PDA

View Full Version : Anybody concerned?

kenzo400
10-01-2009, 12:57 PM
Is anybody here concerned with how Hedo Turkoglu played during the European championships. He started off very consisent, and then the last 4-5 games he played terrible. I think he finished with under 35 percent shooting from field goal and less than 12 points. I saw the boxscore for one game where he shot 2-22 from the field. Now to my knowledge he isn't hurt so that isn't the reason. But could it be his work ethic. I know that was always questioned earlier in his career.

deaner
10-01-2009, 01:03 PM
no

Mile High Champ
10-01-2009, 01:13 PM
I think we should be fine, I think he is a bit tired from the off-season and the long playoff drive by the Magic. I expect him to be ready to go at full speed somewhere in the middle of the pre-season. He will be ready to go, not to concerned.

Bob_at_york
10-01-2009, 01:39 PM
Also you have to understand that he was probably getting double and triple teamed. Who else was a threat on his team?

B2B
10-01-2009, 01:44 PM
also you have to understand that he was probably getting double and triple teamed. Who else was a threat on his team?

dp

B2B
10-01-2009, 01:44 PM
Also you have to understand that he was probably getting double and triple teamed. Who else was a threat on his team?

Good point but saying probably doesn't mean he was, was he or r u assuming?.

Bob_at_york
10-01-2009, 01:54 PM
Good point but saying probably doesn't mean he was, was he or r u assuming?.

no, I don't know for sure, I just know that if I was on the opposition, I would double team him because the dropoff after him is probably huge. I do know that writers said that the defensive schemes that were allowed over there limited Bargs and that the rules differ over here. The same COULD be said for Hedo, I am not sure.

B2B
10-01-2009, 02:10 PM
no, I don't know for sure, I just know that if I was on the opposition, I would double team him because the dropoff after him is probably huge. I do know that writers said that the defensive schemes that were allowed over there limited Bargs and that the rules differ over here. The same COULD be said for Hedo, I am not sure.

The OP said: But could it be his work ethic. I know that was always questioned earlier in his career.

It was a good point to base your argument but there's no fact to dissprove the op's theory, only assumption. Unless u can prove he was in fact limited by defensive schemes & it was in fact not because of his work ethic.

Bob_at_york
10-01-2009, 02:28 PM
The OP said: But could it be his work ethic. I know that was always questioned earlier in his career.

It was a good point to base your argument but there's no fact to dissprove the op's theory, only assumption. Unless u can prove he was in fact limited by defensive schemes & it was in fact not because of his work ethic.
Couldn't you turn this around and say the work ethic argument is just an assumption too? I admit I didn't watch any of the tournament, I am just basing my idea on what I think would logically happen (double-team on the most talented turkish player) and what I heard about the defensive schemes in the tourney. I have never heard what you two have heard about Hedo's work ethic in the past, it could be true then and now. But really unless somebody pulls something out of an article or something, isn't all we are doing is trying to make logical assumptions with the very little data we have at the moment?

B2B
10-01-2009, 02:49 PM
Couldn't you turn this around and say the work ethic argument is just an assumption too? I admit I didn't watch any of the tournament, I am just basing my idea on what I think would logically happen (double-team on the most talented turkish player) and what I heard about the defensive schemes in the tourney. I have never heard what you two have heard about Hedo's work ethic in the past, it could be true then and now. But really unless somebody pulls something out of an article or something, isn't all we are doing is trying to make logical assumptions with the very little data we have at the moment?

Yes u can turn it around but he made the thread about being concerened about his work ethic assuming your answer doesn't put his concern to rest, u need to prove it's not his work ethic like the OP thinks to assure him about his concern. Your point is a good basis to debunk his concern that he has no work ethic but assuming he was doubled team doesn't back it with fact because it's possible he may not have been double teamed & in fact it was due to a poor work ethic.

phoenix_bladen
10-01-2009, 03:19 PM
Is anybody here concerned with how Hedo Turkoglu played during the European championships. He started off very consisent, and then the last 4-5 games he played terrible. I think he finished with under 35 percent shooting from field goal and less than 12 points. I saw the boxscore for one game where he shot 2-22 from the field. Now to my knowledge he isn't hurt so that isn't the reason. But could it be his work ethic. I know that was always questioned earlier in his career.

not very concerned at all .....

i don't think we need him to be the go to guy on the offense and we have plenty of scorers

we just need his all around game

kenzo400
10-01-2009, 03:56 PM

I know i wish i did have some articles that talk about that point. I know i did read about it a lot earlier in his career with Sacramento Kings, and then several writers even on ESPN did mention it just when he was traded to the Raptors. Now you are right, just because several people mentioned it, doesn't make it true either. They could be talking out of their *****, or just assuming based on his inconsistent field goal percentages. But there has been mention of it, that's why i thought it would be an interesting thread.

As for the European World Championships, i don't think you could blame him being double teamed on his low percentages and inconsistency. I'm sure all NBA stars that play in these tournaments get double teamed yet they still hold their own (ex Dirk Nowitzki) Plus even on the Turkish team there was still plenty of solid shooters, with the right passes i'm sure not as many field goals would have gone to waste. He also had a lot of turnovers as well.

Bob_at_york
10-01-2009, 04:04 PM
Yes u can turn it around but he made the thread about being concerened about his work ethic assuming your answer doesn't put his concern to rest, u need to prove it's not his work ethic like the OP thinks to assure him about his concern. Your point is a good basis to debunk his concern that he has no work ethic but assuming he was doubled team doesn't back it with fact because it's possible he may not have been double teamed & in fact it was due to a poor work ethic.

I think the difference is you see the thread as the OP mainly asking about Hedo's work ethic and if we should be concerned about his work ethic. I felt he was asking more so if we should be concerned with Hedo's poor showing overseas and asked us for reasons why that might be. He listed the work ethic thing as one of the possibilities but I didn't think he wanted that to be the main crust of his argument/this thread.

Now that Kenzo is here he can clarify.

Bob_at_york
10-01-2009, 04:06 PM
I know i wish i did have some articles that talk about that point. I know i did read about it a lot earlier in his career with Sacramento Kings, and then several writers even on ESPN did mention it just when he was traded to the Raptors. Now you are right, just because several people mentioned it, doesn't make it true either. They could be talking out of their *****, or just assuming based on his inconsistent field goal percentages. But there has been mention of it, that's why i thought it would be an interesting thread.
I am not saying it isn't true he could have a horrible work ethic and it could be one of the many contributing factors to him playing poorly this summer.

As for the European World Championships, i don't think you could blame him being double teamed on his low percentages and inconsistency. I'm sure all NBA stars that play in these tournaments get double teamed yet they still hold their own (ex Dirk Nowitzki) Plus even on the Turkish team there was still plenty of solid shooters, with the right passes i'm sure not as many field goals would have gone to waste. He also had a lot of turnovers as well.
Were his teammates on the Turkish team that good? If so then now I am a little bit worried. Although at the same time, I haven't really paid attention to his injury status, when did he say the injury happened, maybe he was playing injured.

B2B
10-01-2009, 04:07 PM
I think the difference is you see the thread as the OP mainly asking about Hedo's work ethic and if we should be concerned about his work ethic. I felt he was asking more so if we should be concerned with Hedo's poor showing overseas and asked us for reasons why that might be. He listed the work ethic thing as one of the possibilities but I didn't think he wanted that to be the main crust of his argument/this thread.

Now that Kenvo is here he can clarify.

Nah the work ethic is just an example I used, his concern is what I meant to focus on.

SA5195
10-01-2009, 04:26 PM
Nah, not worried.

yungballah15
10-01-2009, 04:26 PM
its better 2 be safe then sorry, hes not really banged up, are nothing, i think he could be playing but its better 2 be safe, the same thing with bosh, hedo went till june into the playoffs,and had euro ball to train for, he should be ready 2 play, but rather give the guy some rest, and make sure hes 100% during the season.

kenzo400
10-01-2009, 05:18 PM
I am not saying it isn't true he could have a horrible work ethic and it could be one of the many contributing factors to him playing poorly this summer.

Were his teammates on the Turkish team that good? If so then now I am a little bit worried. Although at the same time, I haven't really paid attention to his injury status, when did he say the injury happened, maybe he was playing injured.

I was focusing more on his general worth ethic. I used the example of European Basketball because it is the most recent event. Also i don't think his teammates are necessarily that good, but at the same time they were playing against competition that generally isn't better than them. In fact most of the teams were actually worse. So they were playing in their own league, in terms of talent. The team does have several solid shooters. If you look at the box scores there was a couple of guys that averaged 18-19 points a game.

secterm
10-01-2009, 05:34 PM
I would be less concerned if he had a goo/great tournament. So I guess it should be SOMEWHAT concerning. Nothing to panic about, but something to consider.

SA5195
10-01-2009, 05:39 PM
I'm kinda concerned of the "tired" part, ya he worked alot but, sometimes if a player says he's tired, then that just scares me for some reason.

MackSnackWrap
10-01-2009, 05:57 PM
Im not concerned as long as hes healthy hell play well

ChongInc.
10-01-2009, 09:01 PM
the same was said about mcgrady at one point
I think its the sleepy, stoner like eyes