PDA

View Full Version : Okafor isn’t winning over new teammates

JordansBulls
10-24-2009, 12:47 AM
Source: Yahoosports (http://sports.yahoo.com/nba/news;_ylt=Am9ptZDju8ICvmiR6RLohgW8vLYF?slug=mc-okaforhornets102209&prov=yhoo&type=lgns)

Less than a week before the start of the season, the New Orleans Hornets still don’t know what to make of new center Emeka Okafor(notes). He has yet to play or even practice with them, and his prolonged absence has some team members privately shaking their heads.

Okafor has missed all seven of the Hornets’ preseason games because of a strained toe on his right foot. He isn’t expected to play in Friday’s preseason finale against the Los Angeles Clippers and his status for Wednesday’s season opener against the San Antonio Spurs remains in doubt.

An NBA source told Yahoo! Sports that Okafor was cleared to play by the Hornets’ medical staff two weeks ago and by his own doctor a week later. Most of Okafor’s teammates know he has been cleared and are eager to see whether he works out with them for the first time over the weekend.

“He better practice Sunday or he could lose some guys,” one Hornet said.

Prior to the Hornets’ shootaround on Thursday morning, Okafor acknowledged he has been medically cleared to play “based on how I feel.” He said he hopes to practice on Sunday.

“He might have been cleared medically, but from a mental standpoint he is not cleared,” New Orleans coach Byron Scott said. “In his mind, he says he’s not ready. When you have a guy that says he is not ready, the worst thing you can do is force him to get out there.”

“We have to find a way to get him integrated into what we are trying to do,” Hornets forward David West said.

clutchski
10-24-2009, 12:56 AM
Hmm it's interesting, I think in the end if your new teammates feel this way you should be powering though to prove things to them. Doesn't bode too well if the medical staff says you're good to go, yet mentally you're not there yet. Especially as the Hornets haven't had the strongest of preseasons.

_KB24_
10-24-2009, 01:05 AM
From what I heard, many of the other players were already upset with the departure of Chandler, and this just may add fuel to the fire...

black1605
10-24-2009, 01:06 AM
go bobcats!

TheKing23
10-24-2009, 01:08 AM
Not a good start, but I don't see him as a guy who would have chemistry problems with his teammates.

Wilson
10-24-2009, 01:09 AM
Doesn't sound good...

SirCalvin81
10-24-2009, 01:12 AM
ur only playing with the best pg in the league. wats his problem

abe_froman
10-24-2009, 01:21 AM
maybe this why he was traded for chandler

Chronz
10-24-2009, 01:24 AM
The whole idea of him being an upgrade on Chandler hinged heavily on his ability to play more minutes, this is very bad news for the Hornets.

Trouble87
10-24-2009, 01:54 AM
He needs to man up

Toenail Clipper
10-24-2009, 01:57 AM
The whole idea of him being an upgrade on Chandler hinged heavily on his ability to play more minutes, this is very bad news for the Hornets.

agreed

JordansBulls
10-24-2009, 08:56 AM

I think the Hornets could be legit contenders with him playing.

Ray_R
10-24-2009, 09:16 AM
its a bad start but i think they would work it out. i kinda didnt expect this from okafer i thought ghe would be excited in the situation he was in but who knows :shrug:

Chronz
10-24-2009, 11:29 AM

Not with the swings on that team

Badluck33
10-24-2009, 11:55 AM
He needs to man up

your sig is garbage.

eddy curry is the nations most well recognized bum.

how often does he get it going?

Only time I see Eddy Curry hustle is @ the buffet line.

Bucsfan
10-24-2009, 12:25 PM

I dont, Okafor isnt that great, he is good when he wants to be, but he isnt the type of player to change the whole dynamic of a team

Hornets arent contenders, Paul is great, but i just dont see him as a natural born leader

black1605
10-24-2009, 12:35 PM
Okafor is unmotivated, and unwilling/unable to expand his game. I hope the guy does well, but he is not the explosive player that Chandler was when he was healthy with Paul.

Raps18-19 Champ
10-24-2009, 12:41 PM
I think Okafor is more talented than Chandler but I'm not sure how Okafor and Paul can work like Paul and Chandler.

obrpunk
10-24-2009, 01:13 PM
imo Okafor has a better all-around game than chandler, but i don't think he runs the pick and roll as well which was chandler/pauls bread and butter. that said, i think paul is a good enough floor leader that he will find a way to get okafor in the mix and give him the ball when/where he can be effective (but if he wants the ball, he better get and stay on his teammates good side). THAT said, even if okafor gets back to practice and in playing condition i don't think hes enough to make the hornets legit contenders.

JordansBulls
10-24-2009, 01:15 PM
Not with the swings on that team

Peja and Posey???

Raps18-19 Champ
10-24-2009, 01:27 PM
^And Mo Pete.

DerekRE_3
10-24-2009, 01:30 PM
And this is one of the reasons why we traded him. I mean it was mostly about his big contract, but Larry Brown also called him out on not working as hard on his game as he should. I wish I could find a quote, but basically Brown said that he wished Okafor worked as hard on his game as he did on his body.

hahahaha
10-24-2009, 01:42 PM
not a problem

Toenail Clipper
10-24-2009, 02:44 PM
Peja and Posey???

Their bench is just eh.

bigsams50
10-24-2009, 03:06 PM
So far im loving our deal