PDA

View Full Version : Sonicsgate

Jepetto1872
10-11-2009, 10:19 PM
Hey guys-

I am a lifelong sonics fan. I dont know if you are aware, but there is a new movie out about the whole situation of the team leaving for OKC. It will be able to be watched for free after midnight tonight at sonicsgate.org. I have already seen the movie and I believe it is a must watch for any basketball fan. I am not posting this because I am bitter still, I just thought some people might be interested in seeing it.

ManRam
10-11-2009, 10:27 PM
Good heads up. Looks interesting.

Spurred1
10-11-2009, 10:31 PM
An NBA history lesson. But I have to say that the Thunder look incredibly promising..

dtmagnet
10-11-2009, 11:07 PM
An NBA history lesson. But I have to say that the Thunder look incredibly promising..

I agree, if they all stay together in OKC they will be good.

ChiSox219
10-12-2009, 01:08 AM
this working for anyone?

Jepetto1872
10-12-2009, 01:57 AM
Sorry I should have clarified. Midnight pacific time. You can watch any time tomorrow though from my understanding

Becks2307
10-12-2009, 04:48 AM
I just thought of that OKC team if they were still the Sonics, it would be awesome to see Westbrook and Harden in that Sonic green...

abe_froman
10-12-2009, 05:00 AM
just saw part 1 and its pretty good

Trouble87
10-12-2009, 07:54 AM
not a Sonics fan but I will watch

magichatnumber9
10-12-2009, 08:02 AM
If I was a sonics fan I would be bitter till my very end. Or maybe until the City gets a new team.

ChiSox219
10-12-2009, 08:13 AM
Good film, certainly will not be rooting for OKC from now on despite my love for Thabo.

Props to Paul Allen and Mark Cuban, the only 2 who voted against the relocation.

**** Clay Bennett and his father in law's money

Jepetto1872
10-12-2009, 11:39 AM
Oh believe me, I am very bitter and will be till the end. I was just saying, thats not my reason for posting this. I just think it is worth watching for any basketball fan. However, I wont have the void filled till we get a new team here. I don't want to have to steal someone elses team, unless its Memphis since they were stolen from Vancouver in the first place(I grew up in a Washington city about 30 minutes from canada) haha.

ChiSox219
10-12-2009, 12:26 PM
Jake One on the soundtrack was also fantastic

If Seattle wasn't gray everyday it'd be a cool place to live. I do hope you guys get a franchise again because you deserve more than any other city.

abe_froman
10-12-2009, 03:03 PM
If I was a sonics fan I would be bitter till my very end. Or maybe until the City gets a new team.

no,i still would be.because they dont get the rights to the history....and just how everything went down would leave a sour taste

ChiSox219
10-12-2009, 03:14 PM
I gotta say this whole movie made me consider whether public funding for stadiums is logical.

I am taxed for the city to build a facility that houses a billionaire owner and millionaire players. Then, to get into said facility, I have to pay $50-100 for a ticket, $6 for water and $8 for beer. The food is just as expensive but is the cheapest s#$^, ever had the nachos at the UC?

I guess it creates jobs, from ushers to concessions to cleanup crew, but really none of those are desirable or high income jobs.

Jepetto1872
10-12-2009, 04:17 PM
Yeah. The whole public funding thing they brought up does make you think a lot. Also I cant help but wonder what would have happened if the team was forced to play out the lease in Seattle for 2 more seasons. Especially since one of the main members of the bennett group lost 90% of his worth

ZebraCity916
10-12-2009, 04:42 PM
That was really good. Thanks for telling us.

It was a bummer when Seattle moved but it wasn't that big of a deal to me until now. I'm a Kings fan and we're in trouble with getting a new arena and it's got me and every other Kings fan worried. To see what it's like to have your favorite team taken away from you is heartbreaking and I hope that it doesn't happen to us in Sacramento.

What seems like something that won't ever happen is now becoming reality. If a team like the Supersonics with over 40 years of history can be moved to another city, then what stops the Kings that has not even 25 year of history from being moved??

SteveNash
10-12-2009, 08:16 PM
Pretty well made. Though I couldn't stand the narrator.

I wish more people would have payed attention to the whole Seattle situation. It doesn't matter if the Sonics weren't your team, it should make everyone aware that the NBA is willing and able to steal your team away from you.

Punkindrublic03
10-12-2009, 08:44 PM
Rip seattle supersonics

1967-2008

clay bennett must die. Howard schultz must die. David stern must die.

Jepetto1872
10-12-2009, 09:32 PM
Yeah. Im glad so many people are watching this. Its suprising me. Haha. I know its kinda long at 2 hours, but it is a must see I think

Sonicsgate
10-13-2009, 03:34 AM
Thanks for the support. It is amazing how many people are watching this film over 8,600 views in less then 24 hours.

What happened in Seattle was amazing and hard to explain it was important to us as Fans to tell our story to get our side of history.

thanks for watching. please tell your friends.

www.sonicsgate.org

dimedrpr
10-13-2009, 06:11 AM
That was a good film. As a sports fan in general I always felt bad for the true Sonics fans even as I hoped for a team to come here to OKC. I felt like it was wrong to take such a proud franchise away from their city. I hate to see teams get ripped out of cities and you do feel like the NBA is almost holding it's cities hostage with the constant threat of relocation to get new arenas.

I know that there was a lot of backlash from Sonics fans towards OKC but we as a fan base and a people are not representative of Clay Bennett and didn't care for the way it went down. Sure we are happy to have a team but everyone here new when Clay and Aubrey bought the Sonics they were going to move them here. We thought it was embarrasing to watch him sit there and say that they were going to try to keep the team there.

I remember watching the Browns being moved to Baltimore and how much hatred the city of Cleveland and the nation had for Art Modell at the time. I can understand the anger and contempt that Sonics fans must have for Clay and his group. We in OKC thought that we were going to get the Hornets after they spent a couple years here following Katrina. We felt okay about that because the Hornets had always lacked support by the city and fans of New Orleans even before Katrina and we couldn't imagine that they could support the team after. I blame David Stern for moving the Sonics as much as anyone because Clay and his group just wanted a team and Stern is the one who pointed him in the direction of Seattle. Certainly Clay had to be sleezy enough to jump through all of Stern's hoops to get his team but the commish is quite the ring leader.

Alas, what the film makes me realize more than anything is that with the wrong people in power and a few losing seasons, the OKC Thunder could be taken away from us some day just like the Sonics were taken from Seattle. So for now all we can do as basketball fans in OKC is support the team and hope for the best. Some things are out of our control but filling the arena isn't one of them.

Jepetto1872
10-13-2009, 10:36 PM
Thanks for responding as a OKC fan. I was interested in hearing what they thought about this.