PDA

View Full Version : Why is the NBA Season in Winter and not the Summer?

Talick
09-30-2009, 03:19 PM
It may be a stupid question but I'm just wondering? Why did it start that way, and why is it still that way. I mean summer is more logically basketball season. Its understandable for the NHL and the NFL to both play through the winter (because they are both cold weather sports) and the MLB to play in the summer because it is more of a laid back, non-strenuous summer sport.

But why is the NBA playing over winter? Wouldn't it be more easy from a marketing standpoint to put you league to compete against the MLB instead of both the NFL and the NHL? Or is there something else I'm missing here, like something to do with arena operating costs (since most NBA and NHL cities share the same arena)

abe_froman
09-30-2009, 03:23 PM
because its played indoors.it was invented to give people something to do during the winter

BradHolt4CYoung
09-30-2009, 03:23 PM
It's played inside. The weather does not effect it at all. And because Baseball is THE WHOLE summer basically. they don't want 2 major sports going on at the same time for the whole season.

JordansBulls
09-30-2009, 04:07 PM
because its played indoors.it was invented to give people something to do during the winter

:nod:

29$JerZ
09-30-2009, 04:10 PM
My guess would be with its 1 less sport to compete with for air time.

Baseball is Summer.

Also NFL can't compete with the NBA as much as you think. It's 16 games vs 82. Those games are played all on Sunday/Monday and on Thanksgiving.

NHL still hasn't reached the popularity that MLB/NBA/NFL currently are.

lorenz00
09-30-2009, 04:39 PM
because basketball is a indoor game.. im not saying u cant play outside in summer

lorenz00
09-30-2009, 04:40 PM
My guess would be with its 1 less sport to compete with for air time.

Baseball is Summer.

Also NFL can't compete with the NBA as much as you think. It's 16 games vs 82. Those games are played all on Sunday/Monday and on Thanksgiving.

NHL still hasn't reached the popularity that MLB/NBA/NFL currently are.

NHL in canada is the most popular sports Lol

MackSnackWrap
09-30-2009, 04:55 PM
So people have something to watch during the winter since baseball and football and sports like that are not going

ZebraCity916
09-30-2009, 05:09 PM
Maybe something to do with the Summer Olympics????

sofargone
09-30-2009, 05:14 PM
i used to think about this too...then i realized bball is an indoor sport. but then why is football played during winter?

Ironman5219
09-30-2009, 05:16 PM
We need something to watch when football season is over, you don't really think people still watch mlb do you?

ZebraCity916
09-30-2009, 05:20 PM
We need something to watch when football season is over, you don't really think people still watch mlb do you?

:laugh:

aNYer
09-30-2009, 06:59 PM
I was thinking about this not to long ago. I think they just can't switch no with out screwing something up and back in the day baseball was the top dog. I wish it started around playoff for the NFL. But as someone who watches very little hockey its not interfering with much of anything for me.

FOBolous
09-30-2009, 07:01 PM
because the summer is too hot :shrug:

Raph12
10-01-2009, 01:42 AM
It may be a stupid question but I'm just wondering? Why did it start that way, and why is it still that way. I mean summer is more logically basketball season. Its understandable for the NHL and the NFL to both play through the winter (because they are both cold weather sports) and the MLB to play in the summer because it is more of a laid back, non-strenuous summer sport.

But why is the NBA playing over winter? Wouldn't it be more easy from a marketing standpoint to put you league to compete against the MLB instead of both the NFL and the NHL? Or is there something else I'm missing here, like something to do with arena operating costs (since most NBA and NHL cities share the same arena)

Because most people don't want to sit home watching games during summer. Winter is cold in most places, not alot of people are in a rush to leave their home, so the timing is right and there are less sports to compete with.

abe_froman
10-01-2009, 01:44 AM
i used to think about this too...then i realized bball is an indoor sport. but then why is football played during winter?

because football really isnt,its played in the fall.now as to why the nfl is played through winter,with popularity comes adding games so its pushed though a good chunk of winter as a result.but of course they, unlike you, have millions of dollars in equipment to keep the field from becoming over a foot of snow(because i doubt your up for a game after shoveling a field to play in)

ChiBulls91
10-02-2009, 01:25 AM
I dont know why this thread is still going...this should have been the end of the thread:

aNYer
10-02-2009, 02:10 AM
thats actually a good point. In the south of Argentina (that was known only for soccer) its too cold to play soccer so they took to basketball, and that seems to have worked for them.

GAWDtv
10-02-2009, 09:30 AM
Needed a winter indoor sport for the northeners and since Basketball was born and raised in the north by a canadian no less and honed in NY...