PDA

View Full Version : Frontcourt v. Backcourt

fairandbalanced
10-30-2009, 11:53 AM
I have realized that many people are quick to jump on names like Kobe, Wade and Lebron but none of this guys can with the championship without a solid front court. On the other hand, a solid Front-court could win with a mediocre back-court. Why are we so impressed by back court players? Is it because they are flashy? It is true that some good back-court players have won the championship with a mediocre offensive front-court, e.g Wade, Jordan but we should also note that they had very good defensive front-court players.

In my view, when picking the best players in the league most of us start with Wade, Kobe or Lebron, but players that have the most impact in any game, in the league are Duncan, Howard and the combination of Gasol and Bynum. Why is it that we never mention those guys among the top 5?

Which would you rather start a team with?

A good front-court, or a good-back court?

bigsams50
10-30-2009, 11:56 AM
For me its frontcourt.

SammyJ
10-30-2009, 12:06 PM
because NBA refereeing....

JordansBulls
10-30-2009, 12:07 PM
I have realized that many people are quick to jump on names like Kobe, Wade and Lebron but none of this guys can with the championship without a solid front court. On the other hand, a solid Front-court could win with a mediocre back-court. Why are we so impressed by back court players? Is it because they are flashy? It is true that some good back-court players have won the championship with a mediocre offensive front-court, e.g Wade, Jordan but we should also note that they had very good defensive front-court players.

In my view, when picking the best players in the league most of us start with Wade, Kobe or Lebron, but players that have the most impact in any game, in the league are Duncan, Howard and the combination of Gasol and Bynum. Why is it that we never mention those guys among the top 5?

Frontcourt obviously. People nowadays pick the backcourt players mainly because they fall for the flash and thus they get all the hype. However in 95% of the cases, your team will win titles based on it having an allstar/superstar frontcourt player.

fairandbalanced
10-30-2009, 12:08 PM
For me its frontcourt.

Me too.....I think if Howard had the team Lebron had, and lebron had the team Howard had, Lebron's team still would have lost in the East finals. The top 5 players in the league should be:

1. Howard
2. Duncan
3. KG
4/5. Bynum & Gasol

Note: I didn't say the best individual players, I am ranking them in terms of impact.

JordansBulls
10-30-2009, 12:10 PM
Me too.....I think if Howard had the team Lebron had, and lebron had the team Howard had, Lebron's team still would have lost in the East finals. The top 5 players in the league should be:

1. Howard
2. Duncan
3. KG
4/5. Bynum & Gasol

Note: I didn't say the best individual players, I am ranking them in terms of impact.

I can understand Howard and Duncan, but KG, Bynum and Gasol's impact are not as good as Kobe's, Lebron's or Wade's for an overall team.

fairandbalanced
10-30-2009, 12:14 PM
I can understand Howard and Duncan, but KG, Bynum and Gasol's impact are not as good as Kobe's, Lebron's or Wade's for an overall team.

I disagree, but you do have a solid point. I am basing it on their efficiency on any given night. Those guys (Bynum, Gasol & KG) do not need 20 shots a game, neither do they need the ball in their hands 90% of the time to have an impact, but Kobe, Lebron and Wade does

bigsams50
10-30-2009, 12:16 PM

In his prime, KG was a straight beast. But now he's a shell of his old self

fairandbalanced
10-30-2009, 01:13 PM
In his prime, KG was a straight beast. But now he's a shell of his old self

he just came off injury...give him time.

Raph12
10-30-2009, 01:16 PM
Starting with a good frontcourt will make your team a lot more successful than starting with a good backcourt. No doubt about it, strong frontcourt>>>>>strong backcourt.

Rarely, if ever, does a team with a weak frontcourt win championships.

Gambeezy
10-30-2009, 01:21 PM

1. Howard
2. Duncan
3. KG
4/5. Bynum & Gasol

Why the hell are you putting Bynum in a conversation with 4 future Hall of Famers? He doesn't make that great of an impact on the Lakers team as of yet. The Lakers would still be a great team even if they had Joel Anthony as their starting center.

PLAYERS FAN
10-30-2009, 01:29 PM

Hakeem is the only one I seen won with a average back-court.

Ray_R
10-30-2009, 01:29 PM
Front COurt, All star guards come more often than a All star Forward or center

wileyisTOFU
10-30-2009, 01:35 PM
as rockets fan, i gotta go with the back court. These big guys now days seem fragile as hell ( Yao , Oden , other tall dudes with bad knees)

Chronz
10-30-2009, 01:51 PM
Backcourts have become increasingly important, but froncourt is comprised of 3 players vs 2, so its pretty unfair I think.

SirCalvin81
10-30-2009, 01:51 PM
Its gotta b a frontcourt, good big men are hard 2 find

Lakerfan In NY
10-30-2009, 01:55 PM
Backcourt in college
Front court in Pros

ManRam
10-30-2009, 02:18 PM

I agree. I don't think a big man can carry his team as the undisputed number one option on offense. For every Duncan there is a Manu/Tony to score, for every Shaq there is a Kobe or Wade. For every Howard there is a plethora of scorers around him...so on. It's much easier to contain a big man than it is to contain a wing player.

I'd start with a dominant wing man over anything else.

fairandbalanced
10-30-2009, 02:30 PM
I agree. I don't think a big man can carry his team as the undisputed number one option on offense. For every Duncan there is a Manu/Tony to score, for every Shaq there is a Kobe or Wade. For every Howard there is a plethora of scorers around him...so on. It's much easier to contain a big man than it is to contain a wing player.

I'd start with a dominant wing man over anything else.

You must be confused. you basically said for "every Howard there is a plethora of scorers" doesn't that mean "Howard" like players are scarce? and why would you pass on that for a back-court scorer? what about days that the shots aren't falling?

Ace33Bone
10-30-2009, 03:22 PM
I would have to say backcourt because to me the PG is like the quarterback of the basketball team and the general on the floor... I also believe that you can win a championship with a good backcourt even if you frontcourt is below average

Raph12
10-30-2009, 03:50 PM
I would have to say backcourt because to me the PG is like the quarterback of the basketball team and the general on the floor... I also believe that you can win a championship with a good backcourt even if you frontcourt is below average

Name one team that won a ring with a below-avg frontcourt (except MJ's Bulls)...

JNA17
10-30-2009, 04:08 PM
Name one team that won a ring with a below-avg frontcourt (except MJ's Bulls)...

scottie pippen (SF is apart of the front court) and dennis rodman and horace grant was below avg front court? :confused:

Lakersfan2483
10-30-2009, 04:16 PM
I have realized that many people are quick to jump on names like Kobe, Wade and Lebron but none of this guys can with the championship without a solid front court. On the other hand, a solid Front-court could win with a mediocre back-court. Why are we so impressed by back court players? Is it because they are flashy? It is true that some good back-court players have won the championship with a mediocre offensive front-court, e.g Wade, Jordan but we should also note that they had very good defensive front-court players.In my view, when picking the best players in the league most of us start with Wade, Kobe or Lebron, but players that have the most impact in any game, in the league are Duncan, Howard and the combination of Gasol and Bynum. Why is it that we never mention those guys among the top 5?

You can take Wade off of the list in terms of winning with a mediocore offensive frontcourt. He had Shaq, who was in the running for the MVP the year prior to the team winning the ring. Shaq was still commanding a double team and dominating down low. He was the primary reason Miami beat Detroit. His dominance and impact were on full display in that series.

my view, when picking the best players in the league most of us start with Wade, Kobe or Lebron, but players that have the most impact in any game, in the league are Duncan, Howard and the combination of Gasol and Bynum. Why is it that we never mention those guys among the top 5?

Because those 3 guys (Kobe, Lebron, Wade) all have the most impact on wins and losses and are clearly the 3 best players in the NBA. As far as KG and Duncan are concerned, they are still impactful, but are no longer in the prime of their careers. D. Howard still has limitations offensively, but he's definitely a top 5 player. The combination of Gasol and Bynum is extremely effective, but they also benefit a great deal from the defensive attention Kobe garners night in and night out.

Raph12
10-30-2009, 05:16 PM
scottie pippen (SF is apart of the front court) and dennis rodman and horace grant was below avg front court? :confused:

I'm pretty sure that the definition of frontcourt in this thread, discludes SFs, seeming as how they are wing players... so yes, Horace Grant and Luc Longley would be considered below avg to me.

fairandbalanced
10-30-2009, 05:19 PM
I'm pretty sure that the definition of frontcourt in this thread, discludes SFs, seeming as how they are wing players... so yes, Horace Grant and Luc Longley would be considered below avg to me.

Front court is PF and C, SF can't be front-court in today's NBA because they mostly play a combo guard role.

Raph12
10-30-2009, 05:27 PM
Front court is PF and C, SF can't be front-court in today's NBA because they mostly play a combo guard role.

Technical "basketball-related" defintion of frontcourt: A team's center and forwards, as a unit.

Like I was explaining to the other guy talking about Pippen and Rodman, in this thread, the defintion of frontcourt is slightly different than it's original definition, therefore Pippen and Rodman wouldn't be included in the frontcourt on this thread...

sofargone
10-30-2009, 06:31 PM
having a good true centre is hard to come by...look at orlando and how well theyre doing with howard, or how LA is doing after getting Gasol? or boston after getting Garnett?