PDA

View Full Version : Mets rebuild, or try again

metsfan316
10-14-2009, 01:07 AM
The Mets had a 19 game win drop from last year. Is it time to start rebuilding or to give it another shot and sign a few free-agents. Although they sucked last year, they still do have alot of talent. With the help of a few free agent signings they could be a playoff team.

nikefreek220
10-14-2009, 03:22 AM
they can't afford to rebuild. they are in New York.

Rebuild and New York don't go together. Ask the knicks how well thats going for them and their fans.

N.Z's #1 Dodger
10-14-2009, 03:30 AM
Rebuild. Marlins, Phillies and the Braves are going to hand them a severe beat down next year.

todu82
10-14-2009, 04:37 AM
I think the Mets where also hurt by the # of injuries to their star players last year. I think if those players come back next year at 100% then the Mets are candidates for the playoffs.

odiz
10-14-2009, 04:47 AM
They will have a hard time rebuilding considering how terrible their farm system is right now. Theyll go out and try to bring the team back to life with some FAs and then theyll finish 3rd or 4th in the East for the next 5 years or so. But they should do it in their own forum.

metsfan316
10-14-2009, 06:58 AM
They will have a hard time rebuilding considering how terrible their farm system is right now. Theyll go out and try to bring the team back to life with some FAs and then theyll finish 3rd or 4th in the East for the next 5 years or so. But they should do it in their own forum.

i disagree when the mets are healthy they can at least be second if not first.

fishfan79
10-14-2009, 07:11 AM
should trade the marlins david wright :) Since he isnt that good anyways yep yep :)

ShinobiNYC
10-14-2009, 08:49 AM
Spend some money to fix what they should have fixed last year. A power bat at 1B, a #2 pitcher and a decent LFer.

mser58
10-14-2009, 09:10 AM
The title of this post made me happy, the Phillies will be contenders again next year in case you were wondering.

FlakeyFool
10-14-2009, 09:11 AM
Its the Mets, Rebuilding doesn't exist in there vocabulary. Just go out and spend a ******** amount of money on old, injured pitchers/players.

castan_b
10-14-2009, 09:17 AM
their pitching sucks except santana but he got hurt, so now he might suck too...

peace mets.

homer2680
10-14-2009, 09:20 AM
i disagree when the mets are healthy they can at least be second if not first.

I disagree, they don't have the heart to win. They are old, and need talent from within. Look at any great team, their key players came from within. Trade their talent now, get A+ prospects, build 2 years, then go get high priced free agents.

ImThatDude
10-14-2009, 09:27 AM
Why rebuild? They were in 1st place before all the injuries occured & were still leading the WC when guys like Reyes and Delgado went down. The straw that broke the camel's back was when Beltran was injured and Wright had to carry a AAA team. I see them winning the WC next season with a healthy team, there's just too much talent there.

McJoe
10-14-2009, 09:32 AM
The Mets also lost Reyes, Beltran, Delgado, Santana, and Putz for extended periods of time. If just one of those guys gets hurt they are probably okay but ALL of them got hurt so they were immediately ****ed.

The Mets will reload and be right back in the thick of it next year. Maybe a new 1B, a new corner outfielder, and another starter in the offseason and they will be right back in the thick of it.

DieHardColtsfan
10-14-2009, 09:44 AM
They should just rebuild.

GivenGrace
10-14-2009, 11:33 AM
Why rebuild? We're one of the best teams in baseball when all of our guys are healthy.

We will add a quality starter or two (I hope) and a power bat in LF and/or 1B (I hope).

But, my hats off to the Phillies though. You guys would of been tough to beat even if our whole team didn't spend the summer on the DL.

We'll see what happens next year.

I really don't understand why people want to break up a 90 win team when healthy.

VRP723
10-14-2009, 11:35 AM
Why rebuild? We're one of the best teams in baseball when all of our guys are healthy.

We will add a quality starter or two (I hope) and a power bat in LF and/or 1B (I hope).

But, my hats off to the Phillies though. You guys would of been tough to beat even if our whole team didn't spend the summer on the DL.

I really don't understand why people want to break up a 90 win team when healthy.

:facepalm:

VenezuelanMet
10-14-2009, 11:35 AM
We need a real ****ing rotation that's all, we can't keep resting our season on Pelfrey's and Perez's shoulders.

bringbackfredex
10-14-2009, 11:54 AM

I don't think they'll ever understand...

papirico52
10-14-2009, 12:06 PM
lol they had their guys healthy in 2008 and still choked............rebuild it will be more fun

colinskik
10-14-2009, 12:53 PM
I disagree, they don't have the heart to win. They are old, and need talent from within. Look at any great team, their key players came from within. Trade their talent now, get A+ prospects, build 2 years, then go get high priced free agents.
THis is a moronic post to say the least. The face of their franchise is comprised of two young talents from their system. One of whom was injured basically the entire year and the other who had a down year in terms of his power numbers. You know who they are.

So many idiots here love to hate on the Mets, but if they can bring back their healthy starters and add a pitcher and a bat (which they almost certainly will), the only team in that division that will give them problems is the Phillies.

Hustla23
10-14-2009, 01:02 PM
Why the **** would they rebuild?

They have 4 superstars (Wright, Reyes, Beltran, Santana) in their PRIME.

When you have that much talent, you go for it all.

This team had the worst case of the injury bug in MLB history.

I don't think that's a legitimate cause for rebuilding.

With the players all healthy and adding another player via FA, the Mets will be contenders again.

Gibby23
10-14-2009, 02:20 PM
All they need is a pitcher, outfielder, and a guy for the pen

Stash
10-14-2009, 02:35 PM
They should be fine as long as they stay relatively healthy. Of course a FA signing or two wouldn't hurt.

MDfootball36
10-14-2009, 02:40 PM
their a good team when healthy,saying their best is just crazy talk

VRP723
10-14-2009, 02:46 PM

I don't think they'll ever understand...

Never thought I'd agree with a Phillies fan this week

VRP723
10-14-2009, 02:48 PM
They should be fine as long as they stay relatively healthy. Of course a FA signing or two wouldn't hurt.

THEY HAVE NO PITCHING, does no one else see their staff

Johan
Perez
Pelfrey
Maine
Redding

They have an ace and 4 fifth starters

JOSKOMANG4
10-14-2009, 03:00 PM
The mets need to fill a bunch of holes..

Primarily...

OF
SP
1b
C
2b

I say... bring in

Jason Marquis(Franceour & Marquis good buddies; Marquis from the NY area.. says he wants to play in teh big apple so minaya PONY UP *****)

Carl Crawford (trade for the player; Absolute stud. would be great addition with Reyes on top of that lineup.).. But if the Rays said we wanted Reyes in Return for Crawford.. Do you do it? I think so.

1b. I want Nick Johnson. .Not a yankee fan but i loved him in pin stripes. He reminds of a Todd Zeile/Jon Olerud type player.

2b. Pleae dont **** up this time and offer Orlando Hudson the money and the years to come the big apple. He said he wants to play in NY.. so honestly.. step it..

TRADE!

Beltran & castillo to the Cubbies for Carlos Zambrano.....

Projected starters:

C- Santos
1b- Nick Johnson
2b- Hudson
SS- Reyes or Rubin Tejada
3b- Wright
LF- Crawford
CF- F. Martinez
RF- Franceour

Rotation:

-Santana
-Zambrano
- Marquis
- Pelfrey
- Niese

Setup : Putz
Closer; K rod

MooseWithFleas
10-14-2009, 03:11 PM
Ask A-Team about the mets. He had them completely pegged from the start of season. Lack of organizational depth was the downfall of the team. He foresaw some injuries that would kill the team because of lack of replacement level players. Of course, no one saw THAT history of an injury bug, but it was a large scale version of what he was saying.

Hustla23
10-14-2009, 03:52 PM
Ask A-Team about the mets. He had them completely pegged from the start of season. Lack of organizational depth was the downfall of the team. He foresaw some injuries that would kill the team because of lack of replacement level players. Of course, no one saw THAT history of an injury bug, but it was a large scale version of what he was saying.
Yeah sure.

I'd like to see the posts before the season started saying Reyes, Beltran, and Delgado wouldn't play the entire season, Santana would get hurt and that David Wright would miss 20 games because someone tried to kill him.

This is all talked about to death so quit it.

Lack of organizational depth my ***, what would any team do when their top 3 players never played?

Right, bring up superstar minor league players :rolleyes:

How about you enjoy the postseason you're in right now and not try to seem like ****ing Nostradamus.

Hustla23
10-14-2009, 03:53 PM
The Mets have 40 million to add some superstar talent.

They'll be back in the hunt.

I think.

fanofclendennon
10-14-2009, 04:01 PM
Nostradmous scholars just found a quattrain that showed he in fact predicted the injuies on the Mets this year:

A disease of 25 will overcome the athletes
Near a river in the northeast where they play
Diamonds will be replaced by lesser valued stones
Frustrated Omas will have no answers.

Nymfan87
10-14-2009, 04:23 PM
THEY HAVE NO PITCHING, does no one else see their staff

Johan
Perez
Pelfrey
Maine
Redding

They have an ace and 4 fifth starters

Maine and Perez are #3 starters when healthy (Perez wasn't healthy this year, you don't go from throwing 96 mph your whole career to not being able to hit 90 without being hurt), and Pelfrey was in his Sophomore Slump, after posting an 11-5 record with a 3.20 ERA his final 23 starts of 2008, due to arm fatigue from a huge innings increase. If the Mets sign Lackey and only one of their starters gets hurt not named Santana or Lackey, they'd be fine.

Oh, and if they sign Holliday and LaRoche their lineup would go Reyes/Castillo/Wright/Beltran/Holliday/LaRoche/Francoeur/catcher/pitcher

One of the best lineups in the majors if people are healthy and Francoeur can keep hitting like he did when he joined the Mets. He's likely to hit something along the lines of .260/20/80 next year, not bad for your 7th hitter.

With almost 40 million coming off the payroll, and the Mets owners saying that the payroll for next season is "whatever Omar needs," you can clearly see that they aren't in such terrible shape as everyone likes to think they are.

mikeman0000
10-14-2009, 04:25 PM
Trade Castillo + for Pierre, Sign Orlando Hudson

Sign Orando Cabrera

And what do you think about this Met fans...

Jose Reyes and Brad Holt for Felix Hernandez and then they'll have the perfect lineup for citi.

THEN

Ollie Perez, Daniel Murphy, Bobby Parnell to Chi Cubs for D Lee

Pierre LF
Cabrera SS
Wright 3B
Beltran CF
Lee 1B
Francoeur RF
Hudson 2B
Santos/Thole/Zaun C

Felix - Johan - Pelfrey - Penny? Bedard? sign FA - Redding

They'd contend with the Fish, Braves and Nationals. Oh, and maybe the Phillies.

Just change the dynamic of their team

jetsfan89
10-14-2009, 04:28 PM

Sign Orando Cabrera

Jose Reyes and Brad Holt for Felix Hernandez and then they'll have the perfect lineup for citi.

THEN

Pierre LF
Cabrera SS
Wright 3B
Beltran CF
Lee 1B
Francoeur RF
Hudson 2B
Santos/Thole/Zaun C

looks good to me. im usually against trading reyes but for king felix its definitely worth it.

jacquewho?
10-14-2009, 04:29 PM
Maybe add a #3 starter, but it's primarily injuries that killed the team badly this year IMO.

Dark Donnie
10-14-2009, 04:30 PM
As good as Jose Reyes is you'd probably have to add a couple of prospects to that. I don't think Sea wants to trade him at all.

mikeman0000
10-14-2009, 04:31 PM
looks good to me. im usually against trading reyes but for king felix its definitely worth it.

And you know how much I hate the Mets, I just love baseball more and I truly believe that for the MLB to be at its best, the Phillies and Mets, as well as yanks bosox and dodgers iants and cubs cardinals need to be bloodshed.

It needs to be heated and Reyes doesn't step up. Trade him for Felix, it will be good.

GivenGrace
10-14-2009, 04:32 PM
I NEVER said they were the best team.

I said they are one of the best teams in baseball when healthy and I stand by that.

NyCsPoRtS1
10-14-2009, 04:38 PM
all the mets need is thier players to get healthy and another pitcher im a yankee fan thank god but why all this stuff about firing everyone and the mets suck? they were torn up by injuries

VenezuelanMet
10-14-2009, 04:45 PM
Maine and Perez are #3 starters when healthy (Perez wasn't healthy this year, you don't go from throwing 96 mph your whole career to not being able to hit 90 without being hurt), and Pelfrey was in his Sophomore Slump, after posting an 11-5 record with a 3.20 ERA his final 23 starts of 2008, due to arm fatigue from a huge innings increase. If the Mets sign Lackey and only one of their starters gets hurt not named Santana or Lackey, they'd be fine.

Please, stop spreading that blatant lie, It's true, we have no ****ing rotation. I have hopes for Pelfrey but he shouldn't be an important part of any rotation right now.

Oliver Perez ****ing sucks, always has, always will.

Edit: LOL You're talking about Maine and not Pelfrey, even worse. While He doesn't sucks he has the stamina of a teenager, I'm ok with him as a 5th starter though.

Nymfan87
10-14-2009, 05:58 PM
Please, stop spreading that blatant lie, It's true, we have no ****ing rotation. I have hopes for Pelfrey but he shouldn't be an important part of any rotation right now.

Oliver Perez ****ing sucks, always has, always will.

Edit: LOL You're talking about Maine and not Pelfrey, even worse. While He doesn't sucks he has the stamina of a teenager, I'm ok with him as a 5th starter though.

People look at Maine's relatively low innings pitched and like to say he has poor stamina, but it's because he throws so many pitches. He's not throwing less pitches than Johan Santana just because Santana does it over 7 innings and Maine does it over 5 or 6.

And in 2007, the season when he was entirely healthy: 15-10, 3.91 ERA, 191 innings, 180 strikeouts. That's #3 stuff, wouldn't you say?

Perez's 2008: 10-7, 4.22 ERA, 194 innings, 180 strikeouts. Isn't that #3 stuff? And his 2007 season was even better.

Zmaster52
10-14-2009, 06:07 PM
they don't need prospects, the farm system will never be any good, they need either ready talent or veterans

UofA
10-14-2009, 06:38 PM
I don't think we need to rebuild. We were in first place until we lost delgado, reyes, and stayed competitive until we lost putz for the year and then beltran was the dagger. I don't really think we would have won the division cuz of philly but when were healthy I feel like we're still a top 10ish team. and Im sure the mets won't rebuild, whether they should our not they won't, I'd expect at least a quality starter to be signed as well as a power LF/1B

WrongIslander
10-14-2009, 06:47 PM
they don't need prospects, the farm system will never be any good, they need either ready talent or veterans

It could be if we had the right people to put one in place.

My personal view is that Manuel deserves another shot. There is really not much anyone could have done in his situation and I have no problem seeing him back next year. Minaya on the other hand?

The man is a joke. He added embarrasment on the field to even more embarrasment off it, he has no class, isn't very good at his job (understatement anyone?) and the fact he is coming back screams of "meh whatayagonnado" and "if we **** it up this year we have a perfect scapegoat to take the blame of us".

Starting again is unrealistic and rash, changing the ethos slightly is not.

misterd
10-14-2009, 07:08 PM
they can't afford to rebuild. they are in New York.

Rebuild and New York don't go together. Ask the knicks how well thats going for them and their fans.

But how long have Knicks been rebuilding?

The Mets aren't the Yankees. Their fans will likely tolerate a year or two of rebuilding under normal circumstances, but this isn't normal.

Having collapsed completely for two consecutive Septembers, the Mets had reasons to expect hope this year, only to see it collapse amongst a pile of bodies so large it is hard to chalk up to bad luck. After any number of fiascos, the Mets management (not to mention its medical staff) appears to be incompetent.

Thankfully for Jerry and Omar, the injuries give them a little cover. Fans, and more importantly the owners, are willing to give them one more shot. But just one. That means no rebuilding for them. They have to put a competetive team on the field in 2010, using a weak free agent class and a farm system shallow in trade bait to find supplements to Beltran, Wright, Reyes, Santana and KRod.

uwish1127
10-14-2009, 08:18 PM
Rebuild/Go for it, Make some key trades, Like trade Luis Castillo, Jose Reyes, Oliver Perez and Francisco Rodriguez

Now for Reyes and Rodriguez that should pull in some nice prospects. Maybe to the Red Sox in return they get Paplebon, and some other pitching prospects. So now you have closer filled and then turn to free agents and sign Miguel Tejeda.

Luis Castillo should be able to land for someone if not just release him, replace him with Freddy Sanchez, Orlando Hudson, or Mark Derossa others to conisder would be Placido Palanco and Akinori Iwamura, ooo and Juan Uribe

Oliver Perez was a waste however, he is affordable and teams might take him, take what you get. But if Johan comes back healthy Id go after two starters after getting rid of Perez. Erik Bedard, John Lackey would be two big names but others would be Rich Harden, Tim Hudson, Justin Dushcherer, Joel Pinero, and Randy Wolf. But they would have to hope Hudson and Dushererer dont get hurt like they been.

They need to get some bench guys as well who idk but theres was terrible. Gary Sheffield should be let go since he is just a royal pain. Go after someone like Thome or Matsui as your DH.

Now also depending on what happens with Delgado they should just take Nick Johnson cause if they sign Thome or Matsui they have enough power there rather than go after Russell Branyan. But Delgado is best for them.

Last Jason Bay would be perfect to complete everything. He'd bring power, clutch hitting and help the outfield. Matt Holliday did not do well with a new team at first so, Idk if its worth that shot with him. Also Last SIGN A DAM CATCHER, Rod Barajas would fit in.

So round up here.

Sign the following free agents:
Miguel Tejeda
Orlando Hudson
Hideki Matsui/Jim Thome
Jason Bay
Rod Barajas
John Lackey/Erik Bedard
Tim Hudson/Justin D/ Joel Pinero/Randy Wolf

Trade: Francisco Rodriguez, Oliver Perez, Jose Reyes, and Luis Castillo for prospects and a closer(Jonathan Papplebon)

It seems like too much but that in my eyes is how the Mets need to change that ball club around and be able to contend with the Braves, Marlins, and Phillies and maybe the Nationals, cause if it wasnt for there crappy pitching they be a good team.

Ok im done, back to Yankees

Ralf Jones
10-14-2009, 08:25 PM
I'm gonna assume the part in bold was a joke.as for the other part.the yankees tried that approach and ended up with a baron waste land for a minor league system.mets need to get their current guys healthy.and smartly evaluate the market and grab what they need

KingerSox
10-14-2009, 08:43 PM
The Mets also lost Reyes, Beltran, Delgado, Santana, and Putz for extended periods of time. If just one of those guys gets hurt they are probably okay but ALL of them got hurt so they were immediately ****ed.

The Mets will reload and be right back in the thick of it next year. Maybe a new 1B, a new corner outfielder, and another starter in the offseason and they will be right back in the thick of it.

Exactly. Look at the Yankees last year.. no playoffs and they didn't blow it up. Teams like the Mets, Yankees, Red Sox, Angles, Dodgers ect... will never rebuild because of the ******** amount of money they can throw out there at players. You don't rebuild when you have tons of money and no hard salary cap. All these teams can pay luxery taxes.

Teams like the Mets don't rebuild, they "re-tool". A complete rebuild means dumping salary for prospects, playing younger players and drafting extremely well with a top notch developement system in place. Rebuilds take upwards of half a decade if not longer. The Mets know they can't have any of that. They just need to retool.

They will be back in the thick of it for sure, barring they don't spend on the wrong personelle.

metsfan316
10-14-2009, 09:10 PM

are u serious. their main talent are wright, reyes, and santana. two out of three are talent from within. their starting 1b is talent from within. maine and pelfrey are talent from within

pf289
10-14-2009, 09:15 PM
Rebuild/Go for it, Make some key trades, Like trade Luis Castillo, Jose Reyes, Oliver Perez and Francisco Rodriguez

Now for Reyes and Rodriguez that should pull in some nice prospects. Maybe to the Red Sox in return they get Paplebon, and some other pitching prospects. So now you have closer filled and then turn to free agents and sign Miguel Tejeda.

Luis Castillo should be able to land for someone if not just release him, replace him with Freddy Sanchez, Orlando Hudson, or Mark Derossa others to conisder would be Placido Palanco and Akinori Iwamura, ooo and Juan Uribe

Oliver Perez was a waste however, he is affordable and teams might take him, take what you get. But if Johan comes back healthy Id go after two starters after getting rid of Perez. Erik Bedard, John Lackey would be two big names but others would be Rich Harden, Tim Hudson, Justin Dushcherer, Joel Pinero, and Randy Wolf. But they would have to hope Hudson and Dushererer dont get hurt like they been.

They need to get some bench guys as well who idk but theres was terrible. Gary Sheffield should be let go since he is just a royal pain. Go after someone like Thome or Matsui as your DH.

Now also depending on what happens with Delgado they should just take Nick Johnson cause if they sign Thome or Matsui they have enough power there rather than go after Russell Branyan. But Delgado is best for them.

Last Jason Bay would be perfect to complete everything. He'd bring power, clutch hitting and help the outfield. Matt Holliday did not do well with a new team at first so, Idk if its worth that shot with him. Also Last SIGN A DAM CATCHER, Rod Barajas would fit in.

So round up here.

Sign the following free agents:
Miguel Tejeda
Orlando Hudson
Hideki Matsui/Jim Thome
Jason Bay
Rod Barajas
John Lackey/Erik Bedard
Tim Hudson/Justin D/ Joel Pinero/Randy Wolf

Trade: Francisco Rodriguez, Oliver Perez, Jose Reyes, and Luis Castillo for prospects and a closer(Jonathan Papplebon)

It seems like too much but that in my eyes is how the Mets need to change that ball club around and be able to contend with the Braves, Marlins, and Phillies and maybe the Nationals, cause if it wasnt for there crappy pitching they be a good team.

Ok im done, back to Yankees

NL = no DH buddy also why get rid of Reyes?

Dmac
10-14-2009, 09:17 PM

Sign Orando Cabrera

THEN

Pierre LF
Cabrera SS
Wright 3B
Beltran CF
Lee 1B
Francoeur RF
Hudson 2B
Santos/Thole/Zaun C

My God man. That has to be the worst trade proposal I have seen on here. Why would the Cubs ever agree to an awful trade like that? That kind of package wouldn't land an autographed picture of Lee. He was their best player this year, and he is great defensively.

He has a no trade clause anyway, and wouldn't waive it to go to the Mets.

metsfan316
10-14-2009, 09:57 PM
The mets need to fill a bunch of holes..

Primarily...

OF
SP
1b
C
2b

I say... bring in

Jason Marquis(Franceour & Marquis good buddies; Marquis from the NY area.. says he wants to play in teh big apple so minaya PONY UP *****)

Carl Crawford (trade for the player; Absolute stud. would be great addition with Reyes on top of that lineup.).. But if the Rays said we wanted Reyes in Return for Crawford.. Do you do it? I think so.

1b. I want Nick Johnson. .Not a yankee fan but i loved him in pin stripes. He reminds of a Todd Zeile/Jon Olerud type player.

2b. Pleae dont **** up this time and offer Orlando Hudson the money and the years to come the big apple. He said he wants to play in NY.. so honestly.. step it..

TRADE!

Beltran & castillo to the Cubbies for Carlos Zambrano.....

Projected starters:

C- Santos
1b- Nick Johnson
2b- Hudson
SS- Reyes or Rubin Tejada
3b- Wright
LF- Crawford
CF- F. Martinez
RF- Franceour

Rotation:

-Santana
-Zambrano
- Marquis
- Pelfrey
- Niese

Setup : Putz
Closer; K rod

I agree with alot. I would love Marquis. Hudson should have been a met last year. Crawford would make a great outfielder for the Mets, and he can bring his triples with him. If not Crawford then Abreu who also should have been a met last year. But I would rather have Adam LaRoche at first than Nick Johnson. if LaRoche wants to stay in Atlanta than go after Aubrey Huff. Huff would really bring the power the Mets need. And why trade one of your best players in Beltran for Zambrano when u can just sign a young free-agent starter in Harden or Duchscherer. And sign Jose Molina. Also trade Oliver Perez, and Luis Castillo, Angel Pagan, and Tim Redding for a bench and some bullpen. Murphy can stay on the bench.

SS. Jose Reyes
RF. Carl Crawford (or Bobby Abreu)
3B. David Wright
1B. Adam LaRoche (or Aubrey Huff)
CF. Carlos Beltran
LF. Jeff Francoeur
2B. Orlando Hudson
C. Jose Molina
P. Johan Santana

1. Johan Santana
2. Rich Harden (or Justin Duchscherer)
3. Jason Marquis
4. Mike Pelfrey
5. John Maine (other possibilities Fernando Nieve and John Niese)

Setup- Bobby Parnell
Closer- K-Rod (who will bounce back)

BronxBomb
10-14-2009, 10:10 PM
They need a LF, 1B, a #2 and #3 type starter and probably a reliever to compete and be in the race.
Guerrero, Holliday, Bay, and Abreu should be avail to highest bidder.
Branyan, NJohnson, LaRoche are FAs
and alot of pitchers Bedard, Lackey, maybe Webb and Hudson should be available...

They can reasonably add Abreu, Branyan and Lackey and Pavano and be a major contender.

If they are going to spend keep them together, but if they are going to be minor players in the FA market blow it up...

Problem is RedSox need LF and 1B, Angels may need OF, Yankees may need LF, etc

VenezuelanMet
10-14-2009, 10:18 PM
Oh god, stupid trade/offseason ideas have leaked from our board.

I feel embarassed. :laugh2:

odiz
10-15-2009, 01:40 AM
Why is this thread still in the MLB forum? Any other time someone makes a thread about their team it gets moved.

DasBoot
10-15-2009, 01:44 AM
Mid level power hitters who cant play defense is not the way to go. Players like Matsui, Bay, Holliday, Derosa, Thome and lower players like Tejada will struggle. What you want in Citi field is a Defensively sound, speedy athletic, strong pitching team. Trading Reyes is the worst idea ever. He's a gap hitter who can run circles around most guys and is a pretty solid glove. Two players who would fit in the lineup perfectly are Figgins and Polanco. Nick Johnson would fit well also.

On a pitching note who knows what trades can/will be made but if there are none are made a deal for Lackey would be smart as well as an incentive deal with Sheets.

Figgins-LF
Reyes-SS
Wright-3B
Beltran-CF
Francour-RF
Polanco-2B
Johnson-1B
Olivo-C

Hyland
10-15-2009, 09:33 AM
Rebuild their farm system.
Keep their MLB team, but add free agents, an ace to be #2 behind Santana and a corner outfielder and a CATCHER most importantly.

They could easily be better than the big 3 in the East.
A team with Beltran, Reyes, Wright, Santana and Rodriguez is too good to be denied.

uwish1127
10-15-2009, 12:23 PM
NL = no DH buddy also why get rid of Reyes?

Wow totaly forgot haha, but get rid of Reyes for pitching prospects, especially from Boston, because they swap Rodriguez for Pappelbon and Reyes for prospects

theLgndKllr35
10-15-2009, 12:50 PM
One of the first steps they need to take is trading Reyes and give complete control of the team to Wright. Build around him. Give him veterans like Cabrera, Hudson, Pierre, guys who know their place and do their job, a stop gap before guys like Havens can come up and produce. They also need a 1B stopgap before Davis comes up, so somebody like LaRoche or Blalock should do. The bullpen will be fine as long as it stays healthy, but what they do need is starting pitching, one big starter should come back in the Reyes deal, if they were smart they would get Halladay for him, then lock him up long term. Some guys to target should be Wolf, Duchscherer, Harden, Myers, Padilla, Penny, Sheets, or Marquis.

5+7=DYNASTY!!!
10-15-2009, 01:52 PM
1. Sign John Lackey 5 year 75 million(15 per)
2. Sign Aroldis Chapman 5 year 30 million(1/6/7/7.5/8.5)
3. Trade Jeurys Familia, Eddie Kunz, Nick Evans to the TB Rays for B.J. Upton.
4. Trade Luis Castillo to the Chicago Cubs for Sean Marshall.
5. Sign Placido Polanco 2 years 6 million(3/3).
6. Sign Russell Branyan 1 year 8 million w/2nd year club option(8/8*)
7. Resign J.J. Putz 1 year 3 million
8. Resign Fernando Tatis 1 year 2 million
9. Sign Jose Molina 1 year 1 million
10. Resign Angel Pagan 1 year 2 million
11. Sign Adam Everett 1 year 750K
12. Sign Chad Bradford 1 year 1 million

Rotation:
Johan Santana
John Lackey
Mike Pelfrey
John Maine
Oliver Perez

Reserves:
Jon Niese
Aroldis Chapman

Bullpen:
KRod
Putz
Feliciano
Parnell
Marshall
Stokes
Bradford

Lineup:
1. Jose Reyes-SS
2. B.J. Upton-LF
3. Carlos Beltran-CF
4. David Wright-3B
5. Russell Branyan-1B
6. Jeff Francouer-RF
7. Placido Polanco-2B
8. Josh Thole/Omir Santos-C

Bench:
Thole/Santos
Angel Pagan
Fernando Tatis
Daniel Murphy
Adam Everett

We win with pitching, defense, and speed while the stars in our lineup carry the offense. Also, we still have plenty of assets in the minors to go and get a piece mid-season

Just my .02 from a couple weeks ago

Havoc Wreaker
10-15-2009, 01:54 PM

Would you like fries with all that, sir?

:laugh2:

SeoulBeatz
10-15-2009, 02:07 PM
i honestly dont think its time to rebuild at all, and yes im a phillies fan.

this team was destroyed by injuries. when healthy they do choke but to say this is a talentless team is just ignorant.

it was kind of boring this year not being able to jaw with mets fans as the season came winding down

commonsense12
10-15-2009, 03:12 PM

Wow you are clueless. They Mets are old...really. So santana, wright, reyes and beltran are old? BUild from within...where did Reyes and Wright come from?

commonsense12
10-15-2009, 03:15 PM
All they need to do is do what the Yanks did last year. Sign 2 pitchers (lackey and mayeb hudson) and a bat (holliday) and they would win the East.

If they show the money they will be fine. With the amount of injuries they had last year, you cant even say you saw what the Mets had to offer. I personally have never seen a team with so many injuries. It got so bad their backups were getting injured lol. Thats just sad lol.

5+7=DYNASTY!!!
10-15-2009, 03:45 PM

Do you write your own jokes, or do you pay someone for those little golden nuggets(hehe, that's a pun, because you mentioned fries)?:p

misterd
10-15-2009, 07:17 PM
All they need to do is do what the Yanks did last year. Sign 2 pitchers (lackey and mayeb hudson) and a bat (holliday) and they would win the East.

If they show the money they will be fine. With the amount of injuries they had last year, you cant even say you saw what the Mets had to offer. I personally have never seen a team with so many injuries. It got so bad their backups were getting injured lol. Thats just sad lol.

They can't. Well, they can the way you say it, but not to the same effect. Lackey/Hudson/Holliday << CC/AJ/Tex. Many don't remember, but the Yankees were quiet in the '07-'08 offseasons. One reason was they had their eye on 2009, and they splurged there because '10 wasn't worth waiting for.

The good news is, economy being what it is, they should get those players for far less than the Yankees did - forget the long term money - those three cost the Yanks roughly $60m this season, so the Mets, who I hear have $40m coming off, should be able to squeeze at least 3 decent players out of the FA market without a substantial payroll boost. If they are willing to go all out, they could add a number of shiny new ornaments to their christmas tree IF they can convince the players Flushing is a place they want to be.

johnnylee722
10-15-2009, 07:23 PM
Well they are making some nice additions next year getting one of the best pitchers in baseball, the best center fielder in baseball and an All-Star short stop, so we'll see how that helps.

Wright could handle the pressure this year of being the only major league player on the team and broke down by the end of the year... plus the concussion didn't help.

The team has $40M to spend this off-season, they are going to spend it. They are going to get at least one starter and a hitter, plus the additions I mentioned in the first part.

They are not rebuilding any time soon.

johnnylee722
10-15-2009, 07:26 PM

Mets have a lot of money to spend, coming off a very disappointing season, plus their is a 50% chance the Yankees or Phillies will win the World Series (which would put more pressure on them to put a good team together).

They are going to sign players, they are going to trade for players and their team will be better in 2010... and by better I mean even with everyone healthy, if would be better then that.

misterd
10-15-2009, 07:28 PM

Interesting. Lemme look it over...

1. Sign John Lackey 5 year 75 million(15 per) Probably jump at it.
2. Sign Aroldis Chapman 5 year 30 million(1/6/7/7.5/8.5) A couple of clubs may match that money. You may need to go to higher to seal the deal.
3. Trade Jeurys Familia, Eddie Kunz, Nick Evans to the TB Rays for B.J. Upton. Love Upton. Great add if the Rays like what you offer.
4. Trade Luis Castillo to the Chicago Cubs for Sean Marshall I may be wrong,but I doubt the Cubbies agree to that deal..
5. Sign Placido Polanco 2 years 6 million(3/3).
6. Sign Russell Branyan 1 year 8 million w/2nd year club option(8/8*)
7. Resign J.J. Putz 1 year 3 million Injury makes it questionable what he would get on the market; he may want more.
8. Resign Fernando Tatis 1 year 2 million
9. Sign Jose Molina 1 year 1 million You're over paying. I doubt he'd refuse it, but you may be able to do better.
10. Resign Angel Pagan 1 year 2 million
11. Sign Adam Everett 1 year 750K
12. Sign Chad Bradford 1 year 1 million

johnnylee722
10-15-2009, 07:37 PM
Go after someone like Thome or Matsui as your DH.

We play real baseball in this part of New York... sooo...

Havoc Wreaker
10-15-2009, 07:39 PM
Do you write your own jokes, or do you pay someone for those little golden nuggets(hehe, that's a pun, because you mentioned fries)?:p

Very well played, sir. :clap:

johnnylee722
10-15-2009, 07:43 PM
Well if the Mets spend $16M on Lackey and $17M on Holliday they would still have $7M left to spend (if the reports of the $40M is true).

I say get Mike Gonzalez and Jason Kendell with the remaining money.

Reyes-Castillo-Beltran-Holliday-Wright-Murphy-Francoeur-Thole/Kendell

Kendell/Thole-Pagan-AHern-Sullivan or Reed-Evans

Johan-Lackey-Niese-Pelfrey-Ollie

Frankie-Gonzalez-Parnell-Maine-Feliciano-Green-Stokes

Very solid team.

Lisound15
10-15-2009, 08:19 PM

Theyre old??
wright, reyes, santana, K rod, Beltran, francoeur, murphy, pagan, maine, perez, pelfrey, neise, parnell, santos, thole are all 30 or under....
i agree that they should rebuild, but give good reasons... and fyi their two best players came from within... but on to the actual point, they should try and trade dead weight like castillo, schneider, redding, sullivan, and pagan for whatever we can get to somewhat help the farm system. Theyre biggest mistakes were resigning delgado and not going after teixeira, and signing perez instead of burnett or lowe. Maybe if they get lackey in the offseason, and maybe make a trade for a first baseman they can compete next year.

Pensx3
10-15-2009, 09:31 PM
Any team that signs Gary Sheffield to a $14 million deal and Oliver Perez to a $12 million deal deserves to lose....Oliver Perez was terrible on the Pirates, I dont understand why the Mets traded for Perez or Benson. They sucked for us, and it wasnt because of a lack of run support. They just plain sucked. The Mets have the 2nd highest salary at $145 according to ESPN. For that much money, you should be a playoff team. Terrible management. This team is not rebounding anytime soon in that division. if the Mets played in the NL Central, the worst division in baseball, they would be a playoff team. But when you have to compete with 3 good teams, your chances are slim.

OaklandsFinest
10-15-2009, 09:44 PM
How would you guys like a Zito, Rowand, and Freddy Sanchez trade for Carlos Beltran and Jose Reyes? :)

DaPrimeTime21
10-15-2009, 09:44 PM
should trade the marlins david wright :) Since he isnt that good anyways yep yep :)

the marlins should trade the red sox back Hanley Ramirez :) Since he isnt that good anyways yep yep :)

olimets02
10-15-2009, 09:46 PM
Any team that signs Gary Sheffield to a $14 million deal and Oliver Perez to a $12 million deal deserves to lose....Oliver Perez was terrible on the Pirates, I dont understand why the Mets traded for Perez or Benson. They sucked for us, and it wasnt because of a lack of run support. They just plain sucked. The Mets have the 2nd highest salary at $145 according to ESPN. For that much money, you should be a playoff team. Terrible management. This team is not rebounding anytime soon in that division. if the Mets played in the NL Central, the worst division in baseball, they would be a playoff team. But when you have to compete with 3 good teams, your chances are slim.

lol mets signed sheff for 400K oliver perez can be an ace with electric stuff but he is a headcase signing him was a big mistake benson was a long time ago why talk about him? the mets could be contenders if they get another ace behind johan and get all of their players healthy.

DaPrimeTime21
10-15-2009, 09:48 PM

they didnt sign sheffield to a 12 million dollar deal. Sheffield had a 12 million dollar deal with the tigers, who cut him. But they still had to pay him. I believe he therefore signed with the Mets for vet minimum since he was already getting big bucks from the tigers.

UPDATE: sorry, olimets02, I was typing when your message went through!

Pensx3
10-15-2009, 09:54 PM
my bad, for $400k good deal mets! sorry about that....any team the signs sheffield to a $14 mill deal doesnt deserve to make the playoffs...haha good job Tigers!

Im only kidding, the mets have some solid hitters but the pitching is questionable. Last year was a fluke so who knows what they are capable of with a healthy lineup

commonsense12
10-15-2009, 09:58 PM
They can't. Well, they can the way you say it, but not to the same effect. Lackey/Hudson/Holliday << CC/AJ/Tex. Many don't remember, but the Yankees were quiet in the '07-'08 offseasons. One reason was they had their eye on 2009, and they splurged there because '10 wasn't worth waiting for.

The good news is, economy being what it is, they should get those players for far less than the Yankees did - forget the long term money - those three cost the Yanks roughly $60m this season, so the Mets, who I hear have $40m coming off, should be able to squeeze at least 3 decent players out of the FA market without a substantial payroll boost. If they are willing to go all out, they could add a number of shiny new ornaments to their christmas tree IF they can convince the players Flushing is a place they want to be.

I didnt mean it to compare the players to the Yanks, i meant it as signing 2 pitchers and a bat.

metsfan316
10-15-2009, 10:45 PM
How would you guys like a Zito, Rowand, and Freddy Sanchez trade for Carlos Beltran and Jose Reyes? :)

u cant be serious

gmanthree15
10-15-2009, 10:54 PM
we need 2 more legit bats. One in LF and one at first. Unfortunately there is no one to fill that first basemen hole. All of the available 1B FA have question marks and aren't sure things. Holliday would be great, and Delgado will probably accept arbitration so he will be back. Delgado can play the first 2 months, then get hurt, and we can bring Davis up.

The starting rotation is the big problem. pelfrey isn't progressing, Niese can't be relied upon to be healthy, Maine doesn't have the stamina to be a starter, perez is the devil, and Santana hopefully will return as Santana. Lackey is a must in a weak pitching FA class. I think the question of the off-season is going to be whether or not the organization decides to give up on Reyes and use him to get a front-line starter.

odiz
10-15-2009, 10:57 PM
u cant be serious

Obviously he isn't.

metsfan316
10-15-2009, 11:08 PM
Obviously he isn't.

i figured

metsfan316
10-15-2009, 11:11 PM
we need 2 more legit bats. One in LF and one at first. Unfortunately there is no one to fill that first basemen hole. All of the available 1B FA have question marks and aren't sure things. Holliday would be great, and Delgado will probably accept arbitration so he will be back. Delgado can play the first 2 months, then get hurt, and we can bring Davis up.

The starting rotation is the big problem. pelfrey isn't progressing, Niese can't be relied upon to be healthy, Maine doesn't have the stamina to be a starter, perez is the devil, and Santana hopefully will return as Santana. Lackey is a must in a weak pitching FA class. I think the question of the off-season is going to be whether or not the organization decides to give up on Reyes and use him to get a front-line starter.

how about Adam LaRoche or Aubrey Huff at 1B

olimets02
10-15-2009, 11:17 PM
how about Adam LaRoche or Aubrey Huff at 1B

what about carlos delgado then call ike davis up

misterd
10-16-2009, 12:21 AM
I didnt mean it to compare the players to the Yanks, i meant it as signing 2 pitchers and a bat.

Just be careful as you rearm that you don't sacrifice too many draft picks or trade away the farm. You don't want to be left with older, high priced players, a high payroll, and no prospects. Makes it impossible to make adjustments when the need arises (and it always does).

I understand the Mets need to compete next season, but really,long term priority #1 should be stocking the farm system. They better not go cheap in the next draft. Lord knows they sacrificed a lot to get some high picks.

Sick Of It All
10-16-2009, 12:25 AM
The Mets are in a tough position since their 2 best hitting prospects are a LF and a 1st baseman, but because of what happen this year odds are they will spend big on a1 of those 2 areas and on a #2 type pitcher.

ronfin
10-16-2009, 12:29 AM
The Mets don't need to rebuild. They need the players they have to stay healthy, and add a few more quality players in the off-season if they can manage it. When they're healthy, they're a solid ball-club. We've seen it. Do I want them to get healthy and add a few more really good players? ***** no! It's bad enough as is with the Marlins and the Braves. Stay ****** Mets. I wont mind. ;)

Nymfan87
10-16-2009, 12:34 AM
Just be careful as you rearm that you don't sacrifice too many draft picks or trade away the farm. You don't want to be left with older, high priced players, a high payroll, and no prospects. Makes it impossible to make adjustments when the need arises (and it always does).

I understand the Mets need to compete next season, but really,long term priority #1 should be stocking the farm system. They better not go cheap in the next draft. Lord knows they sacrificed a lot to get some high picks.

Our first round pick is protected, so it would be worth it to give up a second rounder for Holliday or Lackey.

But I absolutely agree about not going cheap. If you can get a guy with 2nd round talent in a much later round and pay him way over slot, you should take him. Unfortunately, the Wilpons don't like to give big overslot money to anyone who isn't their first pick (by big overslot money, I mean $1 million or more in something like the 15 round, like how the Rockies got Fowler).

jmastert
10-16-2009, 12:46 AM
the team was a ****ing AAA ball club +David Wright

they can sign a better 1b and a good #2 pitcher.... if the whole team didint get injured they wuda been a playoff team. they shud definitely go for the gold this upcomming yeawr.

daleja424
10-16-2009, 01:05 AM
start from scratch boys...

Sean McG
10-16-2009, 01:07 AM
They amount of injuries they had just got ridiculous, they just need to forget about this season, get a nice top 10 prospect in the draft and go back next year healthy.

metsfan316
10-16-2009, 01:21 AM
start from scratch boys...

y u say that?

Tribe
10-16-2009, 08:23 AM
As an outsider looking in I would say keep the decent players that have a future with the club and start getting rid of the rest...

Wright, Reyes, anyone else really worth keeping?

Santana then who?

Beltran and Santana alone could replenish a farm system

ritz
10-16-2009, 09:01 AM

I don't think Niese's health is the problem. The guy got hurt in a freak accident (stretching at 1B to make a play).

It sucks cause the team was in the perfect situation for Niese to show us something and see if he could be relied upon for the back of the rotation, but as the Mets luck goes, he was hurt and now we don't know ****.

odiz
10-16-2009, 09:12 AM

Hmm that kind of reminds me of the current Mets?

5+7=DYNASTY!!!
10-16-2009, 01:55 PM
Very well played, sir. :clap:

Best part of the offseason for Mets fans is talking trash. During the season, that's another story, we haven't had much to talk about lately.:p

The Schmooze
10-16-2009, 02:27 PM
let us R.I.P.

Nymfan87
10-16-2009, 02:32 PM

I'm pretty sure the oldest guy that is under contract for 2010 on the team is Luis Castillo, who is currently 33. I wouldn't exactly consider 33 "old." And we're losing about 40 million off the payroll this offseason, and our low levels of the minors have some very talented players. Still pretty thin, but there is hope on the horizon.

Let's think before we speak, folks.

misterd
10-16-2009, 11:47 PM

Actually I was thinking the 2005-2007 Yankees.

But the more I think on it, the more I think the Mets shoud just take a dive next season. The best thing that could happen to you is to get Omar and Jerry fired.

ShinobiNYC
10-17-2009, 07:01 AM
I just think the current mets roster deserve a season(with all/most healthy of course) to be really judged...You can't break something you donno how good it could have been.

But they really need to improve their pitching, that's a certainty.

Ray_R
10-17-2009, 08:51 AM
Rebuild. Marlins, Phillies and the Braves are going to hand them a severe beat down next year.

Rebuild they have enough pieces to get some good young talent in return

mser58
10-17-2009, 11:41 AM
Why rebuild? They were in 1st place before all the injuries occured & were still leading the WC when guys like Reyes and Delgado went down. The straw that broke the camel's back was when Beltran was injured and Wright had to carry a AAA team. I see them winning the WC next season with a healthy team, there's just too much talent there.

You are in denial my friend, maybe Wild Card with a couple of pick ups, because the Phitin's should 4peat

Bray991
10-17-2009, 12:00 PM
I think they need to get rid of Reyes, He doesnt seem like he likes it there and you know what even tho he is hurt, I know the twins would give up two of our top 5 prospects and throw in a pitcher, maybe even someone to take his spot.

Twins Give up Aaron Hicks, Wilson Ramos, Trever Plouffe, and Anthony Swrzack,
Mets Give up: Reyes and a low level infielder