PDA

View Full Version : Stern says he would be fine if Lebron stayed in Cleveland

Raps08-09 Champ
10-24-2009, 07:55 PM
...that he wants LeBron James to stay with the Cavaliers when he becomes a free agent after this upcoming season.

“None whatsoever, although I hope it is in Cleveland,” Stern said when asked where he thinks James will finish his career.

http://www.nypost.com/p/blogs/backpage/stern_to_lebron_stay_in_cleveland_WPWhjac2rpiMMgln G4nZbL

There is a video of him saying it in the link

You guys buying it?

ChiSox219
10-24-2009, 07:56 PM
:facepalm:

bigsams50
10-24-2009, 08:00 PM
Not really his choice is it?

Strumpy
10-24-2009, 08:04 PM
:laugh::laugh:
what a load of crap

JordansBulls
10-24-2009, 08:10 PM
Well let's hope he goes to Chicago.

SteveNash
10-24-2009, 08:11 PM
He might actually be telling the truth. Sure New York would be big, but they'd still have to win, something they'd have trouble doing even if LeBron was their.

And of course Cleveland would be gutted.

TheKing23
10-24-2009, 08:34 PM
Stern couldn't give a **** were LeBron goes as long as he wins (so he might as well stay in Cleveland). Stern will milk him for all the money he's worth wherever he plays.

ChiSox219
10-24-2009, 08:40 PM
Stern has done a good job rigging the NBA so I can't argue with him now.

Cleveland vs LA/Portland will be entertaining for several years.

Wilson
10-24-2009, 09:43 PM
I'm not really buying it, he's just saying the right thing. Stern is a business man and you know he knows how much money can be made of LeBron in New York.

_KB24_
10-24-2009, 10:10 PM
Nice try Stern. EVERYBODY knows that Stern would suck JAMES's dick for him to end up in a big market city such as LA or NY, preferably NY.

Hustla23
10-24-2009, 10:29 PM
Fatboy strikes again.

asandhu23
10-24-2009, 10:53 PM
right........ :rolleyes:

abe_froman
10-25-2009, 12:31 AM
yeah.he's done a hell of alot under is tenure to try and help out small market teams and give them some level of viability(in attempt to make it liike nfl),and all those conspiracy theories about him rigging the draft that nyer's like to think has never materialized.so this preferential great love for ny that people want to think he has, might not be as great as they want to believe

Raps08-09 Champ
10-25-2009, 12:39 AM
Yea I don't get that with him fixing the league and trying to help big market teams

The Knicks and Kings have been crap for what seems like forever.

They have also been big-high medium market teams who has been sub par at least half of this decade with Chicago, Celtics, Miami, Atlanta, Orlando and etc.

But there are medium market teams who have done well for most of this decade like San Antonio, Minnesota, Utah, and a couple of others.

Wilson
10-25-2009, 12:41 AM
I wouldn't say that he's rigged the league, but I do believe that he wants LeBron to go to New York. He's a business man, he wants to make money, and LeBron in New York will make a lot of money...

JNA17
10-25-2009, 12:56 AM
am i the only one who sees something wrong with this picture? People are asking if Stern is ok with lebron staying when it's not even Stern's choice to say whether lebron leaves or not?

J4KOP99
10-25-2009, 12:57 AM
Business wise, everyone and their mother knows LeBron to NY, LA or Chi would be better but what do you want David Stern, the league comish, to say?

Of course he will say that. Not really news IMO.

Yes I am buying it because those big cities will make their money either way but Cleveland w/o LeBron will not make nearly as much money so I am sure Stern would not mind if he stayed.

abe_froman
10-25-2009, 12:59 AM
am i the only one who sees something wrong with this picture? People are asking if Stern is ok with lebron staying when it's not even Stern's choice to say whether lebron leaves or not?

he was asked by the interviewer what he thought lebron would do in the summer

abe_froman
10-25-2009, 01:01 AM
Business wise, everyone and their mother knows LeBron to NY, LA or Chi would be better but what do you want David Stern, the league comish, to say?

Of course he will say that. Not really news IMO.

Yes I am buying it because those big cities will make their money either way but Cleveland w/o LeBron will not make nearly as much money so I am sure Stern would not mind if he stayed.

pretty good way to look at it

Sly Guy
10-25-2009, 12:50 PM
pretty good way to look at it

Actually, I don't think it is.

Stern's job is to look at the big picture over the entire league. He's interested in maximizing the profits over the entire league not over a single franchise. LeBron in NYC or another big market is of far more value to the NBA as a whole than LeBron in Cleveland. More viewers, more revenue. Not that he has any control over it, but I'd go so far as to say that he would hope that LeBron moves this summer.

LA_Raiders
10-25-2009, 01:01 PM
BStern? Come on guys you should know him by now, thats pure BS what he said, he would love to see CryBron in NY...

LA vs NY = $$$

MiamiHeat
10-25-2009, 01:03 PM
bs

J4KOP99
10-25-2009, 01:14 PM

Stern's job is to look at the big picture over the entire league. He's interested in maximizing the profits over the entire league not over a single franchise. LeBron in NYC or another big market is of far more value to the NBA as a whole than LeBron in Cleveland. More viewers, more revenue. Not that he has any control over it, but I'd go so far as to say that he would hope that LeBron moves this summer.

I am going to go out on a limb and say that you have no idea if what you said is even true or not.

If it is, show me where you found that out. If LeBron leaves cleveland, that franchise goes down the *******. As of now, they are selling out every night, on National TV almost every week and Lebron himself brings in a crowd of his own that are not even Cav fans.

Let's compare that to the city you brought up, NYC. As it is currently, the Knicks already sell out every game, they do not have a ton of Nat'l games but they have their own network, MSG, that brings in a ton of money. If LeBron came, yes he would add a lot of excitement to the city, but from a financial standpoint, I really have no idea what that would mean.

I still think that if LeBron stayed in Cleveland, it would be better off for the NBA.

lavell12
10-25-2009, 01:29 PM
LeBron going to NY in the long run may work but in the short term it could really hurt, the Knicks would have to get rid of any good players with any high salary just to pay LeBron under the cap.

abe_froman
10-25-2009, 02:58 PM

you say look at the big picture(which your not),and that he owes to entire league,not just one franchise(which your advocating for).

ny is crap and getting a star help exposure,they are already top 10,a leader in league revenue as it is.but the other team?

so the question isnt just he would be huge in ny=good.but rather,does the added revenue from ny out weigh the loss of millions that would happen to cle(as no one watches them anymore or buy any of their merchandise)?

what happens to cle.which everyone neglects in this discussion,only focusing on ny alone.the bigger picture

Sly Guy
10-25-2009, 07:56 PM
you're tell me that there isn't going to be more nationwide interest in LeBron being in NYC than Cleveland?

Com'on. It's the same reason why everyone predicts Bosh will leave Toronto, because he gets more exposure elsewhere. Simply put there's more nation-wide interest in LeBron being in a bigger market. There are more fans, and potential fans of the NYK over the US as a whole than there will ever be for Cleveland.

Just because Cleveland gets national exposure with LeBron doesn't mean that's where the biggest potential money is in TV coverage. People tune in to see a Cleveland game because that's where they have to tune in to see LeBron, or they're simply local fans of Cleveland. Assume for instance, that those that are fans of LeBron, will tune in to whatever game he plays in. The difference will be when you're drawing the local fans, and there are far more of those tuning into NYK games than Cleveland will ever have. So regardless of whether it's a local telecast or a national one, bigger markets = bigger profits for the NBA. Hence why Stern would want LeBron in NYC.

Why do you think it's the case that national TV ratings for the finals is greatly dependent on the size of the markets that those teams represent? Local interest is the difference maker in league revenues, no matter how much you might promote the game over the team. And it's because of this, cities like NY and LA have no rival.