PDA

View Full Version : Over-Rated "Potentials"

fairandbalanced
10-12-2009, 07:22 PM
Who is the most over rated potential......Someone everyone was sold on to become a really good NBA player in the near future but hasn't pan out. Example, Dorell Wright is still growing at age 24; Gerald Green wasn't no McGrady; Greg Oden will be good, not a great Center and Kwame Brown is a bust.

Raps08-09 Champ
10-12-2009, 07:26 PM
Brandan Wright.

b_rad23
10-12-2009, 07:28 PM
Monta Ellis, Rodney Stuckey, Trevor Ariza, Anthony Randolph, Al Thorton, Andrew Bynum, Tyrus Thomas, Wilson Chandler.

NYtilIdie
10-12-2009, 07:28 PM
Rashad Mcants and Gerald Green

I remember when Green got drafted someone said he had all-star talent :laugh:

HouRealCoach
10-12-2009, 07:54 PM
So many.... Marvin Williams, but the biggest ever is Sebastion Telfair

KBfrom8to24
10-12-2009, 07:58 PM
Who is the most over rated potential......Someone everyone was sold on to become a really good NBA player in the near future but hasn't pan out. Example, Dorell Wright is still growing at age 24; Gerald Green wasn't no McGrady; Greg Oden will be good, not a great Center and Kwame Brown is a bust.

Dwayne Wade

montazingmvp
10-12-2009, 08:00 PM
Monta Ellis, Rodney Stuckey, Trevor Ariza, Anthony Randolph, Al Thorton, Andrew Bynum, Tyrus Thomas, Wilson Chandler.

how is monta ellis overrated.

he's already avg'd 20ppg in a season...nobody says he's going to be a superstar...

please explain your reasoning...

PBG
10-12-2009, 08:17 PM
as much as i hate to say it. id go with stuckey also. hes not over rated, but i think his potential might be a wee bit over rated.

droalex
10-12-2009, 08:21 PM
I'll say beasley =o

asandhu23
10-12-2009, 08:22 PM

what the fuaaack? you one crazy person

Gators123
10-12-2009, 08:23 PM
I'll say beasley =o

I think if he smoked a little weed before games it would make him better :clap:

_KB24_
10-12-2009, 08:25 PM
Telfair's name should not be up there. The kid can honestly ball it up. All the off-court drama may have ****ed up his career, but I still think he is a really solid PG and hope he rebounds his career.

PBG
10-12-2009, 08:26 PM
I think if he smoked a little weed before games it would make him better :clap:

with his loot you know hes only smokin " a kush " too. :laugh2:

Raps08-09 Champ
10-12-2009, 08:32 PM
Stephen Marbury.

A lot of people said he could be a top 10 player in the near future during the late 90's-Early 00's.

B.JenningsMVP
10-12-2009, 09:03 PM
Telfair sadly. He had helllllllllllllllla hype around him. I read the book about him and people were saying he was an Isaiah Thomas type player.

Same with Shaun Livingston, but that was because if injuries, but still lol.

MrFastBreak
10-12-2009, 09:12 PM
Stephon Marbury and Kwame Brown.

dee279
10-12-2009, 09:28 PM
Rashad Mcants and Gerald Green

I remember when Green got drafted someone said he had all-star talent :laugh:

he does have all star talent. He has all the talent in the world, but he just cant put it together. That is what Potential is. A player with a lot of talent, but bust come in when that player cant take that talent and turn it into something. Just alot of players seem to waste their talent.

dee279
10-12-2009, 09:31 PM

Monta Proved he can be a really good player already, and Randolph will meet his potential. He might just do better then Micheal Beasley whose potential was said to have no ceiling.

dee279
10-12-2009, 09:34 PM
Stephon Marbury and Kwame Brown.

At first, he lived up to his potential but damn that doode fell off.

b_rad23
10-12-2009, 09:40 PM
Monta Proved he can be a really good player already, and Randolph will meet his potential. He might just do better then Micheal Beasley whose potential was said to have no ceiling.

...and this is why I say they have an overrated potential. People like you.

Bulls_fan90
10-12-2009, 09:47 PM
Adam Morrison.

Ray_R
10-12-2009, 09:58 PM

there the only ones that are still questiable just becuase there lottery picks but tyrus n Bynum r still young

asandhu23
10-12-2009, 10:02 PM

how the hell is monta overrated?

IDB Josh M
10-12-2009, 10:28 PM
Trevor Ariza. solid if not Great role player, but he can't be the focus of the offense.

montazingmvp
10-12-2009, 10:38 PM

he can't argue it so there is obviously no logic behind it

dee279
10-12-2009, 10:45 PM

Well why dont u put MIcheal Beasley up there? He was supposed to be rookie of the year. He wasnt even top 5 in my opinion. Ill make any kind of bet Randolph does better then Beasley. And i officially am putting Beasley on this list since people are saying he will become great, and a superstar and all that. He has potential to be but all i see is complete inconsistency and superstars are not inconsistent and Ellis well he proved he can be a star in this league so bringin him up is idiotic.

jim51990
10-12-2009, 10:47 PM
derrick rose

ChiSox219
10-12-2009, 10:54 PM
derrick rose

:facepalm:

jim51990
10-12-2009, 11:24 PM

actually due to the fact that you got a j cole quote in your sig i take that back i just cant stand how over hyped he is not really overrated

b_rad23
10-12-2009, 11:35 PM

Warrior fans act as if he's the second coming of AI. All he's shown is that he can put up a decent amount of points in a run and gun system inefficiently, without having great passing ability or defense. He'll always be an undersized two without a jump shot.

I keep hearing people talk about him like he's a top young talent (in the Rose-Durant league) and to me he's a decent talent, a 3rd options on most teams that will always be a tweaner.

he can't argue it so there is obviously no logic behind it

I can't??

Well why dont u put MIcheal Beasley up there? He was supposed to be rookie of the year. He wasnt even top 5 in my opinion. Ill make any kind of bet Randolph does better then Beasley. And i officially am putting Beasley on this list since people are saying he will become great, and a superstar and all that. He has potential to be but all i see is complete inconsistency and superstars are not inconsistent and Ellis well he proved he can be a star in this league so bringin him up is idiotic.

Because Beasley is no longer overrated amongst league opinion outside of Heat fans. As for Beasley not being top 5 (he was), Randolph wasn't even top 15. I've heard people say Beasley will bust when he was already a 14 ppg scorer in 24 minutes....what???

Randolph proved nothing his rookie year (not that Beasley proved much either, but he was more consistent than Randolph- which you said future stars aren't)

You'll make any kind of bet that he'll be better based on...oh that's right, nothing. Summer league stats?? Earl Barron was probably your favorite player.

Already answered Ellis.

KH12
10-12-2009, 11:37 PM
Tyrus Thomas :puke:.

rsweene
10-13-2009, 12:18 AM
with his loot you know hes only smokin " a kush " too. :laugh2:

Dont use words you dont know how to use. Who cares if hes smokn the kush no biggie

King_melo
10-13-2009, 12:26 AM
Sebastion Telfair man, DUDE HAD HIS OWN MOVIE!!!!

D Roses Bulls
10-13-2009, 12:31 AM

it has to be greg oden. i know hes only been in the league two years, but he will never be the monster everyone thinks he will be

Oefarmy2005
10-13-2009, 12:32 AM
Monta Ellis is way overrated. He is what he is, but people talk like he's got this ton of potential to unleash. He is good, but he's a borderline star player nothing more nothing less. 20 pts and 5 assts is all he's capable of, period. Ben Gordon X2 anyone???

ChiSox219
10-13-2009, 12:48 AM
Dont use words you dont know how to use. Who cares if hes smokn the kush no biggie

theuuord
10-13-2009, 12:56 AM
From 2007: Brandan Wright, maybe Mike Conley
From 2008: Anthony Randolph
From this year: Rubio (depending on how he develops overseas), or Jordan Hill

-Kobe24-TJ19-
10-13-2009, 03:37 AM
Telfair, Darko, Kwame

montazingmvp
10-13-2009, 04:16 AM
Monta Ellis is way overrated. He is what he is, but people talk like he's got this ton of potential to unleash. He is good, but he's a borderline star player nothing more nothing less. 20 pts and 5 assts is all he's capable of, period. Ben Gordon X2 anyone???

ben gordon x2...lol man you don't know what the hell you are talking about.

monta ellis plays nothing like ben gordon...ben gordon is a chucker...monta takes few shot and scores a lot with efficiency. if there is one comparison you can use it is not ben gordon.

todu82
10-13-2009, 05:15 AM
It's Greg Odn. The guy was supposed to be the next big thing when he entered the league. Now here it is, 2 years after his draft and he's more injury prone than anything else.

JasonJohnHorn
10-13-2009, 05:46 AM
Danny Ferry (signed a huge rookie contract and strapped the Cavs's cap space for ad ecade), Michael Olakawandi, Shawn Bradly, and DARKO!!!!

D-Leethal
10-13-2009, 07:03 AM
Stromile Swift, Darius Miles, Marvin Williams, Ty Thomas

AK-50
10-13-2009, 08:48 AM

are you mad?

K5G
10-13-2009, 08:50 AM
Gerald Green, Tyrus Thomas, Rodney Stuckey

IRUAM #21
10-13-2009, 08:59 AM
Michael Beasley, Heat fans assume he's gonna be better than Bosh, Stoudamire or Boozer. Therefore we don't need to sign any of those guys in 2010.

DP&Youk1520
10-13-2009, 09:23 AM
:facepalm::facepalm::facepalm:

DP&Youk1520
10-13-2009, 09:24 AM

they need to ban the facepalm

Sly Guy
10-13-2009, 10:41 AM
anyone who they compared to MJ in the whole "MJ's retired, now who's gonna sell our shoes?" era of the early 00's.

JayW_1023
10-13-2009, 10:44 AM
Tony Delk...lol he had 51 points once.

Ray_R
10-13-2009, 11:07 AM
they need to ban the facepalm

C-Wick925
10-13-2009, 11:21 AM
Telfair sadly. He had helllllllllllllllla hype around him. I read the book about him and people were saying he was an Isaiah Thomas type player.

Same with Shaun Livingston, but that was because if injuries, but still lol.

man you lakers fans can keep dreaming.. kobe and artest ARE NOT jordan and pippen. just face it bulls have the best duo of all time.

showtym24
10-13-2009, 11:34 AM
man you lakers fans can keep dreaming.. kobe and artest ARE NOT jordan and pippen. just face it bulls have the best duo of all time.

Kobe-shaq

Run&Gun
10-13-2009, 12:10 PM
Warrior fans act as if he's the second coming of AI. All he's shown is that he can put up a decent amount of points in a run and gun system inefficiently, without having great passing ability or defense. He'll always be an undersized two without a jump shot.

I keep hearing people talk about him like he's a top young talent (in the Rose-Durant league) and to me he's a decent talent, a 3rd options on most teams that will always be a tweaner.

I can't??

Because Beasley is no longer overrated amongst league opinion outside of Heat fans. As for Beasley not being top 5 (he was), Randolph wasn't even top 15. I've heard people say Beasley will bust when he was already a 14 ppg scorer in 24 minutes....what???

Randolph proved nothing his rookie year (not that Beasley proved much either, but he was more consistent than Randolph- which you said future stars aren't)

You'll make any kind of bet that he'll be better based on...oh that's right, nothing. Summer league stats?? Earl Barron was probably your favorite player.

Already answered Ellis.

Damn you must have been talking to some crazy *** warrior fans, cuz. I never thought that Monta would be AI, I wouldn't dare to say that he has the potential to hit Tony Parker status with less man on man defense but better stealing. His midrange game is crazy, probably at least top 10 in the league if not better, but yeah he doesn't play great defense and I wouldn't consider him a great PG with passing ability but he's shown improvement. As far as Randolph goes, he can be a little overhyped but at the same time he's super talented, and his crazy athleticism and unique skill set do make him something special, will he be able to play PF against the top players around the league yet no, but will he be able to make lots of highlight reels yes.

DP&Youk1520
10-13-2009, 12:32 PM
:facepalm: :pity:

Hawkeye15
10-13-2009, 12:35 PM
Telfair's name should not be up there. The kid can honestly ball it up. All the off-court drama may have ****ed up his career, but I still think he is a really solid PG and hope he rebounds his career.

Telfair sucks dude. I have watched him play 150 times in the last 2 years.

MaximumYP
10-13-2009, 12:37 PM
Andrew Bynum for me.

theuuord
10-13-2009, 02:33 PM
Kobe-shaq

Jordan-Pippen > Kobe-Shaq

Although they're probably the top 2 (Magic-Kareem?).

SunsBolts7
10-13-2009, 03:24 PM
Tony Delk...lol he had 51 points once.

:laugh2:

Nocioni5
10-13-2009, 03:50 PM
:facepalm: :pity:
:facepalm::D:facepalm:

IDB Josh M
10-13-2009, 04:49 PM
Andrew Bynum is not overrated potential. Injured potential yes. When he was drafted, people said "what the lakers are thinking about." He had to fly in under the radar for people to even start talking about him. (remember the half season before he injured his knee the first time, and before the Pau Gasol steal?) Or maybe you can, whatever.
Andrew Bogut is overrated potential. That guy was number 1 overall the year Bynum was drafted! He hasn't been doing anything. And then there is Greg Oden. People were alot bigger on Odies than they are on Bynum.

Yes, I'm a homer. But you gotto agree ... Bogut who?

Oh yeah ...

:facepalm::facepalm::facepalm::facepalm::facepalm: :facepalm::facepalm::facepalm::facepalm::facepalm: :facepalm::facepalm::facepalm::facepalm::facepalm:

MackSnackWrap
10-13-2009, 05:21 PM
Gerald Green

b_rad23
10-13-2009, 06:06 PM
Damn you must have been talking to some crazy *** warrior fans, cuz. I never thought that Monta would be AI, I wouldn't dare to say that he has the potential to hit Tony Parker status with less man on man defense but better stealing. His midrange game is crazy, probably at least top 10 in the league if not better, but yeah he doesn't play great defense and I wouldn't consider him a great PG with passing ability but he's shown improvement. As far as Randolph goes, he can be a little overhyped but at the same time he's super talented, and his crazy athleticism and unique skill set do make him something special, will he be able to play PF against the top players around the league yet no, but will he be able to make lots of highlight reels yes.

I'd agree with pretty much all of this.

Decent comparison. Ben Gordon is better from outside and Monta is better pretty much everywhere else, but both undersized 2s with 20 ppg scoring ability and little to no defense.

From 2007: Brandan Wright, maybe Mike Conley
From 2008: Anthony Randolph
From this year: Rubio (depending on how he develops overseas), or Jordan Hill

I can pretty much agree with all of this.

ben gordon x2...lol man you don't know what the hell you are talking about.

monta ellis plays nothing like ben gordon...ben gordon is a chucker...monta takes few shot and scores a lot with efficiency. if there is one comparison you can use it is not ben gordon.

Stylistically they're not too similar, but in the whole undersized good-not amazing scorer poor defense mold, they are comparable.

are you mad?

?Because I think AR is overrated? Yeah I'm pissed!

Michael Beasley, Heat fans assume he's gonna be better than Bosh, Stoudamire or Boozer. Therefore we don't need to sign any of those guys in 2010.

He already is as good as Boozer and 5 years younger...I can't see how he can be considered overrated because of the fact that some people call him a bust already.

asandhu23
10-13-2009, 06:37 PM
Jordan-Pippen > Kobe-Shaq

Although they're probably the top 2 (Magic-Kareem?).

Wilt and Jerry West or Wilt and Elgin Baylor

what54!?
10-13-2009, 06:38 PM
mike conley. Some people thought he was gonna be the next Cp3

_KB24_
10-13-2009, 07:47 PM
Telfair sucks dude. I have watched him play 150 times in the last 2 years.

I was fortunate enough to see the guy practice back in 04 or 05. This was before he was drafted. The kid had mad skill and potential. He was a hard worker as well. I can't comment on his recent play and you probably have a right to say as you have seen him play quite a lot, but he's one of the handful amount of guys that I actually hope will succeed in the NBA. I'm hoping that he has a new start in LA and can hopefully turn it around.

PBG
10-13-2009, 09:16 PM

:rolleyes: what do you mean? there was a thread about lamar odom smoking "a kush", i was kind of referring to that as a joke.....

JayW_1023
10-14-2009, 07:15 AM
If Gerald Green has the work ethic of a Kobe...he would become a star...that's the sad part.

rabzouz 96
10-14-2009, 07:26 AM
danillo gallinari,yi