PDA

View Full Version : Celtics Hang Another Banner From the Rafters, But Itís Blank!

JordansBulls
10-01-2009, 11:59 PM
Source: Hoopsdoctors (http://thehoopdoctors.com/online2/2009/10/celtics-hang-another-banner-from-the-rafters-but-its-blank/)

The Celtics are so confident about the Ď09-í10 season that when you look up into the rafters, you will see 17 banners representing the teamís 17 NBA titles. But during Bostonís media day recently, everyone in attendance noticed a blank 18th banner hanging next to their Ď08 Championship banner. Apparently this Celticís squad is a very confident bunch that hope to be adding some letters and numbers to that banner reading ď2010 NBA Champions.Ē When head coach Doc Rivers was asked about the blank banner, he replied,ĒIt was Red Auerbachís ideaď, referring to the now deceased Boston coaching legend.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=V-0pXFk5C9c

Toenail Clipper
10-02-2009, 12:05 AM
Yeah right.
You swear these retirees can compete with LeBron

Raph12
10-02-2009, 12:13 AM
****ing Celtics are so damn arrogant, it pisses you off.

I lose more and more respect for these guys as the years go by.

69centers
10-02-2009, 12:21 AM
Calm down, it's just motivation for the players. It's on a wall in their training facility and not hanging from the Garden rafters.

st3voness
10-02-2009, 12:21 AM
This doesn't necessarily offend me as a fan that isn't with the Boston Celtics.

They just added more pressure to themselves to win it all this year. If they want to do that to themselves, it's cool with me.

Overconfidence can be a refreshing thing sometimes.

clutchski
10-02-2009, 12:24 AM
If they wanna do that, go ahead..just puts a hell of a lot more pressure on them to fill that blank banner. If they don't it's one of those events where they look a bit like idiots.

Kohaku
10-02-2009, 12:36 AM

Jeez what's up with you.

Raph12
10-02-2009, 12:36 AM
Calm down, it's just motivation for the players. It's on a wall in their training facility and not hanging from the Garden rafters.

Garnett has already guaranteed Danny Ainge the next two titles, if that's not arrogance idk what is. I love watching Boston play, but hate the personality of the team.

Trouble87
10-02-2009, 01:07 AM
no offense to Red but that blank banner is/was a horrible idea

Raph12
10-02-2009, 01:11 AM

Lol the Red thing was a jk, Red Auerbach is dead.

It was the players, coaching staff and mgmt that came up with that bright idea.

ko8e24
10-02-2009, 01:12 AM

lol, u so naive bro

ko8e24
10-02-2009, 01:56 AM
surprised that this thread died down so quickly

AsiandudePH
10-02-2009, 02:23 AM
I think it's great idea. Sometimes players tend to forget what they SHOULD be playing for. That would keep them in check and remind them that their mission is to win the NBA championship. I don't think they're trying to be arrogant at all.

ZebraCity916
10-02-2009, 02:40 AM
Nothing wrong with motivation. Kinda cocky but I see it as more motivation than cockiness.

TheDiggler
10-02-2009, 05:44 AM
I think the idea is ********.

junion
10-02-2009, 06:48 AM
they SHOULD do this... and they should put it up in the stands... if they win, fill it out... but if they lose.. they keep that BLANK banner up for the rest of the organization's history. (or fill it out with the team that actually does win)

ShakeN'Bake
10-02-2009, 07:41 AM
Ya this seems pretty stupid to me.

magichatnumber9
10-02-2009, 07:42 AM
Garnett has already guaranteed Danny Ainge the next two titles, if that's not arrogance idk what is. I love watching Boston play, but hate the personality of the team.
Calm down man it's not arrogance its confidence. You have to aim high if you want achieve big things in life.

Lakerfan In NY
10-02-2009, 08:57 AM
Calm down man it's not arrogance its confidence. You have to aim high if you want achieve big things in life.

There's a fine line between arrogance & confidence & they crossed it...I just hope when they have to take that blank banner down after the season, that they won't continue to use that same weak excuse why they didn't win. Or maybe they are so confident that they will leave it up until they get one...in another 20yr or so.

69centers
10-02-2009, 09:07 AM
There's a fine line between arrogance & confidence & they crossed it...I just hope when they have to take that blank banner down after the season, that they won't continue to use that same weak excuse why they didn't win. Or maybe they are so confident that they will leave it up until they get one...in another 20yr or so.

You're right, they will be taking it down at the end of the year ... when they add the "2009-2010 NBA Champions" lettering to it and hoist it up in the real rafters. :rock:

lil'papi
10-02-2009, 09:13 AM
A blank banner is arrogance? Please explain.

Hate to break this to anyone , but every team does the same thing using differing ways to do it. If your teams goal isn't the title then you need a new team.

How is it idiotic if they don't win the title? Sounds like a goal to reach.

69centers
10-02-2009, 09:15 AM
A blank banner is arrogance? Please explain.

Hate to break this to anyone , but every team does the same thing using differing ways to do it. If your teams goal isn't the title then you need a new team.

How is it idiotic if they don't win the title? Sounds like a goal to reach.

Hey lets shoot for third place.....sound like a knicks fan.

Exactly right. What do people expect a team to put up a banner that lists them in 4th place in their division, and get everyone to do some fist pumps to it??

mikantsass
10-02-2009, 09:18 AM
Why is this a big deal? Every team should strive for that banner. What is the point of playing the game??

Wilson
10-02-2009, 09:25 AM
Haha. I would find this pretty cool if I was a Celtics fan ( :puke: ), nothing wrong with a few cocky teams.

mitch91
10-02-2009, 09:29 AM
haha that is quite arrogant imo but i got a kick out of it, cuz some people willg et really pissed off at it

Super.
10-02-2009, 10:00 AM
Its just motovation for the players. I dont understand what the big deal about this is.

ughh thanks for seeing my thread of this in the Celtics Forum JB....if i wanted to post this in here i would have.

king4day
10-02-2009, 10:06 AM
I'm actually laughing at those upset by this. It's like they feel their teams title chances have been threatened.
Like someone said, it's just used as motivation. If you're so upset, then think of the other side of the spectrum where if they DON'T win, then they'll be embarrassed by it.

mjt20mik
10-02-2009, 10:15 AM
Now wouldn't it suck if they lost. I understand its used for motivation, but making it public isn't so much a great idea.

sep11ie
10-02-2009, 11:01 AM
Honestly, I never used to hate the Celtics, but since they got Garnett, they turned into a childish, arrogant, dirty team. These antics don't surprise me.

bigsams50
10-02-2009, 11:04 AM
Its just motovation for the players. I dont understand what the big deal about this is.

ughh thanks for seeing my thread of this in the Celtics Forum JB....if i wanted to post this in here i would have.

but whats the fun in that? now jb can watch people call pierce and the celtics stupid.

As long as it's celtics hate he's gonna post it

bostncelts34
10-02-2009, 11:27 AM
God i love how a team who is trying to motivate their players, in their OWN training facility is getting bashed. Who cares if Garnett told Ainge he promised 2 titles? Shouldn't every player do that? Motivate yourself to succeed and you a higher chance of doing it.

MJ-BULLS
10-02-2009, 11:32 AM
Now wouldn't it suck if they lost. I understand its used for motivation, but making it public isn't so much a great idea.

agree, they should of kept it to them selves, and i know its for motivation but then again thats how the celtics are there fun to see, but ignorant :D

CraigtheSoxFan
10-02-2009, 11:42 AM
agree, they should of kept it to them selves, and i know its for motivation but then again thats how the celtics are there fun to see, but ignorant :D
:facepalm: to you

Lakerfan In NY
10-02-2009, 11:54 AM
You're right, they will be taking it down at the end of the year ... when they add the "2009-2010 NBA Champions" lettering to it and hoist it up in the real rafters. :rock:

Yes, the Celtics. When the Lakers win 8 titles in a row, come back and talk then ... oops, guess I won't be seeing you ever again. In fact, no team in any sport has done it except the Celtics.

Lakers vs. Celtics head to head in the NBA Finals (all time):

Celtics 40 wins, Lakers 27
Celtics 9 championships, Lakers 2

Yah, it's clear who's more dominant. Oh, and Bill Russell never lost to the Lakers in the Finals.

:laugh::laugh::laugh:It's always so funny to heard you Celtics fan talk about your championships won in the 50's-60's... You guys were w/o question the best team when the NBA was at it's WORST...

you have 17 title 9 in a round...dominating the 50's & 60's & we have 15...but we only beat you twice? So where were the great Celtics as we caught up?That's right you were home watching...b/c past the weak NBA era your record is:

1970-til now:

Celtics 6 Championship Lakers 10 soon to be 11.:clap:

Oh yeah the last time the Celtics won a Champioship then Lakers...The Lakers won again...& you guys fell into obscurity :(... So I wouldn't put in that order just yet unless you can wait another 22 yr to get one :speechless:

Mile High Champ
10-02-2009, 12:11 PM
haha you think this was KG's Idea? Whatever talk is cheap, I dont see the celtics back in the championship this year...

TragicallyHip
10-02-2009, 12:14 PM

source? I'd like to read that article.

ko8e24
10-02-2009, 12:32 PM
:laugh::laugh::laugh:It's always so funny to heard you Celtics fan talk about your championships won in the 50's-60's... You guys were w/o question the best team when the NBA was at it's WORST...

you have 17 title 9 in a round...dominating the 50's & 60's & we have 15...but we only beat you twice? So where were the great Celtics as we caught up?That's right you were home watching...b/c past the weak NBA era your record is:

1970-til now:

Celtics 6 Championship Lakers 10 soon to be 11.:clap:

Oh yeah the last time the Celtics won a Champioship then Lakers...The Lakers won again...& you guys fell into obscurity :(... So I wouldn't put in that order just yet unless you can wait another 22 yr to get one :speechless:

Coma is the best word to use for that.

JNA17
10-02-2009, 01:24 PM
i like it. Now the celtics will get embarrassed when they lose in the playoffs and end up taking it down.

Strumpy
10-02-2009, 01:32 PM
Honestly, I never used to hate the Celtics, but since they got Garnett, they turned into a childish, arrogant, dirty team. These antics don't surprise me.

Childish? Well they are playing a childern's game after all :eyebrow:.

J4KOP99
10-02-2009, 01:34 PM
I don't see the problem here. It's not like they put this up in their actual arena. This is hanging in their practice facility as a use of motivation for the players.

You guys are using this as a way to jump on the Celtics for things not connected to the topic at hand. As a Lakers fan I do not care much for the celtics but this idea of hanging a blank banner up at their practice facility is not that big of a deal.

kriviant
10-02-2009, 01:45 PM
Oh those funny Celtic's. Personally I think it's stupid. I believe in getting hyped up for the championship and what not, but keep it to yourself. At most all their doing is jinxing themselves, and possibly pissing off other teams when they go in there and see that blank banner.'

Hopefully some sort of 'cubs-like' curse develops for the Celtics and they never win a championship again. We could only hope.

meltbakins
10-02-2009, 01:52 PM
why are the celtics going to hang the lakers 2010 banner

iggypop123
10-02-2009, 01:59 PM
its not a big deal but considering the celtics have reputation as arrogant guys see pierce kg, this just adds to the mystique of guys who do alot of talking and being cocky

69centers
10-02-2009, 02:05 PM
Oh those funny Celtic's. Personally I think it's stupid. I believe in getting hyped up for the championship and what not, but keep it to yourself. At most all their doing is jinxing themselves, and possibly pissing off other teams when they go in there and see that blank banner.'

Hopefully some sort of 'cubs-like' curse develops for the Celtics and they never win a championship again. We could only hope.

You need to read posts. It's hanging in their training facility in Waltham, MA. Unless some other teams are going to come practice there, because they love Celtic facilities, no team is going to see it.

I don't see the problem here. It's not like they put this up in their actual arena. This is hanging in their practice facility as a use of motivation for the players.

You guys are using this as a way to jump on the Celtics for things not connected to the topic at hand. As a Lakers fan I do not care much for the celtics but this idea of hanging a blank banner up at their practice facility is not that big of a deal.

Yay, a cool and smart Lakers fan in what's basically a Celtics bashing thread.

op12
10-02-2009, 02:24 PM
Coma is the best word to use for that.

you guys love to talk about those 22 years. we werent that bad in the early 2000s. and you guys that are too young never acknowledge that 2 star players died and set the franchise back for at least a decade. let it go.

the banner is fine, it is just motivation. if the lakers did it they would be praised for how focused kobe is.

op12
10-02-2009, 02:26 PM

do a lot of teams go to their practice facility?

Storch
10-02-2009, 02:26 PM
cocky.

BTownTeamsRKing
10-02-2009, 02:33 PM
anyone who has ever taken a management or strategic business class understands this.

listen, we aren't the ones hanging DIVISION BANNERS. those have no use in Boston for ANY of our teams. The Patriots and Celtics don't even acknowledge conference titles. (16-0 is amazing and deserves to be there because well no one else has ever done it, not to mention the difficutly of FAs and "any given sunday".)

look at the Celtics roster. analyze it and tell me they should be aiming for anything lower than a championship.

Rondo - improving year drastically and is expected to be paid b/w 10 and 15 mil. meaning All Star.
Ray, Pierce, KG. u know their work.
Perkins - with KG out, became a dominant defensive force holding down Superman to modest numbers.

Eddie House - has the ability to come off the bench and land a few treys instantly.
Marquis Daniels - this guy off the bench to give Pierce and Allen a break? wow what a luxury.
Rasheed Wallace - imagine having to cover Pierce's and Rondo's slashing to the hole, Ray getting open for 3, or KG in the post and oh yea Rasheed Wallace is just standing there waiting to drain a devastating late game trey like hes done his whole career.

and last but certainly not least, Big Baby Glen Davis - we all saw his developement last year. He was clutch and improved his jump shot dramaitcally and should continue to play good defense and of course use that wide body to rebound.

This team is STACKED. Expectations should be high.

"if u aint first, your last!"

NickyNick
10-02-2009, 02:37 PM
if any other team did this do you think there would be a thread about it??? nope!

hate=jealousy

BTownTeamsRKing
10-02-2009, 02:40 PM
its not a big deal but considering the celtics have reputation as arrogant guys see pierce kg, this just adds to the mystique of guys who do alot of talking and being cocky

95% of psd posters do not know the meaning of arrogant and cocky.

arrogant/cocky = cavs last year.
confident = Celtics 2008, Lakers 2009

the difference is that confident people talk (or dont talk), but come up big when it matters. AKA CHAMPIONSHIPS.

its not arrogance when you know you have the ability to do it. Arrogance is talking like you are better than everyone and in reality having nothing to back that tough talk up.

trust me, i know. i do both. we all do.

sep11ie
10-02-2009, 02:58 PM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FASClJTnJ4I

nuff said

Cassidy28
10-02-2009, 03:05 PM
I'm not mad I'm fine with it :D

Kevj77
10-02-2009, 03:10 PM
Who cares? I'm a Lakers fan and this doesn't bother me at all. It's probably just a reminder that anything less then a championship in Boston will be a failed season. The Lakers are the same way, it's championship or bust.

SirCarlton
10-02-2009, 03:19 PM
OMGZZZZZ SRSLY!?!?!?!?so thread worthy

BoltLakerPadre
10-02-2009, 03:33 PM

They still hung it up where everyone could see it on media day.

So I wonder, after not winning the title this year, and realizing their old, over the hill team won't be winning anytime soon, will they take the banner down in the off season? You'd sure have to feel sheepish doing that.

Man would I LOVE to be the person who got that blank banner, it would be so great to keep at a memento of arrogance.

JDizzle
10-02-2009, 03:48 PM
Lets be real tho. Celtics with Kg in the playoffs last year They probably go on to win back to back i see them easily blowing out any team in the east this year.

Storch
10-02-2009, 04:02 PM
It kind of defeats the whole purpose in the tradition of hanging up a banner AFTER you win (even if its a blank banner). If I was a player in boston I would rather remind everyone every time we step on the court that we're in this to win the championship, rather than hang a blank banner. :shrug:

theuuord
10-02-2009, 04:09 PM
lmao, again JB posts a misleading headline to ruffle feathers & garner posts/views.

shocking.

bigsams50
10-02-2009, 04:11 PM
lmao, again JB posts a misleading headline to ruffle feathers & garner posts/views.

shocking.

i know, he either posts a celtic hate thread, or a derrick rose comparison thread.

J4KOP99
10-02-2009, 04:13 PM
i know, he either posts a celtic hate thread, or a derrick rose comparison thread.

And you guys continue to contribute to them.

theuuord
10-02-2009, 04:14 PM

not just those two. basically any title that'll get people to look at/post in threads.

like when he made that thread that said in the headline devin harris had been offered for the #2 pick when it was obviously untrue - the article he quoted didn't even say that. he refused to change it even though i (and others) asked him multiple times to stop posting lies.

oh, well. i hope that stake is worth his dignity.

theuuord
10-02-2009, 04:14 PM
And you guys continue to contribute to them.

i try to stay out, but sometimes it catches me anyway.

GHOSTSNIPER
10-02-2009, 04:22 PM
They aren't even gonna get a chance to play for the trophy...

8kobe24
10-02-2009, 04:36 PM
This is about as arrogant a team can get. Who knows, maybe they get to fill out the blank banners with "09-10 division champs", lol.

Raps18-19 Champ
10-02-2009, 04:38 PM
I'm gonna T-Bag a Celtics team picture when they lose in the playoffs.

MackSnackWrap
10-02-2009, 04:59 PM
Celtics aint winning shyyt LMFAO no mateer how many blank banners they put

azkarraga
10-02-2009, 05:13 PM
It's the kind of idea that haunts you in the offseason...

sep11ie
10-02-2009, 05:28 PM
They aren't even gonna get a chance to play for the trophy...

Chuck Norris would eat JCVD for lunch!