PDA

View Full Version : As of today, how many current centers would you take over Shaq?

King P
10-02-2009, 04:21 PM
First of all, let me start off by staying that Shaq is one of the greatest Centers of all-time. Top 5 without a doubt. However, I do have a problem with people saying he will make the All-Star Team, and I have a problem with people still putting him as an elite center when honestly he really isn't anymore. Shaq is basically living off of his name. As of today, here are the Centers I would take over Shaq:

Dwight Howard
Brook Lopez
Brad Miller
Al Horford
Jermaine O' Neal
Yao Ming (healthy)
Marc Gasol
Emeka Okafor
Marcus Camby
Pau Gasol
Andrew Bynum
Spencer Hawkes
Al Jefferson
Mehmet Okur

Like I stated before, Shaq is one of the greatest Centers of all time. But why do you act like he is still at an elite level and that he is still a superstar? I mean people are already booking him a spot on this year's All-Star team before the season even started. He is basically living off of his name. I guarentee if he wasn't Shaq, you wouldnt put him at such a high level.

abe_froman
10-02-2009, 04:34 PM
first its hawes,and i wouldnt take him over the c i got....jno,really???

but yes i'd take shaq over hawes,jno,miller,marc,okur,camby

knickfan4life
10-02-2009, 04:38 PM
First of all, let me start off by staying that Shaq is one of the greatest Centers of all-time. Top 5 without a doubt. However, I do have a problem with people saying he will make the All-Star Team, and I have a problem with people still putting him as an elite center when honestly he really isn't anymore. Shaq is basically living off of his name. As of today, here are the Centers I would take over Shaq:

Dwight Howard
Brook Lopez
Brad Miller
Al Horford
Jermaine O' Neal
Yao Ming (healthy)
Marc Gasol
Emeka Okafor
Marcus Camby
Pau Gasol
Andrew Bynum
Spencer Hawkes
Al Jefferson
Mehmet Okur

Like I stated before, Shaq is one of the greatest Centers of all time. But why do you act like he is still at an elite level and that he is still a superstar? I mean people are already booking him a spot on this year's All-Star team before the season even started. He is basically living off of his name. I guarentee if he wasn't Shaq, you wouldnt put him at such a high level.

Dwight Howard... okay ill take him over shaq
Brook Lopez... shaqs better than him now, but for future purposes yes
Brad Miller... NO WAY
Al Horford... not a center ******
Jermaine O' Neal.... not a center ******
Yao Ming (healthy)... THE BEST CENTER IN THE GAME TODAY I WOULD TAKE HIM OVER DWIGHT TODAY FOR THE NYK!!!!!!!
Marc Gasol... NOPE
Emeka Okafor... BUST
Marcus Camby... NOPE
Pau Gasol... PF
Andrew Bynum... fluke
Spencer Hawkes... WHO?
Al Jefferson... ehhhhhh... maybe
Mehmet Okur... HELLL NA... hes a fat overweight wobbly pf

abe_froman
10-02-2009, 04:41 PM
Brad Miller... NO WAY
Yao Ming (healthy)... THE BEST CENTER IN THE GAME TODAY I WOULD TAKE HIM OVER DWIGHT TODAY FOR THE NYK!!!!!!!
Marc Gasol... NOPE
Emeka Okafor... BUST
Marcus Camby... NOPE
Pau Gasol... PF
Andrew Bynum... fluke
Spencer Hawkes... WHO?

al horford started most his games has c...******
pau also spend most his career and even most of last year as a c

PHX2daDEATH
10-02-2009, 04:43 PM
Shaq ressurected his Career with Phoenix the last year and a half.. He and a 36 year old Grant Hill were the Suns MVP's.. He was easily a top 5 center in the league.. (If you dont count Gasol and Jefferson as centers) he might of the been the best.. 60 FG % was something he'd only done in his career twice.. almost 18 points. I dont expect him to get that much with the Cavs this year but if he stays healthy, there isnt anybody on your list that can defend him in the post..

Litchris12
10-02-2009, 04:48 PM
first if all shaq till this day is an antimidated force to be wreckon with. besides howard and yao ming who else can draw doble teams like that.

jeff86
10-02-2009, 04:48 PM
wow terrible list

how do you even forget nene whos better then most of those guys on that list

PHX2daDEATH
10-02-2009, 04:51 PM
I wouldnt call Emeka a bust yet..I say he Paul makes him into an All-star

Pierzynski4Prez
lol at spencer hawes being on that list.

JermanJaysFan
Shaq played 75 games last year. 30 minutes per game, he put up 17.8 points per (ON 60.1% SHOOTING), with 8.4 boards, a block and a half and defended the centre spot and brought any kind of on court intangible that you want from your 5 (and by that I mean intimidation etc.- the kind of thing that centres like Okur and Hawes don't have). I think that rates him as still an elite centre.

So

As of today (and I take that to mean strictly with today's considerations in mind- I'll take Shaq over Horford right now, but I wouldn't long term) the only 5s that I would take over Shaq are:

Dwight
Healthy Yao
Pau Gasol

Thats it. The numbers don't lie- Shaq has got enough of what he had to be one of the best (and possibly the "truest") centre in the league. And you notice that I left Jefferson off the list- he's not a five in my mind. And I barely put Gasol there for the same reason.

-Kobe24-TJ19-
10-02-2009, 04:52 PM
another failed thread

MackSnackWrap
10-02-2009, 04:52 PM

Dwight Howard
Brook Lopez
Brad Miller
Al Horford
Jermaine O' Neal
Yao Ming (healthy)
Marc Gasol
Emeka Okafor
Marcus Camby
Pau Gasol
Andrew Bynum
Spencer Hawkes
Al Jefferson
Mehmet Okur

I wouldnt take the centers i bolded over shaq, gasols a pf

ManRam
10-02-2009, 04:53 PM
Dwight Howard
Brook Lopez
Brad Miller
Al Horford
Jermaine O' Neal
Yao Ming (healthy)
Marc Gasol
Emeka Okafor
Marcus Camby
Pau Gasol
Andrew Bynum
Spencer Hawkes
Al Jefferson
Mehmet Okur

Half those guys aren't centers.

I'd take Yao, Dwight, Al Jeff (PF/C) and Brook ahead of him. (Pau is a PF). The rest wont have nearly as big of an impact on a game as Shaq. He isn't the Shaq of old, not even close. But he is still a force.

He's gonna help Cleveland a lot...especially against Orlando. They had no one to contain Dwight (and Boston and LA showed you can stop and frustrate him). Now they do.

JermanJaysFan
10-02-2009, 04:55 PM

I'd take Yao, Dwight, Al Jeff (PF/C) and Brook ahead of him. (Pau is a PF). The rest wont have nearly as big of an impact on a game as Shaq. He isn't the Shaq of old, not even close. But he is still a force.

He's gonna help Cleveland a lot...especially against Orlando. They had no one to contain Dwight (and Boston and LA showed you can stop and frustrate him). Now they do.

A side note- wouldn't it feel awesome to be Dwight and know that you a big part of the reason that another team made a fairly high-priced acquisition?

Lakerfan In NY
10-02-2009, 04:56 PM
Dwight Howard-yeah
Brook Lopez-Good up & coming player but right now...nah
Brad Miller-U can't be serious, he's still playing
Al Horford-Nope, undersizes
Jermaine O' Neal-He just got injuried as a was writing this. Nope
Yao Ming (healthy)-Healthy-When is that goin to be? But yeah
Marc Gasol-No
Emeka Okafor-No.
Marcus Camby. maybe w/ the right supporting cast.
Pau Gasol-Yup, but he's not a Center
Andrew Bynum-Maybe, but J. Oneal ran into him & there both injuried
Spencer Hawkes-??? YOUR KIDDING RIGHT!!!
Al Jefferson-most Likely-I can't tell if he Overrated or underrated yet.
Mehmet Okur-Nah.

abe_froman
10-02-2009, 05:07 PM

yes,because if you play pf even for a game and you log all this time and history as a c,you must be classified as a pf forever.must have forgotten that rule

randomness
10-02-2009, 05:10 PM
Dwight Howard
Al Jefferson
and maybe Brook Lopez

D Roses Bulls
10-02-2009, 05:22 PM
Brad Miller... NO WAY
Marc Gasol... NOPE
Emeka Okafor... BUST
Marcus Camby... NOPE
Pau Gasol... PF
Andrew Bynum... fluke
Spencer Hawkes... WHO?

horford is a pf but does play center quite a bit. oh and al jefferson, i dont agree with this guy on like everyone except maybe 4 of these guys, but if you wouldnt take al jeff over shaq your an idiot and dont know basketball cause al jeff is a beast.

Mavrix
10-02-2009, 05:30 PM
Centers better than Shaq NOW:

Amare Stoudemire (will play C in Phoenix)
Dwight Howard
Al Jefferson
Yao Ming
Brook Lopez
Nene
Andris Biedrins

mikantsass
10-02-2009, 05:33 PM
I'm going to asume that you mean you would rather have these guys FOR THIS SEASON ONLY. That said:

Dwight Howard- Yes I would rather have him than Shaq
Brook Lopez- No
Brad Miller- Hell No
Al Horford- No
Jermaine O' Neal- No
Yao Ming (healthy)- He's not, so No
Marc Gasol- Hell No
Emeka Okafor- No
Marcus Camby- No
Pau Gasol- Not a C on the Lakers, but No
Andrew Bynum- No
Spencer Hawkes- Hawes but still hell No
Al Jefferson- Yes
Mehmet Okur- No

You forgot Nene who is better than half of these stiffs. But i still would rather have Shaq for the upcoming season.

That makes 2 guys I'd rather have. Jefferson and Superman JR.

Giants-49ers-Ws
10-02-2009, 05:56 PM

IF just for this year:

Dwight Howard- Yes
Brook Lopez-no
Brad Miller-no
Al Horford-no
Jermaine O' Neal-no
Yao Ming (healthy)-if he was healthy; yes.
Marc Gasol-no
Emeka Okafor-ehh maybe
Marcus Camby-no
Pau Gasol-not a center
Andrew Bynum-no
Spencer Hawkes-no
Al Jefferson-yes
Mehmet Okur-no

there really aren't many good centers in the league anymore..just not the Center era...by the way where is andris biedrins on that list???

SirCalvin81
10-02-2009, 06:04 PM
dwight howard and thats it

RaiderLakersA's
10-02-2009, 06:05 PM
That all depends on the focus of your team. Shaq isn't going to be the focus your team now that he's passed his prime (if he is, your team is dead in the water) as where Yao Ming, when healthy, could be. But given the right cast of players, as evinced by the Jordan era Bulls, you can still raise cane with some of the mid-to-low tier centers that are listed. (For the few who are healthy and TRUE centers.)

lizard5781
10-02-2009, 06:38 PM
LOL, funny how Oden was not on the list. and if your going to include the likes of Pau Gasol, you may want to include Bargnani on that list. But to be honest, Howard and a healthy Yao would be the only ones i would take over Shaq daddy.

ZebraCity916
10-02-2009, 06:52 PM
Howard is the only Center I would take over Shaq. Maybe Hawes but that's a homer pick so it's not realistic. HAHA

mays217
10-02-2009, 07:02 PM
can't believe Biedrins didn't make that list

I'd take him over 3/4 of that list

JNA17
10-02-2009, 07:04 PM
I'm going to asume that you mean you would rather have these guys FOR THIS SEASON ONLY. That said:

Dwight Howard- Yes I would rather have him than Shaq
Brook Lopez- No
Brad Miller- Hell No
Al Horford- No
Jermaine O' Neal- No
Yao Ming (healthy)- He's not, so No
Marc Gasol- Hell No
Emeka Okafor- No
Marcus Camby- No
Pau Gasol- Not a C on the Lakers, but No
Andrew Bynum- No
Spencer Hawkes- Hawes but still hell No
Al Jefferson- Yes
Mehmet Okur- No

You forgot Nene who is better than half of these stiffs. But i still would rather have Shaq for the upcoming season.

That makes 2 guys I'd rather have. Jefferson and Superman JR.

:facepalm:

DODGERS&LAKERS
10-02-2009, 07:14 PM
Shaq is not worse than all those players right now. He averaged 18 points and 8.4 rebounds and 1.5 blks on 60% shooting. Half the guys on that list have never averaged that in a season. Gasol averaged almost the same exact stats last year. And thats with Shaq at the age of 36. He is still a dominant force in the middle and any team would be lucky to have him

TheKing23
10-02-2009, 07:15 PM
What an awful post, some of these guys are nothing compared to Shaq. The numbers don't do him justice (even they are better than the majority of the players you named), he brings countless double teams and is still one of the most dominant players in the league.

Dwight Howard - Yes
Brook Lopez - No, not yet
Brad Miller - :facepalm:
Al Horford - No
Jermaine O'Neal - No
Yao Ming - Healthy yes, but no when injured
Marc Gasol - No
Emeka Okafor - No
Marcus Camby - No
Pau Gasol - He's a PF
Andrew Bynum - No
Spencer Hawes - No
Al Jefferson - Yes
Mehmet Okur - No

The only other person who I would possibly take over Shaq would be Nene, who's vastly underrated.

HouRealCoach
10-02-2009, 07:16 PM

Dwight Howard
Brook Lopez
Brad Miller
Al Horford
Jermaine O' Neal
Yao Ming (healthy)
Marc Gasol
Emeka Okafor
Marcus Camby
Pau Gasol
Andrew Bynum
Spencer Hawkes
Al Jefferson
Mehmet Okur

I would only take Lopez because of his age and potential but those other guys arent better than Shaq and where is Bogut and Kaman because they are two of the leagues top centers but Spencer Hawes Really??

ZHawk1123
10-02-2009, 07:25 PM
first if all shaq till this day is an antimidated force to be wreckon with. besides howard and yao ming who else can draw doble teams like that.

:confused: ... what?

ManRam
10-02-2009, 07:26 PM
:confused: ... what?

Haha. Seriously. My brain hurts after reading that "sentence".

Red Hot Rolllin
10-02-2009, 08:16 PM
Howard, Bynum and Oden period.

I pretty sure any GM today would rank these as the best true centers to start build around, but for a one to two year window you might need to wait another year for Bynum and Oden to see if they can prove their durability. Look out for ODEN

I am leaving Bosh off just because he seems more like a 4 but deserves to be on the list.

BkOriginalOne
10-02-2009, 08:17 PM
Are you insane.
I would take Shaq over all those centers in the playoffs.
Shaq is playing off his name a little bit, but he showed he still had game winning All star MVPs and having a great year for a guy his age.

ManRam
10-02-2009, 08:19 PM
Howard, Bynum and Oden period.

I pretty sure any GM today would rank these as the best true centers to start build around, but for a one to two year window you might need to wait another year for Bynum and Oden to see if they can prove their durability. Look out for ODEN

I am leaving Bosh off just because he seems more like a 4 but deserves to be on the list.

Oden and Bynum in the future...maybe. But not now. Shaq is still better than both of them...easily.

Shaq was 18 and 8 last year...shooting 60%. He's easily better than every center not named Dwight...or Yao (but he's never healthy) or Jefferson, if he counts as a C.

The Destroya
10-02-2009, 08:34 PM
First of all, let me start off by staying that Shaq is one of the greatest Centers of all-time. Top 5 without a doubt. However, I do have a problem with people saying he will make the All-Star Team, and I have a problem with people still putting him as an elite center when honestly he really isn\\\'t anymore. Shaq is basically living off of his name. As of today, here are the Centers I would take over Shaq:

Dwight Howard- Not a question I would.
Brook Lopez- yes
Brad Miller- maybe
Al Horford- Yes
Jermaine O\\\' Neal- No
Yao Ming (healthy)- If healthy yes
Marc Gasol- Where did this come from? No
Emeka Okafor- Nope. Huge Bust
Marcus Camby- Yes
Pau Gasol- He is a PF
Andrew Bynum- Yes
Spencer Hawkes-
Al Jefferson-
Mehmet Okur-

Like I stated before, Shaq is one of the greatest Centers of all time. But why do you act like he is still at an elite level and that he is still a superstar? I mean people are already booking him a spot on this year\\\'s All-Star team before the season even started. He is basically living off of his name. I guarentee if he wasn\\\'t Shaq, you wouldnt put him at such a high level.

Brook Lopez- yes
Brad Miller- maybe
Al Horford- Yes
Jermaine O\\\' Neal- No
Marcus Camby- Yes
Pau Gasol- He is a PF
Andrew Bynum- Yes
Spencer Hawkes- Yes
Al Jefferson- Yes by far
Mehmet Okur- No

stawka
10-02-2009, 08:42 PM
For one season - Yao, Shaq, MAYBE Al-Jeff. The rest are either power forwards or not in his league

whitekimbo
10-02-2009, 08:45 PM
Brad Miller... NO WAY
Marc Gasol... NOPE
Emeka Okafor... BUST
Marcus Camby... NOPE
Pau Gasol... PF
Andrew Bynum... fluke
Spencer Hawkes... WHO?

u must be asian...

ChiSox219
10-02-2009, 09:06 PM

True, Bosh played twice as many minutes at Center as he did at Pf

TheKing23
10-02-2009, 09:09 PM
Brook Lopez- yes
Brad Miller- maybe
Al Horford- Yes
Jermaine O\\\' Neal- No
Marcus Camby- Yes
Pau Gasol- He is a PF
Andrew Bynum- Yes
Spencer Hawkes- Yes
Al Jefferson- Yes by far
Mehmet Okur- No

:facepalm: You would "maybe" take Brad Miller over Shaq... Are you mad?? Can I have some of what your smoking :smoking:

You would take Spencer Hawes over Shaq...

Have you read the thread title... "As of today, how many current centers would you take over Shaq", Shaq is a better player than everyone on that list apart from Dwight, Yao (when healthy) and Al Jeff (even though he's a PF playing C).

It's not even close after those guys...

BkOriginalOne
10-02-2009, 09:18 PM
The only centers you can make a case for are Howard or Yao (healthy). And maybe Al Jefferson, depending on how good he looks this year.
Other than that, I would not take any of those other guys over Shaq, especially in the playoffs.

MrFastBreak
10-02-2009, 10:02 PM
The only centers you can make a case for are Howard or Yao (healthy). And maybe Al Jefferson, depending on how good he looks this year.
Other than that, I would not take any of those other guys over Shaq, especially in the playoffs.

Yup, that's my answer right there.

xxxplicit69
10-02-2009, 10:26 PM
centers i would take over shaq

1. dwight howard (though shaq would have showed up better against L.A.)
2. Yao (if healthy cuz of his jumper and ability to hit FTs, he's not a liability in the 4qrt)
3. Al Jefferson (puts up big numbers in the paint)

Brook is nice but too young and Shaq would still eat him up in the paint, same goes for Marc Gasol.

Horford, Pao Gasol, Okafor, J.O.,Amare, Duncan-those players are Pfs playing C cuz there teams just try to have the best players on the court, but 1 on 1 shaq would dominate them in the paint.
plus J.O. and emeka are fragile.

Bynum-too soft, akward, young Shaq would eat bynum, even to this day.
Miller-too finesse and mostly an outside shooter, has nothing for shaq in the paint
same goes for Okur

even for howard, he doenst have the moves or size as shaq but tries to play the same way, it's effective against other centers cuz most centers in today's league are really PFs or overseas Centers that are fundamental but too soft. but against shaq that wouldnt work forget the "one" time shaq flopped and howard dunked it, throught out a whole game that wouldnt happen, howard cant out muscle the real superman.

and with yao, shaq got the best of him too.

al jeff is just 6'11 and he is about 270 but that is not enough weight to move shaq around. and he doesnt have enough outside game to bring shaq out the paint.

i know shaq is older but he played well last yr, and is now teaming up with lebron so you cant really double team shaq anymore. and there are no Cs in todays league that can physically match up with shaq. the only person that can stop shaq is shaq.

nipo10847
10-02-2009, 10:33 PM
There's no one in the league to defend Shaq even today. He shoot more than 60% last year and he is 36. U gotta b kidding me with this list..I would only prefer D Howard over shaq. Shaq is the MDE. He will alwayz be an unstopable low post force in the league till he is retired. Period.

Illuminati999
10-02-2009, 10:33 PM
Brad Miller... NO WAY
Marc Gasol... NOPE
Emeka Okafor... BUST
Marcus Camby... NOPE
Pau Gasol... PF
Andrew Bynum... fluke
Spencer Hawkes... WHO?

Maybe???!!

Raph12
10-02-2009, 11:09 PM

Dwight Howard
Brook Lopez
Brad Miller
Al Horford
Jermaine O' Neal
Yao Ming (healthy)
Marc Gasol
Emeka Okafor
Marcus Camby
Pau Gasol
Andrew Bynum
Spencer Hawkes
Al Jefferson
Mehmet Okur

My List:
Dwight Howard
Yao Ming (if he can bounce back)
Al Jefferson
Brook Lopez
Al Horford
Marc Gasol
Emeka Okafor
Andrew Bynum
Spencer Hawes