PDA

View Full Version : Will it happen ever again?

Hellcrooner
10-12-2009, 08:52 PM
And by IT i mean two wings or two guards or a guard and a wing with no really dependable big man win a ring.

The only ones to acomplish that are Mj and Pipp in the second threepeat ( in the first they had cartwright).

And then the closest thing before were Thomas and Dumars but hey had TONS of talent in the team in aguirre, rodman and Lambier and mahorn , well they were not stars but they were better than longley.

I woudl say Lebron has found it imposibel to perform the trick because his big, Ilgauskas is under par due to injury, KObe wasnt able to take off first round until they got him a Big, Wade hs done Jack since Shaq was gone.

So what do you think?

Maybe a Rose+Wade in Chi could change that?

lakers4sho
10-12-2009, 09:00 PM
"KObe wasnt able to take off first round until they got him a Big"

yeah because he had trash with him

B.JenningsMVP
10-12-2009, 09:01 PM
I'd love to see Rose+Wade. That'd be SICK!

Hellcrooner
10-12-2009, 09:06 PM
"KObe wasnt able to take off first round until they got him a Big"

yeah because he had trash with him

did i lie?

magichatnumber9
10-12-2009, 09:07 PM
I'd love to see Rose+Wade. That'd be SICK!When I saw your sig, beer instantly came out of my nose. very funny

B.JenningsMVP
10-12-2009, 09:13 PM
When I saw your sig, beer instantly came out of my nose. very funny

okay

Lakersfan2483
10-12-2009, 09:29 PM
And by IT i mean two wings or two guards or a guard and a wing with no really dependable big man win a ring.

The only ones to acomplish that are Mj and Pipp in the second threepeat ( in the first they had cartwright).

And then the closest thing before were Thomas and Dumars but hey had TONS of talent in the team in aguirre, rodman and Lambier and mahorn , well they were not stars but they were better than longley.

I woudl say Lebron has found it imposibel to perform the trick because his big, Ilgauskas is under par due to injury, KObe wasnt able to take off first round until they got him a Big, Wade hs done Jack since Shaq was gone.

So what do you think?

No.

The old Bulls' teams never featured a premiere low post big man, but they had a very strong defensive team and top notch shooters (Paxson, Kerr, Hodges, Kukoc, etc) surrounding Michael Jordan and that's what made them good. Not too mention Pippen was one of the top players in the NBA (top 10) and the fascilitator of the offense and a defensive stalwart. Both Horace Grant and Dennis Rodman were also very good players that fit in to their system. Also, Cartwright and Longley were by no means stars but they were very servicable big men. The Bulls were truly a unique team and it would be hard to emulate their winning forumula because the league and it's players are different nowadays.

SteveNash
10-12-2009, 09:34 PM
The Heat in 2006.

JasonJohnHorn
10-12-2009, 09:38 PM
It could happen, but its important to note that while the Bulls didn't have a "Big", they did have the best rebounder of their generation in Rodman for the second three, and the first three they had Cartwright and Horace Grant. So while they didn't have a center that coudl score, they had lots of scoring at the other positions and not only have the best rebounder in the league, but the best rebounding guard at thte time (Jordan was tops among all gaurds for most of his career- Magic was higher than him a couple seasons, but just a couple) and one of the best rebounding small forwards in Pippen. As for missing a center though, the Celtics won it in '08 (though they did have post scoring with Garnett, but lets face it, Perkins, Powe and Davis do not add up to Shaq) and the Spurs won two titles now without a strong starting center (though the first two they had Robinson). Even the Pistons could make a case for that; Ben Wallace never scored double digits in his career, though he was certainyl a better rebounder at center, and a better defensive presence than anybody the Bulls ever had at that position. So yeah, as long as the rest of the team is balanced and it is a good rebounding team, then yes it could happen.

JordansBulls
10-12-2009, 09:45 PM

So what do you think?

Cartwright didn't even average 10 ppg. And Laimbeer on the Pistons actually led the team in Win Shares.

JordansBulls
10-12-2009, 09:48 PM
The Heat in 2006.

Shaq averaged 20 and 9 for the season and had a 24 PER in the season.

And then he averaged 18 and 10 in the playoffs.

ARMIN12NBA
10-12-2009, 10:14 PM
did i lie?

Context is important. I would more so call it a lie of omission.

Hellcrooner
10-12-2009, 10:21 PM
so armin do we trade pau for a similar value Pg?

Toenail Clipper
10-12-2009, 10:25 PM
Hey Artest has been sucking lately during the preseason games.
Beyond the arc, he sucks so much basketballs!

ARMIN12NBA
10-12-2009, 10:26 PM

Of course not. What's your point?

Hellcrooner
10-12-2009, 10:28 PM
that its very difficult to win withouth a bit.

im almost sure that if we traded pau for a MORE VALUabLE Point Guard like say....C Paul we would have less of a chance to win the ring....and that even having n accnt than we would still have a qualitiy big in Bynum

lakers4sho
10-12-2009, 10:29 PM

I might be going tangent to the point on hand, but my point was just that you can't use Kobe as an example because of a small sample size to work with.

ARMIN12NBA
10-12-2009, 10:35 PM
that its very difficult to win withouth a bit.

im almost sure that if we traded pau for a MORE VALUabLE Point Guard like say....C Paul we would have less of a chance to win the ring....and that even having n accnt than we would still have a qualitiy big in Bynum

Of course it's difficult. It still doesn't change the fact that Kobe, for those 3 seasons, didn't have anybody worthwhile besides him...Not a big. Not a small. Nobody.

Now, if he had a great small beside him and he could not get out of the first round, then the example fits with your thread. Otherwise, it doesn't.

As I said, context is important.

SteveNash
10-12-2009, 10:38 PM
Shaq averaged 20 and 9 for the season and had a 24 PER in the season.

And then he averaged 18 and 10 in the playoffs.

And then he got into a near stalemate with Dampier and Diop not really showing that he was not that dependable.

Lakersfan2483
10-13-2009, 03:18 AM
The Heat in 2006.

Not a good example, the 06 Heat had Shaq on their team and although he wasn't in his prime, he still was a major presence and a major factor in the team advancing all the way to the finals and ultimately winning the title.

abe_froman
10-13-2009, 03:21 AM
yeah i think so.rule changes and with the pg emphasis now and basically becoming the new center.your going to start seeing more of it

HouRealCoach
10-13-2009, 04:44 AM
It wont happen until like 23 more years or so

Statik1
10-13-2009, 04:57 AM
When I saw your sig, beer instantly came out of my nose. very funny

When I saw your sig I blurted out 1 and done... LOL

Ace33Bone
10-13-2009, 10:25 AM
If somehow Kobe and LeBron were to link up later in life then I feel that they can accomplish this task or if Wade and LeBron or Wade and Kobe were to come together then the same task could be accomplished... I will also go out on a limb and say if you replace anyone of the before mentioned duos with Carmelo then they would stand a chance as well

Hellcrooner
10-13-2009, 12:22 PM
lebron shouldnt really enter this equation

6,9 he could play P foward easily.

Chronz
10-13-2009, 05:51 PM
This thread is a slap in the face to Horace Grant.

You dont need post scoring if you have a perimeter player who can score as efficiently as a dominant big, which MJ could do. What you need then is the paint presence on the glass and defensively, Horace was the best post defender of his day.

Frezhnitz
10-13-2009, 06:34 PM
rose and wade = no championship

mikantsass
10-13-2009, 06:59 PM
Its possible but the game is and always has been about having dominant Centers. MJ was the exception because he is the greatest basketball player to ever live. A few years back the Nets and 76ers made it to the finals without a dominant big, and we all know what Shaq did to them.

ManRam
10-13-2009, 07:10 PM
Of course not. What's your point?

It's the whole point of this thread...that unless you're Jordan, you need a great big to win a title.

Lakersfan2483
10-13-2009, 07:17 PM
It's the whole point of this thread...that unless you're Jordan, you need a great big to win a title.

Jordan didn't have a premiere big, but he had a great perimeter player in Pippen and some really strong defensive bigs in Grant and Rodman. Grant was a premiere post defender and Rodman was one of the top post defenders and the best rebounder in basketball. His bigs may not have been big time scorers, but they were efficient in other areas. Not to mention Pippen's major contributions and you have a winning formula.

A lot of people underrate the contributions of Jordan's teammates, his bigs in particular, as if they were just running around with their heads cut off. Grant and Rodman were two of the game's best low post defenders. Cartwright was a very serviceable big man as was Longley, so it wasn't as if Jordan was playing with scrubs during his title runs......