PDA

View Full Version : Please rate n00b's draft...Need help with H2H

jl8686
10-26-2009, 08:29 AM
Hey all,

Huge NBA fan but this is my first time doing fantasy. I love the NBA and I know all the players but I'm used to fantasy football so this whole balancing or dominating the categories thing has me TOTALLY lost. I read up on how the scoring works but I have no idea how to use it or win with the H2H strategy.

It's a H2H league with standard 8 categories (points/assists/rebounds/blocks/3 pointers/steals/FG%/FT%.....noturnover category) 10 guys in the league, we start PG, SG, SF, PF, C, G, F, PF/C, and two Util. Daily lineups. Everyone else is pretty new and I think everyone else pretty much went for a balanced/BPA strategy, there's no one using one of those weird tactics like "Smallball" or deliberately punting categories yet I don't think.

Here's my team and their eligibility. I picked second

Pick 1. (2nd overall): LeBron James (SF)
Pick 2 (19th overall): Joe Johnson (SG, SF)
David West (PF)
Monte Ellis (PG, SG)
Andris Biedrins (C)
LaMarcus Aldridge (PF)
Andrea Bargnani (PF, C)
Luis Scola (PF, C)
Mike Bibby (PG)
DJ Augustin (PG)

Bench: (but its a daily league so the bench gets swapped in and out)
Greg Oden (C)
Courtney Lee (SG)
Stephen Curry (PG, SG)

I honestly can't tell what I'm good at and what I'm bad at because I don't know how much of each position people usually own. I could be fantastic or horrendous at a certain category and not know it, or I could have one guy ruining an entire category for me and not know it.

I have my own thoughts but I could be way offbase and need other opinions. For example, free throw shooting - my best guess is that LeBron and Biedrins ruin my chances at free throw shooting, but maybe I'm actually the best at it since I have a bunch of big guys like West and Bargnani who are good at Free Throws and other people will start a couple centers who are as bad as Biedrins. I really don't know.

-Is my team good?

-What categories am I good at and bad at? (Are there any categories that I'm SO good at I can ignore them, or are there any that I'm SO bad at that I should punt them?)

-What categories should I try improve with waiver wire guys or through trades? (either to gain dominance in one I'm good at, or become decent at one I'm lacking)

-What's the best strategy to win in a league where everyone else is pretty balanced and just taking BPA? No one was using a strategy like "bigball" or "smallball" or deliberately punting a category or anything like that that I can tell. Should I try to be good and balanced across all 8, or should I try to focus on 5 or 6 categories (and if so, which) and ignore the others?

Just FYI, guys on the waiver wire that are available: Rodney Stuckey (PG), Chris Duhon (PG), Roy Hibbert (C) Mike Miller (SG, SF), Nate Robinson (PG, SG) Leandro Barbosa (SG), Chris Birdman Anderson (PF, C), James Harden (SG)

Thanks in advance, I'm really lost.

kEviN21
10-26-2009, 01:36 PM
Great team! Fantasy basketball is all about having good scorers who can do a lot of other things like Lebron. He will give you points, field goals, free throws, 3's, %'s, assists, rebounds, etc.

If anything you look like you might be low on assists and blocks but you will win almost every scoring category above.

meiklwhite
10-26-2009, 05:16 PM
Great team! Fantasy basketball is all about having good scorers who can do a lot of other things like Lebron. He will give you points, field goals, free throws, 3's, %'s, assists, rebounds, etc.

If anything you look like you might be low on assists and blocks but you will win almost every scoring category above.

I disagree. You are VERY weak in assists and also fg%. Steals and Blocks could also be problematic.

Your Points, ft% and rebounds look good to me though.

kEviN21
10-26-2009, 06:17 PM
lol that's what I said. I said he might be low on assists and blocks but high on points etc.

jl8686
10-27-2009, 02:52 AM
Thanks a bunch guys, I really appreciate it. Should I forget about assists and FG% for now and try to pick up somebody like Birdman to get blocks? (Like I said, its a daily league so all three bench players are very important and have to contribute, I'm not attached to Lee or Curry at all and was planning on rotating them out for people who will help me in certain categories)

I really, really, really want to win week 1 since its against the biggest smacktalker and the guy with the most fantasy bball experience (and the tiebreaker for the playoffs is head to head record).

meiklwhite
10-27-2009, 04:16 AM
lol that's what I said. I said he might be low on assists and blocks but high on points etc.

you said he has a great team.

I said he has 4 weak cats and 4 strong ones that he COULD win.
I wouldn't call that great.

In fact, I'm pretty sure that every one of my espn-h2h-teams (and I have about 10) would beat this team every single week.

as for birdman: don't do that. he will give you blocks, yes. but at the same time he will hurt your points and ft% a lot.

you could try to feel out what you could get for lebron. People often overvalue him and you can get two or three very good players for him.

you should try to improve your steals, 3pm, blocks without giving up too much in ft%, rebounds or points.

players that come to my mind as targets: andre iguodala, gerald wallace, trevor ariza, mario chalmers, tyrus thomas, shane battier.

I would also drop mike bibby right away for leandro barbosa. he does everything you get from bibby (3pm, points, ft%), but better. He also is due for a very big season with the returning running style of the suns and bibby has a much worse situation in atl with crawford and teague added to the roster.

I'd also give hibbert a really long look, but I don't see anybody on your roster I would drop for him atm.

Maybe you should also look into trading andris biedrins for a big who shoots fts better. brook lopez comes to my mind, but he is really valued high in all leagues this season. al horford is another possibily. If you can move scola and/or aldridge for a big who blocks shots, that would also be positive.

kevin martin would also be a great guy for your team. he would almost guarantee you a win in pts and ft% every week. his 3pm would also be good.

and do not drop lee and/or curry yet. they could both have really good seasons. exspecially curry could be very valuable if he really gets the starting spot at PG. Then you could move him to a guy who needs assists, since you don't and high-assist-guys are very rare.

kEviN21
10-27-2009, 03:57 PM
you said he has a great team.

I said he has 4 weak cats and 4 strong ones that he COULD win.
I wouldn't call that great.

In fact, I'm pretty sure that every one of my espn-h2h-teams (and I have about 10) would beat this team every single week.

as for birdman: don't do that. he will give you blocks, yes. but at the same time he will hurt your points and ft% a lot.

you could try to feel out what you could get for lebron. People often overvalue him and you can get two or three very good players for him.

you should try to improve your steals, 3pm, blocks without giving up too much in ft%, rebounds or points.

players that come to my mind as targets: andre iguodala, gerald wallace, trevor ariza, mario chalmers, tyrus thomas, shane battier.

I would also drop mike bibby right away for leandro barbosa. he does everything you get from bibby (3pm, points, ft%), but better. He also is due for a very big season with the returning running style of the suns and bibby has a much worse situation in atl with crawford and teague added to the roster.

I'd also give hibbert a really long look, but I don't see anybody on your roster I would drop for him atm.

Maybe you should also look into trading andris biedrins for a big who shoots fts better. brook lopez comes to my mind, but he is really valued high in all leagues this season. al horford is another possibily. If you can move scola and/or aldridge for a big who blocks shots, that would also be positive.

kevin martin would also be a great guy for your team. he would almost guarantee you a win in pts and ft% every week. his 3pm would also be good.

and do not drop lee and/or curry yet. they could both have really good seasons. exspecially curry could be very valuable if he really gets the starting spot at PG. Then you could move him to a guy who needs assists, since you don't and high-assist-guys are very rare.

Disagree. Wonder how well you did last year.

andre iguodala, gerald wallace, trevor ariza, mario chalmers, tyrus thomas, shane battier....battier, chalmers, thomas are all non fantasy performers or they are average at best. AI and Gerald Wallace are top 30 picks. Do you think he could get these guys easily or what??

Kevin Martin is good but he would have to give up his 2nd or 3rd pick and I wouldn't cuz it's not worth it. Plus he is injury prone and the Kings are projected to be the worst team this year.

Aldridge is solid every night. Good pickup from the round you got him in.

Al Horford is not a good fantasy center. Biedrins is the top 5 fantasy center.

Great team for a 10team league.

kEviN21
10-27-2009, 04:01 PM
I would also consider Harden and Barbosa over Oden and Curry.

Even if you are weak at blocks, you should be strong in most other categories especially points in which you have a lot of scorers.

meiklwhite
10-27-2009, 07:20 PM
Disagree. Wonder how well you did last year.

I won half about half of my leagues and finished in the top 4 in all of them. Thanks for asking.

andre iguodala, gerald wallace, trevor ariza, mario chalmers, tyrus thomas, shane battier....battier, chalmers, thomas are all non fantasy performers or they are average at best.

This statement disqualifies you in my mind. You seem to only look at points, rebounds and assists and don't care about all the other categories. battier averages 1 each of 3pm, blk and stl this season, trust me. That alone makes him fantasy-relevant. chalmers is near the top of the league in steals and gives you 5+assists and 1.5 threes. thomas should get 1.5 steals and over 2 blocks every night. I don't see how that is average.

AI and Gerald Wallace are top 30 picks. Do you think he could get these guys easily or what??

No I don't. But he was asking for advice and so I told him which players he should look for.

Kevin Martin is good but he would have to give up his 2nd or 3rd pick and I wouldn't cuz it's not worth it. Plus he is injury prone and the Kings are projected to be the worst team this year.

Since when are team wins fantasy-relevant?

Aldridge is solid every night. Good pickup from the round you got him in.

Aldridge is indeed solid. I just stated that his fg% and blocks are relatively low for a bigman. Oden will also take away more rebounds this season.

Al Horford is not a good fantasy center. Biedrins is the top 5 fantasy center.

OK let's see.
biedrins: 11.9 pts, 11.2 reb, 2.0 ast, 1.5 blk, 1.0 stl, 0 3pm, .578 fg% on 8.6 fga, .551 ft% on 3.5 fta
vs.
horford: 11.5 pts, 9.3 reb, 2.4 ast, 1.4 blk, 0.8 stl, 0 3pm, .525 fg% on 8.9 fga, .727 ft% on 3.1 fta.

i don't see how you can say that one of them is top5 (which he is NOT) and the other is not even relevant. Of course biedrins is great. But Horford is not much behind and can hit free throws at a very acceptable rate. Thats why I suggested him.

jl8686
10-28-2009, 07:00 AM
Wow thanks so much for your thorough analysis meikl and kevin21, you have no idea how much I appreciate it.

I'm well aware that my team would get slaughtered by teams that know that they're doing when they're drafting....I'm so glad I don't have to go against you guys and only have to compete against my friends! Now that I know what to go for and can hopefully do well against other guys who know what they're doing.

I think a lot of the other people will probably be gun-shy in regards to trades (I'll see what I can do after a week or so though), but I grabbed Barbosa for Mike Bibby. I'm going to go ahead and punt assists and try to improve in steals, blocks, and 3pointers. You guys are lifesavers!

meiklwhite
10-28-2009, 10:30 AM
especially in inexperienced leagues, great players often get overvalued. so maybe you should feel out what you can get for lebron...

if the right deal comes along, go for it.