PDA

View Full Version : Melo commits to Team USA in 2010; return of most of his Olympic teammates "likely"

DenButsu
09-29-2009, 11:49 PM
Carmelo Anthony Commits to Playing in 2010 World Championships
By Chris Tomasson

Carmelo Anthony has committed to play in the World Championships in Turkey next year, the Denver Nuggets star told FanHouse on Tuesday.

Anthony said he made up his mind late last season that he wanted to return to Team USA for the event after winning an Olympic gold medal in Beijing in 2008. He told USA Basketball chairman Jerry Colangelo that, but Colangelo didn't consider his answer binding until the two spoke earlier this month at the Hall of Fame inductions in Springfield, Mass.

"I just told Jerry that I was down,'' said Anthony, who also reiterated to FanHouse on Tuesday his desire to play in the 2012 Olympics in London. "He asked me again. I just told him that I was in. There wasn't really nothing to it. He asked me what I thought. He asked me about the team. I told him I was in.''

Colangelo welcomed the news Anthony would return to the team.

"That's what he said,'' Colangelo, who is overseas in preparation for Friday's announcement in Copenhagen on whether his native Chicago will land the 2016 Olympics, said Tuesday in a brief interview with FanHouse.

Anthony already has said he wants to play in the 2012 Olympics, saying that to the now-defunct Rocky Mountain News while in Beijing last year. He reiterated Tuesday his desire to get another Olympic gold medal.

"I'm trying to get the World Championship gold medal, the (Olympic) gold medal (from Beijing) and another gold medal (from London),'' he said.

Anthony said that "most likely'' the bulk of the team that won the 2008 Olympic gold will play in Turkey.

"Everybody wanted to see if everybody wanted to come back, so, once that got established, it was easy,'' Anthony said of his decision to return.

Colangelo told FanHouse earlier this month that seven players from the Olympic team -- Chris Bosh, Kobe Bryant, Dwight Howard, LeBron James, Chris Paul, Dwyane Wade and Deron Williams -- told him at last February's All-Star Game in Phoenix that they would play in Turkey. Colangelo, though, still plans to double check this fall with those players to make sure they are on board.

Williams has confirmed to the media he will return. And, although James hasn't made a public statement, Anthony has little doubt he will play.

Anthony, who is good friends with James, said he believes James has already decided to return. If there is any doubt, Anthony said, "I'll get him to come back.,''

Team USA hasn't won the World Championships since 1994.

"I know that,'' said Anthony, who was on the 2006 World Championships team that settled for a bronze medal in Japan.

fanhouse (http://nba.fanhouse.com/2009/09/29/carmelo-anthony-commits-to-playing-in-2010-world-championships/)

AllTheWay
09-30-2009, 12:23 AM
Time to get that friggin World Ship back to the USA.

Raph12
09-30-2009, 12:33 AM
Time to get that friggin World Ship back to the USA.

It's already here, we just need to keep it from setting sail ever again.

JJ_JKidd
09-30-2009, 01:03 AM
I dont know among the up and coming PGs would take over JKidds slot. Its a toss among Deron and CP3 I think. Well who cares??? You dont need a pure point in Team USA IMHO. Just get the ball half court then let those guys run the offense :p. Roy I think deserves that JKidd spot. Wade also played point decently in Beijing.

ChiSox219
09-30-2009, 03:21 AM
I dont know among the up and coming PGs would take over JKidds slot. Its a toss among Deron and CP3 I think. Well who cares??? You dont need a pure point in Team USA IMHO. Just get the ball half court then let those guys run the offense :p. Roy I think deserves that JKidd spot. Wade also played point decently in Beijing.

Paul and Deron were in Bejing

Replacements for kidd:
Devin Harris
Derrick Rose
Rajon Rondo

Can't really go wrong with any of those, Rondo probably fits the best right now.

abe_froman
09-30-2009, 03:39 AM
Paul and Deron were in Bejing

Replacements for kidd:
Devin Harris
Derrick Rose
Rajon Rondo

Can't really go wrong with any of those, Rondo probably fits the best right now.
i think its rose.he narrowly missed being on the 08 roster and worked out with them over the summer to try and make the '10 team

Giants-49ers-Ws
09-30-2009, 04:01 AM
brandon roy should be on roster

ChiSox219
09-30-2009, 04:14 AM
brandon roy should be on roster

Indeed, he could take Redd's spot

DenButsu
09-30-2009, 04:34 AM
While I would agree that Roy had certainly done enough in the NBA to merit his being selected for the team, I'd still imagine it would be good to have one or two role player types on the team. I mean, last year Melo basically accepted a secondary part as a defensive role player and it worked out really well. But you don't need every player on the team to be able to score like crazy, you need a team that meshes well together as a unit, and will scramble and hustle and play defense. I'm still not convinced that packing the team with nothing but All-Stars is necessarily the best way to make the best team. He may be a little too old to be a new recruit for Team USA, but I'd bet a dude like Tayshaun Prince who can defend, rebound a little, and can hit the open 3 but doesn't need the ball to be effective -- a couple players in that kind of mold would be a great addition to the team for some glue.

ChiSox219
09-30-2009, 04:58 AM
While I would agree that Roy had certainly done enough in the NBA to merit his being selected for the team, I'd still imagine it would be good to have one or two role player types on the team. I mean, last year Melo basically accepted a secondary part as a defensive role player and it worked out really well. But you don't need every player on the team to be able to score like crazy, you need a team that meshes well together as a unit, and will scramble and hustle and play defense. I'm still not convinced that packing the team with nothing but All-Stars is necessarily the best way to make the best team. He may be a little too old to be a new recruit for Team USA, but I'd bet a dude like Tayshaun Prince who can defend, rebound a little, and can hit the open 3 but doesn't need the ball to be effective -- a couple players in that kind of mold would be a great addition to the team for some glue.

Prince was on the 2008 team

DenButsu
09-30-2009, 05:25 AM
Prince was on the 2008 team

:laugh2: Busted.

Hellcrooner
09-30-2009, 10:18 AM
i doubt bosh, lebron, wade, will play this summer in teh world cup when they are in free agency, is a hughe risk for them k, also kobe will most likely not play since he will be reaaly tired after three title runs.

Anyway i think they should try some of the new stars like rose or durant specially since the ONLY TEAM that can avoid them winning is goign to miss their MAIN MAN since Pau Gasol has already said he wont play for spain until the London Olympics.

Raph12
09-30-2009, 12:38 PM
Potential 2012 Olympic Roster:

PG: Chris Paul, Deron Williams, Derrick Rose (replacing Jason Kidd)
SG: Kobe Bryant, Dwyane Wade, Brandon Roy (replacing Michael Redd)
SF: Carmelo Anthony, Kevin Durant (replacing Tayshaun Prince)
PF: Lebron James, Chris Bosh
C: Dwight Howard, Amare Stoudamire (replacing Carlos Boozer)