PDA

View Full Version : NBA to alter traveling rule

ko8e24
10-15-2009, 10:32 PM
http://sports.espn.go.com/nba/news/story?id=4563546

NBA players will be able to take two steps before they have to stop, pass or shoot this season.

The NBA has put into writing a rule allowing players on the move to gather the ball, after driving or catching it, and then take two steps. Throughout NBA history, the rulebook said players could take one step.

The new rule reads, in part "A player who receives the ball while he is progressing or upon completion of a dribble, may take two steps in coming to a stop, passing or shooting the ball."

It is believed to be the first time any league, at any level anywhere in the world, has explicitly allowed two steps.

In March, NBA vice president of referee operations Joe Borgia told TrueHoop's Henry Abbott that referees had long been instructed to ignore the rulebook on this point and allow two steps.

On a conference call with reporters earlier this week, NBA executive vice president of basketball operations Stu Jackson told Abbott: "Based on Joe's comments, when you had a conversation with Joe, we did in fact tweak the language on traveling in this year's book."

Enforcement of the one-step rule has been hit-or-miss at every level of basketball. Archival footage shows NBA greats, from Magic Johnson and Pete Maravich to Bob Cousy and Julius Erving, getting away with two steps. Borgia, whose father was also an NBA official, said he cannot remember a time when NBA referees did not allow two steps.

Others insist allowing two steps represents an NBA strategy to aid scorers and make the league more exciting. Legendary point guard and current Knick broadcaster Walt "Clyde" Frazier says the league relaxed traveling standards some time ago to increase scoring.

"They go 20 feet to the hoop without dribbling one time," Frazier said. "This is what they are getting away with nowadays. Some of them are so obvious. You'll hear me on the broadcast saying 'That's a travel! Watch the feet!' Wilt [Chamberlain] would have averaged 100 points a game if they had let him do that.

"When guys couldn't put up points, about when they changed the hand-check rule, they made things easier for scorers, because these players can't shoot like we did," Frazier said. "Those few years when the Knicks were good [the early 1990s] -- that wasn't pretty basketball."

Whether or not this will affect play on the court remains to be seen. Referees have long been instructed to allow two steps and in interviews with NBA players last season there was some confusion about the rule. But most said they thought they were allowed to take two steps.

Raps18-19 Champ
10-15-2009, 10:34 PM
To be honest, I am still not sure what the hell the "crab dribble" is.

Anyone mind explaining it to me?

IRUAM #21
10-15-2009, 10:39 PM
Come on everyone, let's hate on Lebron !!!!!!!!

jetsfan28
10-15-2009, 10:41 PM
About time they changed the rules, they've allowed a legit 2 steps for years now

Hellcrooner
10-15-2009, 10:46 PM
this is going to be a real problem for Team usa when playing Olympics and Fiba World cup since they will get used to doing it and get called a lot of traveling in that competitions

Raps18-19 Champ
10-15-2009, 10:49 PM
And the title is really misleading.

It's just going to bring some Lebron hate.

KG2TB
10-15-2009, 11:10 PM
I really wish they would enforce traveling. It's getting out hand. One of the most basic principles and it gets broken countless times a game. Start calling it!!! Instead...they make it so where it's going to get called even less. Great...

ThuglifeJ
10-15-2009, 11:28 PM
why are we giving the queen more advantages? Cant he just try to deserve what he's attmepting to accomplish.

jetsfan28
10-15-2009, 11:30 PM
I really wish they would enforce traveling. It's getting out hand. One of the most basic principles and it gets broken countless times a game. Start calling it!!! Instead...they make it so where it's going to get called even less. Great...

All they did was change the wording of the rule to accommodate the way it's already called.

ManRam
10-15-2009, 11:39 PM
It's been "legal" for years. Who cares?

KG2TB
10-15-2009, 11:43 PM
All they did was change the wording of the rule to accommodate the way it's already called.

Yeah, you do have a valid point. Fact remains, traveling needs to be called much more than it is. Superstars won't like it, but that's just too bad. There's 5th graders out there who are more consistent not traveling than a lot of NBA players...it's sad. Stern needs to step up. Less defense, less physical play, outrageous rules about players standing while on the bench during the game, you can't even take two steps away from the bench during a fight without getting suspended (ask Amar'e) he's turning the league into a soft, spoon fed, corporate, soul-less league and it's frustrating. Now, he's accommodating the rules so they don't look so bad for NOT calling traveling. The game would be so much better if they actually enforced basic principles like you know...traveling. Bring back hand checking. Let guys play physical and bang a little bit. How can you possibly tell a player they can't stand by THEIR bench?!? Fans can stand just as easily and if they don't like it they shouldn't buy seats behind the players bench. This turned into a rant...my apologies but I really do not like David Stern.

ko8e24
10-15-2009, 11:44 PM
MY BAD, MISLEADING TITLE!

no knock on Lebron, but wanted to make the title creative, and to indicate the fact that players will get away more with traveling than before.

blazerman
10-16-2009, 12:32 AM
So now with the two step rule guys will make it a three step rule, Kobe and Lebron wont have to dribble again once they hit halfcourt,haha

Maybe bigs wont get called for steps inside as much either.

I'd like to see the league do away with the semi circle, since the multiple step rule is in effect now. Between the no hand checking and the extra step guys can get to the rim alot easier and that could mean lots of fouls for bigs thus taking them outta the game.

Hellcrooner
10-16-2009, 12:44 AM
well i wodl keep the semi circle. come on now fiba is using it after so long :p

theuuord
10-16-2009, 12:55 AM

why are we giving the queen more advantages? Cant he just try to deserve what he's attmepting to accomplish.

So now with the two step rule guys will make it a three step rule, Kobe and Lebron wont have to dribble again once they hit halfcourt,haha

shocking.

stawka
10-16-2009, 01:32 AM
And Laker fans start bashing LeBron/Wade/Shaq/Jordan/God in 5... 4... 3... 2... 1...

caseyv415
10-16-2009, 01:41 AM
And Laker fans start bashing LeBron/Wade/Shaq/Jordan/God in 5... 4... 3... 2... 1...

LMAO!
Lakers=Haters
Bet they change their tune the second LeBron puts on Purp/Yellow
So Once again
Lakers=Haters

PBG
10-16-2009, 05:14 AM
Yeah, you do have a valid point. Fact remains, traveling needs to be called much more than it is. Superstars won't like it, but that's just too bad. There's 5th graders out there who are more consistent not traveling than a lot of NBA players...it's sad. Stern needs to step up. Less defense, less physical play, outrageous rules about players standing while on the bench during the game, you can't even take two steps away from the bench during a fight without getting suspended (ask Amar'e) he's turning the league into a soft, spoon fed, corporate, soul-less league and it's frustrating. Now, he's accommodating the rules so they don't look so bad for NOT calling traveling. The game would be so much better if they actually enforced basic principles like you know...traveling. Bring back hand checking. Let guys play physical and bang a little bit. How can you possibly tell a player they can't stand by THEIR bench?!? Fans can stand just as easily and if they don't like it they shouldn't buy seats behind the players bench. This turned into a rant...my apologies but I really do not like David Stern.

true

D Roses Bulls
10-16-2009, 05:44 AM
the crab dribble lebron does is more then two steps. lebrons is a fraud. they act like hes michael jordan or something. screw the cavs. that city will never win nothing

Reddd
10-16-2009, 05:58 AM

I agree 100%

PBG
10-16-2009, 06:03 AM
wonder how long it takes players to start taking 3 steps now, and getting away with that.

Wilson
10-16-2009, 07:38 AM
this is going to be a real problem for Team usa when playing Olympics and Fiba World cup since they will get used to doing it and get called a lot of traveling in that competitions

I don't know. All they've done is changed it so the two steps players take is now legal.

Unless now that the two steps are legal, players will start getting away with three :shrug:

Wilson
10-16-2009, 07:40 AM

Awesome post :clap: :clap:

While I like that the two step rule is official now, there are a lot of guys that get away with three steps, and it's frustrating.

You're right about everything else as well. It seems any type of physicality is called dirty these days, it's pathetic.

Trouble87
10-16-2009, 08:00 AM
ok so they've made it official but this isn't news to me

Ace33Bone
10-16-2009, 08:33 AM
The floodgates for the LeBron haters will be opening soon... just wait for all the people on the westcoast to wake up mainly the LA crowd

TheGreenMonster
10-16-2009, 08:52 AM
I have seen guys take like 6 steps so... lets just remove dribbling from the game entirely and let clowns spit fire while the players ride zebras.

TheGreenMonster
10-16-2009, 08:53 AM
The floodgates for the LeBron haters will be opening soon... just wait for all the people on the westcoast to wake up mainly the LA crowd

I hate Lebron. :clap:

oshea225
10-16-2009, 09:18 AM
its just stern protecting the new refs and superstars. guys already got away with 2 steps all the time. now that its legal, people cant be criticizing the ****** refs for not calling it and hating on guys for using it. sterns just placing all the blame on himself

KG2TB
10-16-2009, 09:50 AM
Awesome post :clap: :clap:

While I like that the two step rule is official now, there are a lot of guys that get away with three steps, and it's frustrating.

You're right about everything else as well. It seems any type of physicality is called dirty these days, it's pathetic.

It's totally pathetic. Basketball is a physical AND finesse game. Offense is great, but so is good ol intense, physical defense. The league has enough talented offensive players to balance this out. Basketball is a man's game and Stern wants to make it suited for little boys. Let's face it, there's fighting in every sport. I'm not saying endorse it, but if a player takes a few steps away from the bench and doesn't do anything, how can you possibly justify suspending them? ESPECIALLY during a critical playoff game. Ridiculous. The rule about players standing on the bench is the one that really gets me. It's the PLAYER'S bench. As far as I'm concerned, they can stand, sit, and do cartwheels for all I care. You have to be clinically ******** to buy tickets behind a bench, and then COMPLAIN about not being able to see due to players standing. TOUGH **** *******! Paint chips must have ran rampant in your household! Buy seats somewhere else. Don't **** it up for the players who get into the game (as they should) and stand (as they shoud) And this schmuck Stern actually passed this rule. Rifreakindiculous.

cmellofan15
10-16-2009, 09:59 AM
I don't think crab dribbling is taking 3 steps, I think that's what LeBron called it when he traveled once :shrug:. I could be wrong though.

Lakerfan In NY
10-16-2009, 10:41 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by stawka

LMAO!
Lakers=Haters
Bet they change their tune the second LeBron puts on Purp/Yellow
So Once again
Lakers=Haters

:crazy::crazy::crazy::crazy:

Chronz
10-16-2009, 10:42 AM
We've all done a crab dribble, its when you protect the ball and your body is backing down the defender and your taking long steps with your knees bent. Its impossible to travel while crab dribbling, as its meant to keep the dribble alive with the defender unable to reach in and poke it out while your backing down (hopefully). You look like a crab

Dont know why Bron called it a crab dribble but thats how I was taught growin up. I dont remember that play but Im pretty sure it was nothing like a crab dribble

theuuord
10-16-2009, 11:54 AM
We've all done a crab dribble, its when you protect the ball and your body is backing down the defender and your taking long steps with your knees bent. Its impossible to travel while crab dribbling, as its meant to keep the dribble alive with the defender unable to reach in and poke it out while your backing down (hopefully). You look like a crab

Dont know why Bron called it a crab dribble but thats how I was taught growin up. I dont remember that play but Im pretty sure it was nothing like a crab dribble

Yeah, that's how I was taught the crab dribble too. Bron IIRC took a hop step and then took two steps towards the basket which isn't what I know it as. It's most likely a travel depending on the referee.

G-Funk
10-16-2009, 12:07 PM
The VP of referees said that they were instructed by David Dictator Stern to allow it for quite some time.

rjvacad
10-16-2009, 12:26 PM

I don't hate him, but this is clearly changing of the rules for one player.

Lakerfan In NY
10-16-2009, 12:35 PM
The "crab Dribble" they are talking about is when your not facing the basket...& you start your drive, you have the ball between you & the defender (basically cupping the ball) to attack the basket, while doing so you take an extra step b4 putting the ball on the floor which was called a travel.
The crab driibble your think of is in the post while backing down your defender you keep the ball at the side of your body sheilding it from the defender...

BlinkManJan02
10-16-2009, 12:37 PM

hahahahaha

SpeeMN
10-16-2009, 12:37 PM
The thing lebron does is what my friends and I have always called the 'up and over.' The Player drives the lane, picks up the ball, takes two steps then seemingly jumps while swinging the ball over his head so defenders can't get it. Lands on two feet, then JUMPs UP again!!! A complete travel. I guess the beginning of that is called the crab dribble in this clip that shows the right way to do it and the wrong way:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jHZf3mWERfc&feature=related
It is MJ doing it right, and LJ doing it wrong with the up and over.

Teeboy1487
10-16-2009, 12:45 PM
Why is the nba, so hellbent at giving offensive players more advantages? The nba is becoming a joke. They should at least bring back hand-checking to be fair. This is not only about Lebron because I see several other nba players do the "crab dribble" too. Now, they are allowing players to travel. You might as well don't play defense because the nba don't like it. I guess the nba don't care about fundamentals either. I hate this rule and I hope it does not work out, so they can change it back.

daleja424
10-16-2009, 12:49 PM
MY BAD, MISLEADING TITLE!

no knock on Lebron, but wanted to make the title creative, and to indicate the fact that players will get away more with traveling than before.

no they wont...

in the article it says specifically that the league has already been calling games this way for years...they just made it official this year

the game doesnt change AT ALL

daleja424
10-16-2009, 12:51 PM
anyone who says anything against this hasnt read the article

It CLEARLY says hat this doesn't effect the game AT ALL b/c the game is going to be called the same way it has the past 30 years with respect to traveling

JordansBulls
10-16-2009, 01:05 PM
http://sports.espn.go.com/nba/news/story?id=4563546

NBA players will be able to take two steps before they have to stop, pass or shoot this season.

The NBA has put into writing a rule allowing players on the move to gather the ball, after driving or catching it, and then take two steps. Throughout NBA history, the rulebook said players could take one step.

The new rule reads, in part "A player who receives the ball while he is progressing or upon completion of a dribble, may take two steps in coming to a stop, passing or shooting the ball."

It is believed to be the first time any league, at any level anywhere in the world, has explicitly allowed two steps.

In March, NBA vice president of referee operations Joe Borgia told TrueHoop's Henry Abbott that referees had long been instructed to ignore the rulebook on this point and allow two steps.

On a conference call with reporters earlier this week, NBA executive vice president of basketball operations Stu Jackson told Abbott: "Based on Joe's comments, when you had a conversation with Joe, we did in fact tweak the language on traveling in this year's book."

Enforcement of the one-step rule has been hit-or-miss at every level of basketball. Archival footage shows NBA greats, from Magic Johnson and Pete Maravich to Bob Cousy and Julius Erving, getting away with two steps. Borgia, whose father was also an NBA official, said he cannot remember a time when NBA referees did not allow two steps.

Others insist allowing two steps represents an NBA strategy to aid scorers and make the league more exciting. Legendary point guard and current Knick broadcaster Walt "Clyde" Frazier says the league relaxed traveling standards some time ago to increase scoring.

"They go 20 feet to the hoop without dribbling one time," Frazier said. "This is what they are getting away with nowadays. Some of them are so obvious. You'll hear me on the broadcast saying 'That's a travel! Watch the feet!' Wilt [Chamberlain] would have averaged 100 points a game if they had let him do that.

"When guys couldn't put up points, about when they changed the hand-check rule, they made things easier for scorers, because these players can't shoot like we did," Frazier said. "Those few years when the Knicks were good [the early 1990s] -- that wasn't pretty basketball."

Whether or not this will affect play on the court remains to be seen. Referees have long been instructed to allow two steps and in interviews with NBA players last season there was some confusion about the rule. But most said they thought they were allowed to take two steps.

League just making it easier and easier for wing player and guards to go off. League does not want low scoring games nor the physical games like the 90's. Not sure why not when guys are getting millions of dollars yearly.

Got to have some type of struggles.

HiphopRelated
10-16-2009, 01:07 PM
Nothing has changed so what's the problem?

The rule is just written down now

daleja424
10-16-2009, 01:08 PM
Nothing has changed so what's the problem?

The rule is just written down now

the problem is the title is misleading and people are jumping to conclusions without reading the article...

if the nba didnt mention this no one would even be the wiser bc it hasnt changed the game in any way

Lakerfan In NY
10-16-2009, 01:14 PM
League just making it easier and easier for wing player and guards to go off. League does not want low scoring games nor the physical games like the 90's. Not sure why not when guys are getting millions of dollars yearly.

Sad part of it all...if the league really wanted higher scoring game they should start teaching young kids to shoot mid-range shots (constantly) so by the time they make it to the pro's shooting low 40% from inside the three won't be considered a good shooter & a 75% FT shooter isnt good neither...

blazerman
10-16-2009, 01:34 PM
well i wodl keep the semi circle. come on now fiba is using it after so long :p

I dont care for it, especially with the guards having the advantage to get around perimeter defenders with the no hand checking rule, doesnt give bigs alot of time or space to switch to cover the the guy cutting the lane.

It dont really matter anyway's, they have there reasons for having it I guess.

Double_R
10-16-2009, 01:36 PM
They should call it the Lebron rule, because Stern did it for him and him only... They want to sell Lebron in every way they can.

G-Funk
10-16-2009, 01:40 PM

It all started with MJ.

HiphopRelated
10-16-2009, 02:01 PM
NOTHING HAS CHANGED ABOUT HOW THE GAME HAS BEEN CALLED FOR DECADES

Read the article, not the thread title:facepalm:

Themighty305
10-16-2009, 02:12 PM
crap ***** title!!!!

JordansBulls
10-16-2009, 02:36 PM
It all started with MJ.

The physically I agree. That is why it changed because only a select few could score on great efficiency.

WITZ
10-16-2009, 02:53 PM

I think thats the point, and this is just another reason so people can hate :facepalm:

daleja424
10-16-2009, 02:54 PM
can someone change the title b/c people are making ridiculous statements in here about this...

IT MEANS NOTHING

Wiz kids
10-16-2009, 03:54 PM
So the "crab" dribble is legal?

ThuglifeJ
10-16-2009, 03:56 PM
^yeah. It's always been legal I'm pretty sure.

But that 4 step bull **** that LeBron said was a crab dribble wasnt a crab dribble. And 4 steps is never legal.

daleja424
10-16-2009, 03:58 PM
^yeah. It's always been legal I'm pretty sure.

But that 4 step bull **** that LeBron said was a crab dribble wasnt a crab dribble. And 4 steps is never legal.

word