PDA

View Full Version : Amir Johnson

Nexus
09-30-2009, 10:21 PM
Interviewer: "What would your ideal role with the team be? Would it be back-up powerforward or..like what would you pit yourself as?"

Amir: "You know I talked to the coach and he said you know he might be moving me to like a little bit three since I'm quick enough to guard a couple of three positions and I know I know how to play the 4 position that's my natural position. And I've been liftin' a little weights this offseason so I might be able to guard some 5s. I might be able to play all three of those positions."

http://www.hoopsaddict.com/exclusive-interview-with-amir-johnson/

I couldn't find the topic where we discussing his ability to play each position. I know there's some opinions out there that he can't play the three. Offensively, you might be right, but it is his best position defensively. Anyway, sorry for making a whole thread.

deaner
09-30-2009, 10:23 PM
in my opinion... this is very thread worth... glad you found this... I've been looking for info on his camp.

If he can guard the 3... he's a great asset on the floor... as he can play inside and rebound.

JermanJaysFan
09-30-2009, 10:47 PM
in my opinion... this is very thread worth... glad you found this... I've been looking for info on his camp.

If he can guard the 3... he's a great asset on the floor... as he can play inside and rebound.

Exactly- a guy that can rebound and score in the style of a big man but can defend the perimeter fits well with guys like Andrea and CB4. We saw it with guys like Pops and Marion.

secterm
10-01-2009, 12:54 AM
I'm not sure that anyone should call him a "perimeter defender" or even say his best defensive position is the three. I think that the guy is able to defend well against guys like Marion, Prince, Odom, Josh Smith, Marvin Williams, etc. But I don;t know that I really consider any of those guys true SF's. If anything he can defend hybrid 3/4's but even Amir was exploding with confidence at the possibility of playing SF. I've seen a good number of his games and I don't see him being successful guarding the majority of SF's...a few select hybrid, sure, but not much more than that.

JermanJaysFan
10-01-2009, 01:13 AM
I'm not sure that anyone should call him a "perimeter defender" or even say his best defensive position is the three. I think that the guy is able to defend well against guys like Marion, Prince, Odom, Josh Smith, Marvin Williams, etc. But I don;t know that I really consider any of those guys true SF's. If anything he can defend hybrid 3/4's but even Amir was exploding with confidence at the possibility of playing SF. I've seen a good number of his games and I don't see him being successful guarding the majority of SF's...a few select hybrid, sure, but not much more than that.

From what I understand, one of his big issues was defending big men without getting in foul trouble- he doesn't quite have the brawn to bang with those guys without hacking. Maybe the three is where he needs to be.

secterm
10-01-2009, 01:36 AM
From what I understand, one of his big issues was defending big men without getting in foul trouble- he doesn't quite have the brawn to bang with those guys without hacking. Maybe the three is where he needs to be.

Maybe you haven't seen him of late. He's put on some weight (he even alludes to that), and he's grown over the last couple years. The guy is a PF first and foremost, but he can play a bit of C and SF, though he can fill minutes against many more C's than he can SF's. The guy will not be effective against SF's that can create their own mid-range/perimeter shots, especially is they can dribble. For example, a guy like Hedo who plays SF would shred Amir, it would be a joke. I pointed out he would be effective against some of the hybrid SF/PF's, but only 10%-20% of the SF's fit that category.

B2B
10-01-2009, 12:35 PM
Interviewer: "What would your ideal role with the team be? Would it be back-up powerforward or..like what would you pit yourself as?"

Amir: "You know I talked to the coach and he said you know he might be moving me to like a little bit three since I'm quick enough to guard a couple of three positions and I know I know how to play the 4 position that's my natural position. And I've been liftin' a little weights this offseason so I might be able to guard some 5s. I might be able to play all three of those positions."

http://www.hoopsaddict.com/exclusive-interview-with-amir-johnson/

I couldn't find the topic where we discussing his ability to play each position. I know there's some opinions out there that he can't play the three. Offensively, you might be right, but it is his best position defensively. Anyway, sorry for making a whole thread.

It's in the trade thread.

I think our style of play will benefit his athleticism at the three. His attributes r energy, rebounding & blocks. If he can defend the three (quickness) isn't that what would compliment a Bosh/Bargnani front court. I will admit I haven't seen much of Amir but I think what he brings to the table plus our style of play compared to Detroits, he might be successfull because he wouldn't have to be able to create, that's why in that thread I drew comparisons to Marion (Athletic, can run the floor, good defender/rebounder who cannot create). It couldn't hurt to find out.

Secterm drew reference to Bargnani playing SF & mentioned it was unsuccessfull. I think Amir is more athletic, quicker, more agressive & shouldn't be compared to Bargnani in that situation. In my opinion he should be capable with our style of play, especially if we have a good defensive system in place to compliment a 3 big rotation.

B2B
10-01-2009, 12:47 PM

I went to the Detroit board, I looked at some old quote's of Amir playing or being able to play the 3. Some Detroit fans r under the opinion that he can't handle the smaller quicker 3's & some think he is best suited to be a 3 if he rounds out his offensive game. Since Bosh/Bargnani r both offensively oriented I don't see a problem with him having less of an offensive game. I'm just under the opinion that with our transition game, we would have the missmatch with Amir's athleticism & our size. Force the other team to go big insted of us going small.

3 mobile bigs 2 of which r athletic in a good defensive system, got to see it before I close the door on Amir playing the 3.

bartron_44
10-01-2009, 02:28 PM
If he brings toughness and rebounding like Evans will, than I like the competition. He will be a 3rd stringer at any of the 3 positions.His best shot at playing time is SF, but if Derozan picks up his game at the NBA level defensively, I can't see him logging many minutes there either...

secterm
10-01-2009, 06:42 PM
Triano may want to have Amir play a "LITTLE BIT" at the three, buts that's all it is. Amir will not be able to log significant minutes at the three. He is a big boy, I wouldn't be surprised if he ways more this year than Bosh did last year. I think that while he's athletic, his foot speed and lateral quickness can't compare to most SF's. He will play a few minutes here and there at the three, but nothing significant.

shifty
10-02-2009, 04:19 AM
Hes still listed at 6-9 210
Thats wrong. He is bigger and no three

secterm
10-02-2009, 04:53 PM

Yeah, he is definitely bigger. I wouldn't be suprised if he was close to 6'11" and 235 lbs.

MackSnackWrap
10-02-2009, 05:16 PM
Yeah, he is definitely bigger. I wouldn't be suprised if he was close to 6'11" and 235 lbs.

Ye thats prlly his actual height , but i think its good if he can play sf but i think its best if we keep him at pf and maybe c, i dun think hell have much success at the 3

Frank Costanza
10-04-2009, 05:43 PM
frank thinks amir makes trianos job the hardest this season, how will he squeeze this talent in with no injuries

The Wise 1
10-04-2009, 06:05 PM

I remember a couple of seasons ago (or maybe last season). The Pistons fans on another board were getting excited because he apparently grew to 6'11/7 footish.

secterm
10-04-2009, 07:20 PM
frank thinks amir makes trianos job the hardest this season, how will he squeeze this talent in with no injuries

No injuries, LOL.

Gibby
10-05-2009, 01:05 AM
Amir maye quick for a PF but dont think he can handle SF.

DraftExpress lists him as 6'10.

detroit buckets
10-08-2009, 02:48 AM
As a Piston fan, I've had a long standing love/hate relationship with Amir. He'll excite you with flashes, and frustrate you with a lack of intelligence and consistency.

His true height has always been a mystery. There was always varying reports each training camp. But 6'10 or 6'11 ... it really doesn't matter. He's got plenty of height and length and tons of hops to go with it. He just doesn't have that core strength you want from a legit big man.

The idea of Amir playing SF is comical to me. Defensively, he continuously got beat off the dribble, often falling down to the floor as his man blew past him. Or he'd react late and pick up a silly foul. Show him a hard jab step, and he's falling backwards. Offensively, you can't pull him too far from the basket, because the defense knows he's not a threat from outside, can slack off him and double up in the post. If you've got good ball movement, and guards penetrating, he'll cut to the basket for the dunk. He'll get most of his points on putbacks and garbage/hustle plays. He's a backup 4 that can be a decent help side defender at times. He'll struggle against thicker bigs who'll back him down, and look foolish against the newer hybrid PF that can play out on the perimeter and put the ball on the floor.

The biggest negative for him is that he's not the smartest of players. His inability to learn from past mistakes and his overall lack of understanding of the game hurt him big time. You have to remember that he only was able to play 2 of his 4 years in high school ... due to academics. And with no College experience, his knowledge and ability to grasp concepts is very limited. The kid oozes with athleticism, he just doesn't know what to do on the floor. His body's moving faster than his mind can work. And while I've seen him look like a decent mid range shooter (even extending to 3 point range actually) in warmups, he's scared to take the shot in game. No confidence.

He still hasn't learned to avoid contact when being a shot blocker. He'll pick up fouls in bunches. And watch out for moving screens. He'll get whistled for that at least once a game.

I think the quicker pace in Toronto can be a good thing for him. He'll run out on the break and be looking for the alley-oop. He'll throw his body in there for the rebounds. He's got the ability to gather 2 or 3 blocks a game. But he'll make alot of mental mistakes. Over and over again. But his attitude is good and he's a hustler. Take what you can get from him, just don't let your expectations get the best of you.

canzano55
10-08-2009, 11:38 AM
Thanks for the informed review ^^^

Admittedly the guy reminds me of Tyrus Thomas i.e. an athletic mule who needs a sheppard. Thankfully it seems we finally have a defensively capable staff with excellent enthusiasm and knowledge; so if Amir is willing he might transform into a more accomplished player.

Traditionally with age comes a greater sense of humility.

Nexus
10-08-2009, 12:04 PM
As a Piston fan, I've had a long standing love/hate relationship with Amir. He'll excite you with flashes, and frustrate you with a lack of intelligence and consistency.

His true height has always been a mystery. There was always varying reports each training camp. But 6'10 or 6'11 ... it really doesn't matter. He's got plenty of height and length and tons of hops to go with it. He just doesn't have that core strength you want from a legit big man.

The idea of Amir playing SF is comical to me. Defensively, he continuously got beat off the dribble, often falling down to the floor as his man blew past him. Or he'd react late and pick up a silly foul. Show him a hard jab step, and he's falling backwards. Offensively, you can't pull him too far from the basket, because the defense knows he's not a threat from outside, can slack off him and double up in the post. If you've got good ball movement, and guards penetrating, he'll cut to the basket for the dunk. He'll get most of his points on putbacks and garbage/hustle plays. He's a backup 4 that can be a decent help side defender at times. He'll struggle against thicker bigs who'll back him down, and look foolish against the newer hybrid PF that can play out on the perimeter and put the ball on the floor.

The biggest negative for him is that he's not the smartest of players. His inability to learn from past mistakes and his overall lack of understanding of the game hurt him big time. You have to remember that he only was able to play 2 of his 4 years in high school ... due to academics. And with no College experience, his knowledge and ability to grasp concepts is very limited. The kid oozes with athleticism, he just doesn't know what to do on the floor. His body's moving faster than his mind can work. And while I've seen him look like a decent mid range shooter (even extending to 3 point range actually) in warmups, he's scared to take the shot in game. No confidence.

He still hasn't learned to avoid contact when being a shot blocker. He'll pick up fouls in bunches. And watch out for moving screens. He'll get whistled for that at least once a game.

I think the quicker pace in Toronto can be a good thing for him. He'll run out on the break and be looking for the alley-oop. He'll throw his body in there for the rebounds. He's got the ability to gather 2 or 3 blocks a game. But he'll make alot of mental mistakes. Over and over again. But his attitude is good and he's a hustler. Take what you can get from him, just don't let your expectations get the best of you.

Thanks a lot dude. That's one of the best, "come in and post about your former player" posts I've ever seen.

Unfortunately sometimes the truth hurts. I seem to be gathering that he has somewhat of a basketball IQ ceiling that will prevent him from ever becoming a star in this league no matter how much atheleticism he oozes (ala Joey Graham).

When you said he doesn't know how to avoid contact it got me thinking about POB. POB's biggest strength might be his ability to get in passing lanes and block shots (hello wingspan) when rarely ever fouling.

A fasted paced team should really help him out, you're right.