PDA

View Full Version : The Book of Basketball by Bill Simmons

KnicksorBust
10-29-2009, 05:54 PM
700 pages of glory.

I got home from picking it up from the post office (missed delivery because of being at work) and immediately plowed through the first 40 pages. Die-hard NBA fans will love this and people like myself (mid 20 year olds) will get a real education of the history of the game.

Anybody else order it or start it yet?

Chronz
10-29-2009, 05:56 PM
I got mine for 16 on amazon but itll get here in 2 days, how much was yours

blackjack_119
10-29-2009, 05:57 PM
I'll buy it when he is in Portland on the book tour.

abe_froman
10-29-2009, 06:10 PM
i've read some of it,cant wait to read the rest.hard to put down

KnicksorBust
10-29-2009, 06:24 PM
I got mine for 16 on amazon but itll get here in 2 days, how much was yours

Me too actually. Mine was $18.50 with shipping and handling. I didn't read his Red Sox book so this was the first time I found out about Jabaal Abdul-Simmons, his black identity. :laugh:

I feel like I haven't even gotten to the good stuff yet and I'm hooked. All I know is I may end up accidently taking the first hour-long **** of my life.

ChiSox219
10-29-2009, 08:17 PM
Just ordered it from Amazon $16.50 used Amazon Prime Free Trial

I'm reading Blood on the Horns by Lazenby, it's about the Bulls Final Dance definitely recommend it.

KnicksorBust
10-29-2009, 08:31 PM
I just love that it's 700 pages. On Sportsnation they shot a bullet with a Smith and Wesson at it and the bullet didn't even make it all the way through.

Chronz
10-29-2009, 10:17 PM
Just ordered it from Amazon $16.50 used Amazon Prime Free Trial

I'm reading Blood on the Horns by Lazenby, it's about the Bulls Final Dance definitely recommend it.

Thanks bro, I love when people recommend basketball books, Im surprised I havent come across this one considering how great a writer Lazenby is. Look forward to it and yea I got that free trial too, time to put it to use

jetsfan28
10-29-2009, 10:18 PM
****, I knew I forgot to do something. Is it in stores yet?

Hellcrooner
10-29-2009, 10:23 PM
you should read some real book

jetsfan28
10-29-2009, 10:28 PM
you should read some real book

book - a written or printed work of fiction or nonfiction, usually on sheets of paper fastened or bound together within covers.

http://dictionary.reference.com/browse/book

I'm pretty sure it fits all of the criteria

Hellcrooner
10-29-2009, 10:34 PM
ill put my Catcher in the rye copy on teh table and ask some cultivated people to chose it or Bill simmons.

jetsfan28
10-29-2009, 10:39 PM
ill put my Catcher in the rye copy on teh table and ask some cultivated people to chose it or Bill simmons.

Believe it or not, some people on sports forums actually like reading about sports. Crazy thought, I know.

Wilson
10-29-2009, 10:47 PM
I can't afford to buy it at the moment, but I definately want to read it in the future. I've read a couple of the excerpts on ESPN.com and they're really good.

Hellcrooner
10-29-2009, 10:48 PM
surprising :D

that explains a lot of things.

By teh way that definition shoudl be revisited.

I mean.

something you read in an Apple E-book is not a book?

jetsfan28
10-29-2009, 10:51 PM
surprising :D

that explains a lot of things.

By teh way that definition shoudl be revisited.

I mean.

something you read in an Apple E-book is not a book?

book - a written or printed work of fiction or nonfiction, usually on sheets of paper fastened or bound together within covers.

KnicksorBust
10-29-2009, 11:31 PM
I don't understand how a basketball can not like Bill Simmons. This guy is like neurotically passionate about the game. 700 pages? really? that's a ****ing ton of research. He sat down and re-watched games from the 70s for this ****. I read the first 101 pages tonight while watching the world series and wasn't bored once.

jetsfan28
10-29-2009, 11:39 PM
I don't understand how a basketball can not like Bill Simmons. This guy is like neurotically passionate about the game. 700 pages? really? that's a ****ing ton of research. He sat down and re-watched games from the 70s for this ****. I read the first 101 pages tonight while watching the world series and wasn't bored once.

He also knows a ton. People just hate him because he isn't a traditional NBA analyst, and thus they always get overly offended when he hates on their team. They ignore the fact that he's also extremely intelligent when it comes to the game (and all sports actually), knows a ton, and is a very good writer.

superkegger
10-29-2009, 11:54 PM

I haven't gotten it yet, but mostly because I've been working a lot lately. Is it in stores yet? I havent really looked, but I knew it was coming out late this fall, and wanted to get it, is it in stores yet?

IndiansFan337
10-30-2009, 12:22 AM
700 pages of glory.

I got home from picking it up from the post office (missed delivery because of being at work) and immediately plowed through the first 40 pages. Die-hard NBA fans will love this and people like myself (mid 20 year olds) will get a real education of the history of the game.

Anybody else order it or start it yet?

I told my girlfriend to get it for my for Xmas. I graduate in December, so I should have more free time to read it once I am done with school.

LeBron2NYK
11-07-2009, 02:25 AM
Whose read it? Thoughts on it? I'm about 200 pages in so far and I'd give it about a B, not great but not bad. I'm personally a huge Simmons fan but this isn't his best work at least so far, I'm really curious about the hall of fame pyramid so I can't give it a final grade until I've read that but I'm just curious about what others have thought.

J4KOP99
11-07-2009, 02:28 AM
I totally forgot this came out(shockey, I know...Simmons has been everywhere recently) but I think I may pick it up tomorrow and check it out.

I don't always agree with what he says and without question, he is highly biased, but he does get you thinking and always has an interesting take on things.

I'll give it a chance.

Vinny642
11-07-2009, 02:36 AM
I cant even get through this: http://www.amazon.com/Long-Shot-Never-Small-Dream/dp/1416950796

PhillyLuver
11-07-2009, 02:47 AM
I bought it, I like it a lot

KnicksorBust
11-07-2009, 02:53 AM
I'm on page 538 (no skipping). Honestly I'm 26 years old and it reaches a point where it's tough reading because it's biography after biography for the pyramid and when u haven't even seen the Paul Arizin's of the NBA it's tough to read 200 pages straight of bios but it is a great book and if u REALLY want know the NBA it's a must-read. I recommend it to any TRUE fan. I just hit the pantheon and I'm excited to see how he closes out the book with the 12 greatest players and the final chapters.

Wilson
11-07-2009, 02:57 AM
I totally forgot this came out(shockey, I know...Simmons has been everywhere recently) but I think I may pick it up tomorrow and check it out.

I don't always agree with what he says and without question, he is highly biased, but he does get you thinking and always has an interesting take on things.

I'll give it a chance.

He can be, but he's admitted it several times. That's what I like about him, at the end of the day he's still a fan and he acts like it. He writes his opinions (which can often be outside the box) and has a lot of fun with them. It's good to have a writer who still sees sports as something which can be viewed as fun...

I hope to read the BoB at some point, I've got a big pile of books to read through right now though :p

abe_froman
11-07-2009, 03:35 AM
loved it

Chronz
11-07-2009, 04:16 AM
Who is this unbiased person everyone alludes to existing in the world when describing some one else as bias?

Bill Simmons is a SMART LOGICAL THINKER thats all I require when reading his provocative thoughts. I intend on debunking alot of his stuff and twittering/email him my response to his conclusions having read much of the same books he references.

His all time rankings are fishy, and his statistical analysis (while on the right path) is still viewed incorrectly from a quantification standpoint.

ARMIN12NBA
11-07-2009, 04:39 AM
Who is this unbiased person everyone alludes to existing in the world when describing some one else as bias?

Bill Simmons is a SMART LOGICAL THINKER thats all I require when reading his provocative thoughts. I intend on debunking alot of his stuff and twittering/email him my response to his conclusions having read much of the same books he references.

His all time rankings are fishy, and his statistical analysis (while on the right path) is still viewed incorrectly from a quantification standpoint.

Except for the smart and logical part. He is a thinker though. :p

Don Starks
11-07-2009, 06:03 AM

the most pretentious post i have ever seen on psd.

Chronz
11-08-2009, 01:50 AM
My only problem with reading this, is that it confirms Im not special. Im not saying everything he says is right, but there are some very controversial issues we agree on that I know not many agree with, but because of this book people will probably think he influenced my rationale.

the most pretentious post i have ever seen on psd.
This is the most interested Ive ever been, explain, you have my full attention.

Except for the smart and logical part. He is a thinker though. :p
One thing he does is set a determining criteria establishing consistent results. Its not like he jumps back and forth so how is he not logical? If you can find a flaw in his logic Ill agree with the smart part, thus far Ive found few wrinkles, nothing deep.

RaysFan
11-17-2009, 11:39 AM
It is very good and a must-read for NBA fans. It is a book that you can either casually read or plow right through. I got it a week or so ago and since then I have read 500+ pages (700 in total) and I have really enjoyed it. Here is what is featured in the Book....

-A breakdown of the "Russel vs Wilt" debate
-What the "Secret of Basketball" really is
-33 great NBA "What ifs"
-A ranking of the 96 best players in NBA History
-A breakdown of the best teams in NBA History
-Other interesting chapters

It is a really good basketball book and I suggest any true NBA fan read it. You can get it for $15 on Amazon. I don't agree with everything Simmons says, but that is the point...you aren't supposed to agree with it. It is a great historical reference and also funny and easy to read at the same time.

Kobe24MVP
11-17-2009, 12:24 PM
bill simmons is a clown

jetsfan28
11-17-2009, 12:25 PM
Amazing book, definitely recommend it

ChiSox219
11-17-2009, 12:39 PM
http://www.prosportsdaily.com/forums/showthread.php?t=423319&highlight=bill+simmons

http://www.prosportsdaily.com/forums/showthread.php?t=420629&highlight=bill+simmons

J_M_B
11-17-2009, 12:57 PM
I also got it last week and I have enjoyed reading it. Great book, recommend everyone should buy a copy if they enjoy watching the NBA.

asandhu23
11-17-2009, 01:07 PM
Russell versus Wilt! Nice

J_M_B
11-17-2009, 01:11 PM
I finihed the book and it was actually better than I thought it would be. The only part I didn't really like was the 96 best players of all time.

I didn't understand how he could have Lebron at 20 already, but had Dwyane Wade ranked 53. I would have thought they wold be a bit closer. Something like Lebron ranked 36 and Wade around 45.

Might sound a little bias, but that was one of the main things I didn't like.

Oh I also thought there were too many Bulls teams in the best teams ever chapter.

ShockerArt
11-17-2009, 01:16 PM

We're being lectured on the intellectual properties of books by someone with a Kiss logo in their signature?

J4KOP99
11-17-2009, 02:22 PM
I've been reading it every once in a while over the last week and it is pretty cool. He always brings up some interesting idea's and since I love basketball, it's a fun read.

He talks, in one part, about how the current fans always forget about the stars of before. I couldn't agree more. We see it now with the Kobe-Jordan comparison's and the Peyton Manning, Tomy Brady, best QB ever arguments. People always forget how good the guys were that are now retired or dead.

ChiSox219
11-17-2009, 05:19 PM
Russell versus Wilt! Nice

Not if you are a fan of Wilt.

superkegger
11-20-2009, 12:02 PM
Great book. Just absolutely a great read for anyone who loves the game.

Chronz
11-20-2009, 04:51 PM
PS Bill Simmons is beating out the Larry/Magic book on the best sellers list

http://www.nytimes.com/pages/books/bestseller/

KnicksorBust
11-20-2009, 05:23 PM
Great book. Just absolutely a great read for anyone who loves the game.

Can you imagine getting to sit down and watch all these old games... as part of your job??? Making tons of money by making a top 96 nba players of all-time list? :laugh: Talk about living the dream.

superkegger
11-20-2009, 10:35 PM
Can you imagine getting to sit down and watch all these old games... as part of your job??? Making tons of money by making a top 96 nba players of all-time list? :laugh: Talk about living the dream.

No kidding. What a lucky ****ing bastard.

flea
11-20-2009, 10:47 PM
We're being lectured on the intellectual properties of books by someone with a Kiss logo in their signature?
ill put my kiss's dressed to kill copy on teh table and ask some cultivated people to chose it or Bill Simmons.

sp1derm00
11-22-2009, 09:23 PM
Read the book. I wish he finished the book AFTER the NBA Finals were over. It gave the book a bit of a "dated" feeling while reading parts of the book.

For example:

Bill Simmons ranked Kobe at #15 All-Time in the book, this was before Kobe won his 4th ring. He mentioned in the book, that Kobe is auto-bumped to #8 if he wins his fourth ring, which he did (and I'm assuming the book printed before the NBA finals ended).