PDA

View Full Version : Does the NBA promote players over teams too much?

lavell12
10-25-2009, 03:30 AM
In every sport the league works to promote certain players but in the NBA more than any sport the league promotes the individuals instead of the teams. This goes down to fans as well, you don't hear as many debates about individual atheletes in other sports. Its not about which teams are better but if LeBron is better than Kobe. I find myself trapped into this as I check boxscores for players more than which teams win and lose. Obviously with 5 players on the court for each team the importance of one player is greater than any sport.

abe_froman
10-25-2009, 03:33 AM
its always been this way,so yeah i dont see a problem with it

though i dont doubt someone will come in here *****ing that it use to be teams and never promoted stars

talk about promoting players over teams:mikan v.the knicks :laugh:
http://home.comcast.net/~pete_anderson/mikan.jpg

IDB Josh M
10-25-2009, 03:35 AM
Its because in the other sports (with the exception of hockey and Soccer) the big names don't actually go head to head with one another. Look at football, Drew Brees doesn't go up against Bret Favre in a head to head matchup, its Drew Brees up against the Viking's Defense and Bret Favre against the Saint Offense. The Marque players aren't on the same field together. Same thing with Baseball, you're not going to see A-Rod against Ryan Howard in the World Series. Oh sure it will be touted like that, but A-Rod is against the pitcher, and against fielding.

Now look at basketball. Kobe vs Lebron. Kobe has the ball, Lebron will defend. Lebron has the ball, Kobe will defend. Unlike the other sports, they go head to head, with their respective teams playing supporting cast.

Hellcrooner
10-25-2009, 03:48 AM
yes .

Sterns fault.

This wasnt that way back in the mid 80s you had Lakers fans and pistons fans ands Celtics fans, you didnt care for the name in the back of the shirt bu for the shirts with your colours and the name of your TEAM.

I never discussed with my friends about Magic being better or worse than Larry we discussed about lakers o celtics being the best team.

We also never told, Look Magic WOn the ring or Larry won the ring no we said LAkers won the ring or Celtics won the ring.

There where not people who bashed Worhtys or Mchales or dumas abilities by calling them SECOND BANANa.

there where not people who bashe Parish or Lambieer or kareem saying they were just role players .

Wins were a collecive succes and loses where a collective faliuluer.

I dont recall anyone saying Magi didnt win witout Kareem or Karrem was a nobody and led lakers to nowher withouth magic

or Kareem coudl not win without an all star pg ( mqgi c and oscar)

When did this change?

Michael Freaking ****ing god sends him to rot in hell Jeffrey i sput in your ****ings mom little breasts Jordan.

Sonny Vaccaro, Nike and stern = the ****ing actual star sistem

Raph12
10-25-2009, 04:02 AM
Who cares, everyone has a preference in players and teams; there is no need to over-promote teams, if the team does well, they will receive attention, but players on bad teams are often overlooked, so promoting them makes sense.

Tribe
10-25-2009, 04:12 AM
I've never seen a team promotion from the NBA...cant really think of any for the other sports either though

B.JenningsMVP
10-25-2009, 04:36 AM
Its because in the other sports (with the exception of hockey and Soccer) the big names don't actually go head to head with one another. Look at football, Drew Brees doesn't go up against Bret Favre in a head to head matchup, its Drew Brees up against the Viking's Defense and Bret Favre against the Saint Offense. The Marque players aren't on the same field together. Same thing with Baseball, you're not going to see A-Rod against Ryan Howard in the World Series. Oh sure it will be touted like that, but A-Rod is against the pitcher, and against fielding.

Now look at basketball. Kobe vs Lebron. Kobe has the ball, Lebron will defend. Lebron has the ball, Kobe will defend. Unlike the other sports, they go head to head, with their respective teams playing supporting cast.

this

kArSoN RyDaH
10-25-2009, 05:14 AM
True. I wish they would promote teams rather than players. It would make discusssions less tense and people wouldnt care rather or not they have their favorite player on the all star team but rather that their team wins.

GunFactor187
10-25-2009, 01:08 PM
And it's because of the fact that basketball players don't wear helmets either so pretty much your stars are easily recognizable, and you can market off them by doing so.

jetsfan28
10-25-2009, 01:13 PM
No. Players are more marketable, it's that simple. You're more likely to buy a LeBron jersey because you like LeBron than a Mo Willimas jersey because you like the Cavs.

Hellcrooner
10-25-2009, 01:56 PM
No. Players are more marketable, it's that simple. You're more likely to buy a LeBron jersey because you like LeBron than a Mo Willimas jersey because you like the Cavs.

false people buy soccer teams jerseys WITH NO NAME in it.

and n their shop they always have jereseys with the names of every player in the roster not only the stars, and they have it because people buy them.

in fact in soccer people tends to have favourite players thqt are not near to being stars.

why? because soccer promotes teams not players.

TannerOwnsDevin
10-25-2009, 02:14 PM
Its inevtiable because one or two player will always stand out from the rest, so promoting an individual is necessary.

The NBA is a league of stars just like any typical multi million professional sport association. Majority of the sports fans watch the game because of a franchise player's unique ability to make the game exciting, not because you have 12 athletes out there playing basketball. There's a reason why team loses its fan appeal when their marquee players goes down on an injury of some sort. Also, the league is generated by sponsors besides its fans. And they're not going to pay or support a team because of its heritage or potential. You show your best product on the floor, and see how your paying customers reacts and you get the interests of several investors on that basis.

Raph12
10-25-2009, 02:58 PM
false people buy soccer teams jerseys WITH NO NAME in it.

and n their shop they always have jereseys with the names of every player in the roster not only the stars, and they have it because people buy them.

in fact in soccer people tends to have favourite players thqt are not near to being stars.

why? because soccer promotes teams not players.

Yes but their players are ridiculously overpaid, I mean $250 million/5 years for David Beckham, seriously... soccer is a team sport, no one man can make that much of a difference in the game.