PDA

View Full Version : What "RolePlayer" is most valuable to his team?

Chronz
10-11-2009, 02:05 AM
I hate using the term Role Player to distinguish players because every player in the league has a role to fill, but I understand the general definition, as guys who are not their teams star.

My question is, among those role players, which do you think must be around to fill the role for his squad, in order to make the playoffs or win at its highest level.

To me one guy comes to mind rather easily, Brendan Haywood. Their most valuable defender, and on an offensive team like the Wiz, his presence gos beyond simple boxscores. He got injured tonight and prompted me to make this thread.

As good as the Wiz are, I dont think they can make the playoffs without him. The team fell apart last year, and it wasnt just because they didnt have Arenas.

DerekRE_3
10-11-2009, 02:29 AM
For big guys, Joel Przbilla comes to mind, as does Kendrick Perkins. Shane Battier obviously comes to mind as well. He's just such a cerebral player on both ends of the floor and is one of the best perimeter defenders in the game. And speaking of players on the Rockets, there's also Chuck Hayes. Despite his size he an excellent post defender and good rebounder.

Lakersfan2483
10-11-2009, 04:14 AM
I hate using the term Role Player to distinguish players because every player in the league has a role to fill, but I understand the general definition, as guys who are not their teams star.

My question is, among those role players, which do you think must be around to fill the role for his squad, in order to make the playoffs or win at its highest level.

To me one guy comes to mind rather easily, Brendan Haywood. Their most valuable defender, and on an offensive team like the Wiz, his presence gos beyond simple boxscores. He got injured tonight and prompted me to make this thread.

As good as the Wiz are, I dont think they can make the playoffs without him. The team fell apart last year, and it wasnt just because they didnt have Arenas.

Haywood is an excellent example of a key role player. Some other guys that come to mind are: Lamar Odom, Shane Battier, Rajon Rondo, Luis Scola and Udonis Haslem. All of those guys are crucial to their team's success and are huge difference makers during the regular season and postseason. The value of each of those players goes beyond just stats, they are key contributors to their respective teams.

SirCarlton
10-11-2009, 04:32 AM
yo derek...post a shaun hill sig when he throws for 300 yards in a game...might aswell call him tyrod taylor for the time being

nearyG
10-11-2009, 05:05 AM
boston: rajon rondo
denver: chris anderson
utah: paul millsap
la lakers: lamar odom

black1605
10-11-2009, 08:54 AM
rondo is a roll player?

MackSnackWrap
10-11-2009, 09:19 AM
Paul Milsap to Utah

Jamiecballer
10-11-2009, 10:45 AM
rondo is a roll player?

yeah, i'm with you on that. i don't consider Rondo or Odom really to be role players.... Millsap either.

i think more of guys like Kapono when you talk role players...if he's not shooting the ball he should be stapled to the bench.

Reggie Evans
Eddie House
Chris Anderson

MrFastBreak
10-11-2009, 12:22 PM
If you talkin role players, Im thinkin guys like:
Grant Hill
Bruce Bowen
Robert Horry
Udonis Haslem
Raja Bell
Jason Kapono
Shane Battier
P.J. Brown
Derek Fisher
James Posey
Kendrick Perkins

Mavrix
10-11-2009, 01:50 PM
I'd say Josh Howard. When he plays good or is healthy, Dallas wins.

SA5195
10-11-2009, 02:06 PM
Battier.

arlubas
10-11-2009, 02:29 PM
I'd say Josh Howard. When he plays good or is healthy, Dallas wins.
Yeah except he's the second best player on the Mavs' roster so the word role player doesn't exactly apply to him.

A good example of the kind of guys we're talking about is Tyrus Thomas. The guy can be a beast when he is on but his inconsistency can't warrant him the role of a big peace of any team. Same can be said about Boris Diaw as well.

Hellcrooner
10-11-2009, 02:32 PM
dereck fisher,

do you think its a conicndence lakers were an 8th seed type team until he came back , even befor pau was in l.a they had gone back to be contending for a high seed.

asandhu23
10-11-2009, 02:49 PM
Anthony Morrow to Golden State Warriors. the man can shoot

mrblisterdundee
10-11-2009, 03:11 PM
At this point, I think Brandon Bass is going to be the biggest role player. Dwight was literally the only tough post presence before Bass came along. I like the idea of moving Lewis back to small forward, letting him tear it up and starting Bass at power forward.

Sports Illustrator
10-11-2009, 03:31 PM
If you talkin role players, Im thinkin guys like:
Grant Hill
Bruce Bowen
Robert Horry
Udonis Haslem
Raja Bell
Jason Kapono
Shane Battier
P.J. Brown
Derek Fisher
James Posey
Kendrick Perkins

Those are all excellent examples of role players in the last 10 years of basketball. Each one of them know their roles and they are much needed for the success of their team.

It hasn't been determined what type of player he will become in the NBA. It's too early to tell. Right now he can be defined as a prospect or a project.

jetsfan28
10-11-2009, 03:51 PM
The ones that immediately came to my mind were Battier (no other team that I could think of runs their defense through a role player swing man like they do now that Bowen's done), Blake and Hinrich (for similar reasons, good defenders, help spread the floor, and distribute the ball to their young teams' many scorers), and Birdman (can fill in at either big man spot, which is something Denver badly needs, and helps give that team the energy they thrive off of).

ManRam
10-11-2009, 04:04 PM
For big guys, Joel Przbilla comes to mind, as does Kendrick Perkins. Shane Battier obviously comes to mind as well. He's just such a cerebral player on both ends of the floor and is one of the best perimeter defenders in the game. And speaking of players on the Rockets, there's also Chuck Hayes. Despite his size he an excellent post defender and good rebounder.

Perkins is a good choice. He was really, really important for the C's in the playoffs, and a huge reason the series went all 7 games long. His play on Dwight was amazing. He and Battier are my two first choices here...

Toenail Clipper
10-11-2009, 06:34 PM

I'm starting to like him too!

Kakaroach
10-11-2009, 06:40 PM
I'd go with Shane Battier and Tayshaun Prince.

Raph12
10-11-2009, 07:36 PM
Lakers: Odom and Ariza (2009 playoffs)
Magic: Pietrus (2009 playoffs)
Spurs: Mason/Finley
Cavs: West
Celts: Perkins

Wilson
10-11-2009, 09:13 PM
dereck fisher,

do you think its a conicndence lakers were an 8th seed type team until he came back , even befor pau was in l.a they had gone back to be contending for a high seed.

A lot of that had to do with Andrew Bynum emerging as a second option, which allowed Lamar Odom to be a third.

But yeah, Derek Fisher is huge for the Lakers. His leadership and calmness in clutch situations is really invaluable to the Lakers.

LA_Raiders
10-11-2009, 09:16 PM
Odom

Mavrix
10-11-2009, 09:21 PM
Yeah except he's the second best player on the Mavs' roster so the word role player doesn't exactly apply to him.

A good example of the kind of guys we're talking about is Tyrus Thomas. The guy can be a beast when he is on but his inconsistency can't warrant him the role of a big peace of any team. Same can be said about Boris Diaw as well.I have J. Kidd and Terry ahead of him. If Marion can spring back to old form he's even ahead of Howard.

Mavrix
10-11-2009, 09:22 PM
Brandon Bass
James Posey
Drew Gooden
Delonte West

Ace33Bone
10-12-2009, 09:24 AM
Mike Miller
DeLonte West
Roger Mason
Anotonio McDyess