PDA

View Full Version : Brandon Roy's thoughts on Andre Millers role on the team

Chronz
10-24-2009, 11:44 AM
http://blog.oregonlive.com/behindblazersbeat/2009/10/behind_the_blazers_locker_room_19.html

“And does Andre say OK, I will come off the bench and make sure this is the best second lineup in the NBA? Or is he going to say, Steve is starting, I’m going to relax?’’

“But it only fits if they want it to fit,’’ Roy said. “They can make it a great second lineup. If that's the bench lineup, they can make it great. Andre has to make that sacrifice and say, ‘I'm going to make this my lineup. We're going to be ready every time. I don't care if the starters come out and get behind by 20, we're going to come out and put our mark on the game.’’’

I asked why he didn’t just tell that to his teammates.

And that’s when the next veteran move of Roy was revealed. He was already two steps ahead.

“We will meet as a team before the season starts – players only – and we will talk and I will express how I feel,’’ Roy said. “We have to have that mindset if we are going to be considered an elite team. And that’s something I have to express to the team. Because man, if we can do that … we will be a tough team. A really good team.

“But it has to be said.’’
Commence Bashing

mrblisterdundee
10-24-2009, 12:09 PM
That's a nice sentiment from Brandon Roy, but I still believe that Andre Miller was the wrong choice. Portland should have signed Ramon Sessions, who would have been even more explosive than its current 33-year old addition. It's really about consolidation, which Portland has only staved off for another two to three years.
It has too many good players, believe it or not. At point guard, there are three options good enough to start or be a primary back-up (although one of them isn't a true point guard). Jerryd Bayless, in my opinion, should have been the one to go in exchange for a talented, young and true point guard like Sessions. Just insert Sessions (or any number of talented, young and available point guards) as the starter, and use Blake as the primary back-up. Then Portland is set at point guard for a long time.

lakerboy
10-24-2009, 04:25 PM
Ptb gm = fail

Hellcrooner
10-24-2009, 04:29 PM
they should have saved the cap space and award more minutes to bayless and rudy.

iggypop123
10-24-2009, 07:51 PM
if they thought miller wasnt a starter they should have tried for david lee. idiots

Bruno
10-24-2009, 07:58 PM
if they thought miller wasnt a starter they should have tried for david lee. idiots

I was thinking the exact same thing.

ChiSox219
10-24-2009, 07:59 PM
they should have saved the cap space and award more minutes to bayless and rudy.

Whatever cap space they saved would have been spent on Aldridge.

SteveNash
10-24-2009, 08:05 PM

They made Lee an offer and gave him one day to accept. His agent thought Lee was going to be able to get a $50 mil. Didn't turn out the way Lee expected.

Kakaroach
10-24-2009, 09:28 PM
Yeah they should have just saved the capspace. Why give all that money to a PG that doesn't even fit your style of play? Bad move by Pritchard. Miller is a good player, but he just doesn't fit in with that team.

BoltLakerPadre
10-24-2009, 09:44 PM
Pritchard drafted well, collected young talent, traded picks and what not, but if this fails, it will be for naught. Especially since other teams now don't want to deal with him. At least they have their core.

blazerman
10-24-2009, 09:47 PM
Chronz your a ****, there's your bashing you asked for!

Miller is a good player not every player just comes in and can expect to take over a team, Kidd didnt have it so easy coming back into Dallas but he got it rolling pretty good by the playoffs.

Artest hasnt looked like a perfect fit in LA and you could easily say Odom could be as effective of a starter but give Artest a little time and he'll make the Lakers tough as nails. Give Miller a little time and he'll be the Blazers starter and have them running on all cylinders.

Watch out for Clipper bashing threads in the near future if you want to try that crap on other teams Chronz.

Chronz
10-24-2009, 10:18 PM
Chronz your a ****, there's your bashing you asked for!

Miller is a good player not every player just comes in and can expect to take over a team, Kidd didnt have it so easy coming back into Dallas but he got it rolling pretty good by the playoffs.
I have no idea what you think I was asking for, just so we're clear I never expected them to start Dre when he can fit better with Rudy, Outlaw and Webster in the quicker 2nd unit.

The bashing I was expecting was to be directed at Roy, the way people were bashing the decision when it was the coaching staffs idea. Now notice how now that its coming from Roys mouth everyone staying quiet.... I understand their reasoning, its not as dumb as people make it seem to be.

Artest hasnt looked like a perfect fit in LA and you could easily say Odom could be as effective of a starter but give Artest a little time and he'll make the Lakers tough as nails. Give Miller a little time and he'll be the Blazers starter and have them running on all cylinders.

I doubt it but what does this have to do with anything? I never said Dre couldnt help the team, I just doubt it will be in the starting lineup.

Watch out for Clipper bashing threads in the near future if you want to try that crap on other teams Chronz.

Nice ... :box:

Chronz
10-24-2009, 10:25 PM
That's a nice sentiment from Brandon Roy, but I still believe that Andre Miller was the wrong choice. Portland should have signed Ramon Sessions, who would have been even more explosive than its current 33-year old addition. It's really about consolidation, which Portland has only staved off for another two to three years.
It has too many good players, believe it or not. At point guard, there are three options good enough to start or be a primary back-up (although one of them isn't a true point guard). Jerryd Bayless, in my opinion, should have been the one to go in exchange for a talented, young and true point guard like Sessions. Just insert Sessions (or any number of talented, young and available point guards) as the starter, and use Blake as the primary back-up. Then Portland is set at point guard for a long time.

I agree with the selection but Sessions provides similar problems for the team with his lack of shooting. In fact in many ways Sessions seems destined of being the next Andre Miller in terms of career value. You always knew they were good, yet somehow always undervalued in the open market.

blazerman
10-24-2009, 10:31 PM
I have no idea what you think I was asking for, just so we're clear I never expected them to start Dre when he can fit better with Rudy, Outlaw and Webster in the quicker 2nd unit.

The bashing I was expecting was to be directed at Roy, the way people were bashing the decision when it was the coaching staffs idea. Now notice how now that its coming from Roys mouth everyone staying quiet.... I understand their reasoning, its not as dumb as people make it seem to be.

I doubt it but what does this have to do with anything? I never said Dre couldnt help the team, I just doubt it will be in the starting lineup.

Nice ... :box:

Ok, I was mistaken on what you meant, my bad I guess Im the **** on this one.

I just threw the Clipper bashing thing in there to be a wise guy too, I dont like bashing up and coming teams anyway only established ones with issues.

JordansBulls
10-24-2009, 10:42 PM
It really depends on the situation. Blake shot 42% from 3 point range last year. I think it is good if he starts so that the Blazers will have outside shooting. However, I also believe it would help having another guy in the lineup that can create other than Roy so that Roy can play off the ball.

So here is my suggestion. For home games start Blake as he will usually shoot better at home. For Road games start Miller, so that the Blazers have another guy to create.

Toenail Clipper
10-24-2009, 11:03 PM
Chronz, you're a Clipper fan?

Chronz
10-24-2009, 11:56 PM
Chronz, you're a Clipper fan?
What did you think I was

Kakaroach
10-25-2009, 12:05 AM
So here is my suggestion. For home games start Blake as he will usually shoot better at home. For Road games start Miller, so that the Blazers have another guy to create. That's an interesting thought but then neither will be able to get in a rhythm with the starting line-up. And what will happen come playoff time, when chemistry is even more important?

Toenail Clipper
10-25-2009, 02:52 AM
What did you think I was

i dont know.
why are you a fan though? just curiosity

JordansBulls
10-25-2009, 09:03 AM
What did you think I was

Rockets fan.