PDA

View Full Version : Rip Hamilton supports Allen Iverson, Curry Lied

Gators123
10-27-2009, 10:02 PM
Curry you dumbass, it was all your fault :mad: It doesn't take away that AI faked a back injury. But I respect him more then I did before.

http://blog.mlive.com/fullcourtpress/2009/10/was_allen_iverson_right_all_al.html

Rip Hamilton supports Allen Iverson, says Michael Curry 'lied to us a million times'
By Patrick Hayes
October 27, 2009, 7:05PM

So this is interesting. Rip Hamilton had this to say about everyone's favorite scapegoat Allen Iverson in the Memphis Commercial Appeal:

"M.C. lied to us a million times," Hamilton said of Curry. "He sat me and A.I. down one time and was like, 'I'm going to lean on both of you the whole year, just don't go to the media. Say you'll do whatever for the team and blah blah blah.' This was a week before he brought me off the bench. He lied. So I feel for what Allen said."

He added: "I think the person that we had didn't know how to take advantage of (our roster). Instead of taking advantage of it, he killed it."

That is scathing. Rip has been silent for a long time on all things Curry, and he's a key player in the drama of last season. There were rumors out there that Curry's refusal to reconcile with Rip led to his sudden firing, not that Curry's inability to coach also didn't weigh heavily in that decision as well.

But I think an assumption made by many fans is that while the team was no fan of Curry, they were also not happy about having Iverson around, and to me, that just doesn't jibe with AI's rep around the league.

Iverson is admired by his peers. He's controversial to some fans and media, but there's never been a report of a teammate negatively talking about AI as a player or person. People forget that Iverson, popularity-wise, bridged the NBA from the Jordan era to the Kobe-LeBron era. And I know the second I type that that people are going to comment and tell me why I'm an idiot and complain about him playing selfish basketball and having a bad attitude and being a 'thug', whatever that means.

The NBA, as FreeDarko famously says, is a league of stars. Iverson's style has been hugely influential on the league, and there's a generation of players who grew up respecting him and admiring him. The more people who don't understand the concept of how star power drives the league among its most devoted fans hate and criticize, the more it's endeared Iverson to his fanbase.
More than just one Piston didn't play their hardest last season. More than one player was not satisfied with his role. More than one player handled it poorly. Only one player -- Iverson -- had the star power to always have a reporter there, on the road or at home, notebook in hand, ready to write about anything that came out of his mouth.

It's all irrelevant at this point. Both Iverson and the Pistons moved on. Curry, despite dressing the part, was rightfully fired. But it's good to (finally) hear Hamilton's perspective on what happened, since Iverson largely took the fall when multiple parties should have shared in what went wrong last season.

SirCalvin81
10-27-2009, 10:20 PM
rip is nxt to go

IRUAM #21
10-27-2009, 10:20 PM
I also support Iverson :)

Lakersfan2483
10-27-2009, 10:30 PM
Joe Dumars has to take a lot of blame as well, he was the guy who hired Curry. He should have kept Flip Saunders and or hired Avery Johnson. Curry is a terrible head coach.

Gators123
10-27-2009, 10:36 PM
Joe Dumars has to take a lot of blame as well, he was the guy who hired Curry. He should have kept Flip Saunders and or hired Avery Johnson. Curry was a terrible head coach.

Fixed ;)

But your right, Johnson would have been good.

randomness
10-27-2009, 10:44 PM
They would have been way better off with Saunders.

Mrphilly
10-27-2009, 10:45 PM
[QUOTE=Gators123;11211225]Curry you dumbass, it was all your fault :mad: It doesn't take away that AI faked a back injury. But I respect him more then I did before.

He didnt fake an injury, the team sent him away. When you are a bad coach, just blame it on Iverson and people will focus all their attention on him.

People are so stupid. U cant go from Billups to and overratted Stuckey and think something good will happen. But people dont see that, Iverson is the blame for everything. Im glad Rip cleared the air.

Gators123
10-27-2009, 10:49 PM
[QUOTE=Gators123;11211225]Curry you dumbass, it was all your fault :mad: It doesn't take away that AI faked a back injury. But I respect him more then I did before.

He didnt fake an injury, the team sent him away. When you are a bad coach, just blame it on Iverson and people will focus all their attention on him.

People are so stupid. U cant go from Billups to and overratted Stuckey and think something good will happen. But people dont see that, Iverson is the blame for everything. Im glad Rip cleared the air.

Overrated stuckey? he hasnt been able to prove anything yet. Last year was Hamiltons,rasheed,and prince worst years as pistons and AI's worst Career year. so that means it was possibly stuckeys worst year.It wasn't his fault, He will finally be able to prove himself this year. Stuckey walked in to a mess last year.

Theanswer76
10-27-2009, 11:10 PM
Thank god RIP!

Raph12
10-27-2009, 11:12 PM
Nice to see Rip speaking up on an issue and maybe turning alot of Piston-fans hatred for AI towards Curry lol... in all seriousness though, I told people that AI was not to blame, yes he could've handled it a bit better, but as AI often famously quotes "I am what I am" and the Pistons' management knew that before he got there. Dumars, Curry and all of the Pistons' head office was to blame, if you want to blame AI, just blame him for just being AI because that's just who he is.

Wilson
10-27-2009, 11:31 PM
As an AI fan this is really good to hear. From everything I know, it doesn't seem as though Iverson handled the Detroit situation as well as he could have, but it's good to know that not everything came down to him.

vito don tito
10-27-2009, 11:49 PM
I am in no way "Pro-Stuckey" allthough I honestly believe Bynum outplayed every PG on the team last year. When that trade happened it ticked a bunch of people off, me being one of them. Iverson has how many rings might I ask........