt it, hope Rondo resigns though. If these two were to become free agents they could get a lot of money

abe_froman
10-30-2009, 03:18 PM
i doubt it,think they want to cash in

JordansBulls
10-30-2009, 03:34 PM
Portland pretty much got the 2 best players of the draft.