PDA

View Full Version : Is this the end for Mariano Rivera?

misterd
09-29-2009, 06:56 PM
The greatest closer has had to overcome all sorts of hurdles in his life, beginning with a life of poverty in Panama, playing the game he loves using gloves made of old milk cartons. As a teen, he worked on fishing boats, giving it up only when he nearly lost his life as his ship capsized.

After being drafted by the Yankees, he toiled as a fringe prospect, and modern medicine save his career when he damaged his elbow.

He came up to the bigs as a starter, and if not for a fortuitous relief appearance in the post season, he might never have been given the chance to become the greatest closer of all time.

In that role, he has faced some of the most fearsome hitters the league has ever known -Ken Griffey Jr, Frank Thomas, Albert Belle, Manny Ramirez, Jim Thome, and so many others- and more often than not, made them look feeble. And he did it in the steroid era.

Time and again he was called upon to shut the door in the post season, against the best teams in baseball, and time and again, he shut the door.

Mariano has even seemingly bested Father Time, with his last two seasons being among his very best.

But now, with his team poised to win it all for the first time in nearly a decade, he faces the greatest hurdle of his career, one which has brought low the very best players in all sports, the great black hole from which no athelete escapes.

That's right. Mariano Rivera is on the cover of Sports Illustrated.

Season over.

http://riveraveblues.com/wp-content/uploads/2009/09/COV1005.jpg

natepro
09-29-2009, 07:04 PM
That's a nice title. Fangraphs had a good article on just how nasty that pitch is.

Don Starks
09-29-2009, 07:12 PM
That's a nice title. Fangraphs had a good article on just how nasty that pitch is.

can you post it? i would love to read it.

natepro
09-29-2009, 07:13 PM
Let me see if I can find it.

natepro
09-29-2009, 07:15 PM
Here it is...

On the surface Mariano Rivera and Mark DiFelice should be two of the most similar pitchers in the game. They are both right-handed relief pitchers who throw a cutters almost exclusively, over 90% of the time. No other pitcher throws the cutter that often, and only a handful of pitchers throw any one pitch close to as often as Rivera and DiFelice throw their cutters. But there is a startling difference between the two: DiFelice has one of the largest platoon splits of any pitcher, while Rivera has a reverse platoon split. Two pitchers throwing the same type of pitch almost exclusively and they are at opposite ends of the platoon split spectrum. Obviously there must be something very different about their cutters.

The most obvious difference is velocity. Rivera throws one of the fastest cutters in the game working in the low 90s, while DiFelice one of the slowest working in the low 80s. I am not sure how velocity influences the platoon split.

The movement of the two cutters is also different.

Full article: http://www.fangraphs.com/blogs/index.php/two-very-different-cutters

The article itself has graphs and such to show his movement.

J4KOP99
09-29-2009, 07:25 PM
You're alluding to the SI cover curse?

dudeonthemoon
09-29-2009, 08:21 PM
how many more saves does he need for the record????

Imperial
09-29-2009, 09:49 PM
That's right. Mariano Rivera is on the cover of Sports Illustrated.

Season over.

http://riveraveblues.com/wp-content/uploads/2009/09/COV1005.jpg

I smell a career ending injury.

GoatMilk
09-29-2009, 09:53 PM
thats a sweet cover though

Imperial
09-29-2009, 10:04 PM
I wouldn't worry about it too much. Papelbon was on the cover of SI this same time 2 years ago and he was perfect in October.

Lincecum4CY
09-29-2009, 11:09 PM
Tim Lincecum was on the cover of SI last year and ended up winning the CY the same year.

Don Starks
09-29-2009, 11:22 PM
Here it is...

Full article: http://www.fangraphs.com/blogs/index.php/two-very-different-cutters

The article itself has graphs and such to show his movement.

thanks man, good read.

MDfootball36
09-29-2009, 11:25 PM
mo is god so i think hes good

skierdude44
09-30-2009, 03:20 AM
I wouldn't worry about it too much. Papelbon was on the cover of SI this same time 2 years ago and he was perfect in October.

Tim Lincecum was on the cover of SI last year and ended up winning the CY the same year.

SI isn't the cover curse to worry about. If he somehow ends up on a Madden cover, then he is doomed. Though I'd probably be more concerned with why the hell he was on a Madden cover to begin with.

Brett19
09-30-2009, 03:33 AM
SI isn't the cover curse to worry about. If he somehow ends up on a Madden cover, then he is doomed. Though I'd probably be more concerned with why the hell he was on a Madden cover to begin with.

It's Mariano Rivera, he can do what he pleases.

Stamina
09-30-2009, 05:35 AM
Eh, the Yanks will be fine. There's no curse on Rivera now, he's do great in the post season and will be back again next season.

Pinstripe pride
09-30-2009, 07:59 AM
they might as well concede any save situations in the playoffs.......

Rocco007
09-30-2009, 08:38 AM
With no signs or regressing , Mariano pitches into his 40's...Yankee money and winning will keep his interest in the game...

VRP723
09-30-2009, 09:23 AM
Let's hope so

Fred
09-30-2009, 12:21 PM
I stongly dislike the Yankees (can't go so far as to say "hate")....but, Mo is the best closer - ever - he has no equals in my mind...if he were on the phillies this year, the Phils would be around 110 wins...he'll be back next year regardless of whether the yankees run the table or not....

NCBoSoxfan21
09-30-2009, 12:57 PM
The Yankees would be stupid not to keep him for another 3 years at least (after the end of his 2010 contract).

ishouldbeagm
10-01-2009, 03:49 PM
mo will be throwing that cutter in the 90's when he is 90 yrs old after all he is the hammer of god

mully
10-01-2009, 04:03 PM
no he will break the curse, plus i thought the curse was only for football.

JonnyBrav000
10-01-2009, 04:28 PM
I appreciate how everyone respects Mo Rivera. As a Yankee fan, it feels good to see how fans of other teams tell it like it is about Mo, because even though he usually only pitches one inning (sometimes 2 or 3), the last 3 outs of the game are the toughest to get and having long term success as a closer is very rare in the MLB.

It's mind boggling to me that he has never won a CY YOUNG, even though I am like most who look at the starting pitchers first.

BradHolt4CYoung
10-01-2009, 05:41 PM
at least he wasn't somehow chosen on the Madden Cover.

natepro
10-01-2009, 06:18 PM
the last 3 outs of the game are the toughest to get

He's a great closer, no doubt, but let's not get carried away here.