PDA

View Full Version : Ricky Rubio

kenzo400
10-24-2009, 04:08 PM
I don't understand this guy. If he didn't want to get drafted by a low market team and was so picky, why did he declare for the draft? Why didn't he just outright sign with the Knicks or another team?

abe_froman
10-24-2009, 04:13 PM
because you cant do that

Cubs Win
10-24-2009, 04:14 PM
because you cant do that

Haha short and to the point.

kEviN21
10-24-2009, 04:15 PM
Apparently you don't know much about the situation. He would have to buyout his current contract which is like 4 million and any NBA team that drafted him could only help by paying 500,000. Rookie contracts in the NBA aren't all too much either. Pretty much the Twolves own his rights and he'll come over in 1 or 2 years. He probably thought by being in New York or so some company like Nike would've gave him a million dollar endorsement or so.

kenzo400
10-24-2009, 04:22 PM
Apparently you don't know much about the situation. He would have to buyout his current contract which is like 4 million and any NBA team that drafted him could only help by paying 500,000. Rookie contracts in the NBA aren't all too much either. Pretty much the Twolves own his rights and he'll come over in 1 or 2 years. He probably thought by being in New York or so some company like Nike would've gave him a million dollar endorsement or so.

Yes i do know the situation. He would have had to get bought out. But what difference would the draft have made in that regard? The same problem would have come up. However his initial problem of not wanting to play for Oklahoma or Minnesota or any other low market teams would have been solved.

Hellcrooner
10-24-2009, 04:27 PM
well if he was drafted for new york or clippers its very possible he woudl have find enough endorsers to pay the buyout.

anyway i think he has done the right thing starying for two more seasons in order to reach the league more muscled, more experienced and much more nba ready at age 20!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

only thing i dont like is he is giving too much time to flynn to establish himself and will have a tougher task into starting right away.

blazerman
10-24-2009, 04:28 PM
He's property of the Twolves anyway you look at it and the only way he see's NY is they Flynn blows up in the next 2yrs and NY gets some talent to trade for him.
I think in 2 yrs he will want to be a part of the Twolves because they have a nice core and should be about ready to make some noise in the west by then.

kenzo400
10-24-2009, 04:44 PM
Yes but can someone please tell me why he had to declare for the draft? Plenty of European players have been signed outright without being in the nba draft. So why did he have to do it?

Hellcrooner
10-24-2009, 04:46 PM
the players that have signed outright like Calderon or Garbajosa where 24 or over and had never been drafted.

If rubio never declared, given how good he is you can bet your arse that some team woudl have drafted him in his draft class even if he did not show interest in playing in nba.

abe_froman
10-24-2009, 04:50 PM
Yes but can someone please tell me why he had to declare for the draft? Plenty of European players have been signed outright without being in the nba draft. So why did he have to do it?

because it would destroy the point of the draft,as instead of players going to who drafts them.would go to whoever offers them the most money/best marketing opportunities or already championship teams.so whats the point of holding draft,it would just be another f.a.

and those players were older and went undrafted

Young and Stupid
10-24-2009, 05:19 PM

:facepalm: This is a comical thread right? You're not seriously asking why a player can't just forgo the draft and join w/e team he wants. You're better than that come on...

kenzo400
10-24-2009, 06:13 PM
I understand that he cannot. But i am just wondering exactly why. This rule is not clear because not every player that wasn't in the draft and got into the NBA was 24 or older.