PDA

View Full Version : Why does the league go for a Non guaranteed contract type of deal?

TannerOwnsDevin
09-29-2009, 06:06 PM
Similar to the NFL, I hope the league enforces a non guaranteed contract policy for players. Im talking about players signing huge amounts whthere its a role player, an All Star or even Superstar type of players.

I feel that by doing this, the league will be much more productive and competitive. I hate the fact when players are sitting under the comfort of their 6-8 million figure salary, some become complacent or simply does'nt work hard enough to raise their level or the quality of the game.

Throughout the years, we had overpaid stiffs like, Jim McIlvaine,Jerome James,Travis Knight,Kwame Brown etc taking up huge salary caps that affect's a teams ability to be much more competitive.

Then we have superstars who simply did'nt care anymore because well, they had guaranteed contracts thatw ill take care of them for the rest of their life (Stephon Marbury, Steve Francis and Antoine Walker being best examples)

And finally, players who are injury prone. Jermaine O'Neal, Tracy McGrady, Gilber Arenas, Allan Houston are prime examples. Sure. its not their fault, but I dont think they should get 100% of their contract when other players like their teammates are putting 100% of their effort out there.

I hate to see deserving players being underpaid simply because the system restricts them. If a rookie is making a lot more impact than a veteran, then the rookie should get paid and the veteran must take a paycut.

TannerOwnsDevin
09-29-2009, 06:10 PM
ooops. sorry about the thread title. it was supposedly a question "Should the league enforce a non guaranteed contract?"

JNA17
09-29-2009, 06:18 PM
yes

abe_froman
09-29-2009, 06:20 PM
it would mess with rookie scale and become a mess like the nfl's is

SirCarlton
09-29-2009, 06:22 PM
Eric Dampier is the answer to your question

SteveNash
09-29-2009, 06:31 PM
The NFL doesn't enforce non-guaranteed contracts. And good luck getting the players to ever agree to that.

Whether they should or not is a different matter, though I prefer it not to happen as it rewards bad GMs.

TheFuture6
09-30-2009, 04:24 PM
The NBA Players Association would never go for it.

Teams should be held responsible for the crappy contracts they give out.