PDA

View Full Version : Does Kevin Durant have the trait of a winner?

TannerOwnsDevin
10-24-2009, 10:50 PM
A recent articles exposed Durant as a player who does'nt do much for his teammates. The data showed every player on the player has a negative (-/+) rating when he's on the floor with them, and when he's on the bench their -/+ ratings goes up.

Im not a big fan of this +/- rating. i think its an absolute crap, but efficient players like Lebron, Pau Gasol, Chris Paul, Dwight Howard, Kevin Garnett, Tony Parker, Kobe Bryant and D. Wade seems to fare well in this formula, so the stat probably is not as bad as some people think.

So, I want to give this kid the benefit of a doubt.

Can you build a championship around him with 2 All Star caliber players ( Player must not be in the Top 10 category) along with a healthy supply of veterans around him?

The team must be able to beat teams like Cleveland, San Antonio, LA Lakers, Boston Celtics or the Olrando Magic. So that being said, you can't take any players from those teams. Other than that and using the rules above. Have it your way and give this Multi talented kid a championship team.

TheKing23
10-24-2009, 11:13 PM
PG: Deron Williams
SG: Shane Battier
SF: Kevin Durant
PF: LaMarcus Aldridge
C: Al Jefferson

NBA championship, thank you.

JordansBulls
10-24-2009, 11:15 PM
He needs to make the playoffs first. This will be his 3rd year in the league.

sp1derm00
10-24-2009, 11:17 PM
PG: Hinrich
SG: Brandon Roy
SF: Durant
PF: Al Jefferson
C: Bynum

TannerOwnsDevin
10-24-2009, 11:20 PM

wait. i just said you can use players from 5 title contenders. so bynum needs to be taken out

TheKing23
10-24-2009, 11:23 PM

I was thinking about putting Roy in as well but I don't think him and Durant would work well together... Too similar.

They both need the ball in their hands to be effective. Also a PG like Deron Williams would be an ideal compliment to Durant.

Wilson
10-24-2009, 11:34 PM
PG: Chauncey Billups/Steve Blake
SG: Mike Miller/Rudy Fernandez
SF: Kevin Durant/Trevor Ariza
PF: Pau Gasol/Kevin Love
C: Kendrick Perkins

Back-court - Great defense, very good offense off the ball. Can competently control the ball when Durant isn't on the floor.

Front-court - Great offensive post threat (if you consider Pau top ten, just switch him with a guy like Bosh, Dirk or Al Jefferson - I don't think anyone considers them all top ten), as well as great defense.

Bench - Another leader in Steve Blake, explosive scorer in Rudy Fernandez, great defender and leaderin Battier, and a very good, young rebounding machine in Kevin Love.

EDIT: And to answer the question in the thread title, I do think he has the trait of a winner. It's still very early in his career, but I read somewhere that he spent a good portion of the summer working on his defense. He also approached Kobe Bryant asking for advice earlier in his career (I think it was at a Team USA camp) - this is what winners do.

TannerOwnsDevin
10-24-2009, 11:36 PM
My team

Chauncey Billups
Joe Johnson
Kevin Durant
AL Horford
Al Jefferson

Bench

Paul Millsap
Shane Battier
Javale McGee
Courtney Lee
Jason Kapono
Marcus Camby
Jose Calderon

Championship Oklahoma. You got it!!!

JordansBulls
10-25-2009, 09:08 AM
PG Derrick Rose
SG John Salmons
SF Kevin Durant
PF Chris Bosh
C Joakim Noah

-Kobe24-TJ19-
10-25-2009, 10:02 AM
SG: Shane Battier
PF: LaMarcus Aldridge
C: Al Jefferson

NBA championship, thank you.

ummmm...NOPE!

JNA17
10-25-2009, 12:51 PM
PF: Chris Bosh
C: Pau Gasol

i win :)

TannerOwnsDevin
10-25-2009, 02:17 PM
PG Derrick Rose
SG John Salmons
SF Kevin Durant
PF Chris Bosh
C Joakim Noah

team will lose to boston in 5 games

Wilson
10-25-2009, 02:21 PM
The problem I see with most teams listed is in the backcourt. Deron Williams and Brandon Roy are both great players, but they both control the ball a lot. They create offense for their team-mates - Kevin Durant doesn't need that. If you take the ball out of Durant's hands, you're not playing to his strengths, same story for Williams and Roy.

I put Chauncey Billups and Mike Miller in the back-court because they can both control the ball if need be, but they're great and very accustomed to moving off the ball and spotting up.

TheKing23
10-25-2009, 02:28 PM
ummmm...NOPE!

Thanks for the insightful feedback. Care to explain why, or did you just not see Kobe's name and immediately disregard it?

TheKing23
10-25-2009, 02:29 PM
PF: Chris Bosh
C: Pau Gasol

i win :)

You didn't read the first post... You're only allowed to use two all-stars.

TannerOwnsDevin
10-25-2009, 02:33 PM
The problem I see with most teams listed is in the backcourt. Deron Williams and Brandon Roy are both great players, but they both control the ball a lot. They create offense for their team-mates - Kevin Durant doesn't need that. If you take the ball out of Durant's hands, you're not playing to his strengths, same story for Williams and Roy.

I put Chauncey Billups and Mike Miller in the back-court because they can both control the ball if need be, but they're great and very accustomed to moving off the ball and spotting up.

thank you. i feel the same way thats why i picked billups for my pointguard and joe johnson who could be a great spot up shooter (like miller).

i dont believe in frontloading with talented offensive players all around.

Wilson
10-25-2009, 02:37 PM
thank you. i feel the same way thats why i picked billups for my pointguard and joe johnson who could be a great spot up shooter (like miller).

i dont believe in frontloading with talented offensive players all around.

It's the problem team USA had all those years (besides countries like Spain and Greece getting better). Everyone on the team wanted to score, so there was no chemistry.

When the USA got back the gold medal, it came with guys focusing much more on defense and offensive balance.

TannerOwnsDevin
10-25-2009, 02:39 PM
word^

xbrackattackx
10-25-2009, 06:34 PM
Another "How good is Durant gonna be?/ Is he good enough to win?" thread. Cool.

Baller1
10-26-2009, 12:25 AM
Keep the team he has now, and give them a couple years.

Ace33Bone
10-26-2009, 12:49 PM
Deron Williams
Joe Johnson
Kevin Durant
Amare Stoudamire
Mark Blount