PDA

View Full Version : Top 10 Unforgettable Shocking Events/Moments of the NBA This Decade!

ko8e24
10-01-2009, 12:41 AM
Which NBA moments, concerning NBA players/coaches/refs/owners/commissioner etc. had you shocked and out of your seat. It can be on the court related, or off the court related.

This is my list:

1) The Detroit Mayley with Pacers players Ron Artest, Jermaine O'Neal, Stephen Jackson and the Detroit Pistons Fans in 2004-2005 NBA Season

2) Kobe Bryant Charged With Sexual Assault in Summer of 2003

3) NBA Referee Tim Donaghy Betting/Fixing Games Scandal in Summer of 2007

4) Kobe Bryant's 81 pt game on January 22, 2006. The second highest point total in NBA history.

5) Vince Carter's memorable dunk contest performance at All-Star 2000, followed by jumping over that European guy and dunking in the 2000 Summer Olympics.

6) Michael Jordan Returns to the NBA in a Washington Wizards uniform. At the age of 40+, he has a couple of 40 pt games and 50 pt games, as well as a memorable "repeat backflash game winner" against the Cleveland Cavaliers.

7) The Break-up of the Lakers Dynasty, Shaquille O'Neal traded to the Miami Heat in the Summer of 2004 after the Big 4 of Shaq-Kobe-Malone-Payton lose to the defensive juggernaut Detroit Pistons in the NBA Finals.

8) Tracy McGrady's 13 points in 35 seconds in a regular season game against the San Antonio Spurs

9) Memorable playoff Laker game winners with Derek Fisher's 0.4 shot in 2004 against San Antonio Spurs and Kobe Bryant's game 4 in OT win over Phoenix Suns.

10) (Tie) The controversy involving Robert Horry hipchecking Steve Nash in the 2007 2nd round playoffs, and Amare Stoudemire getting ejected and perhaps costing the series for the Phoenix Suns against the San Antonio Spurs.

D-Wade's memorable 2006 NBA Finals run avg 34.7 PPG en route to the Heat's 1st Championship in Franchise History and D-Wade winning Finals MVP. Heat come back against the Dallas Mavericks from a 0-2 whole.

So give Top 10 List, ON or OFF the court NBA related, that were awe-dropping moments that received a lot of attention not just by your own team's franchise, but all over the NBA this decade.

ManRam
10-01-2009, 12:56 AM
The best individual playoff performance, perhaps ever, has to be on there.

Game 5, ECF... James scored the Cavaliers' final 25 points of the game, including all 18 points in overtime. Never seen anyone take over a game like that before in my life. Might not ever happen again. Amazing...

Don't have many major beefs with your list. I think you are a little Kobe biased, especially with his legal problems (not the second most memorable event at all...). I'm sure there are some we're missing though.

ko8e24
10-01-2009, 01:03 AM
The best individual playoff performance, perhaps ever, has to be on there.

Game 5, ECF... James scored the Cavaliers' final 25 points of the game, including all 18 points in overtime. Never seen anyone take over a game like that before in my life. Might not ever happen again. Amazing...

Don't have many major beefs with your list. I think you are a little Kobe biased, especially with his legal problems (not the second most memorable event at all...). I'm sure there are some we're missing though.

yes, that Lebron moment was definitely real kool. forgot about that. legit choice to add that to the list as well

as far as being "kobe-biased", kobe is the guy that's been talked about the most in the NBA this decade in the negative light and the most talked about in terms of legacy because he has been linked to Shaquille Oneal this whole time. that sexual assault ruined his image, distraction to the team, and the golden child at the time was never perceived the same way ever again.

and yes, im sure there more moments i couldnt think of, so this is where the rest of you come in and throw out there some more moments i may have forgotten, or u can argue the ones i've listed.

ManRam
10-01-2009, 01:06 AM
yes, that Lebron moment was definitely real kool. forgot about that. legit choice to add that to the list as well

as far as being "kobe-biased", kobe is the guy that's been talked about the most in the NBA this decade in the negative light and the most talked about in terms of legacy because he has been linked to Shaquille Oneal this whole time. that sexual assault ruined his image, distraction to the team, and the golden child at the time was never perceived the same way ever again.

and yes, im sure there more moments i couldnt think of, so this is where the rest of you come in and throw out there some more moments i may have forgotten, or u can argue the ones i've listed.

Kobe is the player of the decade...but people aren't going to remember his sex scandal over some of those other things, especially Donaghy or his 81 point game, just to name a few. It's top 10, I just don't think it's 2.

ko8e24
10-01-2009, 01:10 AM
Kobe is the player of the decade...but people aren't going to remember his sex scandal over some of those other things, especially Donaghy or his 81 point game, just to name a few. It's top 10, I just don't think it's 2.

aite, fair enuf

Bashna
10-01-2009, 01:21 AM
1: Obviously the Indianda pistons brawl.

2: Ref issues. Tim donaghy or w/e and co fixing games and such

3: The show Lebron James put on in the entire ECF 2008, it was just amazing. the clutch, the take over of games, it was amazing and i'm at a loss for words at how well he did spite being beaten the single Cavalier vs the entire magic team.

4: MJ coming back to the NBA

5: Shaq traded from LA to Miami, then Phx (Atleast this was shocking for me)

6: The Cavs not making the NBA finals last year

7: Robert horry hip-check, then the bans, just total ******** but i won't go any further.

8: The Gasol for nothing trade

9: The Oden Bust

10:The Suns not winning a championship during their amazing spurt...Was definitely shocking to me, atleast.

ko8e24
10-01-2009, 01:29 AM
1: Obviously the Indianda pistons brawl.

2: Ref issues. Tim donaghy or w/e and co fixing games and such

3: The show Lebron James put on in the entire ECF 2008, it was just amazing. the clutch, the take over of games, it was amazing and i'm at a loss for words at how well he did spite being beaten the single Cavalier vs the entire magic team.

4: MJ coming back to the NBA

5: Shaq traded from LA to Miami, then Phx (Atleast this was shocking for me)

6: The Cavs not making the NBA finals last year

7: Robert horry hip-check, then the bans, just total ******** but i won't go any further.

8: The Gasol for nothing trade

9: The Oden Bust

10:The Suns not winning a championship during their amazing spurt...Was definitely shocking to me, atleast.

it's been injuries, and it's been only 2 yrs. therez been other #1 picks who had higher expectations than oden and did not meet them this decade. like kwame brown,lol

ko8e24
10-01-2009, 01:31 AM
and im going out on a record by saying that yes, i made a mistake in not adding the Lebron James performance in game 5 of ECF against the Pistons, bringing cavs back from 0-2 deficit, and lead a crappy cavs team to the 2007 nba finals basically all by himself.

asandhu23
10-01-2009, 01:46 AM
I am surprised no one yet has said 2007 Warriors versus Mavs playoff series. The Baron Davis dunk on Kirilenko. LeBron and Kobe going back to back 40+ point games at Madison Square Garden. 2002 kings versus lakers wcf.

ChiSox219
10-01-2009, 01:52 AM
7 OTs in 7 games

Mavrix
10-01-2009, 02:01 AM
How about Golden State upsetting the 67 win Dallas Mavericks in the first round?

ko8e24
10-01-2009, 02:12 AM
How about Golden State upsetting the 67 win Dallas Mavericks in the first round?

yup, that's another one. add that to the list fo sho'

ko8e24
10-01-2009, 02:14 AM
7 OTs in 7 games

eh, bulls celtics 09 series prolly top 15, but many more great or awe-striking moments already listed better than that. Now if all that happened, and KG was playing, then i'd be a different story.

KayNti
10-01-2009, 02:16 AM
LOL, what about Lebron being drafted!!!

asandhu23
10-01-2009, 02:20 AM
yup, that's another one. add that to the list fo sho'

i put that up there...

asandhu23
10-01-2009, 02:20 AM
LOL, what about Lebron being drafted!!!

if you want to go that way, i have to say Lebron getting dunked on

GoatMilk
10-01-2009, 02:35 AM
i dont really know if this counts, but in 2007 the Celtics were a laughing stock.
They were pathetic.

then we hear some crazy 7(or whatever it was) for 1 trade rumors for KG
we're all laughing

then it happened.

them winning it all wasnt surprising, but them getting KG AFTER they already got Ray was kinda shocking to me

Mavrix
10-01-2009, 02:48 AM
i dont really know if this counts, but in 2007 the Celtics were a laughing stock.
They were pathetic.

then we hear some crazy 7(or whatever it was) for 1 trade rumors for KG
we're all laughing

then it happened.

them winning it all wasnt surprising, but them getting KG AFTER they already got Ray was kinda shocking to me
They went from having All star Paul Pierce and developing star Al Jefferson to having Paul Pierce, Kevin Garnett, Ray Allen, and Rasheed Wallace with Marquis Daniels coming off the bench. Wow.

Mavrix
10-01-2009, 02:49 AM
People may not realize this but Dallas basically got Jason Kidd and Shawn Marion for Antwan Jamison. Kind of funny if you think about it.

Dallas traded Antwan Jamison for draft rights to Devin Harris and Jerry Stackhouse. Dallas then traded Harris for Kidd and then traded Stackhouse for Marion.

ko8e24
10-01-2009, 02:51 AM
i put that up there...

im thinking 3rd or 4th of the decade perhaps?

ko8e24
10-01-2009, 02:53 AM
i think the 2 shocker trades this decade have been shaq to the heat (breaking up early 2000s laker dynasty), and the gasol to the lakers for javaris crittenton + dog-crap trade.

asandhu23
10-01-2009, 03:00 AM
im thinking 3rd or 4th of the decade perhaps?

yes it has to be. for once our management did something good and now they are effing it up again

ZebraCity916
10-01-2009, 03:49 AM
Worst refereed game in NBA history. Game 6 2002 WCF. My opinion of course that it's the worst but I'm sure I'm not alone on that one.

Warriors over Dallas upset.

Celtics goin' from the worst team one year to the best team the next and winning a championship.

Tim Donaghy scandal of course.

And also the Brawl at the Palace.

Maybe Duncan getting ejected from the bench by Joe Crawford???? Not sure about that one though.....

JordansBulls
10-01-2009, 08:09 AM
I would have to put the Pistons upset over LA in 2004 up there as no one was expecting that especially a team that had no superstar player to upset a team with 2 of the top 4 players in the league along with 2 other top 30 players all time.

Also last years Magic upsetting the Cavs when not one analyst said Orlando would win. That has to be pretty shocking.

Other than that, I think you have a pretty good list.

JayW_1023
10-01-2009, 09:28 AM
1. Yao Mings rookie year and how he has adapted to the NBA was prolly one of the most fun things to follow. There was nothing like him, and it was great to see him grow into a bona fide star.

2. Kobe scoring 81 points in the Raptors...so what if the Raps were a soft defensive team. 81 points is still crazy.

3. The 2005 NBA finals between the Spurs and Pistons...going seven games, with Manu dominating, and Robinson winning a ring as he retired. And another Horry clutch moment.

4. Fishers 0.4 shot...the most painful shot for a Spurs fan to endure in the history of basketball. It still hurts.

5. LeBrons domination in game 5 vs. the Pistons in 2008 was a sight to see. I haven't seen a single player take over like that since MJ.

6. Horry's buzzer beater on the Kings in 2002

7. Ricky Davis triple double ripoff by shooting his own basket, and Sloan ordering Stevenson to hack him HARD.

8. Camby attacking Danny Ferry, with Van Gundy getting inbetween.

9. Michael Jordans third return with the Wizards.

10. Pistons upsetting the Lakers in 2004.

ManRam
10-01-2009, 10:05 AM
Worst refereed game in NBA history. Game 6 2002 WCF. My opinion of course that it's the worst but I'm sure I'm not alone on that one.

That has be there too. Probably still one of the most talked about games ever.

Ace33Bone
10-01-2009, 10:09 AM
I would have to say that the most memorable is the brawl because it was like I was watching that in real time and could not believe my eyes and then #2 has to be Kobe hitting 81 I mean its players that have not scored that much in their entire career and he hits that in one game against a decent team

ManRam
10-01-2009, 10:23 AM
Here's my final list.

1) The brawl at the Palace of Auburn Hills. I remember the first time I saw it on Sportscenter vividly. I remember where I was (at a friend’s house playing poker). Definitely the moment of the decade…unfortunately.

2) Game 6 of the 2002 WCF. The worst officiated game ever. Perhaps the most talked about game ever.

3) Tim Donaghy and the referee scandal.

4) Kobe’s 81 point game. The second best scoring effort ever.

5) LeBron’s game 5 in 2007 ECF vs. the Pistons. Best individual playoff performance I have ever seen.

6) Fisher’s shot vs. the Spurs in Game 5 of the WCF with 0.04 seconds left.

7) McGrady’s 13 points in 35 seconds vs. the Spurs.

8) Lakers 3-peat: I think this moment was more memorable than the breaking up of the dynasty. The Lakers failed to make the Finals in 2003, and lost in 2004. The dynasty was kind of on the downturn anyways, even before he left. But the Lakers dynasty will be remembered for sure...in a good way.

9) Mo Cheeks helping out Natalie Giblert with the national anthem.

10) The Warriors upsetting the Mavs in the first round. Only time an 8 seed has ever beat a 1 seed in 7 games. The Mavs won 67 games that year, the Warriors won 42.

HON: Dwayne Wade in the Finals in 2007. 34.7 points, 7.8 rebounds, 3.8 assists, 2.7 steals.

HON: Pistons vs. Lakers 2004

Jakeem
10-01-2009, 11:45 AM
How about Game 4 of the 2008 NBA Finals? Down two games to one, the homestanding LA Lakers jumped off to a 35-14 lead, the biggest first quarter lead in the history of the NBA Finals. The Celtics surged back with a 21 to 3 run in the third quarter and then took the lead for good with 4:07 left in the game. Final score: Boston 97, LA 91, giving the Celtics a three games to one lead in the series.

KayNti
10-01-2009, 11:47 AM
1. Yao Mings rookie year and how he has adapted to the NBA was prolly one of the most fun things to follow. There was nothing like him, and it was great to see him grow into a bona fide star.

2. Kobe scoring 81 points in the Raptors...so what if the Raps were a soft defensive team. 81 points is still crazy.

3. The 2005 NBA finals between the Spurs and Pistons...going seven games, with Manu dominating, and Robinson winning a ring as he retired. And another Horry clutch moment.

4. Fishers 0.4 shot...the most painful shot for a Spurs fan to endure in the history of basketball. It still hurts.

5. LeBrons domination in game 5 vs. the Pistons in 2008 was a sight to see. I haven't seen a single player take over like that since MJ.

6. Horry's buzzer beater on the Kings in 2002

7. Ricky Davis triple double ripoff by shooting his own basket, and Sloan ordering Stevenson to hack him HARD.

8. Camby attacking Danny Ferry, with Van Gundy getting inbetween.

9. Michael Jordans third return with the Wizards.

10. Pistons upsetting the Lakers in 2004.

That was some funny **** lol

ko8e24
10-01-2009, 11:36 PM
How about Game 4 of the 2008 NBA Finals? Down two games to one, the homestanding LA Lakers jumped off to a 35-14 lead, the biggest first quarter lead in the history of the NBA Finals. The Celtics surged back with a 21 to 3 run in the third quarter and then took the lead for good with 4:07 left in the game. Final score: Boton 97, LA 91, giving the Celtics a three games to one lead in the series.

let's just move on from that :facepalm:

Toenail Clipper
10-01-2009, 11:51 PM
How about when Lakers lost during the playoffs and Clipper bandwagons came
:D
JK.
Seriously though, that Allen Iverson trade shocked the hell out of me