PDA

View Full Version : Top 8 seed in Western Conference

hovyboo
10-21-2009, 10:13 AM
So I'm a teacher and during my glorious prep I spoke hoops with my co-workers.

we got in a bit of a squib over who would be the top 8 seeds in the west and what order would they fall in. I'd love if you sports savy PSD member chimed in

my rankings are as follows:

1. Lakers (no debate with anyone here)
2. Spurs (veteran team that improved...win now becausae the time is ticking)
3. Hornets (that Okafor trade has me high on these guys)
4. Nuggets (they could easily be 3 but i think NO has better interior)
5. Dallas (old team will win a lot but break down near playoffs)
6. Portland (they're deep)
7. Jazz (they didnt get much better and the Boozer situation doesnt help)
8. Clippers/Grizzlies (both team can go either way depending how they mesh)

my big beef was everyone being sold that the suns will be in the playoffs..

i'm not going for that one.

Tom81
10-21-2009, 10:17 AM
you think suns have no chance for playoffs ?

hovyboo
10-21-2009, 10:18 AM
I mean everyone else got better

they can make it but i think other teams have better chances

Kakaroach
10-21-2009, 10:30 AM
The Nuggets are better on the interior than the Hornets. Okafor is good but he's not gonna make em a championship squad. The Grizzlies have a shot if their talent meshes and the Clippers if Griffin has a great Rookie year. But the Jazz should and will be better than a 7th seed.

Wilson
10-21-2009, 10:30 AM
I see a few different possibilities:

Scenario One (most likely)
1 - Lakers
2 - Nuggets*
3 - Trail Blazers
4 - Mavericks
5 - Spurs**
6 - Jazz
7 - Hornets
8 - Suns***

*:- I have a hard on for the '09-'10 Denver Nuggets.

**:- I see the Spurs resting their guys during the regular season. This will mean some extra losses during the regular season, but a much fresher team in the play-offs.

***:- Going back to the run and gun system should help them a lot.

Scenario Two
1 - Nuggets
2 - Lakers*
3 - Jazz**
4 - Trail Blazers
5 - Hornets
6 - Mavericks***
7 - Spurs***
8 - T-Wolves/Thunder****

*:- Same story as the Spurs. Heading into the '09-'10 season, Kobe Bryant is 31 years old and Derek Fisher is 35. During the season Ron Artest and Luke Walton turn 30. Pau Gasol turns 30 in July - it's very possible that Phil Jackson might look to rest these guys during the regular season for freshness in the play-offs.

**:- Having Deron Williams and Carlos Boozer healthy all season could do wonders, as should the growth of Paul Millsap.

***:- Resting older guys, see above. This ranking doesn't mean I don't like them in the play-offs. In the post-season I like the Spurs more than anyone besides LA and Denver.

***:- Very young, talented cores. This is a long shot, but I wouldn't be entirely suprised to see it happen. Would be good for basketball as well I think, especially if Kevin Durant gets into the post-season.

Hope this helps hovyboo :cheers:

DrDEADalready
10-21-2009, 10:33 AM
Hornets will get the 8th seed.

jimbobjarree
10-21-2009, 10:44 AM
the Jazz have added a healthy, rested Deron Williams about to have a career year, a healthy Boozer in a contract year and the youth is slowly progressing into reliable players. I'd be shocked if we are as low as 7th without a major injury happening

Vinny642
10-21-2009, 06:06 PM
Jazz fans saying the Hornets will get the 8th seed is like the kettle calling the pot black.

AIMelo=KillaDUO
10-21-2009, 06:33 PM
So I'm a teacher and during my glorious prep I spoke hoops with my co-workers.

we got in a bit of a squib over who would be the top 8 seeds in the west and what order would they fall in. I'd love if you sports savy PSD member chimed in

LOL :facepalm:

prash
10-21-2009, 07:06 PM
1. Lakers
2. Spurs
3. Mavs
4. Hornets
5. TrailBlazers
6. Nuggets
7. Rockets
8. Jazz

GSPftw
10-21-2009, 07:33 PM
1. Lakers
2. Spurs
3. Mavs
4. Hornets
5. TrailBlazers
6. Nuggets
7. Rockets
8. Jazz

This looks spot-on to me, except for the 7-8 seeds. I'd say the jazz make 7 and the rockets (with no yao) will struggle and compete with the suns for the 8 spot. They could make a run and surprise some people like the Warriors did a few years back with a younger and faster team (and Brooks should be even better). But i think the Rockets' perfect storm is another season away. Look out in 2011.

blackjack_119
10-21-2009, 07:54 PM

You are definitely high.

Vinny642
10-21-2009, 07:56 PM
Haha you guys dont think the Hornets are good :facepalm:
The last time u didnt think we were good we won 56 games and was 2nd in the west

thephoenixson28
10-21-2009, 08:04 PM
That's fine count us out just like everyone is so it doesn't matter.

JPHX
10-21-2009, 08:04 PM
Clippers will not beat the suns out for the 8th seed.

1. Lakers
2. Spurs
3. Nuggets
4. Portland
5. Mavericks
6. Jazz
7. Hornets
8. Suns

i think the 5-8 seeds are interchangeable.

Shady66
10-21-2009, 08:05 PM
Haha you guys dont think the Hornets are good :facepalm:
The last time u didnt think we were good we won 56 games and was 2nd in the west

their obviously good, but theres a lot of question marks going into the season. How will Okafor fit with this team, how will peja play, I pick them top 6 team in the west. Also the last time they won 56 games, other teams got better.

Shady66
10-21-2009, 08:06 PM
Also, The suns will make the playoffs.

Vinny642
10-21-2009, 08:08 PM
their obviously good, but theres a lot of question marks going into the season. How will Okafor fit with this team, how will peja play, I pick them top 6 team in the west. Also the last time they won 56 games, other teams got better.

I think Okafor will be even better with CP and he is better then Chandler, he already is a 15/10 guy, his points should go up.

Peja will be playing bench so his role isnt really important

Shady66
10-21-2009, 08:10 PM
I think Okafor will be even better with CP and he is better then Chandler, he already is a 15/10 guy, his points should go up.

Is julian wright the starting 3 this year? Whos the starting 2?

Vinny642
10-21-2009, 08:13 PM
Is julian wright the starting 3 this year? Whos the starting 2?

Yeah Wright is starting at the SF spot, Mo Pete is the starter at the SG, im not happy about it, but I think rookie Thorton will take his spot.

Shady66
10-21-2009, 08:19 PM
Yeah Wright is starting at the SF spot, Mo Pete is the starter at the SG, im not happy about it, but I think rookie Thorton will take his spot.

O, didnt know they still had mo pete, I really like Wrights game though

Vinny642
10-21-2009, 08:20 PM
O, didnt know they still had mo pete, I really like Wrights game though

Me too, he showed flashes last year that he can be good, and CP to Wright alleyoops are gonna be NASTY!!!

smith&wesson
10-21-2009, 08:30 PM
lakers - nuff said.
spurs - if injuries dont bite them they can be contenders.
denver - will continue good play from last season but spurs will surpass.
portland - wild card.
dallas- upgraded but still week in the paint.
no - chris paul doesnt have much help
utah - first round exit again vs the lakers.

the suns could sneak in but i dont see them being higher then an 8th seed at best.

Wilson
10-21-2009, 08:35 PM

The bench is huge. You're going to struggle if your bench can't maintain leads.

Can someone please explain why they think the Spurs are going to finish so high?

I mean, I know they're a good team, and I love the way that franchise is run. But it's very normal for them to rest their main guys during the regular season for the sake of them being fresh in the play-offs. Heading into this season Tim Duncan is 33, Manu Ginobili is 32, Richard Jefferson is 29 (turns 30 in June), Antonio McDyess is 35, Theo Ratliff is 36 and Michael Finley is 36.

I don't need an explanation for how the Spurs will succeed in the play-offs, that is obvious. But in the regular season they're going to look to get extra rest for the guys above as much as possible. This will result in extra losses, which results in a lower seed.

Don't forget, the Spurs goal this season is a championship. For them to obtain that, they need everyone fresh and healthy in the play-offs to compete with the younger legs in LA and Denver. For them to be fresh, they need to get the extra rest during the regular season.

Vinny642
10-21-2009, 08:46 PM

Can someone please explain why they think the Spurs are going to finish so high?

I mean, I know they're a good team, and I love the way that franchise is run. But it's very normal for them to rest their main guys during the regular season for the sake of them being fresh in the play-offs. Heading into this season Tim Duncan is 33, Manu Ginobili is 32, Richard Jefferson is 29 (turns 30 in June), Antonio McDyess is 35, Theo Ratliff is 36 and Michael Finley is 36.

I don't need an explanation for how the Spurs will succeed in the play-offs, that is obvious. But in the regular season they're going to look to get extra rest for the guys above as much as possible. This will result in extra losses, which results in a lower seed.

Don't forget, the Spurs goal this season is a championship. For them to obtain that, they need everyone fresh and healthy in the play-offs to compete with the younger legs in LA and Denver. For them to be fresh, they need to get the extra rest during the regular season.

I know bench is huge and he can be a good bench player, but im saying he doesnt have to guard starting wing players anymore, he role lessens by going to the bench but it makes the Hornets better.

Wilson
10-21-2009, 08:55 PM
I know bench is huge and he can be a good bench player, but im saying he doesnt have to guard starting wing players anymore, he role lessens by going to the bench but it makes the Hornets better.

Ah, I see what you mean. Yeah, that's a pretty good move for the Hornets.

Toenail Clipper
10-21-2009, 08:58 PM
1. Lakers
2. Spurs
3. Mavericks
4. Nuggets
5. TrailBlazers
6. Clippers
7. Suns
8. Warriors

Fave three! :D

Toenail Clipper
10-21-2009, 09:00 PM

Age don't really matter as long as you get well rested and be prepared. Look at Jordan's Bulls, they were in their 30's. Look at the Celtics, their all stars are 30's as well and they can still finish high in the Eastern Conference.

Wilson
10-21-2009, 09:09 PM
Age don't really matter as long as you get well rested and be prepared. Look at Jordan's Bulls, they were in their 30's. Look at the Celtics, their all stars are 30's as well and they can still finish high in the Eastern Conference.

The Eastern Conference is different though, plus Greg Popovich usually makes more of an effort to rest his guys during the regular season than other coaches do.

Toenail Clipper
10-21-2009, 09:14 PM
The Eastern Conference is different though, plus Greg Popovich usually makes more of an effort to rest his guys during the regular season than other coaches do.

How is the Eastern Conference different?
They have more elite teams and such.
The Western Conference isn't better than the Eastern Conference.
But we'll see once regular season starts next week!
I mean, Clippers beat them during preseason.
LOL, anything can happen.

blackjack_119
10-21-2009, 09:17 PM
1. Lakers
2. Spurs
3. Mavericks
4. Nuggets
5. TrailBlazers
6. Clippers
7. Suns
8. Warriors

Fave three! :D

Also they are the three teams that are markedly worse than Utah and New Orleans so all three will be fighting for the 8th seed. (Well the Warriors and Suns, anyways)

Wilson
10-21-2009, 09:38 PM
How is the Eastern Conference different?
They have more elite teams and such.
The Western Conference isn't better than the Eastern Conference.
But we'll see once regular season starts next week!
I mean, Clippers beat them during preseason.
LOL, anything can happen.

Well in the East last year a team made it to the play-offs with a sub .500 record, where as a team in the West missed out despite being 10 games over .500.

I know the Spurs (3rd seed) had a worse record than Orlando (Eastern 3rd seed), but the Spurs had to play games against eight teams that would finish with 45+ wins, whereas Orlando only had to play against three that would go on to win that many.

The West is still the better conference...

_KB24_
10-21-2009, 10:31 PM
I don't think the Hornets are a top 4 team in the West right now. I still think CP3 will be playing along side ****, with the exception of West.

Lakers
Spurs
Denver
Mavs
Hornets
Jazz
Suns

Red Hot Rolllin
10-21-2009, 10:41 PM
1. Lakers
2. Portland
3. Nuggets
4. Spurs
5. Mavericks
6. Jazz
7. Hornets
8. Rockets

hovyboo
10-21-2009, 11:45 PM
wow so the nba fans dont think okafor who rarely misses games (if ever) is a big improvement over Chandlers alley off based offense.

okafor is a solid 15 10 guy without an amazing point

he can create on his own, his game will only blossom w CP3... not to mention playing along side west

Nash is getting older and amare has cool goggles lol

im voting nay for the suns