PDA

View Full Version : Mark Cuban: Current Mavs better than '06 Finals squad - Agree/Disagree

JordansBulls
10-08-2009, 07:19 PM
Source: Yahoosports (http://sports.yahoo.com/nba/blog/ball_dont_lie/post/Cuban-Current-Mavs-better-than-06-Finals-squad;_ylt=AvekMy1.aHsF3yGECDe7CyO8vLYF?urn=nba,19 4858)

"The feeling and the buzz in our locker room is off the charts, literally the best it's been in a good five years," Cuban told Richie Whitt and Newy Scruggs on 105.3 The Fan in Dallas Tuesday morning. (Note: Mavericks talk starts about a quarter of the way in.)

"Every guy here that was a part of that Finals run thinks we have a much better team. It's not even close. If you compare rosters we're a far better team than that Finals team. We're deeper. More athletic. Defensively and offensively we have more flexibility. This year it's like 'Oh my goodness.' Guys are fired up. It's a whole different feeling. I'm excited."

He wasn't kidding.

"Trust me, Mavs fans," Cuban warns at the end of the interview. "If we stay healthy, this is a good, good, team. I never make predictions. But our top 12 guys are off-the-charts compared to where we've been in the past."

MackSnackWrap
10-08-2009, 07:42 PM
I disagre 06 team was better

Ray_R
10-08-2009, 07:52 PM
MarkCuban can kiss My :moon: who knew one man can talk so much nonsense

lakers4sho
10-08-2009, 08:04 PM
0-2 for Cubes so far :shrug:

Raph12
10-08-2009, 08:09 PM
Source: Yahoosports (http://sports.yahoo.com/nba/blog/ball_dont_lie/post/Cuban-Current-Mavs-better-than-06-Finals-squad;_ylt=AvekMy1.aHsF3yGECDe7CyO8vLYF?urn=nba,19 4858)

Maybe they're better then the '06 Mavs, but so are the Lakers, Spurs, Magic, Cavs and Celts, so that's not saying much.

Mavrix
10-09-2009, 12:46 AM
Much more talented. I'm excited.

ko8e24
10-09-2009, 12:59 AM
2006 team had exciting young guys in Devin Harris and Marquis Daniels. 2010 team has 2 veterans who've been thru the wars in the playoffs in Jason Kidd (Suns, Nets, and back with Mavs for 2nd Stint) and Shawn Marion (Suns). So even though they don't have the youth, they have the experience, basketball IQ, and balanced offensive team (with j-kidd running the show for even distribution) and better defensively with shawn marion (though a step slower, pretty decent defensively).

Avery Johnson was not respected by everyone on that 06 Mavs team because he hadn't fully earned it, became head coach midseason 05-06. Rick Carlise already has a solid 1 full yr under his belt as Mavs head, leading them to 2nd round, and a 1st rd victory convincingly over injured Spurs squad.

With a more experienced trio of Dirk, Howard and Terry, 2010 Mavs > 2006 Mavs.

I feel Lakers vs Mavs in 2010 WCF, Lakers in 6 or 7 :)

Rocco007
10-09-2009, 01:12 AM
So what...you lose...again...

rockets2
10-09-2009, 01:20 AM
no. they had jamison and productive stackhouse.

GoatMilk
10-09-2009, 01:30 AM
no. they had jamison and productive stackhouse.

they traded Jamison for Stackhouse 2 years before that

and even if they are better, the 09 Lakers are better than the 09 Mavs so who cares

ManRam
10-09-2009, 01:39 AM
I actually agree...

But no way do they even sniff the Finals this year. 2006 was their chance...and they choked.

Lakersfan2483
10-09-2009, 01:52 AM
The 06 Mavs were better than this current team.

kyubi256
10-09-2009, 02:10 AM
I think this team is definitely better than the 2006 Mavs team... but the Lakers are a lot better than both IMO

Lone Maverick
10-09-2009, 04:01 AM
I think if this 2010 team was the Dallas squad in 2006 then they'd win it all but with all the elite teams being a helluva lot better Dallas certainly isn't a favorite. Still though anything can happen. Regardless as a Mavs fan I'm certainly excited.

robdizzle3
10-09-2009, 04:23 AM
The Mavs can get to the WCF Finals, because other then the Lakers and maybe the Blazers, there arent many elite teams and even the Blazers are questionable. They wont get to the NBA Finals, because Los Angelas will be too strong for any team this year.

PHX2daDEATH
10-09-2009, 05:21 AM
NOPE they'll get bounced in the first round.. Shawn Marion is an over-rated pick up.. he was a guy who was good because he was athletic.. Well his athelicism is starting to wear off with his age, he was never really good in the playoffs either with the Suns.. he took bad shots.. I mean really bad shots..

PennyMy#1
10-09-2009, 05:42 AM
Agree. And, wow I really made a difference it's 12 to 11 now ... ;)

Kidd>>>K-Mart
10-09-2009, 06:31 AM
The team now has a terrible bench so I would have to take the 06 team to be better.

GREATNESS ONE
10-09-2009, 06:32 AM
I would say the 2006 team is better but this team will get out of the 1st round depending if they dont play LA or SA

azkarraga
10-09-2009, 06:36 AM
neither agree nor disagree. i just dont care

-Kobe24-TJ19-
10-09-2009, 06:54 AM
neither agree nor disagree. i just dont care

LOL, me too

Lakers>>>>>Mavs

Reddd
10-09-2009, 07:48 AM
I actually agree...

But no way do they even sniff the Finals this year. 2006 was their chance...and they choked.

this

#1Mavericksfan
10-09-2009, 08:33 AM
I would say the 2006 team is better but this team will get out of the 1st round depending if they dont play LA or SA

:facepalm:...how many times do the Mavs have to beat the Spurs in the playoffs to prove they can beat them?...the Mavs beat the Spurs with Manu and without him and who was the last team to win a game 7 on the Spurs home court?...if anything the Spurs don't want to see Dallas in the palyoffs because the Spurs already know what's gonna happen...there going home.

As for Cuban saying this team in better that the 06 Mavs is just crazy talk, that Mavs team was unreal and playing at a high level and Dirk was just playing out of his mind, I want to see what this new Mavs team has before I even compare them to the great Mavs team that went to the Finals.

JordansBulls
10-09-2009, 12:58 PM
To be truthfull, I'm not sure how that team in 2006 got to the finals with Dampier at Center and Griffin at SG.

JasonJohnHorn
10-09-2009, 01:08 PM
I don't think it matters if this seasons Mavs team is better than the '06 team, because the rest of the league is also better. This year's Lakers are better than the '06 Lakers, this year's Spurs are better than the '06 Spurs, this year's Nuggets are better than the '06 Nuggets, the '09 Hornets are better than the '06 Hornets, and the '09; Cavs and Celtics are both better than anything the '06 East had to offer. So if the '09 Mavs were playing the '06 Mavs in the playoffs, I suppose the '09 Mavs could beat them, but that doesn't matter because the '09 Mavs won't be playing the '06 Mavs, they'll be playing the '09; Lakers, Spurs, Hornets, Nuggets, Celtics and Cavs. So the question should be; are the '09 Mavs the best team in the league, and the answer to that is no. Everything else is academic.

Mavrix
10-09-2009, 04:10 PM
To be truthfull, I'm not sure how that team in 2006 got to the finals with Dampier at Center and Griffin at SG.

Griffin just started off the game for defensive purposes. It was Stackhouse who took the bulk of the minutes at the SG spot

The main line up was

PG: Terry
SG: Stackhouse
SF: Howard
PF: Nowitzki
C: Diop/Dampier

This years Mavs have

PG: Kidd
SG: Howard/Terry
SF: Marion
PF: Nowitzki
C: Gooden/Dampier

A much more talented squad with veteran leadership.

A much improved JJ Barea will act as the Devin Harris piece we had in 06 behind Kidd.

All this being said, I still believe Dallas will improve it's roster around trade deadline time moving Dampiers big expiring contract for a better center.

BlondeBomber41
10-09-2009, 04:53 PM
the team is more talented, but more talented doesnt always mean better. We'll see.

Regardless the rest of the league has gotten so much better, its gonna be hard to compete regardless.

IversonIsKrazy
10-09-2009, 06:59 PM
2010 Mavs are a bit better than 06 Mavs, but The 10 Lakers, Celtics, Magic, Cavs, Spurs are better than the '10 Mavs so too bad.

Raps18-19 Champ
10-09-2009, 07:02 PM
On paper, yes.

Mavrix
10-09-2009, 07:24 PM
The team now has a terrible bench so I would have to take the 06 team to be better.

Having the best 6th man in the league in Jason Terry coming off the bench along with Erick Dampier, JJ Barea, and Tim Thomas...I would not call that any where close to a horrible bench. Plus you have other players that can get quality minutes in Humphries, Singleton, Carrol, and rookie Beaubois.

aWiLL 20
10-09-2009, 07:26 PM
talent wise, yes.
does that win games? not always.
btw, for those who say that it doesn't matter because other teams are better...I'm sure you said that about every team to win the championship the last 5 years. It's impossible to know what goes down in the season.

Summarized: Answer the question, don't compare them to your team, because it's human nature to want your team to win.

Basel
11-01-2009, 05:30 PM
I looked at how they beat the Lakers and the question arises. Can they eventually reach the Finals? It seems like they are 8 man deep. And Josh Howard is not even in rotation right now. So having him back will put the Mavericks in the 1st tier out West (Spurs, Lakers being the other two). Marion seems to be in great shape and is playing like he used to. I also think Dirk Nowitzki will have an MVP type of season this year because he knows his window with this roster is closing.

How high are your expectations from the Mavericks this season?

ZebraCity916
11-01-2009, 05:35 PM
I think they're top 3 team in the West and will more than likely get around 60 wins.

Basel
11-01-2009, 05:36 PM
I think they're top 3 team in the West and will more than likely get around 60 wins.

I feel the same way too. I actually think they will have a better record than the Spurs if Dallas' main pieces stays healthy all season long.

nipo10847
11-01-2009, 05:49 PM
ya, they look scary man. Marion made them really balanced. Good starting line up and any bench that has Terry, Howard, and Godden is simply awesome. idk about the playoffs but they will certainly have one of the best records in reg season.

Basel
11-01-2009, 05:52 PM
ya, they look scary man. Marion made them really balanced. Good starting line up and any bench that has Terry, Howard, and Godden is simply awesome. idk about the playoffs but they will certainly have one of the best records in reg season.

Exactly how I feel. And when they played the Lakers, it seems like the team has a new understanding and has grasped the idea of playing defense.

I like Gooden's addition because he brings a lot of toughness for their frontcourt. Quinton Ross, Barrea and Humprhies are no slouch either. Matt CArroll's addition brings them another perimeter player. I like this team.

_KB24_
11-01-2009, 05:54 PM
They are a real solid team. They are definitely a Top tier team. They are better than Portland but I would still give the nod to Denver, SA, and LA over them.

1. Lakers
2. Denver
3. Spurs
4.Mavs

I really see Pops resting the BIG 3 and I really don't think he really cares about seeding. Mavs can go all the way to 2nd and can drop all the way to 5th. I feel Denver is going to have a great season and they are a better basketball team than the MAVS IMO. I still feel the Spurs are the biggest threat to the Lakers in the Finals.

Basel
11-01-2009, 05:57 PM
They are a real solid team. They are definitely a Top tier team. They are better than Portland but I would still give the nod to Denver, SA, and LA over them.

1. Lakers
2. Denver
3. Spurs
4.Mavs

I really see Pops resting the BIG 3 and I really don't think he really cares about seeding. Mavs can go all the way to 2nd and can drop all the way to 5th. I feel Denver is going to have a great season and they are a better basketball team than the MAVS IMO. I still feel the Spurs are the biggest threat to the Lakers in the Finals.

Yeah, Mavs and Denver are about even right now. The only thing I dont like about Denver is their tendency to implode because of players like JR Smith & Kenyon Martin. But I look at them right now, and it seems like they have a renewed sense of understanding of team beasketball. We'll see how it goes.

broncofangene
11-01-2009, 06:08 PM

Are you being serious? So you think there will be 3 60 win teams. Marion and Kidd are washed up oldies, Dirk isn't what he used to be also has off court issues. Howard's good but Dampier and Gooden are statues. Trading Devin Harris was really dumb.

Teams that are better than the mavs in the west

1) Lakers
2)Spurs
3)Nuggets
4)Hornets
5)Blazers
6)Jazz
7)Rockets/Suns? Possibly

The way I see it the mavs will be battling for 7 or 8 in the west.

aWiLL 20
11-01-2009, 06:09 PM
good to see ppl notice the kind of talent we have here in dallas now :) should be a good season, have a lot of potential.

tr4shb0t
11-01-2009, 06:13 PM
they lack offensive depth. they seem to have stepped up their defense which is good if they plan on making the playoffs. I can see them finishing 5 or 6 in the west.

Mavrix
11-01-2009, 06:14 PM
All off season no one knew how the Mavs would turn out with question marks surrounding Marion, Gooden, the age of Kidd, Howards health, and how everything would fit. Most people saw them behind Denver AND Portland. I on the other hand saw them as potentially being a 2nd or 3rd seed behind the Lakers if everyone stayed healthy. This new Mavs team is probably the best defensive Mavs team of the decade and if the team is healthy towards the end of the season I wouldn't be surprised if they pull some upsets in the playoffs playing against either the Lakers or Spurs.

Sevilla91
11-01-2009, 06:14 PM
Are you being serious? So you think there will be 3 60 win teams. Marion and Kidd are washed up oldies, Dirk isn't what he used to be also has off court issues. Howard's good but Dampier and Gooden are statues. Trading Devin Harris was really dumb.

1) Lakers
2)Spurs
3)Nuggets
4)Hornets
5)Blazers
6)Jazz
7)Rockets/Suns? Possibly

wow, your a dumbass if you really believe that.

Basel
11-01-2009, 06:15 PM
they lack offensive depth. they seem to have stepped up their defense which is good if they plan on making the playoffs. I can see them finishing 5 or 6 in the west.

Hey man, if there's anything Dallas lacks. It surely isn't OFFENSE.

bahama0811
11-01-2009, 06:17 PM
Yeah, Mavs and Denver are about even right now. The only thing I dont like about Denver is their tendency to implode because of players like JR Smith & Kenyon Martin. But I look at them right now, and it seems like they have a renewed sense of understanding of team beasketball. We'll see how it goes.

The Nuggets haven't imploded since the addition of Chauncey and I don't see it happening this year. The Mavs look good so far but I still think they are a tad bit over-rated.

ZebraCity916
11-01-2009, 06:18 PM

1) Lakers
2)Spurs
3)Nuggets
4)Hornets
5)Blazers
6)Jazz
7)Rockets/Suns? Possibly

:facepalm:

ZebraCity916
11-01-2009, 06:21 PM
wow, your a dumbass if you really believe that.

:nod::clap:

Mavrix
11-01-2009, 06:27 PM

Really? Because last time I checked Dirk Nowitzki, Josh Howard (currently injured), Shawn Marion, and Jason Terry are very potent scorers. Not to mention scorers that can get 15 on any given night in Gooden and Barea. Without Howard Dallas obviosly isn't going to score as much. Same can be said about the Lakers without Gasol.

tr4shb0t
11-01-2009, 06:40 PM
Really? Because last time I checked Dirk Nowitzki, Josh Howard (currently injured), Shawn Marion, and Jason Terry are very potent scorers. Not to mention scorers that can get 15 on any given night in Gooden and Barea. Without Howard Dallas obviosly isn't going to score as much. Same can be said about the Lakers without Gasol.

I was talking about bench scorers, not starters. Offensive depth. I just don't know if they have enough to be competitive against several other teams. My opinion anyway.

Mavrix
11-01-2009, 06:49 PM
I was talking about bench scorers, not starters. Offensive depth. I just don't know if they have enough to be competitive against several other teams. My opinion anyway.

Funny you say that when your Lakers only bench scorer is Oden whom isn't even better than Terry coming off the bench offensively.

Basel
11-01-2009, 06:52 PM
Funny you say that when your Lakers only bench scorer is Oden whom isn't even better than Terry coming off the bench offensively.

Oden signed with the Lakers? Sweet :D

j.k

Mavrix
11-01-2009, 07:25 PM

j.k

Haha I always get the two names mixed up

Mavrix
11-01-2009, 07:33 PM

j.k

Haha I always get the two names mixed up

iggypop123
11-01-2009, 07:35 PM
come on offense is going to be an issue. the lakers were trash and the mavs only managed 42% even when allowing constant layups

TheKing23
11-01-2009, 08:06 PM
They may be better but the rest of the contenders have got a lot better as well.

Mavrix
11-01-2009, 08:26 PM
come on offense is going to be an issue. the lakers were trash and the mavs only managed 42% even when allowing constant layupsWho owned that game? Dallas averaged over 100 last season without Marion. Offense has never been an issue.

Mavrix
11-01-2009, 08:29 PM
They may be better but the rest of the contenders have got a lot better as well.

The Lakers, Spurs, and Cavs are sure proving it

_KB24_
11-01-2009, 08:59 PM

:facepalm: Gooden? Really?

And Marion cant create a shot for him for ****. He needs a dominant PG to be effective. Look how well Miami and TO turned out for him. Marion is a very over-rated scorer.

iggypop123
11-01-2009, 09:04 PM
The Lakers, Spurs, and Cavs are sure proving it

i guess the lakers, spurs, cavaliers are not on the level of the mavs and okc, and suns

Mavrix
11-01-2009, 09:06 PM
:facepalm: Gooden? Really?

And Marion cant create a shot for him for ****. He needs a dominant PG to be effective. Look how well Miami and TO turned out for him. Marion is a very over-rated scorer.
YES REALLY. Are you an idiot that doesn't realize that Gooden has a career average of 12 PPG or are you just ignorant?

He has the best passer in the league in Kidd as a PG which is why he's averaging 17 and 8 thus far, smart one.

Mavrix
11-01-2009, 09:07 PM
i guess the lakers, spurs, cavaliers are not on the level of the mavs and okc, and suns

Don't ever throw the Mavs in the same sentence as OKC and PHX.

_KB24_
11-01-2009, 10:36 PM
YES REALLY. Are you an idiot that doesn't realize that Gooden has a career average of 12 PPG or are you just ignorant?

He has the best passer in the league in Kidd as a PG which is why he's averaging 17 and 8 thus far, smart one.

WOW, ARE YOU SERIOUS? EVER HEARD OF A GUY NAMED CHRIS PAUL? DERON WILLIAMS? STEVE ****ING NASH? ****, I WOULD SAY ROSE AND EVEN RONDO ARE BETTER PASSERS THAN KIDD NOW.

And are you talking about the same Gooden who has only played a full season once, and is one of the most injury-prone mother****ers in the entire league playing a combined 69 games in the past 4 seasons four 4 different teams? Not to mention that he averaged those numbers playing on some really bad teams, where he was bound to get minutes. And I feel bad for saying that as I know Gooden is a really cool guy but nowhere in hell can he give you 15+ on any given night.

Step aside from being a homer, and see that the Mavs are a good, solid team but they are not as "good" as some of you Mavs fans (matter in fact, your the only one that seems to really over-rate them over the top).

sofargone
11-01-2009, 10:47 PM
if it was 2006, and the mavs had all the same players then they would be the best in the NBA, theyre a little too old

st3voness
11-01-2009, 11:14 PM
WOW, ARE YOU SERIOUS? EVER HEARD OF A GUY NAMED CHRIS PAUL? DERON WILLIAMS? STEVE ****ING NASH? ****, I WOULD SAY ROSE AND EVEN RONDO ARE BETTER PASSERS THAN KIDD NOW.

And are you talking about the same Gooden who has only played a full season once, and is one of the most injury-prone mother****ers in the entire league playing a combined 69 games in the past 4 seasons four 4 different teams? Not to mention that he averaged those numbers playing on some really bad teams, where he was bound to get minutes. And I feel bad for saying that as I know Gooden is a really cool guy but nowhere in hell can he give you 15+ on any given night.

Step aside from being a homer, and see that the Mavs are a good, solid team but they are not as "good" as some of you Mavs fans (matter in fact, your the only one that seems to really over-rate them over the top).

I'm sorry, but didn't we beat you? On your home court? Shut down Kobe Bryant? Got into Artest's head?

Yeah, that was us.

JordansBulls
11-01-2009, 11:18 PM
I'm sorry, but didn't we beat you? On your home court? Shut down Kobe Bryant? Got into Artest's head?

Yeah, that was us.

:speechless:

uchiha
11-01-2009, 11:23 PM
I agree with his statement, but at the same time I think a lot of other teams are still better than the current Mavs (and the 06 Mavs obviously)

_KB24_
11-01-2009, 11:25 PM

Yeah, that was us.

Bobcats beat us last year too, didn't stop us from winning a championship, your point?

And congratulations on beating us, if it makes you feel so good inside. We'll see who will be the last team standing....

st3voness
11-01-2009, 11:25 PM
:speechless:

I'm just saying.

Dude acts like the Lakers are in an entirely different league from the Mavericks, but they are not. He can say they were missing Pau Gasol, but we didn't have Josh Howard (good for 18-20 PPG), Tim Thomas (solid bench player), and Drew Gooden left with injury early in the game.

Even last year when the Lakers won the championship, all three games vs the Mavericks was down-to-the-wire through the 4th quarter. They only beat us by an average of 5-something points. And we improved 150% from last year's squad.

st3voness
11-01-2009, 11:27 PM
Bobcats beat us last year too, didn't stop us from winning a championship, your point?

And congratulations on beating us, if it makes you feel so good inside. We'll see who will be the last team standing....

Your bench is awful and your team proved without Gasol, you're barely a 5-8 seed.

Congratulations. Your team is so elite.

Mavrix
11-01-2009, 11:45 PM

You're by far one of the stupidest posters on this website, I'm sorry to say.

For one, go take a look at Gooden's stats.

Let's take a look at the last 4 seasons, shall we?

08-09: Played in 59 games. Played on the Spurs (playoff team), Sacramento (only one game), and Chicago (playoff team). Only reason he only played in 59 games is because he got traded 3 times during the season.

07-08: Played in 69 games. Played on the Cavs (playoff team), and Chicago

06-07: Played in 80 games for a playoff team on the Cavs.

05-06: Played in 79 games for a playoff team on the Cavs.

So as far as Gooden playing 69 games the past 4 seasons and being injury prone goes YOU'RE WRONG :facepalm: 59+69+80+79=287 out of a possible 328 meaning Gooden played in over 78% of every possible game the past 4 seasons. You just got owned.

As far as Paul, Nash or Williams being better passers - that's pure opinion. All of those PG's are pass first, score second. Kidd is pass first, pass second, sometimes even pass third, then score. He's a better leader IMO and has better court vision then all PG's you named with 2 finals experience's under his belt - none of which have.

Don't bust a vein over the fact that Dallas pounded your team on it's own home floor.

sofargone
11-01-2009, 11:53 PM
_KB24_=owned

_KB24_
11-02-2009, 12:36 AM
Your bench is awful and your team proved without Gasol, you're barely a 5-8 seed.

Congratulations. Your team is so elite.

Considering that nothing was going right for us (Kobe was horrible, no execution on both ends, missing Gasol) and we still hung around halfway through the 4th, it says something. You guy may say "well we didn't have Howard", well we were missing one of our most valuable, if not most, player in Gasol. Howard is probably your third or fourth best player. So if we're "barely a 5-8 seed" without Gasol, you guys are fighting for that eight seed w/o Kidd.

And thanks for the congratz, we don't need to be reminded how elite we are, we have our rings to remind us :D

_KB24_
11-02-2009, 12:54 AM
You're by far one of the stupidest posters on this website, I'm sorry to say.
Coming from you, I wouldn't take it serious

08-09: Played in 59 games. Played on the Spurs (playoff team), Sacramento (only one game), and Chicago (playoff team). Only reason he only played in 59 games is because he got traded 3 times during the season.
If he was such a good player, how the **** was he traded 3 times in one season? Says alot :rolleyes:

So as far as Gooden playing 69 games the past 4 seasons and being injury prone goes YOU'RE WRONG :facepalm: 59+69+80+79=287 out of a possible 328 meaning Gooden played in over 78% of every possible game the past 4 seasons. You just got owned.
My mistake. I don;t shy away from accepting where I was wrong. I misread the seasonal stats and looked at the last 4. I know for a fact how Bulls fans wanted his *** traded because of his horrible play. Stats can be misleading.

As far as Paul, Nash or Williams being better passers - that's pure opinion. He's a better leader IMO and has better court vision then all PG's you named with 2 finals experience's under his belt - none of which have.

We're not talking about a Kidd of 3-4 years ago, let alone his prime. This is a clearly aged Kidd who is not at the upper tier of PGs anymore. He may still be a great leader, but there are now better PGs talent wise.

All of those PG's are pass first, score second. Kidd is pass first, pass second, sometimes even pass third, then score.
This is really comical. All the PGs that I have listed are great passers and make the correct pass. The whole "pass first, pass second, sometimes even pass third, then score" argument is pretty stupid. Kidd would also shoot if he had the right opportunity.

Don't bust a vein over the fact that Dallas pounded your team on it's own home floor.Really? ahaha. Go ahead and feel good about yourself for as long as you can. Find me 1 Lakers fan or any other REASONABLE fan that really is intimidated by that home loss. You guys won fair and square, and good for you. Some of you guys are reacting like you just pulled off some historic upset in the playoffs. 2 GAMES into the season buddy. And I would LOVE to face you guys in the playoffs. You guys have done nothing but choked in the playoffs and you know it. Well have fun as long as you want, once we get Gasol back, you guys are history. Here you go.

Ironman5219
11-02-2009, 12:59 AM
waaaaaaaaayyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyy to early to tell, ask us again in april

albertc86
11-02-2009, 01:31 AM
They may be better but they're still not going to win a championship so it doesn't really matter. Lol.

BlondeBomber41
11-02-2009, 01:47 AM
This is what I am gonna say, and I say this as a totally unbiased fan. No homer in this statement at all.

The Mavericks have everything needed to win a championship this year, they just have to put it together.

Anyone who disagrees with that just needs to think it through.

Do they have scoring? Absolutely. Dirk Nowitzki, Josh Howard, Shawn Marion, Jason Terry are the four main scoring options. Then there are guys like JJ Barea, Drew Gooden, Tim Thomas, Kris Humphries, and obviously Jason Kidd who can pitch in offensively ahd have good scoring nights.

Defense? Yes sir. Say what you want about Erick Dampier, but he is a quality post defender and rebounder. Dirk is VASTLY underrated on defense (mostly due to the fact that average NBA fans think white = bad defender). Shawn Marion is still a excellent defender, he gave Kobe hell the other night along with our other new defensive piece Quinton Ross. Add in Josh Howard who is a very good defender and Kidd who can defend most PG's in the NBA very well. He has trouble with the quick ones, thats it.

Rebounding? Probably the best in the league. Dampier and Dirk are both very good defenders, Marion and Howard are some of the best at their position, Kidd is the very best at his position, and Gooden/Humphries/Singleton can put up big rebounding numbers off the bench. Rarely will the Mavs lose the battle of the boards.

Playmaking? Well they have Jason Kidd, two very good scoring and playmaking guards in Jason Terry and JJ Barea, and Dirk is great at creating plays himself. None of the contenders have a PG like Kidd who can create and run the offense, unless you consider the Hornets a contender.

The Mavericks have everything you could need to contend, but who really knows if they will? As a Mavs fan I am excited to see if they live up to their potential or fail to do so.

Just wait until the trade deadline also... we have a trigger happy owner loaded with expiring contracts before the 2010 offseason. I guarantee another really nice weapon is added before the deadline.

iggypop123
11-02-2009, 01:52 AM
This is what I am gonna say, and I say this as a totally unbiased fan. No homer in this statement at all.

The Mavericks have everything needed to win a championship this year, they just have to put it together.

Anyone who disagrees with that just needs to think it through.

Do they have scoring? Absolutely. Dirk Nowitzki, Josh Howard, Shawn Marion, Jason Terry are the four main scoring options. Then there are guys like JJ Barea, Drew Gooden, Tim Thomas, Kris Humphries, and obviously Jason Kidd who can pitch in offensively ahd have good scoring nights.

Defense? Yes sir. Say what you want about Erick Dampier, but he is a quality post defender and rebounder. Dirk is VASTLY underrated on defense (mostly due to the fact that average NBA fans think white = bad defender). Shawn Marion is still a excellent defender, he gave Kobe hell the other night along with our other new defensive piece Quinton Ross. Add in Josh Howard who is a very good defender and Kidd who can defend most PG's in the NBA very well. He has trouble with the quick ones, thats it.

Rebounding? Probably the best in the league. Dampier and Dirk are both very good defenders, Marion and Howard are some of the best at their position, Kidd is the very best at his position, and Gooden/Humphries/Singleton can put up big rebounding numbers off the bench. Rarely will the Mavs lose the battle of the boards.

Playmaking? Well they have Jason Kidd, two very good scoring and playmaking guards in Jason Terry and JJ Barea, and Dirk is great at creating plays himself. None of the contenders have a PG like Kidd who can create and run the offense, unless you consider the Hornets a contender.

The Mavericks have everything you could need to contend, but who really knows if they will? As a Mavs fan I am excited to see if they live up to their potential or fail to do so.

Just wait until the trade deadline also... we have a trigger happy owner loaded with expiring contracts before the 2010 offseason. I guarantee another really nice weapon is added before the deadline.

what?

Mavrix
11-02-2009, 02:04 AM
what?

He's an unbiased Mavs fan.

BlondeBomber41
11-02-2009, 04:35 AM
what?

You know what I meant. What I said had nothing to do with being a Mavs fan and everything to do with thinking logically about how the team can turn out.

st3voness
11-02-2009, 02:51 PM
Considering that nothing was going right for us (Kobe was horrible, no execution on both ends, missing Gasol) and we still hung around halfway through the 4th, it says something. You guy may say "well we didn't have Howard", well we were missing one of our most valuable, if not most, player in Gasol. Howard is probably your third or fourth best player. So if we're "barely a 5-8 seed" without Gasol, you guys are fighting for that eight seed w/o Kidd.

And thanks for the congratz, we don't need to be reminded how elite we are, we have our rings to remind us :D

Howard is good for 20 points a night. Dirk is obviously our number one scoring option, but Howard and Terry are definitely our number two. Terry and Howard usually average about the same points per game every season, they just differ on how they get those points; Howard, mid-range game and slashing to the hoop... Terry, 3-ball.

Fact is, you're 0-1 against us this season. Both teams had injuries so you have no excuse. You got trampled on your home court.

Oh, and we're ahead of you in the power rankings. What a coincidence...

Just shut up. You got burned by like 3 people in a matter of 3 pages.

_KB24_
11-03-2009, 12:08 AM
Howard is good for 20 points a night. Dirk is obviously our number one scoring option, but Howard and Terry are definitely our number two. Terry and Howard usually average about the same points per game every season, they just differ on how they get those points; Howard, mid-range game and slashing to the hoop... Terry, 3-ball.

Fact is, you're 0-1 against us this season. Both teams had injuries so you have no excuse. You got trampled on your home court.

:facepalm: Were you the one whos been smoking that kush with Howard?

Once again, CONGRATS on the win, I don't really care. You can get as happy as you want, but the Mavs don't scare me one bit. You guys could have beat us by 50 and I still would put all my money on the Lakers in a seven game series, because you guys are chokes.

OH NO???? ARE YOU REALLY?? NOT AHEAD OF US ON POWER RANKINGS? NOOOOOOOOOO!!???????.........:facepalm: That was just a sad point.....

Burned? Mavrix was the only one who corrected me and I ADMITTED IT. But I'm guessing your 9 and were screaming "Burn!" at your screen. Anyways, have as much fun as you can "ahead of (us) in the power rankings", we'll just do our work on the court where it matters, in the playoffs......

PS Lovely "teamwork" http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=D7452FKoI4A

Mavrix
11-03-2009, 12:23 AM
:facepalm: Were you the one whos been smoking that kush with Howard?

Once again, CONGRATS on the win, I don't really care. You can get as happy as you want, but the Mavs don't scare me one bit. You guys could have beat us by 50 and I still would put all my money on the Lakers in a seven game series, because you guys are chokes.

OH NO???? ARE YOU REALLY?? NOT AHEAD OF US ON POWER RANKINGS? NOOOOOOOOOO!!???????.........:facepalm: That was just a sad point.....

Burned? Mavrix was the only one who corrected me and I ADMITTED IT. But I'm guessing your 9 and were screaming "Burn!" at your screen. Anyways, have as much fun as you can "ahead of (us) in the power rankings", we'll just do our work on the court where it matters, in the playoffs......

PS Lovely "teamwork" http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=D7452FKoI4A

You proved me right being one of the stupidest posters on this site. Top 3 IMHO. Josh Howard averaged 19.9 ppg in 07-08 when he was healthy and 18 last season. He's good for 20 and 7 when healthy, smart one.

_KB24_
11-03-2009, 01:33 AM
You proved me right being one of the stupidest posters on this site. Top 3 IMHO. Josh Howard averaged 19.9 ppg in 07-08 when he was healthy and 18 last season. He's good for 20 and 7 when healthy, smart one.

Howard averaged 19.9 when he was their clear-cut second option and I believe he was ripping it up before the All Star break in 07 or 08. He did average 18 a game last year but hell ****ing no do I think he will come close to averaging 20 on this current team. I see him averaging no more than 15 a game at most with 5-7 rebounds. Marion and Nowtizki will average more than him and he'll be on par with Terry. And why the **** is he not playing. Mark Jackson pointed out during the Mavs-Lakers games when he saw Howard running during in practice and sitting out the game, "If i can run like lat during practice, theres no way in hell I missing games".

Me being "one of the stupidest posters"? Your probably the biggest homer/*** in this entire site "IMHO".

st3voness
11-03-2009, 01:55 AM
Howard averaged 19.9 when he was their clear-cut second option and I believe he was ripping it up before the All Star break in 07 or 08. He did average 18 a game last year but hell ****ing no do I think he will come close to averaging 20 on this current team. I see him averaging no more than 15 a game at most with 5-7 rebounds. Marion and Nowtizki will average more than him and he'll be on par with Terry. And why the **** is he not playing. Mark Jackson pointed out during the Mavs-Lakers games when he saw Howard running during in practice and sitting out the game, "If i can run like lat during practice, theres no way in hell I missing games".

Me being "one of the stupidest posters"? Your probably the biggest homer/*** in this entire site "IMHO".

You know nothing about basketball outside of your organization.

Just shut up. Your lack of basketball IQ is disgusting.

_KB24_
11-03-2009, 02:28 AM
You know nothing about basketball outside of your organization.

Just shut up. Your lack of basketball IQ is disgusting.

My basketball IQ is disgusting? Hey, why don't take your head out of your *** and realize that the MAVS are not as good as you tools are portraying them to be. Guess what team we have succeeded against the most, your pathetic Mavs with a 76% winning rate against you ******s. I swear I;m hoping that you guys don;t choke in the first round so we can play you.

BlondeBomber41
11-03-2009, 04:52 AM

He isn't playing because they want him 110% healthy before he comes back. They want him feeling absolutely perfect because the important thing is making sure he doesnt get reinjured.

I agree with the other things you said though. He wont average 20 on this team, but he will average more than Marion. He is more of a scorer than Marion, while Marion just scores on the break, and on cuts.

JordansBulls
11-03-2009, 09:46 AM
If I were the Mavs I would trade Josh Howard for T-mac as that would give them a more balanced lineup with Kidd, Mcgrady, Marion, Dirk and Dampier

JRZ22
11-03-2009, 10:15 AM
Too soon Cuban.. He just says stuff to get his ungly mug in the media. He's a media whore.. they havent even played 5 games yet

Ace33Bone
11-03-2009, 11:11 AM
I think talent wise they are much better than the 06 squad... the question is will they be able to gel as good as the 06 squad did

Mavrix
11-03-2009, 11:59 AM
When Howard comes back he'll probably average around 17 and 6 with this current team

Kidd: 8-10ppg, 9-10 apg, 6-7 rpg
Howard: 16-18ppg, 6-7 rpg
Marion: 16-17ppg, 8-9 rpg
Nowitzki: 23-25ppg, 8-10 rpg
Dampier: 7-8ppg, 7-8 rpg

Terry off the bench will get somewhere around 15-16ppg

st3voness
11-03-2009, 12:49 PM
My basketball IQ is disgusting? Hey, why don't take your head out of your *** and realize that the MAVS are not as good as you tools are portraying them to be. Guess what team we have succeeded against the most, your pathetic Mavs with a 76% winning rate against you ******s. I swear I;m hoping that you guys don;t choke in the first round so we can play you.

And the Lakers won't repeat this year.

You can quote me on that.

JordansBulls
11-03-2009, 02:21 PM

Hopefully some new blood comes out of the west like Denver.

Mavrix
11-03-2009, 03:12 PM
Hopefully some new blood comes out of the west like Denver.

Or Dallas. Or San Antonio.

BlondeBomber41
11-03-2009, 04:09 PM

Neither Dallas or San Antonio can be considered "new blood"

JordansBulls
11-03-2009, 06:00 PM

They have both been to the finals recently. A team like Denver, Portland, New Orleans, Houston, Utah is considered new blood.

_KB24_
11-04-2009, 01:59 AM

Sig bet son? Lets see if you are not just talk. I'm down for anything.

st3voness
11-04-2009, 02:08 AM
Sig bet son? Lets see if you are not just talk. I'm down for anything.

I'll sig bet you. Details?

After watching the Lakers have to use overtime to get past the Thunder, I'm 100% confident and will stand by my statement.

_KB24_
11-04-2009, 02:17 AM
I'll sig bet you. Details?

After watching the Lakers have to use overtime to get past the Thunder, I'm 100% confident and will stand by my statement.

Lets go. WHEN the Lakers repeat, you fly our colors on you sig for the ENTIRE OFF-SEASON and ANY quote that I choose. I'll accept your conditions. You good?

st3voness
11-04-2009, 02:19 AM
Lets go. WHEN the Lakers repeat, you fly our colors on you sig for the ENTIRE OFF-SEASON and ANY quote that I choose. I'll accept your conditions. You good?

Okay.

I'll let you know my conditions when I think them over.

ragee
11-04-2009, 03:55 AM
Bold statement... Hope it's true...

BlazersDozen
11-04-2009, 05:27 AM
The current Mavs team is better than the 06 team.

This Mavs squad has great versatility and can match up decently with any team in the NBA.

2006 Mavericks
PG - Jason Terry/Devin Harris/Darrell Armstrong
SG - Adrian Griffin/Jerry Stackhouse/Doug Christie
SF - Josh Howard/Marquis Daniels/Rawle Marshall
PF - Dirk Nowitzki/Keith Van Horn/Josh Powell
C - DeSagna Diop/Eric Dampier/Didier Mbenga

2009-2010 Mavericks
PG - Jason Kidd/Jose Barrera/Rodrigue Beaubois
SG - Quinton Ross/Jason Terry/Matt Carroll
SF - Josh Howard/Shawn Marion/Shawne Williams
PF - Dirk Nowitzki/Tim Thomas/Kris Humphries
C - Eric Dampier/Drew Gooden

I wish the Mavericks would have kept Ryan Hollins, he is one of my favorite bench players today. Definitly has the tools to become a solid defensive big man (put up Sammy Dalembert numbers last year) but I guess they let him go.

Anyways how can you say a team with Marion and Terry on the bench is worse than a team with Diop starting?

skratcher
11-04-2009, 06:05 AM
I would have to agree.

BlondeBomber41
11-04-2009, 06:23 AM
The current Mavs team is better than the 06 team.

This Mavs squad has great versatility and can match up decently with any team in the NBA.

2006 Mavericks
PG - Jason Terry/Devin Harris/Darrell Armstrong
SG - Adrian Griffin/Jerry Stackhouse/Doug Christie
SF - Josh Howard/Marquis Daniels/Rawle Marshall
PF - Dirk Nowitzki/Keith Van Horn/Josh Powell
C - DeSagna Diop/Eric Dampier/Didier Mbenga

2009-2010 Mavericks
PG - Jason Kidd/Jose Barrera/Rodrigue Beaubois
SG - Quinton Ross/Jason Terry/Matt Carroll
SF - Josh Howard/Shawn Marion/Shawne Williams
PF - Dirk Nowitzki/Tim Thomas/Kris Humphries
C - Eric Dampier/Drew Gooden

I wish the Mavericks would have kept Ryan Hollins, he is one of my favorite bench players today. Definitly has the tools to become a solid defensive big man (put up Sammy Dalembert numbers last year) but I guess they let him go.

Anyways how can you say a team with Marion and Terry on the bench is worse than a team with Diop starting?

Well like I have already said, I agree with Cuban but you got our lineup all wrong. When healthy it will be....

Jason Kidd/JJ Barea/Rodrigue Beaubois
Josh Howard/Jason Terry/Matt Carroll
Shawn Marion/Quinton Ross/Tim Thomas
Dirk Nowitzki/Kris Humphries/James Singleton
Erick Dampier/Drew Gooden

Thats not saying there wont be nights when Thomas plays alot or Singleton gets good minutes, but thats generally how it will play out.

JayW_1023
11-04-2009, 07:23 AM
This squad is very deep...but it's gonna be a challenge to find a clear rotation. Strange that with so many offensive weapons, Dirk still had to carry such an unbelievable load thus far.

ragee
11-04-2009, 02:18 PM
This squad is very deep...but it's gonna be a challenge to find a clear rotation. Strange that with so many offensive weapons, Dirk still had to carry such an unbelievable load thus far.

True... What I like about having a lot of offensive threats though is not to take some load off of Dirk but to take some pressure off of Kidd so he can focus on the things he is really good at...

MTar786
03-25-2010, 10:44 AM
i wouldnt say they are better.. they have more talent.. but lack the confidence.. either way.. everyone this year is better than the 06 heat lol (the team that beat dallas in 6 and won 4 straight)

Chronz
03-25-2010, 12:39 PM
They have more OLDER talent, but they were hella deep before.

JNA17
03-25-2010, 12:44 PM
i wouldnt say they are better.. they have more talent.. but lack the confidence.. either way.. everyone this year is better than the 06 heat lol (the team that beat dallas in 6 and won 4 straight)

why dig this old thread up?

JordansBulls
03-25-2010, 12:53 PM
Since the trade that happened with the Mavs after the allstar break. What do you think of Cuban's remarks on the Mavs being better than the '06 team now that they got Butler and Haywood?

Sadds The Gr8
03-25-2010, 01:06 PM
Maybe they're better then the '06 Mavs, but so are the Lakers, Spurs, Magic, Cavs and Celts, so that's not saying much.

this.

Verbal Christ
03-25-2010, 06:28 PM
this years mavs team is really good, and maybe a bit better than in 06. too bad they are still not good enough to knock off the lakers or nugs.

dtmagnet
03-25-2010, 07:03 PM
I agree with Mr. Cuban

dodie53
03-25-2010, 07:59 PM
suns 2010 < mav 2010 < lakers 2010
imo.

xBLAMEITON24x
03-25-2010, 09:08 PM
06 better imo

Raph12
03-25-2010, 09:12 PM