PDA

View Full Version : NBA: Fines for Standing

DeeJay
10-01-2009, 04:20 PM
The NBA issued a warning to teams recently that they will be fined for if players are standing in front of their bench, obscuring the view of fans in high-priced seats.
"Players will not be permitted to stand [in front of] the bench at any other time while the ball is in play, including standing for the last minute of a game or standing until the team scores its first point in game." This is good news for rich fans, but bad news for players who like to stand.
Source: ESPN.com

Rotoworld

Money Talks I guess.

sofargone
10-01-2009, 04:30 PM
thats BS, id rather stare at Chris bosh's fine *** than the game any day

JermanJaysFan
10-01-2009, 04:36 PM
This just furthers that basketball is less and less about the sport and more and more about the entertainment value for fans.

thephoenixson28
10-01-2009, 04:41 PM
This is the most stupid thing Ive ever heard next they won't even be able to look at people and get fined. Those rich *** people should be in the nose bleed with us.

D_Rose1118
10-01-2009, 04:45 PM
thats retartded those fans should just stand up too

dtmagnet
10-01-2009, 04:49 PM
That is a dumb dumb rule, don't let the players get hyped for the game because the damn richards in the front row can't see the game, oh wait those people can just stand up! DURRRR

BkOriginalOne
10-01-2009, 04:50 PM
Personally, as a player making millions of dollars, I would stand any time I wanted.

NYKnickFanatic
10-01-2009, 04:56 PM
That is ****ing ridiculous...

Nocioni5
10-01-2009, 05:00 PM
Personally, as a player making millions of dollars, I would stand any time I wanted.

shoot I remember in high school I would get in trouble for standing cause I would get tired of sitting in clase for an hour and a half straight with our block schedual and also in some of my college classes that where evening classes that lasted 3-4 hours straight.

iced_earth4
10-01-2009, 05:01 PM
Another reason why the NBA of today is BS!

JNA17
10-01-2009, 05:03 PM
wow. :pity:

This just in, Players will now get ejected from the game and fined if they smile or laugh on the bench, oh wait...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Lu1Wz5JQEz8

sofargone
10-01-2009, 05:22 PM

This just in, Players will now get ejected from the game and fined if they smile or laugh on the bench, oh wait...

its a known fact that joey crawford is a dallas fan

.Juice.
10-01-2009, 05:27 PM
This is a good rule.

If you're paying that much for seats, you should have a clear view of the game. Why do players need to stand anyway? If they stand, the people in the front row stand, then the people behind them stand, and it becomes ridiculous.

JermanJaysFan
10-01-2009, 05:36 PM
This is a good rule.

If you're paying that much for seats, you should have a clear view of the game. Why do players need to stand anyway? If they stand, the people in the front row stand, then the people behind them stand, and it becomes ridiculous.
Since when has it been an issue though? Players have always stood up, people have kept buying those tickets. Why mess with a system that doesn't have issues.

sofargone
10-01-2009, 05:41 PM
This is a good rule.

idk i think players should do w/e they want people shouldnt be so soft

Wilson
10-01-2009, 05:49 PM

Damn, I sure am going to miss Joey Crawford's first class officiating...

its a known fact that joey crawford is a dallas fan

He isn't biased against any particular teams. Ever since I've been watching basketball, Joey Crawford will pick one team in a game, award them countless free throws, and eject opposing players for no real reason. The team he favours could be different any time he takes the floor (that's what makes him so fun!), but there will be one.

Sometimes, if the game is close enough, he might do a complete 180 in the last two minutes, just to really keep you on your toes.

This is a good rule.

I don't get why someone would pay so much money to sit behind the area where they know players will be standing.

In fact, now that I think about it, they don't know. They're just there to be noticed, or to impress someone. But it's ok to take a dump on the actual fans, just to keep these guys happy.

Why doesn't the league make these seats a bit cheaper, for fans who would love to sit behind the players? It can make up the profits by taking advantage of the atmosphere-killing luxury boxes that are so prominent in todays arenas.

Jack Daniels
10-01-2009, 05:49 PM

Ummm, last time I checked the average fan isn't 6'5 and up. Not sure that would clear their view....

AI4MVP
10-01-2009, 06:00 PM
this rule is ****ing ********. i love watching the benches getting all pumped and waving towels in excitement and preteending to hold eachother back when theres a huge dunk. i say take the fine and do it anyways

Kings Faithful
10-01-2009, 06:02 PM
This is ridiculous. What about the team rituals of not sitting until the first points are scored? Do they just **** all over that for the money?

BTownTeamsRKing
10-01-2009, 06:30 PM
this reminds me of the guy who complained after the 97 superbowl because the guy infront of him was standing up AT THE SUPER BOWL.

this rule is unnecessary and uncalled for.

.Juice.
10-01-2009, 08:07 PM
Since when has it been an issue though? Players have always stood up, people have kept buying those tickets. Why mess with a system that doesn't have issues.
It's always been an issue. Hence, the new rule.

idk i think players should do w/e they want people shouldnt be so soft
It's not about being soft. If you pay thousands for seats, you shouldn't have to worry about bench warmers obstructing your view. It only makes sense to me.

I don't get why someone would pay so much money to sit behind the area where they know players will be standing.

In fact, now that I think about it, they don't know. They're just there to be noticed, or to impress someone. But it's ok to take a dump on the actual fans, just to keep these guys happy.

Why doesn't the league make these seats a bit cheaper, for fans who would love to sit behind the players? It can make up the profits by taking advantage of the atmosphere-killing luxury boxes that are so prominent in todays arenas.
Not everyone's view is obstructed by the players.
It's just some who sit directly behind the team benches.

this reminds me of the guy who complained after the 97 superbowl because the guy infront of him was standing up AT THE SUPER BOWL.

this rule is unnecessary and uncalled for.
There's some old folk and disabled people in the crowds who can't stand up. It seems like you guys haven't been to many games. I see this happen all the time. Someone stands up, then the person behind him stands up, and it's just a chain reaction until someone complains. I'd rather just sit there the whole game and enjoy rather than having to worry about when someone will stand.

dtmagnet
10-01-2009, 08:15 PM
Then sit on your couch.

heattiltheend94
10-01-2009, 08:20 PM
BAsketball is all bout money

what54!?
10-01-2009, 08:21 PM
the rules just keep getting dumber and dumber :facepalm:

Litchris12
10-01-2009, 08:24 PM
they tryna get every knick and dime out of these players

junion
10-01-2009, 08:25 PM
i was sitting behind my team's bench, the lakers.. i had no problem with it..

but when i was watching a laker game once, i had to sit behind the opposing team's bench, garnett was on it, he was a jerk and stood up on purpose because i was yelling that the wolves were going to lose the game.. i'm not that tall, and garnett is pretty tall.. he knew that if he stood and got the rest of his team to stand, i would not see the lakers win.

now whenever i go to a game, i refuse to sit behind the opposing team's bench... sitting behind a celebrity is probably better - they always stay seated.. barely even raise a hand.

.Juice.
10-01-2009, 08:40 PM
Then sit on your couch.
I don't care either way. I'm just saying... I've seen this be a problem at games before and think it's a good rule.

BAsketball is all bout money
All major sports leagues are about money.

I really don't think this is a case of trying to suck the players dry. It's not hard to follow this rule. You just have to sit during games. It's more of an action they're taking to appease the league's high-paying fans.

BTownTeamsRKing
10-01-2009, 10:03 PM
It's always been an issue. Hence, the new rule.

It's not about being soft. If you pay thousands for seats, you shouldn't have to worry about bench warmers obstructing your view. It only makes sense to me.

Not everyone's view is obstructed by the players.
It's just some who sit directly behind the team benches.

There's some old folk and disabled people in the crowds who can't stand up. It seems like you guys haven't been to many games. I see this happen all the time. Someone stands up, then the person behind him stands up, and it's just a chain reaction until someone complains. I'd rather just sit there the whole game and enjoy rather than having to worry about when someone will stand.

cmon man, the only i sit the whole game is when i go with my dad and its more a family thing. but when im with friends, its no fun to just sit there.

Toenail Clipper
10-01-2009, 10:06 PM
So Ronny Turiaf cannot jump and scream anymore?
:[

bahama0811
10-01-2009, 10:08 PM
:facepalm:

kingkobe
10-01-2009, 10:09 PM
Well in that case the fans shouldn't be allowed to stand either. If someone stands they should be ejected from the stadium.

What a dumb rule.

Shady66
10-01-2009, 10:19 PM
Sucks for the players on the bench in close or exciting games, no standing up and cheering.

How stupid.

Wilson
10-02-2009, 05:12 AM
The players are going to be nearly jumping out of their seats whenever something big happens, but they won't be able to actually jump up. So they're going to be perched on their seats looking really antsy, looking like a bunch of school kids waiting for the bell...

Trouble87
10-02-2009, 05:38 AM
I don't like it but I understand the reasoning behind it...

UK Ivy
10-02-2009, 06:26 AM
shoot I remember in high school I would get in trouble for standing cause I would get tired of sitting in clase for an hour and a half straight with our block schedual and also in some of my college classes that where evening classes that lasted 3-4 hours straight.

Same here, did you go to Thornwood by any chance?

USMCLaker
10-02-2009, 11:31 AM
I understand both sides but I agree with Juice. I too like seeing the players jump up and support our squad but it does prevent the richards from getting the product that they paid for in the most critical points in the game and like it or not the richards how priced ticket spending helps support the game and the new fee's even though it helps the richards is more about helping the league levy more fines during a rough economy this is really all about economics and not much else.

shen
10-02-2009, 12:07 PM
This is another horrible rule like the countless others Stern has put in. Half the fun of going to see a game in person is the players reactions to things. If you don't want someone standing in front of you then don't go to the game as it happens to everyone. Either a player in the front row or a fan in the nose bleeds is happens. Just get over it, maybe if people that sit there think this is such a big deal the league should get rid of those seats as a real fan would never ever complain about having a player stand up in front of them they would be hitting everyone's arm's trying to get attention saying hey that is so and so.

.Juice.
10-02-2009, 12:15 PM
cmon man, the only i sit the whole game is when i go with my dad and its more a family thing. but when im with friends, its no fun to just sit there.
The fans can stand all they want.

AIMelo=KillaDUO
10-02-2009, 12:30 PM
That's pretty lame...

Kakaroach
10-02-2009, 12:57 PM
Just another dumb rule but I get why they did it. The players usually sit down after a few seconds anyway though.

Becks2307
10-02-2009, 01:06 PM
dumb dumb dumb...taking all the emotion out of the game is a horrible idea...its hilarious to watch the bench after a big dunk or a huge block..especially when they like to pretend they are holding each other back because the play got them so hyped up....these people are paying to see these guys perform so they should STFU

every team's bench should stand every game so they all get rejected..that way the nba will realise how stupid this is.

Nocioni5
10-02-2009, 01:12 PM
Same here, did you go to Thornwood by any chance?

Actually I went to Highschool in the Suburbs, I went to Oswego High School its right by Aurora like 45 min outside of the city.

Corey
10-02-2009, 01:18 PM
The fans can stand all they want.

Then you're just totally contradicting yourself. What if a fan has a really tall fan in front of him. The fan standing should then get ejected because he's blocking vision from the fan behind him.

This is a really dumb rule. You want players to remain seated with 20 seconds left and a tied game? That's beyond ridiculous.

td0tsfinest
10-12-2009, 12:44 PM
the dumbest rule in NBA history. Its like telling fans not to get up after a big play, the team is as much into the game (if not more) as the crowd is.
Its a horrible rule.

Reddd
10-12-2009, 01:13 PM
I can't imagine the bench calmly sitting in the finals game 7, tied at 100 a piece, 10 sec left to go.

Gators123
10-12-2009, 01:20 PM
lol at the rule

DLeeicious
10-12-2009, 01:45 PM
This rule won't last.

abe_froman
10-12-2009, 03:15 PM
Sucks for the players on the bench in close or exciting games, no standing up and cheering.

How stupid.

no,thats not the rule.

you can stand and cheer during exciting plays,thats permitted;but what you cant do is stand for the entire 3rd quarter(blocking courtside view of the game,like the cav's were doing last year).understand?

Cavs_Fan24
10-12-2009, 03:55 PM
Talk about taking away the benchwarmers' passion!!

jrodmesche
10-12-2009, 04:14 PM
**** that stupid **** that makes me very angry

S.J.Basketball
10-12-2009, 04:20 PM
This is the most stupid thing Ive ever heard next they won't even be able to look at people and get fined. Those rich *** people should be in the nose bleed with us.

Why should they sit up there? Because you didn't go to college and get a good enough job? Too bad. Wahhh!

As far as the rule goes. Who really cares? I don't. If I paid for those seats and some tall player kept obstructing my view by standing up constantly I'd be annoyed. NBA looking out for fans.

ZOMG THEY CAN'T STAND?!?!?! WHATS HAPPENING TO THE GAME?!?!?! lol

ttam68
10-12-2009, 04:41 PM
Just another way to inhibit the excitement of players.

I'm sure you won't see the NFL telling players that being excited and interested in whats happening is wrong.

I understand the fans shouldn't be blocked, but the fans shouldnt influence the game either. Thats a ****ing joke. The NBA has lost track of the players excitement and cheering on teammates, just to make a few grand on seats. Why not mark them down as potentially blocked, or not put seats there.

Halladay
10-12-2009, 05:01 PM

I don't know about you but I have a hard time seeing over someone who's almost 7 feet tall.;) Not that I could afford one of those seats anyway.

Raps18-19 Champ
10-12-2009, 05:04 PM
Wow. Talk about BS.

obanga
10-12-2009, 06:15 PM
I don't see a big problem with this rule. Like some have said early, if I paid a lot for these seats, I'd want to be able to watch the game without having a giant obstructing my view.

MackSnackWrap
10-12-2009, 06:28 PM
thats bs, id rather stare at chris bosh's fine *** than the game any day

lmfao