PDA

View Full Version : Shaq says that this Cavs team on paper is better then any other team hes played for?

D Roses Bulls
10-08-2009, 05:21 PM
i mean i know he said only on paper, but i mean i think the diesel is becoming a little delusional or maybe he's just tryna suck up, but either way do you think this cavs team is better then 2006 miami heat or all those other lakers teams he played for?

"It's probably the best team I've ever played on, on paper anyway," O'Neal said Thursday.

http://sports.espn.go.com/nba/news/story?id=4543432

showtym24
10-08-2009, 05:24 PM
Hahahhahahahahaha that was funny.

D Roses Bulls
10-08-2009, 05:26 PM
Hahahhahahahahaha that was funny.

i know i got a big laugh outta it too. even the lakers team that lost to the pistons in 2004 or even the 2006 heat were better then this team.

MG3
10-08-2009, 05:31 PM
all of his laker teams with kobe were great...and lebron could play the role that kobe did when shaq was there but the role players for the lakers were MUCH better than the role players for the cavs. Plus shaq is old and not the same player so that means he must think LeBron is gonna be Michael Jordan. In a word...no shaq...no

D Roses Bulls
10-08-2009, 05:32 PM
but to be fair, shaq says this everytime he switches teams. he said that when he was traded to the suns as well but he added the on paper part this time

JordansBulls
10-08-2009, 05:34 PM
but to be fair, shaq says this everytime he switches teams. he said that when he was traded to the suns as well but he added the on paper part this time

Bingo!!!

I remember when he when to Phoenix and said that he never had gotten easy shots like he did with Nash.

D Roses Bulls
10-08-2009, 05:36 PM
Bingo!!!

I remember when he when to Phoenix and said that he never had gotten easy shots like he did with Nash.

yeah i remember that. i guess he wants the city or the team to love him or something so he pulls this crap out of his butt

bigsams50
10-08-2009, 05:36 PM

:nod:

last stand
10-08-2009, 05:40 PM
when he went to pheonix he said things like

"thanks for sending me to the land of the shooters", "noone has ever been able to pass to me like nash can"

this is shaqs game. i don't like the move for cleveland. i think lebron is at his pure best with a spaced out court where he can dictate the tempo

when you make moves to adjust to other teams it never works. the spurs made a move to get better by grabbing talent. they didn't trade for richard jefferson to battle the lakers. they traded for him to become more talented.

the cavs should have went the same route as the spurs. traded for talent not matchups

marlinsfan24
STFU you douschebag

theimortalone
He also said the same thing about Phoenix. :shrug:

kantarok
10-08-2009, 05:42 PM
Shaq is right. That lakers team would not have been great without him along with the suns and heat. If you take him off of those three teams and compare it to lebrons team which team would go farthest?

kEviN21
10-08-2009, 05:42 PM
This team was almost unbeatable last year. They lose nothing and gain Shaq and depth. I think it is.

Storch
10-08-2009, 05:46 PM
Shaq's right ... on paper this is a great team. Take him out of it they can still make it all the way to the ecf finals. Take him away from lakers or heat, i highly doubt it.

D Roses Bulls
10-08-2009, 05:47 PM
Shaq is right. That lakers team would not have been great without him along with the suns and heat. If you take him off of those three teams and compare it to lebrons team which team would go farthest?

okay true but shaq was also the most dominate guy in the NBA then so you take this cavs team with shaq now and put them against one of those lakers teams and this cavs team would get crushed

DrDEADalready
10-08-2009, 05:48 PM
I'm going to have to agree with Shaq on this one.

Lebron> kobe and Wade

so yeah i'll so on paper this is true. cause they also got mo williams and he's better than fisher and whoever was the pg on the miami.

D Roses Bulls
10-08-2009, 05:51 PM

Lebron> kobe and Wade

so yeah i'll so on paper this is true. cause they also got mo williams and he's better than fisher and whoever was the pg on the miami.

well lets see..... the 2006 heat team had wade, antoine walker when he was still all star caliber. an old but okay gary payton, jason williams, james posey, haslem, alonzo mourning backing up shaq. i know im missing others, but come on that is a pretty good team.

Ansy
10-08-2009, 05:51 PM
This team has the best teammates he's ever had, but the Lakers team was clearly better because he was so much better back then.

celticsfan18ty
10-08-2009, 05:53 PM
come on now the cavs suck on paper and the cavs suck in real life this team is not even close to those laker teams on paper with shaq or the miami heat with shaq that age is gettin to his mind

what54!?
10-08-2009, 05:53 PM
he just says that to hype the team up and make them soound good. We all know the lakers teams were better. I'd take his magic team over the cavs too.

DrDEADalready
10-08-2009, 05:54 PM
This team has the best teammates he's ever had, but the Lakers team was clearly better because he was so much better back then.

Well yeah the team was better then because of shaq was in his prime. but as far as others players go that surround shaq. Cleveland has better players just think if shaq was in his prime with lebron.

Jonathan2323
10-08-2009, 05:54 PM
Shaq says this everywhere he goes.

Chronz
10-08-2009, 05:57 PM
when he went to pheonix he said things like

"thanks for sending me to the land of the shooters", "noone has ever been able to pass to me like nash can"

this is shaqs game. i don't like the move for cleveland. i think lebron is at his pure best with a spaced out court where he can dictate the tempo

when you make moves to adjust to other teams it never works. the spurs made a move to get better by grabbing talent. they didn't trade for richard jefferson to battle the lakers. they traded for him to become more talented.

the cavs should have went the same route as the spurs. traded for talent not matchups

So your saying trading Ben Wallace and Sasha for Shaq wasnt a move to become more talented? Its the move they shouldve made last year but didnt because they THOUGHT they had enough to win and nobody expected the Magic to go on such a hot streak shooting wise.

Teams make moves to adjust to other teams ALL the time, so I dont see how you could say it never works.

The Cavs got Shaq to get better, period. The fact that he along with the other free agent acquisitions they landed, also filled a void that needed to be filled doesnt diminish its significance, in fact it helps them that much more.

okay true but shaq was also the most dominate guy in the NBA then so you take this cavs team with shaq now and put them against one of those lakers teams and this cavs team would get crushed
Generally when players are talking about their support they dont include themselves in the picture. This IS the best team Shaq has ever been on because it includes an MVP winner at the prime of his career playing on a team that won 65 games because of him.

Chronz
10-08-2009, 05:59 PM
Shaq says this everywhere he goes.

Thats because its true everywhere he gos, as hes aged every team he joined was better than the one that preceded it, should we just stop taking him at face value because hes speaks the truth, that doesnt make sense.

FroMontana
10-08-2009, 06:05 PM
The 1991 LSU team is better than this Cleveland team.

wallerstud06
10-08-2009, 06:13 PM
Yes this is a dumb thing for Shaq to say...his three peat team with Kobe is wayyy better than this Cavalier team(that will never win a title). That Lakers team was just two deep and had a young superstar in Kobe and greatrole players that complimented each other really well(Fisher, Harper, Fox and Horry)

Pierzynski4Prez
10-08-2009, 06:29 PM
Shaq is way off.

Payton
Kobe
Fox
Malone
Shaq

on paper, easily his best team, although they didn't win, but we're talking on paper here

Kenny
10-08-2009, 06:33 PM
Last I checked didnt the Cavs win a league high 66 games without him last year? I dont see how this statement is that far fetched to be honest

FachoinaNYY
10-08-2009, 06:46 PM
shaq says **** like this every time he goes to a new team.

... though just with LBJ by himself, he kinda does have a point.

goku
10-08-2009, 06:49 PM
i wonder would he say that if he was traded to the kings

EternalLakeShow
10-08-2009, 06:52 PM
shaq shaq shaq......when will he learn:facepalm:

blackjack_119
10-08-2009, 06:52 PM
Shaq is way off.

Payton
Kobe
Fox
Malone
Shaq

on paper, easily his best team, although they didn't win, but we're talking on paper here

Yup... by far that was the best team on paper.

last stand
10-08-2009, 07:00 PM
So your saying trading Ben Wallace and Sasha for Shaq wasnt a move to become more talented? Its the move they shouldve made last year but didnt because they THOUGHT they had enough to win and nobody expected the Magic to go on such a hot streak shooting wise.

Teams make moves to adjust to other teams ALL the time, so I dont see how you could say it never works.

The Cavs got Shaq to get better, period. The fact that he along with the other free agent acquisitions they landed, also filled a void that needed to be filled doesnt diminish its significance, in fact it helps them that much more.

Generally when players are talking about their support they dont include themselves in the picture. This IS the best team Shaq has ever been on because it includes an MVP winner at the prime of his career playing on a team that won 65 games because of him.

ben wallace was a huge expiring

they could have gotten someone who was younger and could actually give lebron a reason to stay there long term

R cool J
10-08-2009, 07:04 PM
Well yeah the team was better then because of shaq was in his prime. but as far as others players go that surround shaq. Cleveland has better players just think if shaq was in his prime with lebron.

OK, just think about Shaq playing in his prime while Kobe is in his prime...do you really think kobe was at his prime when he was playing with shaq...hahaha i think not, and to all those who say lebron>kobe, ill agree on stats value, but kobe is the better smarter basketball player overall...put kobe on a team all by himself didnt he average like 35, 6 and 6...and dont give me that lebron is all by himself crap, he had a better team then when kobe was by himelf (the dude had smush parker on his time...no need to say more here.)

futureman
10-08-2009, 07:05 PM
What a load of crap

Becks2307
10-08-2009, 07:10 PM
alot of yall forgot that the Cavs ran through the league last year. They even destroyed the first 2 rounds of the playoffs. Orlando got weaker imo. The Celtics are good but they are old. And Shaq will teach DH12 a lesson in the playoffs. His ego is WAYY to big to let DH12 dunk all over him.

Shaq - THE BIG WITNESS PROTECTION

Raph12
10-08-2009, 07:20 PM
i mean i know he said only on paper, but i mean i think the diesel is becoming a little delusional or maybe he's just tryna suck up, but either way do you think this cavs team is better then 2006 miami heat or all those other lakers teams he played for?

"It's probably the best team I've ever played on, on paper anyway," O'Neal said Thursday.

Shaq says a lot of things, he's just lonely

MackSnackWrap
10-08-2009, 07:24 PM
LMFAO he says that on every team he goes on

D Roses Bulls
10-08-2009, 08:25 PM
alot of yall forgot that the Cavs ran through the league last year. They even destroyed the first 2 rounds of the playoffs. Orlando got weaker imo. The Celtics are good but they are old. And Shaq will teach DH12 a lesson in the playoffs. His ego is WAYY to big to let DH12 dunk all over him.

Shaq - THE BIG WITNESS PROTECTION

no i dont think the magic got weaker. i believe they knew that they werent going to compete again like they did with the same roster. carter gives them a slasher and a guy who will take it to the rim with authority. someone who plays back to the basket. the bench got a lot deeper and imo is the best bench in the NBA. shaq in no way will stop D12 unless he wants to get his team into foul trouble. howard is too quick and his spin move is ridiculous. you also got to remember, they signed gortat and everybody was questioning that move because he is too good to be a back up and like 15 other teams in the league could use him and by the trade deadline with him and the 7 million in the trade exception they got from dallas, dont be surprised to see the magic acquire some one pretty damn good. cause you know a star or two with an expiring or a couple years left will be on the market. the magic will be fine. cavs have the third best team in the east.

AllTheWay
10-08-2009, 08:30 PM
Well it makes sense. Take Shaq off of any other team he has been on and they aren't as good as the Cavs were last year. Now if the entire 2000 Lakers(including Shaq) faced the 2009 Cavs(with this shaq) then the Lakers would prevail....

MJ-BULLS
10-08-2009, 08:43 PM
alot of teams look good on paper but at times end up doing not so good

junion
10-08-2009, 08:47 PM

i agree.

this is just a player pumping up his team. of course you're going to say the team you're currently on is the best. you're on THAT team now. just imagine if you said that you have been on better teams? - just wouldn't be right, regardless what team you're on.

things to consider:
. shaq says this for every team he gets on
. if you're a player, you don't want your team to feel anything less than the best
. the media could have been asking questions, and he's answering them. we need to know what question was asked, how it was asked, etc.

"how do you feel about being on this team" - the response would make sense
"how do you feel about this team compared to the ones you were on with kobe during the three-peat?" - the response would cause drama.

JNA17
10-08-2009, 08:51 PM
i guess kobe, payton, malone, rick fox, fisher, is just blown right out of the water right?

But shaq says statements like these every team he switches.

When shaq retires, he will say "this vodka is better then the nba!!!"

_KB24_
10-08-2009, 08:59 PM
Yup and still people insist that this team is still a bunch of "scrubs"...

Stupid comment by Shaq. The 00 Lakers team and 06 Heat would dismantle this team.

jetsfan28
10-08-2009, 09:02 PM
I can agree. This is a conference champion without Shaq. Think about it, these are mostly the same guys who made it to the finals, plus Shaq, Mo replacing Hughes, Delonte replacing Wesley, Parker (replacing Pavlovic), Powe replacing Donyell Marshall, and a more experienced Varejao, with Boobie (a star on that team in the playoffs) buried on the bench.

i guess kobe, payton, malone, rick fox, fisher, is just blown right out of the water right?

But shaq says statements like these every team he switches.

When shaq retires, he will say "this vodka is better then the nba!!!"

LeBron is basically equal to Kobe
Mo is better than Payton at this point
The combination of Varejao and Z is better than Malone
Delonte is about even to Fisher
Parker is as good as Fox and George were

I'd say this team is clearly better on paper without the Shaqs, although if you consider the fact that now he's worse this team may not be the best.

KBfrom8to24
10-08-2009, 09:18 PM

When did you start watching basketball?

Chronz
10-08-2009, 09:30 PM
ben wallace was a huge expiring

they could have gotten someone who was younger and could actually give lebron a reason to stay there long term

LMAO Shaq is an even BIGGER expiring so your point is irrelevant

kantarok
10-08-2009, 09:32 PM
Are u mad or something:facepalm:? Shaq should not be included. He said it is the best team he has been on, which means it is the best supporting players and nothing else. Lebron is better right now then Kobe was, when he was playing with Shaq and the rest of the team is deep. It was Shaq in those days that was carrying the team because he was the franchise player of that lakers dynasty but now he is just a starter or 6th man and his team is still slated to go very deep and have a chance for another ring. I dont know how you can argue with that.

BkOriginalOne
10-08-2009, 09:59 PM
Is shaq forgetting the year that of the fantastic four.
Payton
Kobe
Malone
Shaq.

That is the best NBA of ALL TIME (on paper)

JJ_JKidd
10-08-2009, 10:07 PM
Shaq also said this crap when he was in Miami, when he left the Heat he dissed the team. Same as true when he was in Phoenix. Hes in Bron country of course he'll say that.

S.J.Basketball
10-08-2009, 10:12 PM
Shaq is such a s-l-u-t. He kisses more butt and licks more balls when he goes to a new team than anyone I've ever seen. He says this ALL THE TIME.

s-lut is censored? Really?

ko8e24
10-08-2009, 10:18 PM
shaq is such a clown hahahaah

just come to the lakers, win 1 or 2 more rings, and retire ur fat arse with us already

RaiderLakersA's
10-08-2009, 10:19 PM
Shaq should be careful. A police officer must have integrity and credibility above all else. If he keeps making statements like that, he won't have either.

ko8e24
10-08-2009, 10:21 PM
Is shaq forgetting the year that of the fantastic four.
Payton
Kobe
Malone
Shaq.

That is the best NBA of ALL TIME (on paper)

Most Def, and if all were in their prime, dang!

kobe was 2 yrs away from hitting his prime, shaq was 1-2 yrs removed from his prime, the mailman was like 3-4 yrs removed from his prime, and GP was like 2-3 yrs removed from his prime. so they were all really close to their respective peaks.

just sucked that they did not win the titile due to egos and injuries :pity:

ko8e24
10-08-2009, 10:23 PM
Shaq should be careful. A police officer must have integrity and credibility above all else. If he keeps making statements like that, he won't have either.

ahaha, didnt he like have his deputy sheriff badge confiscated from him after that "kobe, tell me how my @$$ tastes" rap?

Tblaze
10-08-2009, 10:35 PM
well, a prime shaq together with lebron... yeah coming to think of it. He's right.

IDB Josh M
10-08-2009, 10:49 PM
Shaq needs to shuttup. The best team, on paper, he played with was the 2004 roster that included Kobe, Gary Payton, and Karl Malone. I dont care how good Lebron is, because One Lebron James =\= Kobe + Gary Payton + Karl Malone.

On Paper!

sofargone
10-08-2009, 11:03 PM
shaq knows this isnt true he just wants to get attention cause hes a funny guy

sofargone
10-08-2009, 11:04 PM
Shaq needs to shuttup. The best team, on paper, he played with was the 2004 roster that included Kobe, Gary Payton, and Karl Malone. I dont care how good Lebron is, because One Lebron James =\= Kobe + Gary Payton + Karl Malone.

On Paper!

i love your sig btw

Chronz
10-08-2009, 11:09 PM

On Paper!

Except that its not just LeBron, could those Lakers win 65+ games without Shaq? Not a chance

HuRRiCaNeS324
10-08-2009, 11:23 PM
Shaq ALWAYS does this when he comes to a new team. And when he leaves that team, he talks **** about them (maybe other than the suns, but idk if he has or not). He does to give his teammates confidence i guess, or get on the good side with the fans.

Lakersho
10-08-2009, 11:46 PM

Lebron> kobe and Wade

your crazy. i would take fish now , over mo, what you didnt see mo choke to death agaist magic? fish is still clutch ,on one wheel. you should lay down take a nap, and rethink...

jim51990
10-09-2009, 12:07 AM
aka lebron >kobe

Chronz
10-09-2009, 12:18 AM
your crazy. i would take fish now , over mo, what you didnt see mo choke to death agaist magic? fish is still clutch ,on one wheel. you should lay down take a nap, and rethink...

Its easier to look clutch when your a complete afterthought defensively, whereas Mo was the 2nd best offensive player on the team, thats really sad and its why they Cavs lost despite Brons greatness. Once they find someone whos a great enough compliment to Bron, someone whos good enough to be a first option without him, thats when Mo will be able to shine. But yea hes overrated, but hes still better than D-Fish bro.

Lakersfan2483
10-09-2009, 01:04 AM

Shaq is so full of crap, he says that about every team he plays for, he said that about Phoenix, LA, Miami and now Cleveland.

stawka
10-09-2009, 01:15 AM
If we're talking with Shaq in the team, then it's obviously the 3-peat Lakers. If we're talking 'take Shaq out of the team', then he is definitely right. The Lakers post-Shaq had Odom/Butler and did nothing without him, the Heat did nothing before Shaq (again with Odom), the Suns with Amare/Nash and without Marion... And this Cavs team.

Depends which way we're looking at it.

Rocco007
10-09-2009, 01:15 AM
Oh Shaqie baby...You will say and do anything these days for attention...Since you can't let your play do the talking anymore...

Riley was his best coach...DWade was his best team mate...The when he leaves Miami he says, Me and Kobe were the best big man-little man combo of All-Time..

He'll say anything to discredit his previous teams and elevate his current ....

Ace33Bone
10-09-2009, 09:00 AM
It's no way... I feel that LeBron is the best individual player that Shaq has played with (that did not sound right but you know what i mean) but I do not feel that this team is better than the 2000 Lakers or the Magic team that he played on