PDA

View Full Version : The streets were calling for Antoine Wright

Bob_at_york
10-05-2009, 12:28 PM
He knew all about the gangs and how bleak the future could be if he fell in with them, how he could be lost before he had a chance to find out anything about himself, about life, about the world.

He had to leave the streets of San Bernardino, Calif., before he became a victim of them.

He had a brother in prison and friends and other relatives who had also been incarcerated.

And the streets were calling Antoine Wright.

He wouldn't answer.

"With my brother's situation, him going to prison for six years, I had to make a decision," Wright said this past week at Raptors camp.

"His friends were still there and they still wanted me to be part of the crew, so you have to mature a little bit.

"It helped me to know to get out of the neighbourhood."

Far, far away.

Today, the new Raptors forward is an educated, well-rounded, articulate 25-year-old with a bright future in front of him.

He is comfortable with what he has become; he knows the value of education as well as athletic ability.

The journey that began when he left home as a teenager for a private prep school in Groton, Mass., the Lawrence Academy, has paid off in basketball.

And, most important, in life.

Link for full story: http://www.thestar.com/sports/basketball/article/705091

canzano55
10-05-2009, 12:40 PM
Try growing up in the favela slums of San Paolo and somehow managing to become one of the greatest players of all time (Ronaldo) then get back to me.

Halladay
10-05-2009, 03:26 PM
Seems as though we've heard this story too many times...

yungballah15
10-05-2009, 03:28 PM
Try growing up in the favela slums of San Paolo and somehow managing to become one of the greatest players of all time (Ronaldo) then get back to me.

chill yo, damn. these are the type of players everyone has to respect, this guy had to grind, to play ball, and styll stay outta trouble, glad hes playing ball, and not dead are in prison, dont think much people would know this about him, good to know this.

SA5195
10-05-2009, 05:08 PM
Cool we got some nice people that grew up in the mean streets! DD from Compton, and Wright from that place lol.

GodsSon
10-05-2009, 07:22 PM

Rio's are harder lol

deuces
10-05-2009, 08:32 PM
i'm a white guy from acorn

SA5195
10-05-2009, 09:39 PM
^ Wow that was so random lmao.

B2B
10-06-2009, 06:29 AM

I can't speak for Ronaldo but not wanting to be where u r is a motivational factor. I don't know if where I grew up is worst than San Paolo or not because I've never been but it's not great. I would say the motivation is depending on the persons makeup/mindset but once u tell yourself this is not where I want to be or what I want u become very motivated & u have daily reminders around u to stay motivated.

canzano55
10-06-2009, 12:45 PM
I'm just sick of hearing about "Boys in the Hood" stories. The 80's are over plus most of the time "growing up in the streets" USA background pales in comparison to other people who had to deal with civil war on a regular basis.

You wanna hear about tragic upbringings read Diego Maradona's book; the guy lived in a tin shack (literally) with 6 siblings in the outskirts of gang plagued Buenos' Aires - post revolution.

SA5195
10-06-2009, 04:44 PM
This is going out of hand lol. We're not comparing who had more bad lives, its about Wright, and him growing up with a bro in jail, and being pressured to join a gang, but instead he became an NBA player.

yungballah15
10-06-2009, 05:00 PM
This is going out of hand lol. We're not comparing who had more bad lives, its about Wright, and him growing up with a bro in jail, and being pressured to join a gang, but instead he became an NBA player.

real tlakz yo, thats what im trying to fiqure out, who the hell is talking about this next shii, were talking about wright, im i right? :mad:

KayNti
10-09-2009, 03:34 AM
Hopefully they bring a lil of the streets onto the court; The Raptors were to soft, they should bring Oakley to coach

ink
10-09-2009, 08:04 AM

Exactly. It's just a background story on one of the new Raptors. It's not a "worst life" contest! lol. No need to dismiss it just because we can think of a "worse" upbringing. Maradona and Ronaldo aren't Raptors. This is an article on a Raptor in a Raptors forum. Let's not make it a bigger deal than it is.

About the article: I find this kind of story interesting. Good for Wright for making it all the way to the NBA.