PDA

View Full Version : Ex-boxing champs predict Cotto will demolish Pacman on November 14

nba_fanzone
10-23-2009, 11:58 AM
Puerto Rican boxing superstar Miguel Cotto got a much needed confident booster when two former boxing champions picked him to win his incoming mega-fight with Filipino boxing superstar Manny "Pacman" Pacquiao on November 14 at the MGM Grand in Las Vegas.
The two former boxing champions predicted Cotto to win the highly anticipated boxing match due to his size and power advantage.
Former World Boxing Council Lightweight champion Kendalt Holt believe the much bigger Cotto will overpower the smaller Pacquiao come November 14..
He said Pacquiao could not use his vaunted speed in the fight since Cotto knows how to adjust and win against smaller and speedier boxing opponents.
The American boxing star said despite their speed boxing superstars Zab Judah and Shane "Sugar" Mosley both lose to Cotto respectively during their fight.
Former International Boxing Federation Lightweight champion Paul Malignaggi for his part said the big size advantage of Cotto will bring the top boxer of the planet to the canvas on November 14.
Malignaggi who also lose to Cotto during their past boxing fight strongly believe that the much bigger Cotto will teach a boxing lesson to Pacquiao not to miss up with bigger boxers.
He said although Pacquiao has speed it could not hold water against the much bigger brawler who happens to be Cotto.
Despite the opinions of the two former boxing champions, many boxing experts still believe Pacquiao will beat Cotto in their fight.
One of these experts is legendary Mexican boxing trainer Ignacio "Nacho" Beristain who strongly think Pacquiao's speed is just too much for Cotto.
Beristain who trains two of the toughest opponent of Pacquiao Mexican warrior Juan Manuel "Dinamita" Marquez and Mexican boxing superstar Oscar "Golden Boy" Dela Hoya believe the Filipino boxing superstar will surely knockout Cotto due to his superior speed and power advantage.
The legendary boxing trainer said although Cotto is a great boxer his skills had already deteriorated after he suffered a devastating knockout loss to Mexican warrior Antonio Margarito on July 2008.
Beristain said during the last fight of Cotto against Joshua Clottey it was very evident that the Puerto Rican boxer is not the same boxer that he used to be since he suffered big before he achieves victory.
The world class trainer said the decision of Cotto to dump his uncle trainer Evangelista Cotto after their fight had also affected the training and strategy of the top boxer of Puerto Rico.
At the moment Cotto and Pacquiao are training hard to ensure they will emerge victorious in their face-off.
Whose predictions will come true? Find out personally by watching the highly anticipated boxing match (http://www.tickettogames.com/boxing-tickets) live.

H.E.R.
10-23-2009, 12:16 PM
http://www.nowboxing.com/archives/3441
http://www.eastsideboxing.com/forum/showthread.php?t=176242

jetsforever
10-23-2009, 03:23 PM
Cotto gave margarito his all and just couldnt knock him out so its no like he is the most .

I think Pacman will be able to utilize his speed. He is a better boxer then Malinaggi and Zab Judah will ever be so i dont think its really fair to say "they were fast and got killed"

Pac man also isnt speed only. The guy hits hard

NYKnickFanatic
10-25-2009, 06:34 AM
My man Pacquiao will win.

Cotto is going to be tough and give him a hell of a fight, but somehow Manny will pull this out.

Everyone has been doubting Pacquiao his last couple of fights, saying he would lose (Hoya & Hatton), but then when when he came out victorious, there were excuses...

If Manny beats Cotto, I wonder what the excuse will be.

xSolidx
10-27-2009, 06:27 PM
This will be a very tough fight

The difference between Cotto and DLH/Hatton, is that Cotto is actually good and isnt on the downside of his career.

Im heavily rooting for Pacman, but Cotto is a great boxer. I dont really like Cotto, but you gotta respect his abilites, the man is a smart, solid boxer.

JJ_JKidd
11-01-2009, 09:54 PM
My man Pacquiao will win.

Cotto is going to be tough and give him a hell of a fight, but somehow Manny will pull this out.

Everyone has been doubting Pacquiao his last couple of fights, saying he would lose (Hoya & Hatton), but then when when he came out victorious, there were excuses...

If Manny beats Cotto, I wonder what the excuse will be.

Yeah im pretty sure there will excuses again :clap:

Raps18-19 Champ
11-02-2009, 12:14 AM
Only thing I am worried about is Cotto's weight and the fact that Manny has had so many distractions regarding the Philippines.

If it turns out to be a motivation for him, he will win. But if it is more of a distraction, he might lose.

ULT WARRIOR408
11-05-2009, 08:33 PM
All the battles that Cotto has been in are taking its toll on him.Pacman is too quick & agile for him.Pacquiao will win this easily.

2009mvp
11-06-2009, 02:51 AM
^^I dunno dude. How much quicker is a 150-ish lb Pacman than Mosley was when he fought Cotto? It's too easy to just assume Cotto's gonna have a ton of trouble with Pac's speed. Interesting to see how Pacquiao can handle a true welterweight's power, considering he never felt it against Oscar. They're both warriors and it should be an excellent fight, but I think I'm leaning towards Cotto taking control as they get into the later rounds and winning a decision.

ULT WARRIOR408
11-06-2009, 07:55 AM
^We'll see bruh.

WrongIslander
11-06-2009, 09:32 AM
You gotta go with Pac Man, the man is a whirling dervish. Cotto hasn't seen anything like Pac Man's speed so I don't buy you can look to previous as to why Cotto will adapt.

As has been said Pac Man isn't just fast, his shots are hard and scarily accurate for the speed he throws them. He also has more heart.

Pac Man for me.

Havoc Wreaker
11-06-2009, 12:33 PM
I still think people are underrating Cotto way too much, I live in PR and I don't like Cotto at all, but he's a damn good boxer and people are not giving him enough credit, there could be a big surprise next week.

2009mvp
11-06-2009, 02:56 PM
You gotta go with Pac Man, the man is a whirling dervish. Cotto hasn't seen anything like Pac Man's speed so I don't buy you can look to previous as to why Cotto will adapt.

Again, a welterweight Mosley is as quick, if not quicker than Pacquaio at around 150. Cotto was more than able to deal with Sugar Shane, don't see why he'd be overwhelmed by Pacquaio's speed come the 14th. I'm not saying that Pac doesn't have an excellent chance to win the fight, just that the speed advantage is overstated. We've seen Cotto deal with incredible speed against Mosley (hell, and against Judah for that matter), we haven't seen Pacquaio have to really deal with a true welterweight's power however.

As has been said Pac Man isn't just fast, his shots are hard and scarily accurate for the speed he throws them. He also has more heart.

Pac Man for me.

I hate when people act as if heart is some tangible attribute. Pacman's had his wars, Cotto's had his wars, neither of them can ever be criticized of not having the will to win. Who has 'more heart?' Well that's just a silly debate.

Havoc Wreaker
11-06-2009, 05:20 PM
I hope Cotto gets destroyed by PAC-MAN.

But this sounds like a good fight to place a bet on Cotto, seeing as he will be unfavored.

Havoc Wreaker
11-06-2009, 05:21 PM
I hope Cotto gets destroyed by PAC-MAN.

But this sounds like a good fight to place a bet on Cotto, seeing as he will be unfavored.

WrongIslander
11-07-2009, 09:04 AM
Again, a welterweight Mosley is as quick, if not quicker than Pacquaio at around 150. Cotto was more than able to deal with Sugar Shane, don't see why he'd be overwhelmed by Pacquaio's speed come the 14th. I'm not saying that Pac doesn't have an excellent chance to win the fight, just that the speed advantage is overstated. We've seen Cotto deal with incredible speed against Mosley (hell, and against Judah for that matter), we haven't seen Pacquaio have to really deal with a true welterweight's power however.

I hate when people act as if heart is some tangible attribute. Pacman's had his wars, Cotto's had his wars, neither of them can ever be criticized of not having the will to win. Who has 'more heart?' Well that's just a silly debate.

No way is S.S Moseley faster than Pac Man. Not only that the work rate, the accuracy of the shots and the heart.

Heart isn't an intangible it is 9 times out 10 what defines the very good from the great. It is the will to keep going when all seems lost, to keep getting up, to meet every challenge and it is ultimately what seperates true champions from paper champions and Pac Man has it in bucket loads.

ccspence8
11-08-2009, 07:28 PM
Unless Pacman isn't focused he should win the fight. I think its going to be a much closer fight then people think. However Pacman has shown how strong he is, he's getting better each time in the ring and I think he proved in the Hatton fight that he's more than just a quick fighter.

bklynboriqua09
11-11-2009, 04:56 AM
No love for cotto on here??? Must be a bunch of cats who had their g-friends taken by a puerto rican guy... Just playin' . COtto is going to hurt Pacman. He's going to hurt him pretty bad. Cotto will definitely be the hardest puncher Pacman has faced. That left hook is going to hurt. And remember one thing about miguel he is going to keep coming forward he ain't going to retreat. SOmeone's getting knocked out saturday night and my money's on cotto.

stag6004
11-12-2009, 11:26 AM
I can't understand the one sidedness on this forum. Pac Man is a great fighter and I really enjoy watching him, but Cotto is no bum. Pac Man has not faced a true Welterweight (not at the end of his career) and Cotto is a big welterweight, and is not slow. A big key to this fight for Cotto is to slow down Pac Man and the best way to do that is to go to the body and it just so happens that Cotto has a devestating body blow. If he can slow up Pac Man a little bit, he can use his advantage in the power department to wear him down. If Cotto tries to stand there and go punch for punch it will be a long night for him. I am a huge Cotto fan, probably because I am a Cotto myself, and I am pulling hard for him, but it will definitely be a great fight.

Verbal Christ
11-13-2009, 10:49 AM
Cotto went deep into a fight against a guy with loaded gloves. If that doesn't show toughness and attrition then I don't know what does. I find it harder to see what makes pac tough? Apart from a few fights early (resulting in losses) he hasn't been challenged like he will on saturday. Cotto has a chip it should be him in talks of megafights if not for a fiendish act and you better believe he's coming for what is his. No talk shows,no karaoke,no schmoozing with politicians,no ******** ALL buisness. Even roach seemed annoyed by mannys preparation should be a classic.

Fadilles
11-13-2009, 11:52 AM
I'm with the last few posters ... I don't get why everyone is overlooking the fact that Cotto is far and away the biggest, hardest punching fighter Pac has faced. I'm rooting hard for Cotto ... he really comes across as a completely humble and gracious fighter. Not that Manny isn't .. but I'm thinking Cotto might want this more. Finally a mega-fight that hopefully will be worth the hype.. no over-rated, over the hill fighters here.. no hand picked gimme opponents here... 2 men at thier peak who actually fight .. Color me excited!!! :D

Havoc Wreaker
11-13-2009, 06:23 PM
I'm with the last few posters ... I don't get why everyone is overlooking the fact that Cotto is far and away the biggest, hardest punching fighter Pac has faced. I'm rooting hard for Cotto ... he really comes across as a completely humble and gracious fighter. Not that Manny isn't .. but I'm thinking Cotto might want this more. Finally a mega-fight that hopefully will be worth the hype.. no over-rated, over the hill fighters here.. no hand picked gimme opponents here... 2 men at thier peak who actually fight .. Color me excited!!! :D
Cotto is a drunk, uses recreational drugs and all he does is party, when he's not in training. He comes across as a major Douche when he's hanging out. Thus, why I hate him. No discipline, but he's a beast when he's fighting, I have to admit. That said, I hope Manny destroys him and I'm from Puerto Rico.

junion
11-13-2009, 07:43 PM
i'm going with pacquiao. cotto's tough and will be the toughest of pacquiao's fights, but i also think pacquiao got better too.

this isn't an ovbious pacquiao victory, but i'd still have to go with pacman. but i think he'll come out victorious but looking like he did after the first morales fights. with blood.

Raps18-19 Champ
11-13-2009, 08:51 PM
Anyone know the weight of both fighters during weigh in?

xSolidx
11-13-2009, 09:54 PM
Anyone know the weight of both fighters during weigh in?
144-Pacman
145-Cotto

hornitosmonster
11-14-2009, 04:47 PM
Pacquiao will ko Cotto in about 7

Havoc Wreaker
11-15-2009, 02:57 AM
My prediction was 9 rounds, and it almost came true, I'm just glad Pacquiao destroyed him. :nod:

Wiz kids
11-15-2009, 03:00 AM
Yeah......

marvILLous
11-15-2009, 04:56 AM
Cotto went deep into a fight against a guy with loaded gloves. If that doesn't show toughness and attrition then I don't know what does. I find it harder to see what makes pac tough? Apart from a few fights early (resulting in losses) he hasn't been challenged like he will on saturday. Cotto has a chip it should be him in talks of megafights if not for a fiendish act and you better believe he's coming for what is his. No talk shows,no karaoke,no schmoozing with politicians,no ******** ALL buisness. Even roach seemed annoyed by mannys preparation should be a classic.

haha...

DaSox_05
11-15-2009, 11:24 AM
Manny continuing to show the world he is NOT to be messed with!

Fadilles
11-16-2009, 04:29 PM
Well .. it was a really good fight for 5 rds ... i thought Cotto won the 2nd and 5th and was winning the 4th until the knockdown .. but didn't do anything after the 5th. I also thought the knockdown in the 3rd was flukey ... looked more like a offbalance fall than a knockdown. But there's no denying Pac dominated the last 7 rds.. or 6.1 rds.. Surprised Pac was able to hurt Cotto as badly as he did and that Pac was able to withstand a few legit shots he rec'd from Cotto.

Not nearly as good a fight as expected.. but I guess I underestimated Manny's ability to continue to go up in weight and dominate

Verbal Christ
11-16-2009, 06:44 PM
i as well must eat my words and proclaim myself a pacman believer. first time i've seen cotto outclassed by a smaller guy. manny has power from any angle and with both hands, rare combo. i think cotto strayed from his jab which was keeping manny at bay, i dont think he went to the body anywhere near enough to achieve results and IMO the biggest concern while watching the fight for me was the ineptitude coming from his corner, which in no time went from advice and strategy to father/son kiss on the cheeks. while roach is on the other end telling manny EXACTLY what he needs to do, where to attack. so in conclusion it was a very impressive showing for pacman, cotto now must start anew in that division and will we get to see the mayweather/pacquiao showdown?? i will be very hesitant to bet against manny from here on out.

NYKnickFanatic
11-17-2009, 01:40 AM
No love for cotto on here??? Must be a bunch of cats who had their g-friends taken by a puerto rican guy... Just playin' . COtto is going to hurt Pacman. He's going to hurt him pretty bad. Cotto will definitely be the hardest puncher Pacman has faced. That left hook is going to hurt. And remember one thing about miguel he is going to keep coming forward he ain't going to retreat. SOmeone's getting knocked out saturday night and my money's on cotto.

That's funny, because he was looking like a couple of soldiers that were in trouble...retreating just in case you didnt understand.

And that sucks, how much money did you lose?

Havoc Wreaker
11-21-2009, 11:22 AM
i as well must eat my words and proclaim myself a pacman believer. first time i've seen cotto outclassed by a smaller guy. manny has power from any angle and with both hands, rare combo. i think cotto strayed from his jab which was keeping manny at bay, i dont think he went to the body anywhere near enough to achieve results and IMO the biggest concern while watching the fight for me was the ineptitude coming from his corner, which in no time went from advice and strategy to father/son kiss on the cheeks. while roach is on the other end telling manny EXACTLY what he needs to do, where to attack. so in conclusion it was a very impressive showing for pacman, cotto now must start anew in that division and will we get to see the mayweather/pacquiao showdown?? i will be very hesitant to bet against manny from here on out.
Cotto's biggest error was changing trainers after his problems with his uncle. That new corner knows nothing about Boxing and it has shown in his last 2 matches. They don't tell him what to do, he's making the decisions, it's like they're afraid of him.

The fight against Clottey, anyone with half a brain, would've told Cotto to stop fighting in the 6th, when he was clearly ahead, and not risk it fighting with only one eye, but he decided to keep going and they let him. It almost cost him the fight.

Then on this fight, he should've stopped taking punishment way before the 12th, but then again, he's making the decisions and he wanted to continue.

:pity:

rocky4104
11-21-2009, 02:19 PM
Cotto's biggest error was changing trainers after his problems with his uncle. That new corner knows nothing about Boxing and it has shown in his last 2 matches. They don't tell him what to do, he's making the decisions, it's like they're afraid of him.

The fight against Clottey, anyone with half a brain, would've told Cotto to stop fighting in the 6th, when he was clearly ahead, and not risk it fighting with only one eye, but he decided to keep going and they let him. It almost cost him the fight.

Then on this fight, he should've stopped taking punishment way before the 12th, but then again, he's making the decisions and he wanted to continue.

:pity:

did you guys hear cotto's corner? i believe it's the 2nd round - "keep going in, just watch out for his left hand, it's the only thing that he has" or something to that effect - after that he got knocked down by pacman's right. not only did manny outfought cotto, roach outcoached cotto's corner too.

btw, anyone heard anything from de la hoya? kept insisting that pacman's overrated

ccspence8
11-21-2009, 05:01 PM
No one wants to give Pacman any credit. I can't believe people thought Cotto would demolish him. Seriously, Cotto maybe won 2 rounds the whole fight, he is a warrior I'll give him that. However, I think its funny how cotto weighed over 15 pounds more than Pacman on fight night and still he shows how strong & quick he is.

Keep hating haters

Havoc Wreaker
11-22-2009, 03:01 AM
did you guys hear cotto's corner? i believe it's the 2nd round - "keep going in, just watch out for his left hand, it's the only thing that he has" or something to that effect - after that he got knocked down by pacman's right. not only did manny outfought cotto, roach outcoached cotto's corner too.

btw, anyone heard anything from de la hoya? kept insisting that pacman's overrated

Yes, that corner has absolutely no idea what they're doing, it's really sad, they have single-handedly ****ed up his career and by letting him get all that punishment, in both, Clottey's fight and Pacman's fight, they might have also ****ed up his health for good. I think he should just retire right now.

I haven't heard anything, but I don't see De La Hoya as a guy who would say that, I have always looked at Oscar as a classy guy and he's one who has felt Pacman's power first hand, so I doubt that he would make such a statement, unless he is cooking something on the promoting side.

Raps18-19 Champ
11-22-2009, 11:34 AM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JDZFQCgsVw8

Lol I just saw this.

Funny.

aNYer
11-23-2009, 01:27 AM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JDZFQCgsVw8

Lol I just saw this.

Funny.

hahah, I guess practice makes perfect.

jetsforever