PDA

View Full Version : Birdman: Nuggets Can Take Next Step

JordansBulls
10-25-2009, 09:17 PM
Source: Denverpost (http://www.denverpost.com/sports/ci_13636212)

Birdman said he remains more focused on what the Nuggets will do as a team, rather than what he does.

"Now that we've been to the Western Conference finals, we know what it takes. We know how hard we have to play to get there," Andersen said. "And we can do it. Everybody knows how great we are now."

VCaintdead17
10-25-2009, 09:27 PM
Losing both Jones and Klieza is huge for them. I think in order to remain at the top, JR Smith is going to need to step his game up, HUGE.

Wilson
10-25-2009, 09:56 PM
Losing both Jones and Klieza is huge for them. I think in order to remain at the top, JR Smith is going to need to step his game up, HUGE.

I disagree. They got Arron Afflalo, who gives them everything Dahntay Jones would give them, only he's younger. They also got Ty Lawson who looks pretty good in pre-season.

I've loved the make up of their roster ever since they traded for Chauncey Billups, if Nene can evolve into a consistent 17+ PPG scorer, there's no reason they can't win a championship. In fact even if he doesn't, I think they're good enough to win one.

TheKing23
10-25-2009, 10:06 PM
I disagree. They got Arron Afflalo, who gives them everything Dahntay Jones would give them, only he's younger. They also got Ty Lawson who looks pretty good in pre-season.

I've loved the make up of their roster ever since they traded for Chauncey Billups, if Nene can evolve into a consistent 17+ PPG scorer, there's no reason they can't win a championship. In fact even if he doesn't, I think they're good enough to win one.

I agree. I didn't think Kleiza bought much to the team apart from shooting, and Jones was only there for the defense. I think Afflalo is an upgrade and Ty Lawson looks great, will be a fantastic back up to Chauncey.

I don't see Nene being more than a 15 PPG scorer, but I see Carmelo really stepping his game up and being mentioned as an MVP candidate. I can see him putting up around 25-28 PPG and really carrying this team deep into the playoffs.

Wilson
10-25-2009, 10:11 PM
I agree. I didn't think Kleiza bought much to the team apart from shooting, and Jones was only there for the defense. I think Afflalo is an upgrade and Ty Lawson looks great, will be a fantastic back up to Chauncey.

I don't see Nene being more than a 15 PPG scorer, but I see Carmelo really stepping his game up and being mentioned as an MVP candidate. I can see him putting up around 25-28 PPG and really carrying this team deep into the playoffs.

What I like about 'Melo is that he's really worked on his defense. In the Western Conference Finals last season he really worked his *** off defensively. Now, with a full summer to work on it, and a full training camp with Chauncey Billups, he should be able to make a big jump on that end.

_KB24_
10-25-2009, 10:57 PM
Thugman and Thug-Mart are taking the Thuggets nowhere...

JKJK, I just hate those two....

I really think that they can snatch that second seed...

Wilson
10-25-2009, 11:03 PM
Thugman and Thug-Mart are taking the Thuggets nowhere...

JKJK, I just hate those two....

I really think that they can snatch that second seed...

I think they're the favourites to. They're a really good team, and San Antonio aren't going to burn out their older guys in the regular season for a high seed. For the Spurs homecourt advantage is a luxury, but they can live without it.

Ace33Bone
10-26-2009, 12:42 PM
the thing that is going to hurt the nuggets is that they only have 3 legit scorers and one of them is an on and off piece in JR smith... I do not think the addition of affalo is going to help think they are expecting way to much out of him and I think in order for them to have remotely the same success as they had last year that K-MArt and Ne Ne will have to put up big numbers

Wilson
10-26-2009, 12:57 PM
the thing that is going to hurt the nuggets is that they only have 3 legit scorers and one of them is an on and off piece in JR smith... I do not think the addition of affalo is going to help think they are expecting way to much out of him and I think in order for them to have remotely the same success as they had last year that K-MArt and Ne Ne will have to put up big numbers

They can defend anyone though, especially with Carmelo's improvement there.

I don't think they're asking too much out of Afflalo, just defense and spot up shooting, which he's fine at.

RaiderLakersA's
10-26-2009, 01:04 PM
Do they really have the depth to do it? I don't know. I've always seen the Nuggets as an injury (and a Lakers team in their way) away from greatness. I think many people are underestimating the Nugs, but I doubt, seriously, that they get it done this year. I do see them finishing in the top 4 seeds in the West, though.

Wilson
10-26-2009, 01:08 PM
Do they really have the depth to do it? I don't know. I've always seen the Nuggets as an injury (and a Lakers team in their way) away from greatness. I think many people are underestimating the Nugs, but I doubt, seriously, that they get it done this year. I do see them finishing in the top 4 seeds in the West, though.

Front-court depth could be an issue. If Nene, Kenyon Martin or Chris Andersen goes down they could be in a lot of trouble.

Their depth is great on the wings though, they have a lot of good players there. Enough to deal with injuries in the regular season.

BkOriginalOne
10-26-2009, 01:16 PM
Billups is going to make Ty Lawson and upgraded Stuckey by season's end.

iggypop123
10-26-2009, 01:29 PM
lakers and spurs would have no problem destroying the nuggets. not good enough. afflalo will get destroyed by kobe, and nene was dominated by mbenga in preseason. not looking good for him

BoltLakerPadre
10-26-2009, 01:50 PM

I thought the same thing about losing Jones and Klieza, but I just read in ESPN the Magazine that those two players had their lost on-court/off-court point differential, so maybe losing them is a plus.