PDA

View Full Version : Was the ALCS game in NY sold out? If not...why?

Kinsm
10-17-2009, 08:05 AM
Of all the teams and all the cities, predicting a sell out in NY would have been a no-brainer to me. So do you agree with the article, do you think blue-collar fans simply feel they are not wanted?

Tidbit:

Why tickets remained the morning of the game was a question no one could answer. It was the Yankees’ first ALCS home game since 2004. In the country’s biggest city. With the largest and most passionate fan base. Not on a school or work night. Showcasing perhaps the best Yankees team this decade.

Full article:
http://sports.yahoo.com/mlb/news?slug=jp-yankeesstadium101609&prov=yhoo&type=lgns

chickendinner11
10-17-2009, 09:03 AM
well, let's see. how about weather? how about the ticket prices? how about people working a little later because they want to keep their jobs? how about the economy as a whole? how are those reasons?

natepro
10-17-2009, 09:13 AM
Of them, the "people working later to keep their jobs" one is probably the most silly.

chickendinner11
10-17-2009, 09:26 AM
Of them, the "people working later to keep their jobs" one is probably the most silly.

why is that? unlike in anaheim it takes a lot longer to get into yankee stadium therefore if you work a little later you can't get to the game in time. i'm also pretty sure that if you want to keep your job you don't mind staying a little later rather than go to a baseball game.

I75
10-17-2009, 09:45 AM
This article is great for those who haven't read it or have 10 minutes.

http://sports.espn.go.com/espn/eticket/story?page=091005yankeestickets&campaign=rss&source=MLBHeadlines

Tribe
10-17-2009, 11:36 AM
The average fan doesnt have $2k for a baseball ticket

NY Greenman
10-17-2009, 11:41 AM
Nobody had $1,200 to spend on a baseball game. End of discussion. IDC what the significance or what team.

kpaul_nyc
10-17-2009, 12:13 PM
All the celebrities and millionaires would buy luxury suite seats, but all the other seats were too expensive for people other than celebrities and millionaires.

DodgersFanFor23
10-17-2009, 12:28 PM
Stay in school so you have enough money to buy tickets.

Tragedy
10-17-2009, 12:29 PM
With the largest and most passionate fan base.
Maybe not.....

In all seriousness, those front row seats are very expensive. Though, all other stadiums front row seats get sold out.

Havoc Wreaker
10-17-2009, 12:35 PM
Was the ALCS game in NY sold out?
No.

If not...why?

Because there were still tickets available that were not purchased.

The Dream
10-17-2009, 12:43 PM
Maybe not.....

In all seriousness, those front row seats are very expensive. Though, all other stadiums front row seats get sold out.

And your point is? (although it's not true)

Hyland
10-17-2009, 12:46 PM
10% of the people who attend Yankee games are from the Bronx.

So sad. I grew up in the Bronx, but I don't feel like I'm in the Bronx when I'm in a Yankee game.
I'm a Yankee fan by tradition, but they're more for the power than for the people....building a new Yankee Stadium doesnt matter to people who don't live in the Bronx. The Bronx is just Yankee Stadium to alot of Jersey, Long Island citizens....the citizens of the Bronx and their quality of life isn't really a worry, especially since its the lowest in the city.

BronxBomber33
10-17-2009, 12:59 PM
I believe the game was sold-out (NO tickets left) but not all the people attended probably due to the weather. I mean I looked up 2 tickets and the games were sold out for BOTH the ALDS/ALCS except some Legends were open for a game in the ALDS.

surf and turf
10-17-2009, 01:24 PM
well, let's see. how about weather? how about the ticket prices? how about people working a little later because they want to keep their jobs? how about the economy as a whole? how are those reasons?

The combination of the first two are probably the biggest reasons.

pedrofan45
10-17-2009, 01:30 PM
it wasn't sold out because prices are too high.. end of discussion

infernoscurse
10-17-2009, 01:53 PM
to me in these days economy, people are holding out, they would rather save and pay that much money for game clinchers or world series tickets, i know i would, id save for the world series

misterd
10-17-2009, 02:05 PM
Ticket prices are lower than they had been in the past, so that theory doesn't hold much water. http://www.ticketnews.com/Yankees-playoff-ticket-prices-promise-no-sticker-shock-to-fans909367

The weather is likely the biggest factor. Even for an ALCS game there are few people willing to sit in 30 degree weather for a game that might be postponed.

DJYankee
10-17-2009, 02:11 PM
Weather shouldn't be a factor. Is a damn playoff game. I go with the ticket prices on this one.

WSU Tony
10-17-2009, 02:14 PM
People are being priced out of tickets. The economy doesn't help the situation either.

dodgerdave
10-17-2009, 04:48 PM
The Steinbrenners get F grades in economics.

iggypop123
10-17-2009, 05:07 PM
people are holding out. at least thats what i am doign and i live in LA. i got school and books, but if the dodgers get to the WS then the budget is out of the door i will spend like crazy. let me put it to you this way if any of the 4 teams get to the WS i guarantee you all games will sell out no matter the teams cities economic situation

Kinsm
10-17-2009, 05:11 PM
Weather shouldn't be a factor. Is a damn playoff game. I go with the ticket prices on this one.

I agree I've spent 3 opening day games in snow (sold out in Cincinnati)...so 30 degree weather for a playoff game shouldn't be a huge factor.

jimm120
10-17-2009, 05:51 PM
The weather is not a factor. We in cold places can take the cold (though being idle, in a windy stadium, and very late at night could produce cold). 30 degrees isn't that bad.

That was 100% about money. No way tickets aren't sold during the playoffs (EVERY sport sells out during the playoffs!).

Well, I'm gonna contradict myself and say that it might not be 100% about the money but I am 100% sure it wasn't because of the weather, time, etc.

NYGUY55
10-17-2009, 06:27 PM
i looked at tickets on stubhub for the ALDS against the twins and the cheapest ones were $150-$200 in the bleachers. i went onto stubhub prior to yesterdays game and they were as cheap as $50 a piece. great seats on the first baseline were roughly $150-$200. the only explicable reason is the weather. lets be serious 30 degree weather in the rain is not at all ideal conditions to sit in for three hours. especially the people who can afford those tickets arent exactly the most die hard fans. the prissy rich folks arent too keen on sitting to watch a game in weather like that.

misterd
10-17-2009, 07:20 PM
i looked at tickets on stubhub for the ALDS against the twins and the cheapest ones were $150-$200 in the bleachers. i went onto stubhub prior to yesterdays game and they were as cheap as $50 a piece. great seats on the first baseline were roughly $150-$200. the only explicable reason is the weather. lets be serious 30 degree weather in the rain is not at all ideal conditions to sit in for three hours. especially the people who can afford those tickets arent exactly the most die hard fans. the prissy rich folks arent too keen on sitting to watch a game in weather like that.

You lost me with the last line. There is no correlation between income and fan devotion.

The rest was all good, though.

natepro
10-17-2009, 09:26 PM
why is that? unlike in anaheim it takes a lot longer to get into yankee stadium therefore if you work a little later you can't get to the game in time. i'm also pretty sure that if you want to keep your job you don't mind staying a little later rather than go to a baseball game.

Maybe you know more about Anaheim than I do. I don't live there. I'm sure you knew that, though.

Twinke Masta
10-18-2009, 09:25 AM
1250$ gets you semi-season tickets in Kansas City, 1250$ gets you 1 game ticket at Yankee Stadium

#27in2007
10-18-2009, 10:38 AM
weather, kept people away... not the prices... the games were sold out, as i could not get tickets on ticketmaster for game 1 or game 2... had to go on stub hub... seats were empty due to the weather... also, if you have ever been there, there are tons of places to stand and watch the game instead of watching them from your seats, and tons of places to get a bite to eat and drink a beer... people are constantly moving around in the stadium...

scottythegreat1
10-18-2009, 11:18 AM
weather, kept people away... not the prices... the games were sold out, as i could not get tickets on ticketmaster for game 1 or game 2... had to go on stub hub... seats were empty due to the weather... also, if you have ever been there, there are tons of places to stand and watch the game instead of watching them from your seats, and tons of places to get a bite to eat and drink a beer... people are constantly moving around in the stadium...

Correct me if Im wrong, but the attendance at the game was 49,500 people (approximately), and in Yankee Stadium, a sellout is 53,000. So, it wasnt a sellout.

Rain was not a factor, it was ticket prices. If you want to see the playoffs, you better pay up. If the Steinbrenner wants to sell out his stadium, reduce the ticket prices, plain and simple.

Yanksfan18
10-18-2009, 02:50 PM
HMMM My guess is that it wasnt a sellout because you couldnt buy the tickets from the Yankees. I was even in a drawing for the opportunity to buy postseason tix and dint get picked.

So I would say that either:
1 the Yankees didnt want to sell all their seats
or
2. They did sell all of them and that some people didnt want to sit in the rain or tried to sell em on stub hub for 5,864,894.00 per bleacher seat and for some reason they didnt sell and the seats went empty.

infernoscurse
10-18-2009, 03:03 PM
tomorrows game is free at yankee stadium

pedrofan45
10-18-2009, 05:01 PM
well if the reason is the weather, which i don't think it was, then yankee fans really aren't loyal fans imo, a playoff game should be sold out even if it's below zero, that's pretty pathetic