PDA

View Full Version : Is blaming the Referees for a loss acceptable?

twoearl
10-01-2009, 11:36 PM
Besides the obvious Tom Donahugy jokes, is blaming the refs for a loss really a valid argument? I bring this up because I sometimes hear about how Dallas was robbed of a ring by the refs in 06, Game 6 of the Sacramento & LA series etc., the list goes on and on.

I think refs for the most part get 90% of the calls right. We dont make a big fuss when they get a call right, but we want to have the guy fired if he misses a travel or doesn't see an illegal pick! lol Refs are human, they are going to make mistakes, especially since a lot of calls are subjective but I have yet to see a game be decided by this or that call. Throughout the course of a game each team gets some good and bad calls.

Ultimately I think talent wins games not refs. I think players, coaches and fans use refs are a means to over shadow when their teams were outplayed.

sofargone
10-01-2009, 11:37 PM
if they blow a call in a really close game with like a minute left then yeah i think so

Shady66
10-01-2009, 11:38 PM
Sometimes it is, sometimes its exagerated.

its acceptable in the lakers vs kings

and a few other examples

ManRam
10-01-2009, 11:43 PM
It's acceptable about 3% of the time fans whine about it.

There is more whining in this forum about refs than there is anything else when the playoffs are underway. It's ridiculous. It's the easiest thing for a fan to point to. It's also probably the last thing a fan should point to.

Refs are human. They can't get everything right. But if you watched with a NON BIAS eye, you'll see that 90-99% of the time, refs call an even game...maybe not a good game, but it's usually always even.

ZebraCity916
10-01-2009, 11:48 PM
if they blow a call in a really close game with like a minute left then yeah i think so

This.

twoearl
10-01-2009, 11:54 PM
I dont agree with the blown call with like a minute left argument. The beginning of a game is just as important as the end. I dont think we should give more attention to the end just because that is the most exciting part. A call made in the first quarter has just as much importance as a called made in overtime.

Raph12
10-02-2009, 12:10 AM
In close games on a clearly blown call, yes.

Ie: Sacremento vs LA Game 6
I know Kings fans that are still crying about this game.

ManRam
10-02-2009, 12:15 AM
I dont agree with the blown call with like a minute left argument. The beginning of a game is just as important as the end. I dont think we should give more attention to the end just because that is the most exciting part. A call made in the first quarter has just as much importance as a called made in overtime.

I'm in the same boat with you. Ultimately, a made basket here, a missed basket there, or turnover, or whatever is just as significant as a missed call.

Blaming the refs is just the easy way out. Ultimately, the team just needs to look in the mirror to see who to assign blame to. Don't allow the game to be close. Don't leave it in the hands of the officials, who have the hardest job on the court, especially since we fans can see every play from 19 different angles and 20 different speeds.

Unless it's game 6 Kings vs. Lakers...that's the exception. That was a long stretch of blatantly missed calls.

Ironman5219
10-02-2009, 12:21 AM
Yes, honestly star players get treated differently than other players... touch fouls drive me nuts! Yet they are only called if you last name is James or Bryant. I agree a lot of ref blame is from fans looking for excusses for their team losing, but there have been cases in the the last second were a call or no call or BAD call influenced the game. All I would like to see is a fair game called regardless of the players last name.

ChiSox219
10-02-2009, 12:26 AM
No excuses, play like a champion.

If a ref blows a call in a close game, I shouldve played harder to build a larger lead.

BkOriginalOne
10-02-2009, 12:49 AM
Reffing Mistakes are going to happen, since the Referees are Human. So it is a question that is constantly on the table. In some cases, Refs do blow games (Carmelo Anthony's 3pt in GM4 VS MAVS).
I think if it does happen in extreme cases, then a blame is in order.

49ERS LEGACY530
10-02-2009, 12:53 AM
In close games on a clearly blown call, yes.

Ie: Sacremento vs LA Game 6
I know Kings fans that are still crying about this game.

AS WE HAVE EVERY REASON TO:cry:

GoatMilk
10-02-2009, 01:29 AM
oh boy

this year has potential to be the biggest cry fest with all these new refs

Lakersfan2483
10-02-2009, 01:51 AM
Sometimes it's fair to blame the refs for a loss, especially when they have so much influence on the outcome of a game. (See the Chargers vs Broncos last season)

aNYer
10-02-2009, 01:55 AM
Yes, honestly star players get treated differently than other players... touch fouls drive me nuts! Yet they are only called if you last name is James or Bryant. I agree a lot of ref blame is from fans looking for excusses for their team losing, but there have been cases in the the last second were a call or no call or BAD call influenced the game. All I would like to see is a fair game called regardless of the players last name.

exactly. The league knows certain refs are not equal with everyone or every team which does change the game, then you add that to the fact that they change they way they call a game late and home team calls,and it becomes a human not playing the game altering the game consistently. I don't want a perfect robot (I would take one if it was an option) I just want a consistent, equal, non partisan ref. And I think thats rare in most important games.

shen
10-02-2009, 11:54 AM
Most the time not really as team should not put it's self in a situation were the ref making a bad call looses the game. However In the instance were it is repeated bad cal after bad call again after bad call then need to send that ref for more training. Though ref's making loads of bad call's is not near as common as people make it sound after game's it does still happen.

twoearl
10-02-2009, 11:54 AM
No excuses, play like a champion.

If a ref blows a call in a close game, I shouldve played harder to build a larger lead.

I agree 100%! Ref are humans just like everyone else they are NOT perfect. There WILL be missed calls you just have to accept that. It's on the players to not allow the game to come down to the refs.

twoearl
10-02-2009, 11:56 AM
its funny that the losing team is always the ones who feel the were "cheated" by the refs LOL

Chronz
10-02-2009, 12:06 PM
Never, unless your a homer

sep11ie
10-02-2009, 12:37 PM
In the NBA, YES!

mikantsass
10-02-2009, 02:49 PM
95% of the time, Refs dont have anything to do with the outcome of games. There are the rare 5% however with blown calls in close games. I'd definately say that refs have the biggest impact on the outcome of games than in football and baseball (Hockey too if you want to count that).

PBG
10-02-2009, 03:06 PM
its funny that the losing team is always the ones who feel the were "cheated" by the refs LOL

:facepalm:

Kyle N.
10-02-2009, 03:10 PM
The refs have tons of power that can decide the outcome of a game. That's just how the sport is. They can call a bunch of early fouls on a guy which can change entirely how he approaches the rest of the game, thereby possibly "deciding" it early on. If the refs just reffed consistently, there would be no problem. If a guy gets a 3 in the key call during the last 10 seconds of a tied game, that's not deciding it, because he was actually in the key for 3 seconds. Not that it would ever be called in that situation. Why? Because the rulebook gets thrown out when the game is on the line.

iggypop123
10-02-2009, 04:05 PM
it depends sometimes it can be one call or many. if its a style the refs are allowing nothing can be argued its just not to your teams liking but something obvious yes. 18-0 orlando ft that could be worth a comment of argument. celtics game 2 of finals maybe too. but when its a close game and its 1 call not really

bigsams50
10-02-2009, 04:27 PM
^ or like that lakers kings series

ManRam
10-02-2009, 05:00 PM
Never, unless your a homer

Ding ding ding. WINNER!

That's really all it is. A bias eye very, very rarely whines about officiating. A bias eye whines every game...they can't see the good and the bad, they just notice the bad.

Chronz
10-02-2009, 07:18 PM
I forgot to add or drunk to the end of that phrase

sofargone
10-02-2009, 07:34 PM

why would the winning team feel cheated if they won? No **** its the loser who feels cheated

jimbobjarree
10-02-2009, 09:07 PM
depends how bad they were, I can sympathize with people that do though, especialy after experiences mainly in soccer

MackSnackWrap
10-02-2009, 09:24 PM
In many situations it is but sometimes people jus exaggerate and blow it out of proportion it jus depends on the situation

BlinkManJan02
10-02-2009, 09:40 PM
definitely if the circumstances are right, especially in the NFL.

b2ball23
10-02-2009, 09:44 PM
If it's tha BULLS VS CELTIC'S Series of last season.... YES! Cause we got robbed by officials.

iggypop123
10-02-2009, 10:02 PM
why would the winning team feel cheated if they won? No **** its the loser who feels cheated

winning teams feel cheated too but they arent about to say anything cause they want to gain the good side of the refs. they will just curse them out in the locker away from the media.

Kings Faithful
10-02-2009, 10:17 PM
I saw Violet Palmer call a foul on Chris Webber once... while he was sitting on the bench. So yeah, refs should be blamed when they make ridiculous calls. I also don't like how the rules virtually change in the last minute of a game. They need to be consistent the whole way through.

ManRam
10-02-2009, 10:30 PM
winning teams feel cheated too but they arent about to say anything cause they want to gain the good side of the refs. they will just curse them out in the locker away from the media.

Exactly. Bad calls go both ways...all the time. It's just when you lose, you remember the bad ones, when you win, you don't.

Ultimately, it's the team's fault. A missed shot is just as costly, usually more costly, than one missed call.