PDA

View Full Version : Kenyon Martin: Games With Replacement Refs Will Be 'Terrible'

S.J.Basketball
09-30-2009, 01:41 AM
http://nba.fanhouse.com/2009/09/29/kenyon-martin-games-with-replacement-refs-will-be-terrible/

DENVER -- Kenyon Martin can joke a little about replacement officials. Overall, though, he doesn't think it's too funny.

In an interview with FanHouse, Martin said he believes games will be "terrible'' with the replacements.

"I joked the other day with [Tim Grgurich] and Jamahl Mosley,'' the Denver Nuggets feisty forward said about talking to a pair of assistant coaches. "I'm going to get suspended in the first month of the season. I'm going to have 15 technicals in the first month just for the simple fact [replacement officials] don't know how I run my mouth. They don't know how I approach the game.''

They might find out in a hurry. Martin and his Nuggets play Thursday at Utah in the NBA preseason opener and first game using replacement referees.

Martin isn't too happy the NBA hasn't been able to reach an agreement with officials over a new contract. With officials not agreeing to some monetary concessions, the league has locked them out and brought in replacements.

"If they want the extra benefits, I don't know why they can't get it,'' Martin said. "Give [the officials that] in order to keep the game the same way. Because the game is going to be terrible with those replacements.

"It will be terrible. I believe guys will get more technicals. But that's probably what [the NBA is] looking for, more money. There are going to be more ejections. Tempers are going to be even worse. Attitudes are going to be even worse.''Martin was told the NBA donates money from fines to charities so the league wouldn't make more money off technicals and ejections. But that didn't slow down Martin.

"It's going to be pretty bad,'' Martin said of NBA games. "The replacement refs, there's no way they're used to the pace of the game. ... The guys, except the rookies, they know the guys [in the NBA]. They know how to call the game if I'm playing, if Chauncey [Billups, a Denver guard] is playing, if [Allen Iverson, a Memphis guard] is playing. They know because we've been around.

"They know how we can talk to certain refs. Certain guys know me. I don't mean no harm sometimes. I might get out of line sometimes. But, for the most part, I get a little leeway. But with the [replacement officials], I don't have that leeway. ... You know how you can approach certain refs, what you can say to certain refs.''

Despite any leeway, Martin has incurred many fines, ejections and suspensions over his nine-year career. He had 10 technicals last season, five shy of the number that results in a one-game suspension.

Teammate Carmelo Anthony reached 15 last season, but NBA rules did not call for a suspension because No. 15 came in Denver's final regular-season game. But Anthony isn't worried about replacement officials."It's refs,'' Anthony said. "They'll learn the game. They watch films. Some refs, they've reffed [the NBA] game before. We got to play. They got to ref.''

Nuggets coach George Karl also isn't getting too bent out of shape about the replacements.

"I think there will be just more emotion in the game, more verbal confrontation of calls,'' Karl said. "To me, I think the players should just, at least in the first four to six games, not worry about it and just play through it. Understand we'll get good whistles and we'll probably get some bad whistles. ... Coaches think refereeing is bad no matter how good it is.''

Karl sees a positive in that some replacements who do well later could become regular officials. Still, he's hoping "sooner than later we'll have the first-class guys back in the league.''

Until then, Nuggets guard Anthony Carter believes there could be some rough patches.
"It's always going to be tough when you have a whole new set of refs,'' Carter said. "The other refs kind of know what other players do and what their moves are. Who's flopping? It's going to be a big challenge for them. ... They're going to be cursed out a little bit. They just have to have thick skin. They're going to miss calls, and we're going to be complaining. But that's part of the job.''

Martin sure is complaining. He's pointing a finger at NBA commissioner David Stern to get the lockout settled.

"To get [the officials] back, it's ain't on nobody else,'' Martin said. "It's on David Stern to get it done. Ain't nobody else but on him to get it done.''

Sorry if this is a repost. Just merge it if it is plz.

Am I the only one who doesn't see replacement refs as a big deal? I actually think it's time to clean house anyways and maybe certain calls that go by will be called. I was surprised by Anthony though. I agree with his comments. They gotta ref and we gotta play. That's all there is to it. I'm sorry if they don't KNOW your antics Martin. I hope they T the hell out of his ***.

clutchski
09-30-2009, 02:09 AM
Sweet so he has the same opinion as most of us.

Apparently some of the calls replacement refs make are really, really bad.

Kohaku
09-30-2009, 02:13 AM
It's kmart. Trash talking and aggressive style is part of his game.

DenButsu
09-30-2009, 02:27 AM
He was joking about getting 15 Ts in one month, but I think it's actually a really astute point that hasn't been discussed enough, that officiating NBA games is not just limited to understanding the rules of the game, but it also requires an awareness of the on-court culture, the personality quirks of the players, etc. I think of when Artest and Kobe were talking to each other while Kobe was taking his FTs on Artest's foul, and the TV commentators said the officials should break that up, but I thought it was actually an example of them doing the right thing by not interfering because it really wasn't that bad and they were just talking each other up. Replacement refs will probably handle situations like that much more poorly, just having less of a feel for the players. So, good point, K-Mart. I hope they get it worked out by the regular season at least.

AllTheWay
09-30-2009, 02:50 AM
Good, he shouldn't get leeway for *****ing, nor should any player. It gets annoying to see NBA players complain on every call, so replacement refs may fix that.

DenButsu
09-30-2009, 04:39 AM
Good, he shouldn't get leeway for *****ing, nor should any player. It gets annoying to see NBA players complain on every call, so replacement refs may fix that.

Did he say he wanted to get "leeway for *****ing"? I think you may have read a different article than I did...

Chronz
09-30-2009, 03:06 PM
Its ridiculous how fans actually want the replacements to come in.

aNYer
09-30-2009, 06:53 PM
I think most the refs suck. Hopefully because the refs are new they will not be biased the ways the are. I am sure eventually they will develop their own but at first we might see games called properly. Lets not act like these refs don't have biases, part of the Donaghy(spelling?) controversy is that he would hand over info about those ref's biases.
And I think the refs miss a fair share of calls. If these refs are horrible it will make the real refs look better, if they don't miss a beat then I don't see the NBA folding to the real refs.

bal_ravens
09-30-2009, 07:06 PM
Did he say he wanted to get "leeway for *****ing"? I think you may have read a different article than I did...

Well he did say he gets leeway, and with the new refs he wouldnt get it so...

GoatMilk
09-30-2009, 07:10 PM
he's setting himself up

when he starts mouthing off and stuff, he's just gonna blame the refs

Wilson
09-30-2009, 08:15 PM
We need to remember that the league won't just be pulling random people off of the street. Guys coming in to ref will be former players, and former college refs. The former players will know how to deal with whatever goes on as far as talking and stuff, and will hopefully allow more leeway in foul calls.

The officiating got really out of hand in the play-offs, there were a number of games where teams shot over thirty free throws. In the LA/Denver series, I think there were eighty+ free throws in each of the first two games. That's way too much.

There are no guarantees about how these replacement refs are going to perform, but with former players in the mix hopefully we'll at least get a more physical game, quicker game.

FOBolous
09-30-2009, 08:27 PM
the real refs aren't that great anyways. either way the calls are going to be bad. makes no difference to me.

LakeShowRaider
09-30-2009, 08:27 PM
Interesting article...

But the real question is what the **** is up with your sig? Thats soooo 3 years ago. lol

DenButsu
09-30-2009, 08:29 PM
Well he did say he gets leeway, and with the new refs he wouldnt get it so...

I think what he meant was that he gets leeway for things that he actually shouldn't be penalized for in the first place, but could be easily misconstrued when heard by people who aren't familiar with him.

Also, alltheway, you're a Lakers fan, right? As Kobe's one of the biggest talkers in the game, you may want to be careful what you wish for, because you just might get it.