PDA

View Full Version : Andre Miller upset that he may not start at PG in Portland

JordansBulls
10-12-2009, 11:35 PM
Source: Yahoosports (http://sports.yahoo.com/nba/news;_ylt=Agte0OaT9oZor4NTwmWHCrK8vLYF?slug=mc-millerblazers101009&prov=yhoo&type=lgns)

“If I was told right out when I had my meetings that I would be a backup, then I wouldn’t have come here,” Miller told Yahoo! Sports this week.

McMillan has said he told Miller during their summer meeting in Las Vegas that he very well might make him a reserve. What is clear is that Miller wasn’t Portland’s first choice on the free-agent market. The Blazers initially thought they had a deal with forward Hedo Turkoglu only to see Turkoglu leave for Toronto. They then signed forward Paul Millsap to an offer sheet the Utah Jazz matched.

Through it all, the Blazers also wanted to find a veteran floor general to help lead one of the league’s most talented, yet youngest, rosters. The Blazers inquired about trading for Steve Nash(notes) and expressed some interest in signing Jason Kidd(notes), but both players stayed with their respective teams, so they gave Miller a three-year, $21 million contract. The $7 million third season is at Portland’s option.

“He’s such a talented player,” Blazers All-Star guard Brandon Roy(notes) said. “We’re just trying to see where he’s best, because that’s how he’s going to help our team. …We needed him on this team.”

zambo4president
10-12-2009, 11:36 PM
Trade him!

Raph12
10-13-2009, 01:23 AM
Source: Yahoosports (http://sports.yahoo.com/nba/news;_ylt=Agte0OaT9oZor4NTwmWHCrK8vLYF?slug=mc-millerblazers101009&prov=yhoo&type=lgns)

He's upset, as he should be, so is everyone else who's name isn't Steve Blake. AI situation all over again, let's see how Miller handles it.

JLynn943
10-13-2009, 01:27 AM
maybe I'm wrong, but Miller never seems to be happy

If he can't beat out Steve Blake for the starting role, then he shouldn't be their starter. Simple as that.

DieHardColtsfan
10-13-2009, 01:38 AM
Im sure he wishes he took a Knicks offer, then again its the Knicks maybe not :shrug:

Ni55anpat
10-13-2009, 01:42 AM
that sux. Your gonna start white boy over Milller? come on.

IversonIsKrazy
10-13-2009, 01:50 AM
Blake over Miller??????????????? I really really did NOT see that happening, lay off the crack McMillan.

Joshtd1
10-13-2009, 01:55 AM
I really dont think its that terrible? With Roy in the starting lineup, he essentially is the playmaker/PG. He creates for everyone, and Blake spaces the floor. I cant see Miller being super productive being a spot up shooter.

With Miller on the bench, he can be the play maker for guys like Webster and Outlaw and the others. That and he will be playing against 2nd string PG's..which he should do pretty good against.

Plus when it comes down to it, Im sure he will be on the floor when the game ends. Its not about who starts the game, but who finishes it.

DerekRE_3
10-13-2009, 02:04 AM
I really dont think its that terrible? With Roy in the starting lineup, he essentially is the playmaker/PG. He creates for everyone, and Blake spaces the floor. I cant see Miller being super productive being a spot up shooter.

With Miller on the bench, he can be the play maker for guys like Webster and Outlaw and the others. That and he will be playing against 2nd string PG's..which he should do pretty good against.

Plus when it comes down to it, Im sure he will be on the floor when the game ends. Its not about who starts the game, but who finishes it.

Josh that kind of logic and analysis has no place in the NBA Forum. A simple Miller > Blake will do thanks.

Joshtd1
10-13-2009, 02:08 AM
Josh that kind of logic and analysis has no place in the NBA Forum. A simple Miller > Blake will do thanks.

Sorry, I apologize.

Lakersfan2483
10-13-2009, 02:28 AM
Miller should definitely start for the Blazers, I am surprised they are thinking of bringing him off the bench. He's definitely one of the better point guards in the NBA and is not a backup.

i.got.the.nutz
10-13-2009, 02:48 AM
Sorry, I apologize.

:laugh::laugh::laugh:

DerekRE_3
10-13-2009, 02:50 AM
Miller should definitely start for the Blazers, I am surprised they are thinking of bringing him off the bench. He's definitely one of the better point guards in the NBA and is not a backup.

See Josh's post, then you will understand.

blackjack_119
10-13-2009, 02:53 AM
While Miller is better than Blake, Miller is better suited to play with the second unit. Both Miller and Roy are extremely good with the ball in their hands and neither is particularly good playing off of the ball. Blake and Fernandez are both good spot up shooters, but neither is as good as Roy or Miller at running an offense. Roy/Blake and Miller/Fernandez are much better back courts than Roy/Miller and Blake/Fernandez.

That being said, I think the plan for Miller was always for him to start, but he is making it as hard on McMillan as possible. McMillan always gives the "We'll let the players decide who is starting in camp" speech. He did the same thing with Oden/Przybilla last year. If Miller has even a respectable preseason, he is getting the job. Thus far, however, he has failed his conditioning test (while Blake turned in the best time any Blazer has ever had) and has underwhelmed in practice while Blake is playing very good basketball.

Stop grumbling to the media and just play. You will start. If you whine, complain and don't get into shape, you'll come off the bench. Worst case scenario, Portland can trade him to Minnesota for Kevin Love. Andre Miller's ability to play in the post would make for an excellent starting Center in Kahn's new scheme.

Lakersfan2483
10-13-2009, 03:08 AM
See Josh's post, then you will understand.

I read it and still think Miller should start. We will see what happens in the next few wks, I wouldn't be surprised if he either starts and or gets traded as he still is a top notch pg in the league and would help a lot of teams tremendously.

blackjack_119
10-13-2009, 03:42 AM
I read it and still think Miller should start. We will see what happens in the next few wks, I wouldn't be surprised if he either starts and or gets traded as he still is a top notch pg in the league and would help a lot of teams tremendously.

It would surprise me if he was traded in the next couple of weeks since I don't think that is allowed under the collective bargaining agreement.

HouRealCoach
10-13-2009, 04:54 AM
They should have got Sessions for cheaper

JordansBulls
10-13-2009, 08:12 AM
I could see Blake starting, however you don't want Roy creating for everyone on the team.

Ace33Bone
10-13-2009, 10:23 AM
A lot of people seem to be upset about blake starting but the bottom line is that Blake knows the system... he has done a good job since he has been apart of the team and had a very good year last year... If Miller cannot outright beat him for the starting spot then he should just come of the bench and STFU... its kind of like the instant replay in football unless you have irrefuttable evidence then the ruling on the field stands

Turtle55
10-13-2009, 10:39 AM
I'm shocked that he might not be the starter but I can see how it makes them a better team. That of course is only true if he can man up and accept a backup role. Hinrich, Jason Terry, Ginobili, and several others are starter caliber players but accept backup roles for the good of their teams. Miller is a better player than Blake but he's not above being a sixth man.

JayW_1023
10-13-2009, 10:43 AM

I agree...I'm so suprised Sessions took so long to get signed...the kids got potential.

NBA_fiend
10-13-2009, 12:08 PM

Josh I agree with you. I am also pretty sure that at some time during the season Andre will get his fair share of starts. Andre is a veteran and in my opinion this is all probably being a little overblown. I think if Andre does come off the bench he will be excellent as a leader and glue guy to keep the second unit in check and help them be productive. Blake and Miller will probably pretty much split the minutes at the point.

Turtle55
10-13-2009, 12:24 PM
I agree...I'm so suprised Sessions took so long to get signed...the kids got potential.

I'm also surprised he was signed by the same team that drafted two point guards in the lottery. Think they're sending a loud enough message that Telfair was their weakest starter?

JOSKOMANG4
10-13-2009, 12:31 PM
Should of never signed andre mille rin the 1st place.. they have a plethora of PG's on this team(Blake, Bayliss, and patty Mills) !!!

What they should do now is .. hopefully it'll work.. work out a deal with Detriot to acquire SF Tayshon Prince..

maybe a possible Outlaw & Miller for Prince & 2010 1st rd pick.

would be great for both teams..

Pistons:

C: Ben Wallace/Jason Maxiell/ Kwame Brown
PF: Charlie Villanueva/Chris Wilcox/Jonas Jerebko*
SF: T. Outlaw / A. Daye* / D. Summers *
SG: Ben Gordon/Richard Hamilton
PG: Andre Miller/Rodney Stuckey/Will Bynum

Blazers:

C: Joel Pryzbilla/Greg Oden
PF: LaMarcus Aldridge / Victor Claver*/ Jeff Pendergraph*/J.Howard
SF: T. Prince/ Nicolas Batum/Dante Cunningham*
SG: Brandon Roy/Rudy Fernandez/Martell Webster
PG: Steve Blake/Jerryd Bayless / Patty Mills*

Looks pretty good on both sides right??

Hawkeye15
10-13-2009, 12:47 PM
I'm also surprised he was signed by the same team that drafted two point guards in the lottery. Think they're sending a loud enough message that Telfair was their weakest starter?

Rubio isn't coming. He is a non factor. Telfair was traded. Atkins waived, Daniels next. They had 1 point guard. And they got the steal of the FA period in Sessions for 4 years, $16 million.
They have 2 Point Guards

wallerstud06
10-13-2009, 01:26 PM
Lakers should have traded Farmer and Morrison for cap relief and convinved Sessions to sign with them for a year and championship, then use most of the MLE on him....But to get back on subject...Miller should be starting he is alot better than Blake...If he dont know the system then TEACH it to him. He makes them that much deadlier.

Hellcrooner
10-13-2009, 01:56 PM
another demonstration Nate MCBURGUER is utterly stupid he has broken Jack, Sergio, Bayless and now he is goig to hinder MIllers career.

Or Blake does magnificen blow jobs or nate is just a moron.

Hellcrooner
10-13-2009, 01:58 PM
i could understand he used Roy as starting PG and then started rudy at sg or webster at sg

but blake over miller?

Come on.

thedfactor
10-13-2009, 02:20 PM
Andre Miller wasn't the right fit for that team. He's a vet and all, but the wrong guy for that team.

Steve Blake is Mr. Consistent for Portland. He never hurts the team and knows how to run that team, something Miller doesn't know yet.

I can understand where Miller is coming from, but that was Philly(a team without a true point last year) and this is Portland. The perfect vet for this team would be Steve Nash. That won't happen though so we'll see how Miller/Blake works out.

Toenail Clipper
10-13-2009, 02:20 PM
Should of never signed andre mille rin the 1st place.. they have a plethora of PG's on this team(Blake, Bayliss, and patty Mills) !!!

What they should do now is .. hopefully it'll work.. work out a deal with Detriot to acquire SF Tayshon Prince..

maybe a possible Outlaw & Miller for Prince & 2010 1st rd pick.

would be great for both teams..

Pistons:

C: Ben Wallace/Jason Maxiell/ Kwame Brown
PF: Charlie Villanueva/Chris Wilcox/Jonas Jerebko*
SF: T. Outlaw / A. Daye* / D. Summers *
SG: Ben Gordon/Richard Hamilton
PG: Andre Miller/Rodney Stuckey/Will Bynum

Blazers:

C: Joel Pryzbilla/Greg Oden
PF: LaMarcus Aldridge / Victor Claver*/ Jeff Pendergraph*/J.Howard
SF: T. Prince/ Nicolas Batum/Dante Cunningham*
SG: Brandon Roy/Rudy Fernandez/Martell Webster
PG: Steve Blake/Jerryd Bayless / Patty Mills*

Looks pretty good on both sides right??

No.
Pistons do not need another freakin Guard

Wilson
10-13-2009, 02:40 PM
I never liked this signing. If Miller starts, it takes the ball out of Brandon Roy's hands, which isn't too productive for Portland.

MTone8788
10-13-2009, 03:11 PM
Andre Miller wasn't the right fit for that team. He's a vet and all, but the wrong guy for that team.

Steve Blake is Mr. Consistent for Portland. He never hurts the team and knows how to run that team, something Miller doesn't know yet.

I can understand where Miller is coming from, but that was Philly(a team without a true point last year) and this is Portland. The perfect vet for this team would be Steve Nash. That won't happen though so we'll see how Miller/Blake works out.

That is not true. He hurt them in a playoff loss last year when he rushed the ball downcourt in the end of a close game and jacked up a bad three pointer and missed it and they went on to lose.

Hellcrooner
10-13-2009, 03:16 PM
if you watched enough portland game syou woudl realize how much blake hurts them nd how much Mcburguer hurts them with his so called coaching

topdog
10-13-2009, 03:16 PM

Yeah, that's about the only FA that really would have made sense for them. Can't say I didn't see this coming and I'm starting to lose faith in Rip City. If Oden comes around, they'll have a pretty good 3-man core but they have a bunch of talent without roles and without enough minutes to keep them happy and now the Andre Miller experience.

dtmagnet
10-13-2009, 04:05 PM
If I was Miller I would be upset too.

blackjack_119
10-13-2009, 04:10 PM
if you watched enough portland game syou woudl realize how much blake hurts them nd how much Mcburguer hurts them with his so called coaching

Spanish to English translation:
If Steve Blake is on the court, then that almost assuredly means that a Spanish player (either Sergio or Rudy) is on the bench. Since it is common knowledge that Spanish players are the best in the NBA, their absence from the floor is a detriment to the team, the sport and humanity itself. Nate McMillan should be tried for crimes against humanity for his continued stifling of world peace through the benching of Sergio Rodriguez and Rudy Fernandez.

bogmon
10-13-2009, 04:14 PM
Andre Miller will get over it...the whole starting thing is overrated...Nick Batum started over Travis Outlaw last year, but TO was always in at the end....
Miller will be the finisher while Blakey plays towel waiver.....it will all be water under the bridge when they sail to a NW Division Title!

Hellcrooner
10-13-2009, 04:17 PM
Spanish to English translation:
If Steve Blake is on the court, then that almost assuredly means that a Spanish player (either Sergio or Rudy) is on the bench. Since it is common knowledge that Spanish players are the best in the NBA, their absence from the floor is a detriment to the team, the sport and humanity itself. Nate McMillan should be tried for crimes against humanity for his continued stifling of world peace through the benching of Sergio Rodriguez and Rudy Fernandez.

translation if a fringe all star player known for distrubutin wel lthe ball and make triple doubles is in the bench means a player that would not see a single minute in a contender is starting.

Ans someone has to explain me how a coach can use a teak built for speed with quik players and athletic players and use a half court style and slow offense.

MackSnackWrap
10-13-2009, 04:39 PM
Miller should definitely be starting

sciferguy
10-13-2009, 04:49 PM
Nate isn't the kind of coach to just start someone for the sake of starting them....i dont think he was too keen on Miller being out of shape...Nate was a work horse of a player in his days and he obviously didnt like that too much...Miller hasnt taken to the new system as much as Nate would like either. This is all kind of blown out of proportion though...Nate just wants the best chances to win at the beginning of the year but as the year goes and Miller gets in better shape and knows the system, he will start no doubt...
Nate does have a slight record of underutilizing players but the Blazers did have the most efficient offense in the NBA so I would go ahead and trust him for now.

Chronz
10-13-2009, 05:36 PM
Miller should have learned how to shoot if he wanted to start on a team with an elite combo guard.

blackjack_119
10-13-2009, 06:23 PM
translation if a fringe all star player known for distrubutin wel lthe ball and make triple doubles is in the bench means a player that would not see a single minute in a contender is starting.

Ans someone has to explain me how a coach can use a teak built for speed with quik players and athletic players and use a half court style and slow offense.

It's a Larry Brown technique for making young teams perform better than they should. Here is basically how the premise goes:
If a young team plays an equally talented veteran team, the veteran team will usually win. The reasoning is that young team will make a few more mental mistakes per game because of the lack of experience. The more possessions there are per game, the more likely it is that the veteran team will win, because there are a greater number of opportunities for the young team to make those mental mistakes.

Larry Brown would always have a very slow pace for his young teams because limiting the possessions limits the opportunities for mental errors to impact the games (letting his teams "luck" into a few more wins.) McMillan used the same philosophy last year because he had three rookies in his rotation (four when Bayless filled in for the injured Blake.) As the season went on, the pace quickened. Now that everyone has adjusted, expect a feverish pace when it can potentially exploit the opposition (like when playing a veteran team who struggles in transition.)

JordansBulls
10-13-2009, 11:59 PM
I never liked this signing. If Miller starts, it takes the ball out of Brandon Roy's hands, which isn't too productive for Portland.

But maybe Roy can play off the ball now.

topdog
10-14-2009, 12:17 AM
Miller will be the finisher while Blakey plays towel waiver.....it will all be water under the bridge when they sail to a NW Division Title!

Uh... Blake probably won't be able to waive his towel since plays can't even stand on the bench anymore.

Don't hang your banner before the season even starts. As I recall, Denver was the division winner last year and Utah is no pushover when healthy.

LA_Raiders
10-14-2009, 12:54 AM
lol, McMillan is losing it.

oldfishermen
10-14-2009, 03:57 PM
Miller is a far better PG than Blake and should start.

Blake is not even the Blazer's best backup PG. Rudy Fernandez can do everything and more that Blake can do and much better. Rudy would start as a combo guard on many teams.

A three guard rotation of Brandon Roy, André Miller and Rudy Fernandez = a very high scoring versatile backcourt that will go much deeper into the playoffs than with Blake.

Coach Nate is trying to show loyalty to Blake. Blake has been a good player that has done a nice job, but he may be the odd man out and only get token minutes.

Miller is a nice upgrade over Blake. He will fit in nicely with the young Blazer team that needs his experience and high floor IQ to move up to the next level.

Wilson
10-14-2009, 04:10 PM
But maybe Roy can play off the ball now.

Maybe, but it just doesn't make sense to take him off the ball to me. He was still growing, and becoming something pretty special. There's also the chemistry he had on the wing.

I just didn't like how the Trail Blazers decided to change all that up after how succesful they were with such young players, who were obviously gong to continue to grow.

b_rad23
10-14-2009, 04:37 PM
He should start. Blake is nowhere near as good of a player. If you're going to bring a player in and not have a role for him, you deserve the *****ing from that disgruntled player.

ko8e24
10-14-2009, 04:41 PM
Miller should start

BkOriginalOne
10-14-2009, 04:54 PM
I know Miller can't shoot - but come on.
Phili would do anything to have him back, seeing as how they had 14 Tos in one quarter yesterday.

magichatnumber9
10-14-2009, 05:19 PM
that sux. Your gonna start white boy over Milller? come on.
Your a racist and added nothing to the argument.

Rhino
10-14-2009, 05:39 PM
Miller needs to learn to shut up and show up let his game speak for his mouth. Most Blazer fans know that Nate is no pushover and demands certain things from his players one of them being fit and ready for training camp and Miller wasn't. As soon as he shows he is ready then Nate will reward him like it or not there are no freebies on this team.

Rhino
10-14-2009, 05:41 PM
Miller might want to watch what he says because its not like he will make or break this team. The Blazers didn't really break the bank to sign him and it really would only be a 2 yr deal so if he becomes more trouble then he is worth I wouldn't be suprised if they dump him. I would much rather see Rudy getting more minutes and develope next to Roy and LA and Oden then deal with a disgruntled one.

smith&wesson
10-14-2009, 06:10 PM
Sorry, I apologize.

you shouldnt apologize, you didnt say or do anything wrong.

its your post you can say what you want so long as your not disrespecting anyone. dont let these guys bully you man, some of them are like 15 year olds.

R cool J
10-14-2009, 06:15 PM
Miller has the right to be upset. He might be new to the team but he's paid his dues in this league. The guy is the prototypical floor general, how do you not start this guy? He will only make this young team better.

Chronz
10-14-2009, 08:36 PM
That is not true. He hurt them in a playoff loss last year when he rushed the ball downcourt in the end of a close game and jacked up a bad three pointer and missed it and they went on to lose.

Did you just take what he said 100% literally, thereby pointing out any single isolated incident to disprove the notion?

Or are you actual aware of his game, and are objecting with his analysis about the player?

If its #1 your a tool

If its #2 your wrong, hes talking in the sense that the amount of mental mistakes he makes is set to a minimum, he doesnt hurt you because he plays reserved hes the kind of player you can get away with playing 30MPG like the Lakers do Fisher (Yes Im comparing Fisher to Blake) but at the same time his lack of strengths make him a clear backup quality player. One that can be an asset in 20MPG, Andre will get the bulk of the minutes because hes the better player, its just best for the team if those minutes come at a time when his services will be most required (Think Kevin McHale for the C's).

I expect Blake to have a drop back season but he should still be a very useful player or trade chip.

TheKing23
10-14-2009, 08:58 PM
I'll be gobsmacked if Andre Miller doesn't start.

The only thing Blake has on him is shooting... Miller is still one of the best floor generals in the league, and has a great passing ability. Blake is a superb back up kind of guy, but not a starter when you got Andre Miller on your roster.

R cool J
10-14-2009, 09:14 PM
Although Blake doesn't really hurt the blazers very much, he doesnt really do a whole lot to help either. I just think if you bench Miller who avg 15pts,7asst,4reb on his career would be a bad move. He's not the Jason Terry type of player who can just come in and shoot, cause lets face it, Miller is not the greatest shooter. But what he can do, which i think Portland could be better for is taking BRoy off the ball, he'll be much fresher at the end of ball games. Andre Miller is the type of PG that can create alot of shots that this Portland team has not had in awhile (dude is the best alleyoop passer in the game). I don't know, i think it's just ******** that Portland signed this guy for 7 mil a year and will utilize him in a reserve role when he is best suited as a starter. Should have not signed him in the first place if Blake was gonna be the starter, could have saved the 7 mil to bank on someone more prolific in next years free agent sweepstakes. Some guys can come off the bench and play 30 mpg, but i don't think Miller is one of them. I guess we'll have to wait till the season starts.

Chronz
10-14-2009, 10:33 PM

The only thing Blake has on him is shooting... Miller is still one of the best floor generals in the league, and has a great passing ability. Blake is a superb back up kind of guy, but not a starter when you got Andre Miller on your roster.
Why not?

Your confusing starting with playing time. Hes too good not to lead the team in MPG at the 1, but he doesnt have to be the starter.

Chronz
10-14-2009, 10:37 PM
Although Blake doesn't really hurt the blazers very much, he doesnt really do a whole lot to help either. I just think if you bench Miller who avg 15pts,7asst,4reb on his career would be a bad move. He's not the Jason Terry type of player who can just come in and shoot, cause lets face it, Miller is not the greatest shooter. But what he can do, which i think Portland could be better for is taking BRoy off the ball, he'll be much fresher at the end of ball games. Andre Miller is the type of PG that can create alot of shots that this Portland team has not had in awhile (dude is the best alleyoop passer in the game). I don't know, i think it's just ******** that Portland signed this guy for 7 mil a year and will utilize him in a reserve role when he is best suited as a starter. Should have not signed him in the first place if Blake was gonna be the starter, could have saved the 7 mil to bank on someone more prolific in next years free agent sweepstakes. Some guys can come off the bench and play 30 mpg, but i don't think Miller is one of them. I guess we'll have to wait till the season starts.

One very flawed reasoning in your post, why does he have to play like Jason Terry because hes coming off the bench?

Roy is at his best in PnR situations, I dont think hes as good of a spot up shooter as you think, I know he can hit on off the ball curls and pin downs, but Blake can actually set those up better for him because he can atleast command the space of his own defender.

Secondly Im pretty sure the Blazers cant save that money, cap space isnt around forever, extensions kick in, and players need to get resigned, its a window they had to utilize.

They got him to strengthen the team at a position of need PERIOD. They didnt sign him to be the starter, they signed him to help the team and if he earns the starting spot so be it, but its not like he has to start to have value.

Hellcrooner
10-14-2009, 10:41 PM
One very flawed reasoning in your post, why does he have to play like Jason Terry because hes coming off the bench?

Roy is at his best in PnR situations, I dont think hes as good of a spot up shooter as you think, I know he can hit on off the ball curls and pin downs, but Blake can actually set those up better for him because he can atleast command the space of his own defender.

Secondly Im pretty sure the Blazers cant save that money, cap space isnt around forever, extensions kick in, and players need to get resigned, its a window they had to utilize.

They got him to strengthen the team at a position of need PERIOD. They didnt sign him to be the starter, they signed him to help the team and if he earns the starting spot so be it, but its not like he has to start to have value.

so what? rudy fernandez is too much better handlign the ball and creating his own shot and driving in stpid mcmillan just uses him as a kapono like 3 point shooter.

Bayless i s gret n transition and mcmillan thinks he can use him on a slw pace.

etc etc.

Mcburguer s just an Awufulo coach STUBBORN like hell.

IRUAM #21
10-14-2009, 10:41 PM
you shouldnt apologize, you didnt say or do anything wrong.

its your post you can say what you want so long as your not disrespecting anyone. dont let these guys bully you man, some of them are like 15 year olds.

lol, he was just joking bro.

Chronz
10-14-2009, 10:52 PM
so what? rudy fernandez is too much better handlign the ball and creating his own shot and driving in stpid mcmillan just uses him as a kapono like 3 point shooter.

Bayless i s gret n transition and mcmillan thinks he can use him on a slw pace.

etc etc.

Mcburguer s just an Awufulo coach STUBBORN like hell.

So what? Im not going to get into this with you, others have already explained it to you and the problem with Rudy is that what you think is best for him ISNT whats best for the team, hes not as good as you think, hes better suited off the ball and slashing on the opening his more talented and better distributing teammates provide, in this role he doesnt have to worry about creating for his teammates, nor do they have to suffer because of his lack of vision. Andre and Rudy will be dynamite together, they compliment eachothers game far more than the combination of Blake and Rudy.

And Bayless isnt the kind of player you change your system for, Roy/LA are better suited for the halfcourt game where Roy can manage and control his teams possessions, but yes they will run more. They need to get easier buckets and not rely so much on the half court game, but it wont be at the breakneck pace that Bayless would require.

R cool J
10-14-2009, 11:31 PM

Only time will tell, he has only been a bench player one year in his 12 year career, and that was his rookie season ( he finished the year starting the last 30 games or so). I'm just saying, I think as a basketball player he is better suited as a starter, as a bench player...we really don't know.

And...just an FYI...for next year assuming they don't have the Andre Miller contract in the books, and they don't resign Travis Outlaw or Stave Blake, even with the max contract they will be giving Roy and extensions to all other players, the Blazers would have a salary cap of about 38-39 mil...and assuming even is the leagues cap will probably drop a little bit...they would have about 15-16 mil in cap space...that's alot of money...They might not be able to keep Outlaw or Blake but they can sure sign a top notch free agent and still have the core or Roy and LaMarcus. That's why i noted that they should have just saved their money

Chronz
10-15-2009, 01:14 AM
Only time will tell, he has only been a bench player one year in his 12 year career, and that was his rookie season ( he finished the year starting the last 30 games or so). I'm just saying, I think as a basketball player he is better suited as a starter, as a bench player...we really don't know.
The difference in his game wont be night and day if thats what your alluding to. And as much as you think Andre is suited as being a starter, Blake is just the same way, more given how reliant he is on the starters. Players typically play better in the starting lineup, it takes a special player to play better off the bench, but in the case of reserve caliber players, they always do better in the starting lineup. Even if Miller experiences some kind of slippage, I doubt itll be as bad as Blakes.

And...just an FYI...for next year assuming they don't have the Andre Miller contract in the books, and they don't resign Travis Outlaw or Stave Blake, even with the max contract they will be giving Roy and extensions to all other players, the Blazers would have a salary cap of about 38-39 mil...and assuming even is the leagues cap will probably drop a little bit...they would have about 15-16 mil in cap space...that's alot of money...They might not be able to keep Outlaw or Blake but they can sure sign a top notch free agent and still have the core or Roy and LaMarcus. That's why i noted that they should have just saved their money

Are you sure, Im estimating around 8-9 Mill in cap but I dont have the exact #'s on LA and Roy's extension.

Wilson
10-15-2009, 07:26 AM

Exactly, which is what the Blazers are looking for in the back-court with Brandon Roy. They don't need a guy to take the ball-handling duties in the starting line-up.

Plus, like Chronz said, having Blake start doesn't necessarily mean he'll take all the minutes at PG. Andre Miller will be able to come in and get the most out of the bench guys, whilst still getting some minutes on the court with Brandon Roy and LaMarcus Aldridge.

mitch91
10-15-2009, 07:58 AM
well he got the starting gig last night as a result of him completely outplaying blake off of the bench

oldfishermen
10-15-2009, 12:28 PM
Suns game results... Miller vs Blake.....
Miller, 25 pts, 6 asst. 5 rebounds
Blake, more turnovers than points

Tblaze
10-15-2009, 12:46 PM
Suns game results... Miller vs Blake.....
Miller, 25 pts, 6 asst. 5 rebounds
Blake, more turnovers than points

Yes, but I'd like to add that Roy had a bad game and Miller took away quite some shots from him...

So I don't know if Miller playing alot will hurt Roy's performance in the future too...

then again, it's preseason, they need to learn to play together cause they've only played a few games together.

NiTEFuRY
10-15-2009, 12:50 PM
Miller, be classy and don't cause a scene. You signed a contract that you wanted. Nobody forced you to do it. Your coach decides whats best for the team - NOT YOU. Learn from AI. Be classy.

blazerman
10-15-2009, 01:46 PM
Adding a good pg like Miller will take Roy a little time to get used to it, but he will. Blake is a FA at season's end so I expect him to be traded along with Outlaw anyway.
Too be honest, I dont like McMillian's constant flip flopping with players where they'll play, he does this every season. McMillian needs to get Bayless some time on the court in real game situations instead of judging his play in summer league with a bunch of half a**ed players. Bayless is said to be the hardest worker in practices and McMilian just sits him in every game, this preseason he should be on the court alot but he's not.

I for one am a little baffled as to why the Blazers would sign a top FA PG and trade fro the rights to another (Bayless) only to settle for a simpleton like Blake who will be a FA anyway. Miller and Roy need to be on the 1st unit because when crutch time comes around you want your best players on the court and Blake is not it. Last yrs playoffs oughta be enough to put Blake in the 2nd unit with his pannicy play.

Blake has his good points but big deal he's a second unit guy any way you slice it on this team and if McMillian cant see that maybe he should be traded along with Blake!