PDA

View Full Version : Players and Medical Issues

Spurred1
09-30-2009, 09:50 PM
Do you think a player is hurting his reputation if he discloses that he's afflicted with a mental disorder such as depression or bipolar disease?
Or do you think that there is something commendable..for lack of a more fitting word..about a public figure admitting his personal problem? (Guess it may inspire others to seek help)

Wilson
09-30-2009, 09:59 PM
Do you think a player is hurting his reputation if he discloses that he's afflicted with a mental disorder such as depression or bipolar disease?
Or do you think that there is something commendable..for lack of a more fitting word..about a public figure admitting his personal problem? (Guess it may inspire others to seek help)

What do you mean by his reputation? I don't think it would hurt his reputation with other players and fans, although it might be seen as a red flag in the eyes of owners and coaches, who could possibly be less willing to offer a large contract.

I do think it would be good for a player to tell the public if he was suffering from any mental disorder. Lots of people may suffer from problems like the ones you mentioned, and having a professional athlete come forward with it could bring more attention to it, and make information more readily available. Sort of like Magic with AIDS.

Spurred1
09-30-2009, 10:04 PM
What do you mean by his reputation? I don't think it would hurt his reputation with other players and fans, although it might be seen as a red flag in the eyes of owners and coaches, who could possibly be less willing to offer a large contract.

I do think it would be good for a player to tell the public if he was suffering from any mental disorder. Lots of people may suffer from problems like the ones you mentioned, and having a professional athlete come forward with it could bring more attention to it, and make information more readily available. Sort of like Magic with AIDS.

I guess by reputation I mean his name and image.