PDA

View Full Version : Rookie of the Year Debate

katie mines
10-03-2009, 07:13 PM
I know everyone has been talking about Hasheem Thabeet and Ricky Rubio

being the Rookies of the year this year and all

but in all honesty I have been a columinst on North Carolina basketball for the last 10 years and I really believe that Tyler Hansbrough has a LEGIT shot at this award. He is a true work horse and a smart basketball player and will get the job done even if it is not pretty.

I am new to the forum and do not know how things are done here but I just wanted to voice my opinion on this up and coming superstar.

White men can jump and Tyler is proof of this.

ChiSox219
10-03-2009, 07:23 PM
Rubio is playing in Europe
Thabeet is raw, should be a good defender but won't put up the numbers to be in the running even if he got the shots, which he won't play with AI, Randolph, Gay, Mayo.

I like Hansbro, I've said he has the ability and skills to perform on par with just about anyone in his draft class. Don't know how many minutes he will get, probably won't start and he's currently injured.

dtmagnet
10-03-2009, 07:28 PM
At this point, every rookie that will get significant minutes has a shot at it, because we haven't played any games yet.

sofargone
10-03-2009, 07:36 PM
theres no debate until after the first game..but i have a strange feeling that it wont be rubio

DerekRE_3
10-03-2009, 07:39 PM

but in all honesty I have been a columinst on North Carolina basketball for the last 10 years and I really believe that Tyler Hansbrough has a LEGIT shot at this award. He is a true work horse and a smart basketball player and will get the job done even if it is not pretty.

I am new to the forum and do not know how things are done here but I just wanted to voice my opinion on this up and coming superstar.

I wasn't aware that everyone was talking about Thabeet and Rubio for ROY. pretty sure Blake Griffin has been the early pick to win the award.

theuuord
10-03-2009, 07:42 PM
um, nobody has been talking about Thabeet and Rubio.

Blake Griffin is the only logical choice barring injury.

Kyben36
10-03-2009, 07:44 PM
After seeing Taj Gibson for the bulls put up starter type number, he very well may make a shot at this thing. dont think he will be as considered as some higher picks, but he could definitly be a candidate if he keeps up what he did the first game.

sofargone
10-03-2009, 07:48 PM
every rookie has a shot at this thing at this point and time.

Ryan328
10-03-2009, 07:52 PM
As of now, I like DaRozan and Evans.

dbow1920
10-03-2009, 07:53 PM

I understood your sarcasm...apparently I'm the only one

But I dont think Hansbrough has any shot whatsoever at being the rookie of the year...obviously I could be wrong, but I just don't see it with him

I think that it will be either Blake Griffin, Brandon Jennings, or Tyreke Evans

SA5195
10-03-2009, 08:20 PM
My top 5 list, mind you its my opinion, so I don't really care if you agree or disagree lol.

In no order:

Griffin
Evans
Derozan
Curry
Jennings

BTW when did anyone talk about Rubio being ROY? dudes in europe!

IRUAM #21
10-03-2009, 08:33 PM

This is your 1st post and i hope it's your last.

Hawkeye15
10-03-2009, 08:41 PM
Which ever rookie gets 34 mpg or more has a shot. Griffin, Flynn, Harden, Jennings, and Evans are my early favorites. They will all play serious minutes, and be relied on to produce right away

FlakeyFool
10-03-2009, 08:41 PM
DeRozan will surprise people this year (in a good way ;))

b_russ
10-03-2009, 08:46 PM
I understood your sarcasm...apparently I'm the only one

But I dont think Hansbrough has any shot whatsoever at being the rookie of the year...obviously I could be wrong, but I just don't see it with him

I think that it will be either Blake Griffin, Brandon Jennings, or Tyreke Evans

And yet they still don't get the sarcasm many posts later.

I don't see why Hansbrough can't be considered. He brings you what Troy Murphy doesn't (defense, rebounding and hustle) so I think he'll be a key factor for their team to have success this year. Honestly it's hard to picture anyone from this year's draft class becoming a breakout star apart from Griffen, and even he could turn into a bust. Most just seem like role players to me.

FlakeyFool
10-03-2009, 08:56 PM
~_~

theuuord
10-03-2009, 08:59 PM
what are the odds that this profile was made up by JB to ruffle more feathers?

i got 10-1.

mrmike101
10-03-2009, 09:03 PM
Tyler and troy will be the front court of the future. (extreme sarcasm I like travis knight and doleac better )

sofargone
10-03-2009, 09:17 PM
what are the odds that this profile was made up by JB to ruffle more feathers?

i got 10-1.

forget about JB i think that hansborough made this profile himself

disk 8
10-03-2009, 10:28 PM
either Blake Griffin or Brandon Jennings

OA SLAY
10-03-2009, 10:41 PM
Did you say ur a columinst on North Carolina basketball?.....:facepalm: Cause yeah Tyler is a lock to win ROY!!!:D

Kaze
10-04-2009, 12:32 AM
anyone thought of johnny flynn ? isnt he going to be getting starter minutes?

Wiz kids
10-04-2009, 12:39 AM
Jonny Flynn easily.

sofargone
10-04-2009, 12:41 AM
tyler hanzbroo

Toenail Clipper
10-04-2009, 12:46 AM
Blake Griffin; I just hope he doesn't get injured.

Raph12
10-04-2009, 12:56 AM

No one is talking about Thabeet (too raw) or Rubio (playing in Europe) for ROY considerations.

Hansbrough was solid in NC, but this is the NBA, athletic PFs are nothing new for the NBA. His career will go in whichever way he takes it, if he is aggresive in practise, earns minutes and plays well in games, he maybe considered for ROY.

My money is on Griffin, solid PF, looks like a remake of TimmyD (not saying he will be that good, but nothing is impossible, don't blow this out of proportion guys).

zambo4president
10-04-2009, 01:02 AM
Harden and Evans would be my favorite right now. Demar is still way too raw to win it. I think James Johnson will play really well but probably won't win. I guess Jennings could be considered as well.

SA5195
10-04-2009, 01:03 AM
Blake Griffin; I just hope he doesn't get injured.

Ya thats why I didn't say Griffin right away, because he's injury prone.

AI4MVP
10-04-2009, 01:22 AM
i think brandon jennings. not just because hes my favorite player and im being biased, but because he will have the most minutes out of any of the other rookies because the only other respectable point guard on the milwaukee bucks is luke ridnour

NYKnicks4511
10-04-2009, 01:51 AM
If Hansbrough wins ROY I will personally paypal you 50 bucks :P
Jennings will take it, his stat line will be along the lines of :
12-14 PPG, 6-7 APG 2 SPG while shooting in the low 40 percentile from the floor.

He'll explode a few games and will constantly be on ESPN highlight films, thus leading to the award. Tbh everyone who starts is going to have a chance.

AI4MVP
10-04-2009, 02:23 AM
If Hansbrough wins ROY I will personally paypal you 50 bucks :P
Jennings will take it, his stat line will be along the lines of :
12-14 PPG, 6-7 APG 2 SPG while shooting in the low 40 percentile from the floor.

He'll explode a few games and will constantly be on ESPN highlight films, thus leading to the award. Tbh everyone who starts is going to have a chance.

cudnt have said it better myself

nuggetsyankees
10-04-2009, 10:50 AM
Derozan, Harden, over Evans will steal it from Griffin.

Sure hope Ty Lawson gets some good playing time. Whether it'd be from AC being injured or him out performing AC.

bahama0811
10-04-2009, 10:53 AM
IMO its gonna be hard for Rubio to win it. The main reason is that he doesn't play in the NBA so he can't win it.

Rocco007
10-04-2009, 11:00 AM
Sometimes its Ok to go with the status Quo...lol

Barring any major injuries...This is Blake Griffin's award to lose...

His game will put out 20 and 8 to 10 easily with a healthy BDavis at point...

No one else can really compete with that in their first year IMO...

ballbrains
10-04-2009, 11:10 AM
It's gonna come down to griffin, Evans and derozan.
Demar already added 10lbs tipping the scale @220lbs.
Clippers have a better squad than the kings.so I say big griff.
Evans is a bad ***.

MackSnackWrap
10-04-2009, 11:28 AM
Griffin, curry, Derozan, Hnsbrough, flynn and Jennings

Nate David+ Co.
10-04-2009, 12:12 PM
Ya think that Toney Douglas will have a chance in the ROY. He'll be getting consistent minutes i bleieve.

BkOriginalOne
10-04-2009, 12:26 PM
It's going to come down to PT and numbers.
With that, I think Griffin, Jennings, or Flynn.

arlubas
10-04-2009, 02:10 PM
Tyler is most definitely a hard worker but there are quite a few rookies that have a better shot at the ROY and at a better career in general in the L. Tyler is a solid role player at best in the L.

IversonIsKrazy
10-04-2009, 03:02 PM
Right now, i like Griffin and Flynn.

vash9
10-04-2009, 03:19 PM
wouldn't be surprised if DeMar DeRozan won it.

arlubas
10-04-2009, 03:42 PM
Terrence Williams could have a legit shot at it if he gets significant minutes in NJ (which he should). The guy can ball and he was one of the best and most NBA ready players in the last draft imo. Plus he's an awesome athlete as well.

nipo10847
10-04-2009, 03:44 PM
Blake Griffin. PERIOD. he will put up 20/10 for sure. Mark my words.

smith&wesson
10-04-2009, 04:03 PM
1. griffen
2. curry
3. derozen

TheKing23
10-04-2009, 07:28 PM
It will come down to minutes... Steph Curry will be riding the pine in the bay because of Nellie's dislike of rookies.

I see it coming down to Blake Griffin (for obvious reasons), Tyreke Evans (should get the start over Beno), Brandon Jennings (Ridnour won't start and the Bucks need scoring... His shot selection could be his only downfall) and James Harden (most NBA ready player out of the draft in my opinion).

It's gonna be interesting seeing some of these rookies though... Johnny Flynn, Demar DeRozan, Jordan Hill, Terrence Williams, Jrue Holiday etc.

jakesmail123
10-04-2009, 09:08 PM
1. Blake Griffin
2. Tyreke Evans
3. Brandon Jennings

but who knows...