PDA

View Full Version : Bobcats look to run (Yes Larry Brown wants to run the break)

DerekRE_3
10-01-2009, 12:24 PM
An NBA team promising to run more in training camp is a lot like that New Year's resolution to lose 20 pounds.

Sincerely pledged, yet easily dismissed as the months slide by.

This might be the exception: The Charlotte Bobcats' stated desire to run more is about how the roster evolved. Since the start of last season they've traded for a more athletic center in Tyson Chandler and a power forward with uncommon ballhandling skills in Boris Diaw.

Combine that with small forward Gerald Wallace and point guard Raymond Felton – two guys built for speed – and there's a logical core group to play transition basketball.

“Coaches won't have to scream at us about running all the time,” said Chandler, traded to Charlotte for Emeka Okafor over the summer. “We're naturally gifted at running, so we're going to run.”

Don't get the wrong impression; they're not aiming to be Doug Moe's Denver Nuggets, committed to the break at the expense of all else. But a team that finished last in the NBA in scoring last season (93.6 points per game) needs to explore every means to easy baskets and more free throws.

And there are tumble-down effects, even if a team fails to score in the initial break. By pushing the ball across mid-court, the Bobcats might buy themselves an extra three to five seconds to run their regular offense. That could mean fewer frantic jumpers with the 24-second shot-clock expiring.

“When you run, and the first or second thing doesn't work, you (leave yourself time) to get into the pick-and-roll late in the offense,” Chandler described. “But if you drag the ball up the floor, and the defense takes away your first or second options, you're pretty much done.”

Coach Larry Brown is all for pushing the ball, but wants it done meticulously and with purpose. He says fast-breaks only work when the wings (small forward and shooting guard) are committed to staying ahead of the ballhandler, creating lanes to the basket. And he wants organized breaks that transition into a half-court offense.

“His idea of transition is very structured,” Wallace said, “where even if we don't attack the basket, we still end up in a set where we can run one of our plays. That way we're not losing time on the shot clock.”

The X-factor in this is Diaw, a power forward in size but a point guard in skill set.

“Coach is designing the offense around that – (multiple) guys being able to bring the ball up the floor,” Chandler said.

“Guys not stopping just because the ball isn't in the point guard's hands – that's the only way you can fast-break. If Raymond is denied or D.J. (Augustin) is denied, we have to still be able to move (the ball), to keep up the tempo, to make them pay for that.”

Source: Charlotte Observer (http://www.charlotteobserver.com/bobcats/story/978401.html)

DerekRE_3
10-01-2009, 12:26 PM
Personally I love this idea. If you look at our roster, we have guys that can run the break. Boris Diaw and Raja Bell both did it in Phoenix and Tyson Chandler is an athletic big that loves to run the floor. In addition to that; Felton, Augustin, and Wallace all have speed. I think Gerald Wallace especially could benefit in this system. He's a guy that can beat his man down the floor and is a great finisher in the open court. I can't wait to see how we do with this.

GreatMustachio1
10-01-2009, 01:59 PM
I cant wait for the season to start and see how this team looks.
they really seem to have the pieces and everything going for them to be an actual force in the east

bigsams50
10-01-2009, 04:53 PM
Im lovin this, chandler felton and wallace in the open court is gonna be sick

Chronz
10-11-2009, 02:32 AM
Ill believe it when i see it

DerekRE_3
10-11-2009, 02:49 AM
Ill believe it when i see it

We aren't going to be the Phoenix Suns we are just gonna push the ball when we have a chance. Last year when we did run the break we were actually really efficient with it. I really hope we do run more because Gerald Wallace would flourish in a system like that and Raymond Felton and DJ are one of the faster guards in the NBA.

NBA_fiend
10-21-2009, 11:40 AM
Picking up the pace a little is a good idea for this team. Tyson Chandler is not a real offensive threat in the post which leaves Boris Diaw as the primary post option on this team. To put some points on the board this team will need to get as many easy buckets as they can.

bigsams50
10-22-2009, 07:52 AM
^ yea, we are gonna need some kind of fast break offense to get easy points. THats what hurts us in the okafor trade, we lose a player thats good in the post offensively for a guy whose not really a factor at all offensively