PDA

View Full Version : Is Rajon Rondo Overrated?

AI4MVP
09-30-2009, 03:54 PM
This is not a thread hating on Rondo, i just want to simply know if you think Rajon Rondo is overrated, underrated, or just right

DLeeicious
09-30-2009, 04:02 PM
He does some things well and other things not so well. He is very quick, but he is dumb as rocks. If he weren't playing with the guys he was playing with he would be very average but he is considered by many as above average and therefore I think he is overrated. And I hate him because he is dirty.

Chronz
09-30-2009, 04:04 PM
I would say overrated, but there are far too many guys who try to diminish his stature because he plays with the big 3. The players you play with impact you, but they do not transform you. Its not like he can go to from an All-Star caliber pointman, into an average player without the Big 3. Mostly the heckling comes from Bulls fans, heck just look above.

bbcmillionaire
09-30-2009, 04:06 PM
kinda........screw it he's overrated lol

ChitownbullsBG7
09-30-2009, 04:08 PM
Eh, overrated by Celts fans but underrated by everyone else.

I think Rondo would have been good wherever he would have played but those guys he plays with now makes it easier for him and helps out on his mistakes.

I bet if Rondo was on anybody elses team that his rebounding points and assist wouldnt be too far off.

I always thought it was funny when people say look who he has around him. Because those same people say he cant show his talent because he has too many people around him.

Point is Rondo still has to deliver the passes on point, he has to still find people. The guy is an amazing point. He is definately top 7 in the league when it comes to pg's.

29$JerZ
09-30-2009, 04:13 PM
Overrated.

He's an above average PG at best.

Defense, quickness and can rack up assist. But Last I checked he can't hit a shot to save his life and most of those triple doubles came when KG was out. Boston doesn't have much rebounders outside KG/Perkins. I don't consider Big Baby an average rebounder at all.

He's good for what he is but I don't see him as a Top 10 Pg.

championships
09-30-2009, 04:17 PM
Overrated, But my opinion is biased.;)

thephoenixson28
09-30-2009, 04:17 PM
I think he is overrated like I been saying, just like I said the same thing about bynum. He is a average Pg on a great team. Some say he is better than nash :shrugs: but I don't know where they got that idea.

Kyben36
09-30-2009, 04:20 PM
Slightly over, but not signifigantly, He is a great player, but the fact that he has 3 bonafide allstars next to him lets him get more open looks.

sofargone
09-30-2009, 04:32 PM
very overrated, id like to see him play on a team without the big 3

ManRam
09-30-2009, 04:41 PM

He was the Celtics best player in the playoffs. Allen isn't "big" anymore, he's just a run-around screens shooter. Pierce is big, but KG was out.

He's the best PG in the East in my opinion. His all around game beats any other eastern conference PG. He's amazing defensively, an amazing passer, he can penetrate, rebound, his ball handling is phenomenal, he's clutch. He's not a good shooter, but he's still better than Rose and Harris in that regard. His 50% FG% is amazing for a PG too.

Great player. He's overrated by some, but underrated by just as many. I said "just right".

tsb77
09-30-2009, 04:46 PM
he is dumb as rocks.

:laugh: :laugh: :laugh:

Says the kid with the Derrick Rose sig

ManRam
09-30-2009, 04:48 PM
:laugh: :laugh: :laugh:

Says the kid with the Derrick Rose sig

Haha. You win. Derrick Rose is easily the stupidest person in the NBA. Between SATs, and him being the worst interview in all of sports, no Bulls fan should ever comment on that.

AI4MVP
09-30-2009, 04:48 PM
Ok...before i go on. id like to say that i dont think Rajon Rondo is a bad player> he does everything that HE CAN and hes pretty good at making the most of his abilites, and its not his fault that he is very very very very overrated.

he is an average point guard in my opinion, and is no where near a top point guard in the league.

Here is a list of point guards id rather start my team with:

(note that players like steve nash, jason kidd, chauncey billups, ect. are not on the list bcause they are not going to be in there prime/arent in there prime, but i still believe they are better players then rondo)

the list is in NO particular order. tey are just players id rather have:

Chris Paul
Deron Williams
Devin Harris
Derrick Rose
Tony Parker
Jameer Nelson
Russell Westbrook
Jose Calderon
Rodney Stuckey
Raymond Felton
DJ Augustin
Brandon Jennings
Jonny Flynn
Tyreke Evans
Stephen Curry
Ricky Rubio
Ty Lawson

i know it might hurt/surpirse/shock you that the bolded players are on this list, but thats just because youve been brainwashed by the media, boston fans, and one series against the bulls that rondo is a top point guard in this league, which in reality, hes not.

I know some of the people on that list have not even played a possesion in the nba yet, but im telling you that in my opinion, i would rather start my team with those rookie point guards then with rajon rondo and where he is in his career.

just wait til his contract with boston runs out and he goes somewhere else(because boston front office HATES rondo). his avergeness will show. its ridiculous when people say hes better then rose and devin harris. the bulls wouldnt have even come close to the playoffs if they switched rose for rondo, and the nets wouldnt have been near the race for the 8th spot. the only thing rondo does is get the opposing team in foul trouble, drop a few dimes, and yes ill admit he plays good defense, which is why i am not saying hes a BAD player. just a very average player who would not be even talked about for a second if he was on a team that didnt win

all that being said, he is the perfect point guard for the boston celtics and there style of play

bbcmillionaire
09-30-2009, 04:50 PM
Haha. You win. Derrick Rose is easily the stupidest person in the NBA. Between SATs, and him being the worst interview in all of sports, no Bulls fan should ever comment on that.

you would sell your soul for either rose or rondo damn magic fan:D

MackSnackWrap
09-30-2009, 04:53 PM
Yeah hes most definitely overated

Odominator
09-30-2009, 04:54 PM
He was the Celtics best player in the playoffs. Allen isn't "big" anymore, he's just a run-around screens shooter. Pierce is big, but KG was out.

He's the best PG in the East in my opinion. His all around game beats any other eastern conference PG. He's amazing defensively, an amazing passer, he can penetrate, rebound, his ball handling is phenomenal, he's clutch. He's not a good shooter, but he's still better than Rose and Harris in that regard. His 50% FG% is amazing for a PG too.

Great player. He's overrated by some, but underrated by just as many. I said "just right".

He certainly has a very big ego.

Jamiecballer
09-30-2009, 05:00 PM

well that's not exactly up to him now is it? geez...

sofargone
09-30-2009, 05:04 PM
well that's not exactly up to him now is it? geez...
are you going to tell me that playing with three of the best bball players doesnt improve his game? that it doesnt make him maybe look better than he is? that it doesnt overrate him? yes or no?

ManRam
09-30-2009, 05:08 PM
He certainly has a very big ego.

Who was the most blatantly stuck up, egotistical, self obsessed person to play basketball? Michael Jordan.

Having an ego is positive trait in basketball, especially when you still average 8 assists a game.

And bbcmillionaire...I'm content with Nelson. Offensive force, amazing chemistry with Dwight. Watch his first half of last season (ALL STAR, something Rose and Rondo weren't) not be a fluke. I wouldn't sell my soul, let alone my 18 year old, blind dog for Rose or Rondo. But I would rather have Rajon.

ManRam
09-30-2009, 05:10 PM

Chris Paul
Deron Williams
Devin Harris
Derrick Rose
Tony Parker
Jameer Nelson
Russell Westbrook
Jose Calderon
Rodney Stuckey
Raymond Felton
DJ Augustin
Brandon Jennings
Jonny Flynn
Tyreke Evans
Stephen Curry
Ricky Rubio
Ty Lawson

You are certifiably crazy.

Just look at what Rondo did in the playoffs, as the second option and primary option. Not to mention that he is head and shoulders better defensively than everyone on that list not name Paul.

I guess there's a reason you are an AI fan. All you care about is stats and offense, not winning games and playing defense...and having a flawless all around game.

AI4MVP
09-30-2009, 05:11 PM
not only is jameer nelson better then rajon rondo, but so is rose, harris, calderon,felton,jennings, flynn, evans, curry, rubio, way more player better then rondo.

IRUAM #21
09-30-2009, 05:13 PM
not only is jameer nelson better then rajon rondo, but so is rose, harris, calderon,felton,jennings, flynn, evans, curry, rubio, way more player better then rondo.

How ? Jennings, Flynn, Evans, Curry and Rubio haven't even played a game yet.

AI4MVP
09-30-2009, 05:13 PM
You are certifiably crazy.

Just look at what Rondo did in the playoffs, as the second option and primary option. Not to mention that he is head and shoulders better defensively than everyone on that list not name Paul.

I guess there's a reason you are an AI fan. All you care about is stats and offense, not winning games and playing defense...and having a flawless all around game.

not true at all. rondo believe it or notis actually one of my favorite players in the league because of his toughness, dirtness, and defense. but i do believe hes highly overrated, and doesnt have as much skills as the players i mentioned in my list

AI4MVP
09-30-2009, 05:14 PM
if rajon rondo is one of the best point guards in the game then chris anderson is one of the best big man in the game

AI4MVP
09-30-2009, 05:17 PM
How ? Jennings, Flynn, Evans, Curry and Rubio haven't even played a game yet.

they h ave more skills then rondo and id rather start my team with them as rookie point guards then with rondo right now

bigsams50
09-30-2009, 05:18 PM
they h ave more skills then rondo and id rather start my team with them as rookie point guards then with rondo right now

really? you must really not like rondo

AI4MVP
09-30-2009, 05:24 PM
really? you must really not like rondo

no. ironically hes one of my favorite players. i just think hes really overrated and i think players like your boy raymond felton are much better and if they were put on the celts theyd be considered just as good as rajon ronod is considered by the people that voerrate him

magichatnumber9
09-30-2009, 05:27 PM
very overrated, id like to see him play on a team without the big 3What is that suppose to prove. Kobe was on crappy teams and the only good that did was get him accused of rape and ask multiple times for trades.

ChiSox219
09-30-2009, 05:29 PM
I don't like Rondo, but he's not really overrated. 2K sports declaring him a top 10 player is a bit much though.

Rondo is an awful shooter, i mean Shaq is a better jumpshooter. Once he fixes that problem he could be top 10

sofargone
09-30-2009, 05:38 PM
What is that suppose to prove. Kobe was on crappy teams and the only good that did was get him accused of rape and ask multiple times for trades.
im just saying if he didnt have so many high profile players around him would he still have such high assist totals? Would he stand out on a bad team? you cant argue against that fact that being on one of the best team creates anomalies in his stats

Lakerfan In NY
09-30-2009, 05:45 PM
I don't understand you guys w/ this he's overrated...How high are you guys rating him? I thought he was rated as a solid PG. Good defender... Good passer...on a title contender... Not an Allstar yet but has a good upside. How is he overrated? & i hate Boston, but he's not overrated. In terms of being a solid PG. W/ Allstar potential.

AIMelo=KillaDUO
09-30-2009, 05:49 PM
[QUOTE=AI4MVP;10961322]Ok...before i go on. id like to say that i dont think Rajon Rondo is a bad player> he does everything that HE CAN and hes pretty good at making the most of his abilites, and its not his fault that he is very very very very overrated.

he is an average point guard in my opinion, and is no where near a top point guard in the league.

(note that players like steve nash, jason kidd, chauncey billups, ect. are not on the list bcause they are not going to be in there prime/arent in there prime, but i still believe they are better players then rondo)

Chris Paul
Deron Williams
Devin Harris
Derrick Rose
Tony Parker
Jameer Nelson
Russell Westbrook
Jose Calderon
Rodney Stuckey
Raymond Felton
DJ Augustin
Brandon Jennings
Jonny Flynn
Tyreke Evans
Stephen Curry
Ricky Rubio
Ty Lawson

How can you choose half of those bolded guys? they havent played a single game in the NBA yet?

Raymond felton?? bum... did you not watch the playoffs? rondo avged. a triple double!!!!

Lakerfan In NY
09-30-2009, 05:49 PM
What is that suppose to prove. Kobe was on crappy teams and the only good that did was get him accused of rape and ask multiple times for trades.

What in gods name are you talking about? When he was accused of rape that team when to the finals...After asking to be traded they were in the finals & won a championship the next yrs, So what is the point your trying to make?

JNA17
09-30-2009, 05:50 PM
I'll consider Rondo just right when he get's a better jumpshot then shaq

Lil Rhody
09-30-2009, 05:57 PM
He is high on the radar because of the team he plays on but come on guys he is in the better half of PGs. I love the Celtics and I see all this hype around him and imo he isnt worth the alllll hype but he is a great defender, passer, and yeah his shot is not good at all but jeez its gonna be his 4th year this year give the damn kid time to grow into a real point

heattiltheend94
09-30-2009, 06:14 PM
He's underrated.
2nd best on Celtics to KG.

Wilson
09-30-2009, 06:21 PM
He's rated about right I think. I thought he was the perfect role player in the '08 play-offs, but proved himself to be much more than that in '09. If he can play anywhere close to that this season, you'll be able to make a legitimate case for him being a top-three point guard.

cmellofan15
09-30-2009, 06:22 PM
a bulls fan saying another pg is dumb as rocks :pity:

cmellofan15
09-30-2009, 06:26 PM
Ok...before i go on. id like to say that i dont think Rajon Rondo is a bad player> he does everything that HE CAN and hes pretty good at making the most of his abilites, and its not his fault that he is very very very very overrated.

Chris Paul
Deron Williams
Devin Harris
Derrick Rose
Tony Parker
Jameer Nelson
Russell Westbrook
Jose Calderon
Rodney Stuckey
Raymond Felton
DJ Augustin
Brandon Jennings
Jonny Flynn
Tyreke Evans
Stephen Curry
Ricky Rubio
Ty Lawson

i know it might hurt/surpirse/shock you that the bolded players are on this list, but thats just because youve been brainwashed by the media, boston fans, and one series against the bulls that rondo is a top point guard in this league, which in reality, hes not.

I know some of the people on that list have not even played a possesion in the nba yet, but im telling you that in my opinion, i would rather start my team with those rookie point guards then with rajon rondo and where he is in his career.

just wait til his contract with boston runs out and he goes somewhere else(because boston front office HATES rondo). his avergeness will show. its ridiculous when people say hes better then rose and devin harris. the bulls wouldnt have even come close to the playoffs if they switched rose for rondo, and the nets wouldnt have been near the race for the 8th spot. the only thing rondo does is get the opposing team in foul trouble, drop a few dimes, and yes ill admit he plays good defense, which is why i am not saying hes a BAD player. just a very average player who would not be even talked about for a second if he was on a team that didnt win

all that being said, he is the perfect point guard for the boston celtics and there style of play

Billups is better than all of those players but the first two and I've never seen an average player get multiple triple doubles in the post season.

xxxplicit69
09-30-2009, 06:31 PM
rondo is just has effective with boston as fisher is with the lakers. rondo is a defensive monstor at Point and pentrates to the basket like parker. he has definately been the X-factor for boston outside of the big 3.

and for the Rose comment, wow really, i dont know who your team is but rose should eat your teams PG for breakfast, lets not engage in stupid talk, this forum is about rondo.

atl_braves_fan
09-30-2009, 06:31 PM
Way overrated.

FOBolous
09-30-2009, 06:33 PM
he's just right. I see him having a Jason Kidd kind of career...great at everything but scoring. but he WILL score in double figures and will flirt with triple doubles throughout his career.

Ray_R
09-30-2009, 06:37 PM
u can throw any PG in there and get the same results

cmellofan15
09-30-2009, 06:42 PM
rondo is just has effective with boston as fisher is with the lakers. rondo is a defensive monstor at Point and pentrates to the basket like parker. he has definately been the X-factor for boston outside of the big 3.

and for the Rose comment, wow really, i dont know who your team is but rose should eat your teams PG for breakfast, lets not engage in stupid talk, this forum is about rondo.

I sure hope your not talking about Chauncey Billups. When Derricks Rose was having his little "spurts" against the Celtics, Billups was busy being the best Point Guard in the Playoffs.

cmellofan15
09-30-2009, 06:45 PM
he's just right. I see him having a Jason Kidd kind of career...great at everything but scoring. but he WILL score in double figures and will flirt with triple doubles throughout his career.

Well right now he has KG and Pierce which makes him see like he's getting fed with a silver spoon. When Kidd was taking his team to the playoffs he only had K-Mart and Jefferson. The skill sets are similar but Rondo is on a smaller scale

ChitownbullsBG7
09-30-2009, 06:58 PM
Well right now he has KG and Pierce which makes him see like he's getting fed with a silver spoon. When Kidd was taking his team to the playoffs he only had K-Mart and Jefferson. The skill sets are similar but Rondo is on a smaller scale

Kidd was good before NJ sir.

cmellofan15
09-30-2009, 07:07 PM
Kidd was good before NJ sir.

Yeah, but Jefferson and K Mart are more comparable to KG and Pierce than that Suns team, which was pretty stacked.

Super.
09-30-2009, 07:21 PM
you would sell your soul for either rose or rondo damn magic fan:D

A Healthy Jameer is better than Rose is.

:eyebrow:

MrFastBreak
09-30-2009, 07:22 PM
If he works on that jumpshot he'll be rated just right.

bbd24
09-30-2009, 07:37 PM
Everyones worried about his jumpshot. Why ? If you sag off him he still beats you with his quickness and gets to the rim for a layup or dish to KG. Ask D. Rose if you don't believe it.

You are never overrated when your a pass first, pass second player who plays point guard. He fits his position perfectly. Can drop a dime, can get to the rim at will, and can play solid defense. If thats overrated I'll take it on my favorite team all...damn...day.

You seen his handles ? He can out dribble anyone and is faster with the ball in his hands then most are without.

And how old is he ? 23 ? Kid is just barely starting out in the league. Wait til he actually garners some experience and actually 'develops' even more of his game.

You can call him overrated, you can call him underrated. " Straight Nasty Ball Playa " fits better if you ask me.

TWENTY FRIGGIN THREE ? Watch yo back.

Sportfan
09-30-2009, 07:50 PM
both, some people do overrate him and call him a top 5 ppg which he is defitanty not. Then there are people who have a horrible Basketball IQ and say things like this:

JNA17
09-30-2009, 07:52 PM

pretty much :clap:

ManRam
09-30-2009, 10:18 PM
Rondo is an awful shooter, i mean Shaq is a better jumpshooter. Once he fixes that problem he could be top 10

That's definitely the biggest knock on him. Thing his, he still shoots better from three than Harris and Rose...and he knows he isn't a great shooter, so he doesn't shoot a ton of bad shots. His FG% is above 50%. That's amazing for a PG. He rarely makes bad plays.

He has no other flaws in his game.

Toenail Clipper
09-30-2009, 10:43 PM
Rondo thinks he's so overrated that he has the right to push Kobe and punch Brad Miller.
That *******

AI4MVP
09-30-2009, 10:51 PM
if u put jrue holiday at point guard for the celts he does just as good if not better.

i know that the playoffs are what really matters, but have u guys seen his regular season stats? there not that impressive. dude wasnt even an allstar.

i know what he did in the playoffs are impressive, but excuse me i dont judge a players credibility on what he did in one series against a rookie point guard

ManRam
09-30-2009, 10:51 PM
Rondo thinks he's so overrated that he has the right to push Kobe and punch Brad Miller.
That *******

Who hasn't hit, or punched, or shoved anyone else in the league? Why doesn't everyone consider Dwight dirty, or Fisher, or Perkins, or Dahntay, or Kenyon, or Anthony Johnson, or Andrew Bynum, or Kobe Bryant etc.

The only reason people whine about Rondo is because one of his didn't get called...and he's on the Celtics.

He's not a dirty player. Two incidents don't make you a dirty player. There are a ton of players who play dirty 100% of the time. Rondo has done two dirty acts in his career.

And even so, being dirty doesn't make you overrated.

Rondo has miraculously gone from being overrated, to now being the most underrated player in the league. I'd take him on my team over any other PG in the East. He has one flaw, three point shooting, and he's smart enough (unlike Harris or Rose) to not shoot it that much...and when he does, he's still better than both of them. He's also BY FAR the best defensive PG in the East.

ManRam
09-30-2009, 10:54 PM
if u put jrue holiday at point guard for the celts he does just as good if not better.

i know that the playoffs are what really matters, but have u guys seen his regular season stats? there not that impressive. dude wasnt even an allstar.

i know what he did in the playoffs are impressive, but excuse me i dont judge a players credibility on what he did in one series against a rookie point guard

Neither were 95% of those guys (and scrubs) you said were better than him. No one buying that you are a Rondo fan. No fan of him would say RODNEY STUCKY, and every soon to be rookie PG is better than Rondo, who carried his team in the first two rounds of the playoffs last year. He was the best Celtic in the playoffs...without a doubt.

So playoff performance means nothing? Makes sense for an AI fan I guess...

Dude has no flaws in his game...besides 3 point shooting, and he's smart enough to realize it. You can't fault him for the team he's no. No PG would deal with that role better than him. He's the consummate pro. He can be the first option, and he can be the fifth. He's the perfect PG for the Celtics...and showed he can dominate even without KG...or even without an effective Ray Ray.

He'll be an all-star this year, book it. Wow...I must sound like the biggest C fan ever...puke.

Wilson
09-30-2009, 11:04 PM
Neither were 95% of those guys (and scrubs) you said were better than him. No one buying that you are a Rondo fan. No fan of him would say RODNEY STUCKY, and every soon to be rookie PG is better than Rondo, who carried his team in the first two rounds of the playoffs last year. He was the best Celtic in the playoffs...without a doubt.

Dude has no flaws in his game...besides 3 point shooting, and he's smart enough to realize it. You can't fault him for the team he's no. No PG would deal with that role better than him. He's the consummate pro. He can be the first option, and he can be the fifth. He's the perfect PG for the Celtics...and showed he can dominate even without KG...or even without an effective Ray Ray.

He'll be an all-star this year, book it. Wow...I must sound like the biggest C fan ever...puke.

:laugh2: :laugh2: It doesn't feed good, does it?

Nice post, agreed all the way.

AI4MVP
09-30-2009, 11:08 PM
i guess this arguement will never be truely settled til rondo goes elsewhere(like the boston front office desperately tried to do this offseason), because watch..when he becomes the best player on his team/first option, that team will for sure miss the playoffs.

AI4MVP
09-30-2009, 11:10 PM

im an AI fan because of his heart, tougness, passion for the game, and cause he proves the height doesnt matter.

toovey107
09-30-2009, 11:12 PM
Everyones worried about his jumpshot. Why ? If you sag off him he still beats you with his quickness and gets to the rim for a layup or dish to KG. Ask D. Rose if you don't believe it.

You are never overrated when your a pass first, pass second player who plays point guard. He fits his position perfectly. Can drop a dime, can get to the rim at will, and can play solid defense. If thats overrated I'll take it on my favorite team all...damn...day.

You seen his handles ? He can out dribble anyone and is faster with the ball in his hands then most are without.

And how old is he ? 23 ? Kid is just barely starting out in the league. Wait til he actually garners some experience and actually 'develops' even more of his game.

You can call him overrated, you can call him underrated. " Straight Nasty Ball Playa " fits better if you ask me.

TWENTY FRIGGIN THREE ? Watch yo back.

Well, because when you are left wide open or when the ball is swung around .. you need to bury the shot.

Yeah , ask a guy who was a bad defender last year ... most rookies are.

:eyebrow: haha very comical.

toovey107
09-30-2009, 11:13 PM
im an AI fan because of his heart, tougness, passion for the game, and cause he proves the height doesnt matter.

Haha, height actually plays a huge role for a lot of guys.

Toenail Clipper
09-30-2009, 11:15 PM
Who hasn't hit, or punched, or shoved anyone else in the league? Why doesn't everyone consider Dwight dirty, or Fisher, or Perkins, or Dahntay, or Kenyon, or Anthony Johnson, or Andrew Bynum, or Kobe Bryant etc.

The only reason people whine about Rondo is because one of his didn't get called...and he's on the Celtics.

He's not a dirty player. Two incidents don't make you a dirty player. There are a ton of players who play dirty 100% of the time. Rondo has done two dirty acts in his career.

And even so, being dirty doesn't make you overrated.

Rondo has miraculously gone from being overrated, to now being the most underrated player in the league. I'd take him on my team over any other PG in the East. He has one flaw, three point shooting, and he's smart enough (unlike Harris or Rose) to not shoot it that much...and when he does, he's still better than both of them. He's also BY FAR the best defensive PG in the East.

How about when Rondo tosses Hinrich to the sidelines?
I'm pretty sure he has more.
And he's not that great. Once an unknown player goes to an elite team, they suddenly become "good" such as Rondo, Ariza, Nelson, and Mo Williams. Face it, if you take away Garnett and Allen, he's nothing.

We the kings
09-30-2009, 11:17 PM
He's overrated.

AI4MVP
09-30-2009, 11:18 PM
cant wait til my boy brandon jennings plays this fool and absolutely owns him. ill take a sig bet with any celts fan. after the first regular season bucks vs. celtics game, if brandon jennings outplays rondo you put a pic of branding jennings(i get to choose the pic), and vise versa

AI4MVP
09-30-2009, 11:19 PM
Haha, height actually plays a huge role for a lot of guys.

i know..but u know what i mean lol

jim51990
09-30-2009, 11:23 PM
i dont get how people can say hes overrated when he was the best player on a team with paul pierce and ray allen on it in the playoffs . also the once kg got hurt he got even better due so hed be even better without the big 3

jim51990
09-30-2009, 11:25 PM
and to the other guy jennings will be a bust in 5 years he will be fighting just for a spot on a team

BkOriginalOne
09-30-2009, 11:33 PM
Rondo is a top 5 two way PG in the NBA, and I would argue top 15 2 way player in the NBA.

Rondo is all NBA defense material, and in a differnt system, he could get numbers which look like 18,9,6,2. A lot of people will say he is overrated because he plays with 3 HOFs and that he has no jumpshot. Offensively, he is missing some shooting. But for his slashing ability and everything else he does on the floor, I would take him over a lot of other NBA PGs.

AI4MVP
09-30-2009, 11:34 PM
and to the other guy jennings will be a bust in 5 years he will be fighting just for a spot on a team

youve prolly never even seen jennings play . if u have then u wouldnt be saying that.

WeaponX4life
09-30-2009, 11:51 PM
As a Celtics fan he's overrated in my opinion. Does well when it comes to certain aspects of the game where he can utilize his speed and quickness but he's a horrible decision maker in my opinion. Seems like some gangster bum just trying to ball in the league.

AI4MVP
10-01-2009, 12:01 AM
i wonder what celts fans are gunna say when hes not playing for boston anymore. his contract runs up after this season and danny ainge hates rondo. we all know it. so im curious to see where he will go

zambo4president
10-01-2009, 12:57 AM
Hellllll yeah he is overrated.

Ace33Bone
10-01-2009, 10:22 AM
IMO... I feel that Rondo is rating is just right... He has vastly improved his game and the only thing that he is lacking is a consistent jumpshot and a 3-pointer

Ace33Bone
10-01-2009, 10:26 AM
Ok...before i go on. id like to say that i dont think

Chris Paul
Deron Williams
Devin Harris
Derrick Rose
Tony Parker
Jameer Nelson
Russell Westbrook
Jose Calderon
Rodney Stuckey
Raymond Felton
DJ Augustin
Brandon Jennings
Jonny Flynn
Tyreke Evans
Stephen Curry
Ricky Rubio
Ty Lawson

[/B]

I also feel that these bolded player are not currently better than rondo... I think a lot of people don't like rondo but I would take him over some of these guys as well as the ones you already bolded

azkarraga
10-01-2009, 10:45 AM
Overrated. He's good, but he's not the new Kidd.

Jakeem
10-01-2009, 11:32 AM
He's just right. He's very good and should only get better.

nitric
10-01-2009, 11:33 AM
He's overrated by the media and by the fans.

ZHawk1123
10-01-2009, 11:44 AM

Chris Paul
Deron Williams
Devin Harris
Derrick Rose
Tony Parker
Jameer Nelson
Russell Westbrook
Jose Calderon
Rodney Stuckey
Raymond Felton
DJ Augustin
Brandon Jennings
Jonny Flynn
Tyreke Evans
Stephen Curry
Ricky Rubio
Ty Lawson

This is all that comment deserves: :laugh2:

bigsams50
10-01-2009, 11:54 AM
I have a feeling this thread was made because of the 2k10 rankings

rathauneak
10-01-2009, 12:16 PM
All around he is a good point guard. He rebounds well, pushes the ball well, finds scorers in their spots, and plays good D. He can score pretty good, but can't shoot. All seem like no-brainers for NBA PG's, but there are not a lot of PG's in the league that can do all that he does...hence him being ranked a lot higher than other PG's. As someone said earlier, he is the perfect PG for the team that Boston has. I'm sure he'll be effective where ever he goes, but I wouldn't expect him to be asked to carry a team to a championship (i.e. Rose, Paul, Harris.

bbd24
10-01-2009, 12:21 PM
Well, because when you are left wide open or when the ball is swung around .. you need to bury the shot.

Yeah , ask a guy who was a bad defender last year ... most rookies are.

:eyebrow: haha very comical.

Heres the problem with your thinking. When he's left wide open, he takes it to the hoop for an easy layup. He doesn't settle for jumpshots because he's damn quick, and gets to the rim if you sag or play up on him. It doesn't matter. Quickness wins.

Thats the reason he shot so well from the field last year and was among the top in FG% among guards. He's burying a shot, it just so happens its a dunk or a layup because of his quickness. I have no problem with that.

bbd24
10-01-2009, 12:25 PM
The thing with Rondo is that he has one knock on him. His jumpshot. EVERYTHING else, he does well. Exceptionally well. Defends, Steals, Rebounds, Assists, Scores.

He's 23. What happens when he's 26 and has time in this league ?

Straight Nasty Ball Playa. Thats what happens.

pelmen84
10-01-2009, 02:41 PM
He is overrated. Period!

He does have good defense...but most of the time he can just gamble and play passing lanes, let people go by and try to get a steal from behind, or leave his man and try to get a steal from the other player...

Do not get me wrong he does have defensive skills but if you put him on the team that does not have KG and Perkins(underrated and very ugly) in front court...thing would change...

Rebounds i will give him an edge-- he can rebound very well, but again due to his teammates actually boxing people out...

Assists is a complete different story... common you have Ray Allen, one of the best shooters ever to play in NBA...catch and shoot.... u just got 10 assists...

His Offense in general: very one dimensional

get to the basket and either pass or get a lay up

No 3pt, no jumper, no post up...

His own team wanted to trade him

Strumpy
10-01-2009, 03:25 PM
There's alotta hate towards Rondo on this forum. Everyone wanted to see the #1 pick take down the Garnett-less defending champions in one of the greatest playoff series off all time (which I might add was simply amazing!), but instead the cocky, dirty, mouthy kid from the Celts won.

Do I think he's overrated? No. He's been knocked down by fans and analysts and even his own GM (Remember when Rondo's agent hinted at a max contract and Ainge laughed?).

Do I think his stats are inflated? Absolutely. he's playing with a sure hall of famer and 2 questionable hall of famers. Of course his stats are gonna look nice!

In the end we don't know anything about Rondo. We have to see him with good players and not godly players.

AI4MVP
10-01-2009, 03:46 PM
the oe thing rondo is good at is making the best of his lack of skills.

the only reason the guy is rated at all is because of one series of the playoffs. a 7 game stretch.

the only thing i can call rajon rondo right now isthe best role player point guard in the NBA. Hes the perfect fit for that. hes the perfect fit for the celtics.

but he can never be the MAIN guy. He can never be the number one option. he can never be the best player on a team or else that team will suffer greatly.How many other point guards that are "great" can u say that about? derrick rose took his team to the playoffs in his first year. deron williams carried his team a couple years after he was drafted. same with CP3. Devin Harris gave his team a shot at the race for the eighth. But honestly. Rajon Rondo in place of any of those players would be the complete doom of the team. Honestly imagine it to yourself. If you swapped Rondo for Rose, do u think the bulls would have made the playoffs? if ur answer is yes then ur answer is wrong.

Hugbees
10-01-2009, 04:05 PM
the 87 rating in 2k10 says it all, WOW...
while kevin durant has an 82.

AI4MVP
10-01-2009, 05:22 PM
i dont care about 2k10 rating. i just care that people think hes so great because of one series. get over it

Raph12
10-01-2009, 05:27 PM
Yes he's overrated, but still a great player

bbd24
10-01-2009, 05:44 PM
i dont care about 2k10 rating. i just care that people think hes so great because of one series. get over it

One series ?

He's a world champion, takes more than one series to do that.

He's also only 23 years old. Shoot, come 33, he might have a 97 NBA 2k20 rating.

Ray_R
10-01-2009, 05:47 PM
Im gay. I love men. Homosexual.

how u gonna diss me like that with my iq and my quote

AI4MVP
10-01-2009, 05:52 PM
One series ?

He's a world champion, takes more than one series to do that.

He's also only 23 years old. Shoot, come 33, he might have a 97 NBA 2k20 rating.

kendrick perkins is also a world champion. it doesnt mean he lead his team to a championship. i hate when peiople say "rondo lead his team to a championship." no he didnt. he lead them just as much as perkins and big baby and powe did.

i swear, Rodrigue Beaubois(rookie point guard for the dallas mavs from france) is just as good as Rajon Rondo. he can do everythig rondo can do. put Rodrigue Beaubois on the celts and hed get just as much praise as rondo

Litchris12
10-01-2009, 05:56 PM
overrated and still dont have a consistent jump shot

MackSnackWrap
10-01-2009, 06:02 PM
overrated and still dont have a consistent jump shot

ye his Jumpshot is sooo inconsistent

bbd24
10-01-2009, 06:54 PM
kendrick perkins is also a world champion. it doesnt mean he lead his team to a championship. i hate when peiople say "rondo lead his team to a championship." no he didnt. he lead them just as much as perkins and big baby and powe did.

i swear, Rodrigue Beaubois(rookie point guard for the dallas mavs from france) is just as good as Rajon Rondo. he can do everythig rondo can do. put Rodrigue Beaubois on the celts and hed get just as much praise as rondo

Where did you hear, 'Rondo lead his team to a championship' ? I didn't say that.

Its a team effort. Always will be.

How are you claming Beaubois is better than Rondo ? Tell him to go prove it. You have nothing to go off to make that claim, btw.

bbd24
10-01-2009, 07:06 PM
ye his Jumpshot is sooo inconsistent

I'd love to have an inconsistent jumpshot but yet be 1st in the entire Eastern Conference (minimum 300 attempts) in FG% among guards (.505% , 383/759 FGmade/Attempted).

23 yr old kid can't shoot but somehow shoots 50% from the field. Hmmmm.

Does Jose Calderon not have a jumpshot as well ? (.497%, 320/644)

No jumpshot or not, Rondo's shot wherever it may be from is going in. Bottom line.

Again, his quickness allows him to get to the hoop if your sagging or up on him on defense. He makes buckets regardless. Speed kills.

AI4MVP
10-01-2009, 07:21 PM
Where did you hear, 'Rondo lead his team to a championship' ? I didn't say that.

Its a team effort. Always will be.

How are you claming Beaubois is better than Rondo ? Tell him to go prove it. You have nothing to go off to make that claim, btw.

im simply saying that I BELIEVE that if beaubois was in the place of rondo hed do just as good, the celtics would definelty do just as good, and that beaubois wud put up the same type numbers and eceive the same recognition as rondo

ZHawk1123
10-01-2009, 10:54 PM
im simply saying that I BELIEVE that if beaubois was in the place of rondo hed do just as good, the celtics would definelty do just as good, and that beaubois wud put up the same type numbers and eceive the same recognition as rondo

Son... How old are you? You know nothing about basketball... Just stop filling PSD with your nonsense...

Chronz
10-02-2009, 10:51 AM
I dont think Ive ever agreed with an AI fan on anything... ever

jimbobjarree
10-02-2009, 11:14 AM
he is on 2k, massively, he was up in the 90s in the last game, and in the new one his ratings are so close to Deron Williams its criminal

not hating on him though, I like him and the Celtics, he's just not on the level that I view Paul, Deron, Billups, Parker and Nash are on IMO.

pelmen84
10-02-2009, 11:16 AM
I'd love to have an inconsistent jumpshot but yet be 1st in the entire Eastern Conference (minimum 300 attempts) in FG% among guards (.505% , 383/759 FGmade/Attempted).

23 yr old kid can't shoot but somehow shoots 50% from the field. Hmmmm.

Does Jose Calderon not have a jumpshot as well ? (.497%, 320/644)

No jumpshot or not, Rondo's shot wherever it may be from is going in. Bottom line.

Again, his quickness allows him to get to the hoop if your sagging or up on him on defense. He makes buckets regardless. Speed kills.

Do you know that layups and dunks count as field goals?

Yea missing 1 out of 2 layups is pretty good statistic LOL

Ishkabibble
10-02-2009, 11:35 AM
AI4 should be hospitalized for such a profoundly dumb post.

Rondo is 23 and there's zero chance he's finished his development. All this "if he didn't play with the Big Three" stuff is ridiculous cuz guess what; he DOES play with the Big Three. Peyton Manning without Reggie Wayne; Joe Montana without Jerry Rice....what's the point?

You want overrrated, look @ Hakeem....er, Andrew Bynum with the Lakers, who been nothing other than pedestrian despite non-stop overhype by LAL apologists.

bigsams50
10-02-2009, 11:39 AM

:pity:

RaptorizedKevin
10-03-2009, 12:13 AM
Rondo is very overated. the man is so sick, his plays are sweet i keep practiing them to see that in a real game. i love his passes but he lacks great poin guard skills. He cant not shoot for his life. hes a terrible free throw shooter, and a shooter in general. he has very good lateral quickness and can rebound well. but he cant score as much as he should. 11.5 pts isnt great. and yet people think hes one of the best in the legue? hes more of a highlites type of guy who can make big plays that have alot of action and stuf,, but hell no hes not an allstar. he is 100% overeated.

29$JerZ
10-03-2009, 12:22 AM
He can do everything but create offense for himself and others.
Getting high assit doesn't make you a good play maker. Having guys like Allen will make him look like a better floor leader.

He is above average as a PG but nothing more.

bbd24
10-03-2009, 09:15 AM
Do you know that layups and dunks count as field goals?

Yea missing 1 out of 2 layups is pretty good statistic LOL

Care to tell us how many layups and dunks he missed last yr?

The answer would be 0 .

Don't post if your throwing out things that are inaccurate Obama.

Corey
10-03-2009, 09:50 AM
He's definitely overrated by a lot of people, but he's a damn solid player. His scoring numbers will go up once the big three leave, so he'll probably get even more overrated in a few years...But there's no denying he's a solid young point guard with good upside.

BiG bAd BrUiNs
10-03-2009, 10:38 AM
As a Boston fan, I think Rondo might be a bit overrated. But that's what you get when you have a good young player with a huge ceiling like Rondo.

vash9
10-03-2009, 10:49 AM
he's an average point guard to me. i see him as the mini J-Kidd with hall of fame teammates.

i don't see him reaching superstar level anytime soon..

Pierce, Allen, and Garnett gone = Rondo lose.

But as long as those guys are on the team, i think he's pretty good, just overrated.

magichatnumber9
10-03-2009, 11:30 AM
All eyes on Rajon this season. But seriously, what is the biggest question come the end of the season. Can so and so play at an elite level in the playoffs. For 2 years Rondo has answered the call and thats good enough for me.

azkarraga
10-03-2009, 11:33 AM
If you look for intelligence and basketball IQ on the PG spot, then he's highly overrated.

If you don't look for that, then close the thread.

BoltLakerPadre
10-03-2009, 12:15 PM
Based on his Slam Ranking, I would say that his is totally overrated. He has a talented team of vets, and if anything makes a point guards job easy, it's having vets who know where to go and how to play. His individual play isn't that great, and getting capped by Rose at the end of the single best game of last years playoffs really convinced me that he isn't an individual talent.

Hugbees
10-03-2009, 12:33 PM

But doesn't it add to the consensus that he overrated? So yes, this is apart of your question, like it or not, because it is hard to justify the rating itself and gives you a reason to believe that many people are over enamored with him.

bigsams50
10-03-2009, 12:43 PM
Based on his Slam Ranking, I would say that his is totally overrated. He has a talented team of vets, and if anything makes a point guards job easy, it's having vets who know where to go and how to play. His individual play isn't that great, and getting capped by Rose at the end of the single best game of last years playoffs really convinced me that he isn't an individual talent.

THat one play convinced you? You cant define a player by just one play the kid nearly averaged a TRIPLE DOUBLE.

Hustla23
10-03-2009, 01:27 PM
He better not be overrated this season.

I took him with my second pick !

jdricks
10-03-2009, 01:51 PM

Allen is still big because he can come out and average 20+ a night if it wasnt for the vast amount of talent on the team.

So you are Jose Caulderon is an amazing passer when he averaged more assisted. Devin Harris averaged just under 1 more than Rondo did.

On the FG%, he shoots a crap load of floater and layups and thats a very deceiving number. Any shoot outside of like 10 feet is a nice brick for him. Yea his percentage is higher than Rose and Harris but they also score more in a variety of ways and must put up big numbers to win. There is a reason teams back off Rondo anywhere on the perimeter and just limit his play in the paint.

Yes he is good, but not great. He got into a great situation in Boston and thats why he seems like a point guard god. Put him on any other team and he is average. I say he is overrated.

Lil Rhody
10-03-2009, 02:01 PM
Come on its only his 4th season this year let the kid grow into a complete player

SeoulBeatz
10-03-2009, 02:31 PM
here is my honest opinion on Rondo.

I think he is a very talented player. He put up NEAR triple double numbers in the playoffs last year without KG. But he is also an impossible player to truly gauge because he still had pierce and allen on his team. say all u want, but both those guys are still allstar caliber players.

he is free to do what he does best which is fake and penetrate to the basket for an easy layup/floater or a nice dish to one a cutting or stationary player.

he gambles a lot too and while some may call that stingy/good defense it often ends up being reckless and he gets caught in foul trouble alot.

watching him play though and comparing him to the rest of the elite pg's in the league, i just dont know if hes the type of player id want on my team.

he works well in boston because they have such great scorers on the perimeter that rondo is never double covered. thus his outside shot is never really exploited.

but trust me, I AM a better outside shooter than rajon rondo, and that is saying a lot seeing as how he's, u know, in the NBA and all.

its not like he's just bad at shooting, he can't shoot. period. its not like he can get streaky from outside... nah, he cant shoot, whether it be lack of confidence or he just never could, i dont know, but if he were PG of any other team (besides the lakers) that would be a huge factor.

so in the end. i really dont know how to judge rondo.

he is the epitome of a "system player", but thats not a knock on him, there's nothing wrong with being great at the system ur in. but when people say he's a top 5-7 pg, i cant agree.

i like him and respect his game because hes doing it big for a good team, but i just dont trust him if that makes any sense.

IDB Josh M
10-03-2009, 02:34 PM
From a Laker's Fan: Overrated. I'm willing to admit I'm biased. But until he can do the things he does without KG and Allen, then I'll be sold. To be far though, despite my opinion of him, I do think he's the 3rd best young point guard in the league (third behind CP3 and Derron Williams).

AI4MVP
10-03-2009, 03:26 PM
the ONLY thing that he does better then average point guards is getting guys in foul trouble and rebounding.

theimortalone
10-05-2009, 02:01 AM
if rajon rondo is one of the best point guards in the game then chris anderson is one of the best big man in the game

Dude, you need to lay off the crack son! Really, if Rondo is one of the best point guards, then Anderson is one of the big men in the game? :crazy:

Ishkabibble
10-05-2009, 11:36 AM
What's with the "because he has the Big Three" part of this? I see no one knocking Joe Montana because he threw to the greatest WR to ever play the sport? You play with who you play with. Period. These "if he played in Memphis..." arguments are pointless and flat-out stupid.
Bottom line: Rondo is not a good shooter but has a FG % of 50 because he's a genuine PG and wants to distribute the ball. 11 APG and over two Steals; c'mon; this guy is a player and is no doubt still improving. The Triple-Double he averaged last postseason was over a FIFTEEN game period, by the way.

JoeSchroeduh
10-05-2009, 12:22 PM
Look at his head to head stats against the top point guards in the league.

EVERY SINGLE TIME this dude goes up against a Chris Paul, Deron Williams, Steve Nash, Derrick Rose... he tears them apart.

The ONLY place he is overrated is on 2K10... he might even be underrated in the media, especially after this offseason when there were rumors of him being traded "Oh, he's not that important"... dude is going to be a max contract player before the end of his career, no question about it.

magichatnumber9
10-05-2009, 12:40 PM
150 plus votes and many posts. This kids stock is rising. It's nice to be noticed. Listen Rondo does not have to be a Chris Paul super duper star, he is fun to watch and he gets the job done. That's all you should want from the point