PDA

View Full Version : How good will Kevin Durant get?

JordansBulls
09-30-2009, 12:19 AM
Will he end up one day the best player in the league? Or will he be top 3 in the league as far as his ceiling is concerned?

Remember he is only 21 this season.

AllTheWay
09-30-2009, 12:21 AM
He will be the best player in the league one day.

Yes, better than Lebron.

Baldyy
09-30-2009, 12:29 AM
He'll never be better overall than Lebron, maybe one day the best scorer in the league, and overall top 5 I can see, but not best overall player.

Raph12
09-30-2009, 12:32 AM
He may be the league's top scorer one day, but a top 3 player is a bit of a stretch IMO, sort of depends on his development. If he develops his inside game, his slashing, his passing and his defense, than we could put him into the "Top 3 - Top 5" conversation.

abe_froman
09-30-2009, 12:34 AM
can see top 10 maybe 5

29$JerZ
09-30-2009, 12:41 AM
Potential wise there isn't a reason to believe why he can't be a Top 3 player in the league in the near future.

As of now he still needs to develop consistency on the defensive end and his team has to start improving too. Hard to say someone will be a Top whatever player if the team he plays on is a constant lottery team.

B.JenningsMVP
09-30-2009, 01:58 AM
Better than Lebron, Melo, Wade..

xxxplicit69
09-30-2009, 02:06 AM
I think he'll level out around the same production he had last year. to score 25+ ppg is no easy task. I can see him scoring a lil more some years but for the most part in that neighborhood of that. Its about getting a winning team around him now. He's definately one of the better small forwards in the game today.

ChiSox219
09-30-2009, 03:05 AM
In 5 years:

Lebron
Durant
Roy
Rose
Howard

bigsams50
09-30-2009, 07:29 AM
2nd best, not better than lebron

Raps18-19 Champ
09-30-2009, 08:14 AM
Top 3.

JordansBulls
09-30-2009, 08:25 AM
In 5 years:

Lebron
Durant
Roy
Rose
Howard

Pretty good list. But you expect Roy, Durant and Rose to be better than Dwight who is only 23?

ChiSox219
09-30-2009, 08:34 AM
Pretty good list. But you expect Roy, Durant and Rose to be better than Dwight who is only 23?

Who knows, there could be another phenom drafted within that time frame that cracks the top 5 and knocks off one of the guys listed. I didnt intend it as 1-5, just the top 5.

Dwight could be Shaq 2.0, but at the same time Durant looks amazing, and Roy posted similar win shares/PER to Kobe this past season. Only time will tell, but I like where the NBA is headed...

Carey
09-30-2009, 08:36 AM
He spent the summer gaining 15 lbs, working on his post game, defense and passing. He's already a lethal scorer, the added weight will help his post game, help him absorb contact, which will boost his ft attempts and make his game that more efficient for a guy who already shot 47% from the field. He's learning how to make players around him better and became a better playmaker last year. He played well defensively in stretches last year, look for more consistency in that dept this year, he also lead our team in steals and can be a Josh Smith type shot blocker. I dont think it's out of the realm of possibility that he can be the best player in the league at some point, top 3 easy.

Ace33Bone
09-30-2009, 08:44 AM
I don't ever think that he will be better than LBJ but i do think that he will lead the league in scoring for numerous years to come

SchyGuy11
09-30-2009, 08:56 AM
if having him on a franchise in nba 2k9 is any true sign i can tell you in a couple of years he will improve to a 97

BkOriginalOne
09-30-2009, 09:57 AM
Healthy, he willl be a better shooting version of Tmac.

wileyisTOFU
09-30-2009, 10:25 AM
if having him on a franchise in nba 2k9 is any true sign i can tell you in a couple of years he will improve to a 97

werrd

GAWDtv
09-30-2009, 10:28 AM
He should do Ray Allen like career...

mrtrey1992
09-30-2009, 10:32 AM
i think he has a chance of being top 5 players in the nba

KnicksorBust
09-30-2009, 10:57 AM
In 5 years:

Lebron
Howard
Durant
Roy
Granger

Fixed.

Markg
09-30-2009, 11:59 AM

Good point, but that's obviously not always a sure sign...

What about guys like Steve Francis, Damon Staudamire, Larry Johnson and Derrick Coleman. All ROY, all had monster first few seasons and then faded into above-averageness. After their rookie years each of these guys was considered to have potential to be a top 5 NBA players, but none of them ever came close.
Say these guys were all 3rd year players in NBA Live 99, if you got to 2009 they would have progressed to all 95+. But look at them all 10 years into their career and a video game wouldn't rate any of them higher than a 75.

It's really far too early to be talking about Durant (or any other 21 year old) as being an eventual lock as one best players in the game. It's safe to say he will be a top 5 scorer(he pretty much is already), but there are many factors to consider - including luck - which we won't know until deep into his career.

JordansBulls
09-30-2009, 12:22 PM
Fixed.

Granger isn't going to improve much anymore.

Oefarmy2005
09-30-2009, 12:37 PM
I would say that will be better than Lebron - only when Lebron is 40 and Durant is 37, so basically he'll only be better than Lebron if James retires. So possibly 3rd best behind Howard in a few years, but on the other hand - I'll take Chris Paul over both Howard and Durant. Roy shouldn't even be in the consideration for top 5. He's basically the same as Granger or J. Johnson, he's only upside over them is age IMO, but I am a Twolves fan - so I am a little sour about him not playing for us. Here's my list in five years:

1.Lebron
2.Howard
3.Wade
4.Paul
5.Durant
6. Melo
7. Roy - this is where I'd put him at this point

Double_R
09-30-2009, 12:58 PM
1.Lebron
2.Howard
3.Wade
4.Paul

He won't break that top 4

Everybody keeps saying he's only 21, well all those guys are in their early 20s as well outside of Wade(27)

He will be a top flight scorer at best, I heard someone say a better shooting version of Tmac... He doesn't pass or shoot like Tmac yet, who Is a helluva shooter

Lakerfan In NY
09-30-2009, 01:19 PM
15- 20 pounds of muscle from being the BEST IN THE LEAGUE....

sofargone
09-30-2009, 02:19 PM
hell be an explosive scorer top 5 in the league for years to come but never number 1

Oefarmy2005
09-30-2009, 02:41 PM
15- 20 pounds of muscle from being the BEST IN THE LEAGUE....

Even if he put on 30 pounds, there is no way he's better the James - no way.

ATX
09-30-2009, 02:43 PM
Durant has all the tools to become a top 3 player in this league.

Carey
09-30-2009, 02:59 PM

Okay he's already a better pure scorer then Lebron is, He'll never be the passer or physical presence Lebron, Lebron developed defensively and KD will do the same. I think its a little harsh to say he'll never be better then Lebron, he has a real chance

JayW_1023
09-30-2009, 03:06 PM
He has a long way to go.

dimedrpr
09-30-2009, 03:14 PM
He spent the summer gaining 15 lbs, working on his post game, defense and passing. He's already a lethal scorer, the added weight will help his post game, help him absorb contact, which will boost his ft attempts and make his game that more efficient for a guy who already shot 47% from the field. He's learning how to make players around him better and became a better playmaker last year. He played well defensively in stretches last year, look for more consistency in that dept this year, he also lead our team in steals and can be a Josh Smith type shot blocker. I dont think it's out of the realm of possibility that he can be the best player in the league at some point, top 3 easy.

Good analysis. As a Thunder fan I watched every game of his last year (most home games in person) and as much as I hate to compare anyone to Michael, Magic, or Larry....When he raises up to shoot it's like watching Bird shoot back in the day, you know it's going in and it's so effortless. It's a beautiful thing to watch KD play. I think he'll be top 3 and I think he's top 10 right now. Last year he started to rebound and defend better and that will only continue to improve because he has a solid work ethic.

BradHolt4CYoung
09-30-2009, 03:20 PM
in 2 years, Lebron will be the best, Durant is next, then Wade

PHX2daDEATH
09-30-2009, 03:51 PM
I say Durant becomes a top 3 player by the time he's 25..especially if he stays in OKC, hes got a good and talented squad, better then anything LeBron's ever had......

Carey
09-30-2009, 04:01 PM
He won't break that top 4

Everybody keeps saying he's only 21, well all those guys are in their early 20s as well outside of Wade(27)

He will be a top flight scorer at best, I heard someone say a better shooting version of Tmac... He doesn't pass or shoot like Tmac yet, who Is a helluva shooter

I know its tough because OKC doesnt get any nationally televised games but if you look at him for a whole game it would be easy to see he's a better shooter then T-Mac, He's one of the better pure shooters in the entire league

AI4MVP
09-30-2009, 04:05 PM
i think eventually the debate will be "whos the best playe rin the league? wade, lebron, or durant" and in my honest opinion, i think durant will be better then lebron and wade and i think hell be the best player in the nba

JordansBulls
09-30-2009, 04:37 PM
i think eventually the debate will be "whos the best playe rin the league? wade, lebron, or durant" and in my honest opinion, i think durant will be better then lebron and wade and i think hell be the best player in the nba

Ultimately he will be judged by if he can turn a losing organization for years into a winning one.

Lakerfan In NY
09-30-2009, 04:59 PM

Don't let the ESPNlebron hype fool you. LBJ is in his 6 yr as a pro & has ONLY rely on his athleticisms, strength & the fact that the NBA is looking to crown the next Jordan to get by. There has been very little improvement in his game. He still an Inconsistent jump shooter. Still at 6'9" 255lbs refuses to punish defenders in the paint. Still around 76% FT shooter. K Durant is a complete monster...With better fundmental than LBJ...better Shooter...Only reason he isn't a better defender is b/c he light in the a ss. I'll bet on KD..sooner than most people think.

ChiSox219
09-30-2009, 05:20 PM
Don't let the ESPNlebron hype fool you. LBJ is in his 6 yr as a pro & has ONLY rely on his athleticisms, strength & the fact that the NBA is looking to crown the next Jordan to get by. There has been very little improvement in his game. He still an Inconsistent jump shooter. Still at 6'9" 255lbs refuses to punish defenders in the paint. Still around 76% FT shooter. K Durant is a complete monster...With better fundmental than LBJ...better Shooter...Only reason he isn't a better defender is b/c he light in the a ss. I'll bet on KD..sooner than most people think.

Reeks of hate.

Lakerfan In NY
09-30-2009, 05:55 PM
Reeks of hate.

Not hate...Just like to see poeple earn the right to be called the next MJ The King fits him, they dont earn the crown either.

JNA17
09-30-2009, 06:12 PM
Top 3 or best in the nba in the next 3 or 4 years. He's got a few skills that lebron will most likely never have

JWO35
09-30-2009, 06:42 PM
Best Player in the NBA within 5yrs (Yes! I said it)

Wilson
09-30-2009, 06:49 PM
He may be the league's top scorer one day, but a top 3 player is a bit of a stretch IMO, sort of depends on his development. If he develops his inside game, his slashing, his passing and his defense, than we could put him into the "Top 3 - Top 5" conversation.

Agreed.

ChiSox219
09-30-2009, 07:04 PM
Not hate...Just like to see poeple earn the right to be called the next MJ The King fits him, they dont earn the crown either.

He's the best player in the league right now, not his fault he gets compared to MJ.

JNA17
09-30-2009, 07:55 PM
He's the best player in the league right now, not his fault he gets compared to MJ.

it's other way around. Lebron is 95% of the time compared to kobe, kobe is 95% compared to MJ.

HouRealCoach
09-30-2009, 08:02 PM
Anything can happen.... He can end up the best OR he can be broken down by injuries it can go either way

MrFastBreak
09-30-2009, 08:14 PM
He'll be top 3. Behind LeBron and Melo.

Hawkeye15
09-30-2009, 08:34 PM
chance to be the best. I for sure see him being an MVP candidate for a number of years in his prime. He is ridiculous. He will have a tough time overtaking LeBron, but he is for sure a top 2-3 player candidate. 30-7 for his prime I think. The Thunder will need to make a little noise for him to get that recognition, but they should in a couple of years.

Hawkeye15
09-30-2009, 08:34 PM
I think he catches Melo this year.

MackSnackWrap
09-30-2009, 08:56 PM
He will be the best player in the league one day.

Yes, better than Lebron.

NEVER, he will not be better than lebron, an allstart caliber player but he will be top 5 in the league at some point for 2 to 3 seasons IMO

what54!?
09-30-2009, 09:05 PM
At best: T-mac in his prime

At worst: rashard lewis ( which would be bad)

JordansBulls
09-30-2009, 09:21 PM
I think he catches Melo this year.

He needs to make the playoffs first.

mrblisterdundee
09-30-2009, 09:50 PM
Kevin Durant will challenge LeBron James for the title of best small forward in the NBA. I imagine him one day having the versatility of LeBron with the shooting ability of Carmello, and eventually the clutch mentality of Kobe.
It's going to be a tough competition in the future, being named the best in the NBA. When he gets near 30, all of the currently serious MVP candidates should have slowed down a bit. His main competition will be Derrick Rose, or some other great prospect that comes along. I don't see anybody in his generation other than Rose being a legitimate challenger.

Hawkeye15
09-30-2009, 09:51 PM
He needs to make the playoffs first.

I don't think you penalize a player for his team structure. If Durant had the cast Melo did, they are in the playoffs.
And I also think OKC is in the mix for the 8th seed this season. So, that is why I say, he could pass Melo this year.

JayW_1023
10-01-2009, 05:21 AM
I like Kevin Durant, but he hasn't done anything yet to warrant him becoming a superstar. We know he can score...but he still needs alot of work to round out his game.

Personally...it's not even clear if Durant will be the best player on his own team. Russell Westbrook may well become the better player when it's said and done.

PHX2daDEATH
10-01-2009, 06:41 AM
Durant will be better than T-MAC...Durant was born to play basketball.. once he gets stronger and more experienced, he is going to be unstoppable.. Watch his highlights, you see traces of bird , magic, jordan..and he's only 21!!

bigsams50
10-01-2009, 07:04 AM
Durant needs to work on his d before he could ever be mentioned with lebron or kobe

JordansBulls
10-01-2009, 08:10 AM
He'll be top 3. Behind LeBron and Melo.

You think Melo will be 2nd best player in the league one day?

Double_R
10-01-2009, 08:51 AM
LIke I said before, he will be like a T-Mac/Rashard Lewis/carmello type player, a good scorer, and decent rebounder, and can change some shot due to his length, but outside of that he isn't a good passer and he disappears in some games.

It's easy to have good stats on a bad team

I don't understand the Lebron comparisons at all, he will always be a better shooter than Lebron, but that is it... I don't see any of the explosiveness that I see from Lebron at all. He is no where near as fast and strong and won't ever be.

He will be a top 5 player maybe, but not a top 3... Chris Paul, Lebron, D Howard 1,2,3 any order you like...

The thing is that everybody keeps talking about how he is 21, well all of those guys are 24 and under so they will get better and better as well

Also, if he is already so great then how come his team is terrible, why hasn't he elevated them, he has other talented guys on that team, why aren't they better.

The bottom line is that the Magic, Cavs, and Hornets all got significantly better each year after getting those 3 guys mentioned above... so we will see

JordansBulls
10-01-2009, 07:07 PM
I don't think you penalize a player for his team structure. If Durant had the cast Melo did, they are in the playoffs.
And I also think OKC is in the mix for the 8th seed this season. So, that is why I say, he could pass Melo this year.

Melo got his team in the playoffs as a rookie despite them not being good enough prior to him being there.

Hawkeye15
10-01-2009, 07:23 PM
Melo got his team in the playoffs as a rookie despite them not being good enough prior to him being there.

Denver's best player the year prior was Juwan Howard. Adding Melo and Andre Miller, along with Nene improving, Camby playing an extra 50 games, and Earl Boykins as a 6th man helped.
Melo is awesome, but Durant is going to pass him.

Hawkeye15
10-01-2009, 07:27 PM
I like Kevin Durant, but he hasn't done anything yet to warrant him becoming a superstar. We know he can score...but he still needs alot of work to round out his game.

Personally...it's not even clear if Durant will be the best player on his own team. Russell Westbrook may well become the better player when it's said and done.

you are talking about a 21 year old, 6'9", elite skilled player. He is so far ahead of the curve its ridiculous. While I don't think he will catch LeBron, his PER as a 21 year old is 20.85, vs Melo at 21, 16.77
He is so far ahead of the curve its ********. You are looking at the next T Mac worst case scenario.
ANd he will be better than Westbrook. I highly doubt Westbrook ever puts up a PER higher than 20

JordansBulls
10-01-2009, 10:17 PM
Denver's best player the year prior was Juwan Howard. Adding Melo and Andre Miller, along with Nene improving, Camby playing an extra 50 games, and Earl Boykins as a 6th man helped.
Melo is awesome, but Durant is going to pass him.

I'm not saying he isn't, but there is a difference in impact when one came into the league vs the other.