PDA

View Full Version : Evans Expected to Make Bargnani Tougher

Nexus
09-30-2009, 11:38 PM
http://www.theglobeandmail.com/sports/evans-already-making-his-presence-felt/article1306340/

The Raptors expect new acquisition Reggie Evans to make Andrea Bargnani a better and tougher player.

“They went at it pretty hard,” said Raptors president Bryan Colangelo, who acquired Evans from the Philadelphia 76ers for Jason Kapono in June. “The first day . . . by the end of it [Bargnani] was like a punch-drunk prize fighter. He looked like he was exhausted. It was fighting on the glass; it was trying to exert more energy on the offensive end because he had someone defending him – whether it was at the three-point line or inside – with physical force.

“I saw him come back the next day with a little different approach and he was more prepared for it. I said wow, if that’s any indication of how Reggie is going to make others on the floor better, it happened in 24 hours.”

“I’m happy Reggie’s here. I think he’s going to make me better,” said Bargnani. “He’s a good rebounder. He can get me used to boxing out my man every time. He always goes to rebound every time so you have to box out, you have to stay focused.”

SA5195
09-30-2009, 11:42 PM
Cool! thanks for posting.

Maybe 15 and 8-9 for Bargs?

GodsSon
10-01-2009, 12:47 AM
^ i'd be happy with 7.5 lol

ink
10-01-2009, 01:14 AM
Excellent. JO last year, Reggie this year. :clap:

CB29
10-01-2009, 08:20 AM
now its competitive in practice for him and its a guy that won't take softness... if Andrea doesn't play hard then he's gonna get outrebounded consistently in practice... Even if reggie doesn't play well in games, i'm sure that this aspect of his contribution will be enough... I just wish that Andrea can drop 20 a game this season efficiently... i'm not as worried about defence & rebounding... if he can score efficiently and effectively it makes us a much better team than him just putting mediocre offensive numbers and solid defensive numbers

Glenfidish
10-01-2009, 09:32 AM
I would actually welcome a drop in points if the opposite happens on rebounding for Andrea. Already andrea is the best shot blocker on the team. He has the added benefit of being one of the best athletic 7 footers in the game. All this while being considered still very young. Im excited about evans. I think its terrific we have a guy like that. And it will only push our core guys to step up and play hard solid defense.

With the added 15 pounds that Bosh added, i think Bosh is going to be a force. I believe he takes it to the next level. They key here is that it all starts in practice and the wright attitude must be taken by all players. If they buy into it, they can be a really hard team to play against. They have to enjoy winning and really hate losing for them to become one of the elite. The time has arrived. There fans are behind them. They must play like every game means something.

Bob_at_york
10-01-2009, 09:40 AM
Already andrea is the best shot blocker on the team.
I disagree. I think Bosh maybe better and I think Amir is a better shot blocker.

katman
10-01-2009, 11:01 AM
I disagree. I think Bosh maybe better and I think Amir is a better shot blocker.

Last season

Bargs 1.24
Bosh 1.00
Amir 0.97

katman
10-01-2009, 11:02 AM
Excellent. JO last year, Reggie this year. :clap:

and some time in the summer with Moses

Bob_at_york
10-01-2009, 11:06 AM
Last season

Bargs 1.24
Bosh 1.00
Amir 0.97

Stats don't tell the whole story. Amir had his numbers in only 14 minutes per game and Bargs played 31 mpg. Also it is about positioning. Bargs found himself in a better position defensively to block shots. If Bosh was playing the C position he would get more blocks but because he plays PF more, he finds himself away from the basket more when covering his man.

katman
10-01-2009, 11:09 AM
Perhaps, but you can be the best shot blocker in the world but if you don't play near the basket to get them it doesn't count for much...just saying.

Bob_at_york
10-01-2009, 11:20 AM
Perhaps, but you can be the best shot blocker in the world but if you don't play near the basket to get them it doesn't count for much...just saying.
What if the coach is forcing you out there? We were discussing in another thread about how Amir might play some SF. I would hate to see our best shot blocker out on the perimeter trying to cover SFs. Way I am looking at it we are discussing abilities and I think Amir is the best at blocking shots on our team, he just needs the opportunity.

AFlagRules
10-01-2009, 11:50 AM
20/8 as previously predicted :)

B2B
10-01-2009, 12:53 PM
Stats don't tell the whole story. Amir had his numbers in only 14 minutes per game and Bargs played 31 mpg. Also it is about positioning. Bargs found himself in a better position defensively to block shots. If Bosh was playing the C position he would get more blocks but because he plays PF more, he finds himself away from the basket more when covering his man.

I agree stats don't tell the whole story but watching Bargnani I would say he is because his blocks r deceptive if that makes any sense to say. U never see them coming & his anticipation in that aspect is great & controlled.

Find Bosh's blocking #'s when he played C without checking I would/will bet Bargnani's #'s r still better.

B2B
10-01-2009, 01:02 PM
What if the coach is forcing you out there? We were discussing in another thread about how Amir might play some SF. I would hate to see our best shot blocker out on the perimeter trying to cover SFs. Way I am looking at it we are discussing abilities and I think Amir is the best at blocking shots on our team, he just needs the opportunity.

Detroit fans say he's too weak down low that's why he picks up fouls so fast. Now I know he gained some weight & size over the summer but he has ? marks at both C & SF. He need to be tested to see what works or fits best to our style & his game.

Play not stats & opinion, will give answers.

by the way, how do u know Amir is our best shot blocker?. I really think u r under estimating Bargnani's ability in this area.

Bob_at_york
10-01-2009, 01:52 PM
Detroit fans say he's too weak down low that's why he picks up fouls so fast. Now I know he gained some weight & size over the summer but he has ? marks at both C & SF. He need to be tested to see what works or fits best to our style & his game.

Play not stats & opinion, will give answers.
I agree, I don't blame them for trying him out at SF but I think that if they work with him at C then he can flourish more and be more valuable to our team.

by the way, how do u know Amir is our best shot blocker?. I really think u r under estimating Bargnani's ability in this area.
I don't think I am. I have not said once that Bargs is a bad shot blocker, I like his shot blocking ability, I am just saying I think the other two are better. So if anything I am over-estimating the other two, not under estimating Bargs.

B2B
10-01-2009, 02:20 PM
I agree, I don't blame them for trying him out at SF but I think that if they work with him at C then he can flourish more and be more valuable to our team.

I don't think I am. I have not said once that Bargs is a bad shot blocker, I like his shot blocking ability, I am just saying I think the other two are better. So if anything I am over-estimating the other two, not under estimating Bargs.

Under-estimating is rating lower than his ability. I think he's a better shot blocker than Bosh u don't, I think u r under-estimating him.

That's why I said u r under-estimating him. Not that u think he's a bad shot blocker but that he's better than atleast Bosh from what I've witnessed & in my opinion & it's quite possible he's better than Amir. I haven't seen much of Amir so I cannot say but that takes me back to my question as to why u think Amir would be our best shot blocker?.

Bob_at_york
10-01-2009, 02:24 PM
That was my point under estimating is rating lower than his ability. I think he's a better shot blocker than Bosh u don't, I think u r under-estimating him.

That's why I said u r under-estimationg him. Not that u think he's a bad shot blocker but that he's better than atleast Bosh from what I've witnessed & in my opinion & it's quite possible he's better than Amir.
I still disagree, I don't think I am under-estimating him. Let's say I give Bargs a "7" on the shot-blocking scale. That is a good rating, just because I might put Bosh as a 7.5 and Amir as an 8 doesn't mean I am under-estimating Bargs, like I said, if anything I am over-estimating Amir and Bosh.

I haven't seen much of Amir so I cannot say but that takes me back to my question as to why u think Amir would be our best shot blocker?.

Because I have watched Amir play, I have heard what coaches have said about him, I have read scouting reports, I am not sure what else to give you on Amir.

B2B
10-01-2009, 02:38 PM
I still disagree, I don't think I am under-estimating him. Let's say I give Bargs a "7" on the shot-blocking scale. That is a good rating, just because I might put Bosh as a 7.5 and Amir as an 8 doesn't mean I am under-estimating Bargs, like I said, if anything I am over-estimating Amir and Bosh.

u r doing both,

I think u r overating Bosh & possibly Amir. I also think u r under-estimating Bargnani's ability.

If I think Bargnani is rated better than Bosh and u don't. I think u r overestimating Bosh & underestimating Bargnani. Otherwise u would rate Bargnani higher than Bosh.

Because I have watched Amir play, I have heard what coaches have said about him, I have read scouting reports, I am not sure what else to give you on Amir.

This was the answer I was looking for as to why u think he will be better. U didn't say u had this information u just stated he would be our best shotblocker, I wanted to know why.

B2B
10-01-2009, 02:54 PM
It's a known fact when u spend time around an individual u pick up some of their habits & traits.

This was a point I made for DeRozan starting. When u play better competition your game gets better because in order to survive the competition u have to raise the level of your ability to match, u may be capable, u may not but the better competition forces it out of u, if u have it. DeRozan has the ability, force it out.

Bob_at_york
10-01-2009, 03:00 PM
u r doing both,

I think u r overating Bosh & possibly Amir. I also think u r under-estimating Bargnani's ability.

If I think Bargnani is rated better than Bosh and u don't. I think u r overestimating Bosh & underestimating Bargnani. Otherwise u would rate Bargnani higher than Bosh.
I feel Bargs did a good job blocking his own man at times, he would surprise them with his length but as a help defender defending the bucket, he isn't as good as Amir or Bosh in that category. I could almost see Barg's blocks go down this season because the opposition will know that he is there ready to block their shot.

B2B
10-01-2009, 03:04 PM
I feel Bargs did a good job blocking his own man at times, he would surprise them with his length but as a help defender defending the bucket, he isn't as good as Amir or Bosh in that category. I could almost see Barg's blocks go down this season because the opposition will know that he is there ready to block their shot.

I will bet that Bargnani will be our best shot blocker this year. His anticipation is deceptive & his blocks r controlled, which is better than getting a block and losing possesion.

phoenix_bladen
10-01-2009, 03:18 PM
it's cool we have all 3 of them blocking shots for us this year why argue ? lol

koreancabbage
10-01-2009, 06:14 PM
I will bet that Bargnani will be our best shot blocker this year. His anticipation is deceptive & his blocks r controlled, which is better than getting a block and losing possesion.

technically, we don't have possession if we block a shot... lol

B2B
10-01-2009, 10:30 PM
technically, we don't have possession if we block a shot... lol

Some players when they block shots tend to swat at the ball without direction ending a play but not gaining possession because they swatted the ball into the stands or wherever without controll.

A controlled block gives your team a chance to gain possession of the ball. When Bargnani blocks a shot it's usually controlled.

The Wise 1
10-01-2009, 11:00 PM

Bingo, I touched on this during the season. Yeah it was nice seeing Andrea get some blocks, but 99% of them were exactly how you described it. As far as his help D and contesting/altering players shots who are coming down the lane, he was awful. Bosh isnt that great of a shot blocker but he contests and alters more shots than Andrea.