PDA

View Full Version : What you would change about the way the game is umpired

yojoe792
10-19-2009, 09:57 PM
Let's hear it.

yojoe792
10-19-2009, 10:02 PM
I have a pretty long list.

1) Checked swings - Umpires ALWAYS give a more generous strike zone to the pitcher when a hitter checks his swing. A ball is a ball.

2) Inconsistency - I can't stand seeing an umpire call the corner a ball all night, and then going to another hitter, regardless of team, calls that same pitch a ball.

3) Replay - Should be used in a game altering moment.

nymetsrule
10-19-2009, 10:03 PM
I would like umpires to be a little more stationary while making their calls. Usually they mess up because they are running around so much while making a call. It is impossible to see something clearly when you are moving a lot.

At least, that is what I have been taught during my umpiring training. Yet I noticed the Umps in MLB moving around so much. :shrug:

VenezuelanMet
10-19-2009, 10:30 PM
Use PitchFX to call balls and strikes. I was against taking human umpires out but **** home plate umpires in the ***, plain and simple no one can see for ****.

THE STRIKE ZONE HAS A STRICT DEFINITION. I don't care if they decide to have one based on their mood.

theLgndKllr35
10-19-2009, 10:33 PM
I would like umpires to be a little more stationary while making their calls. Usually they mess up because they are running around so much while making a call. It is impossible to see something clearly when you are moving a lot.

At least, that is what I have been taught during my umpiring training. Yet I noticed the Umps in MLB moving around so much. :shrug:

As you move up the ranks, they want to you to move to get the proper angle, so you can see the play. For example, when I'm umpiring a game alone, on plays to first they teach you to run down the first base line then move onto the field of play, so you can better see if the runner beats the throw.

SJ5382
10-19-2009, 11:10 PM
I don't know how this can be fixed, but the umpires themselves are just not good. We have seen horrendous umpiring throughout the season and even into the playoffs. I doubt many personnel changes can be made, but the MLB should address our current umpires for sure.

I would also put in instant replay for force plays, tag plays, and fair/foul.

GottaBelieve
10-19-2009, 11:19 PM
How about instituting some standards?

The slight differences between umpires is part of the game. But continuous errors, and blatantly ridiculous calls from the same group of guys continue unchecked. Far too many umpires have sudden and drastic changes in their strike zone in the late innings of games. Far too many guys blow call after call without repercussion.

Reward umpires that obey the rules of the game, and show real fairness and consistency. Punish, and ultimately remove those continually fail to do so.

And just fire any idiot who throws off his mask in a split second to instigate players.

iggypop123
10-20-2009, 12:06 AM
there should be guidelines all umps follow and if anyone breaks them they are done. specify inches that the strike zone should be. there should never be a situation when people scout umpires, that tells you something is really wrong

N.Z's #1 Dodger
10-20-2009, 01:07 AM
Accountability. Pure and simple.

LAFord
10-20-2009, 01:24 AM
I'd start with the ever moving strikezone. There needs to be more consistancy at all times for the strikezone.

natepro
10-20-2009, 02:09 AM
Robots.

theproof
10-20-2009, 02:16 AM
Robots.

lol

Pretty much. As long as we use humans then human mistakes are going to happen.

socalpkrbkr
10-20-2009, 02:21 AM
I don't disagree with any of the posts in here. The strike zone is killing me and after tonight's NLCS I'm ready for drastic changes. There's too much technology in the world now a days for human error anymore. Also, MLB needs to get with the times and implement instant replay for more than home runs.

Havoc Wreaker
10-20-2009, 02:22 AM
Robots.
I swear, I came into this thread with the sole intention of typing "Robots".

Get out of my head :speechless:

I'd also like to change: People *****ing about the umpires. :p

whitesox1991
10-20-2009, 02:29 AM
Machines around 1b, 2b, and 3b to judge if the player was safe or not.

iggypop123
10-20-2009, 02:41 AM
machines would be great but too many old school people are alive. once they die there should be no protests to implement this
but the best way to make drastic improvement is to fire Ted Barrett

Tribe
10-20-2009, 03:39 AM
Agree 100% on Accountability...The human element is to much part of the game to start bringing in machines

Would be nice to see umps fined and put infront of media to take ownership of there obvious mistakes sometimes

Not sure what guidelines are in place for vision, reaction, decision making testing but if there are not any it would be nice to start to keep these guys on top of there game

Ralf Jones
10-20-2009, 03:47 AM
I'd Fire em and let selig sort out the mess........ j/k........kinda