PDA

View Full Version : Paul Pierce: Boston's Title Window Is Still Open Another 3-4 Years

JordansBulls
09-27-2009, 01:23 PM
Boston Globe (http://www.boston.com/sports/basketball/celtics/articles/2009/09/27/pierce_espouses_healthy_outlook/)

“We put a team like this together knowing most championship contenders have like a five- or six-year window,’’ Pierce said. “This is our third year. Hopefully we have a few more years to compete but were trying to get it done now.’’

Basically saying the C's have another 3-4 years to win titles.

Pran Raznor
09-27-2009, 01:29 PM
I thought they traded Al Jefferson

MTar786
09-27-2009, 01:35 PM
lol @ Paul pierce

bigsams50
09-27-2009, 01:42 PM
If healthy, y not

Pensx3
09-27-2009, 01:44 PM
No chance Boston wins the next 3-4 years

dtmagnet
09-27-2009, 01:51 PM
Allen and Garnett might not be playing in 3 years.

Jays Claw
09-27-2009, 02:08 PM
I would have to say the window is closing on the Boston Celtics really fast. The team pretty much experienced it last season with all the injuries. In my opinion the Boston Celtics have about two years left to win before the team starts rebuilding around Rajon Rondo.

AllTheWay
09-27-2009, 02:37 PM
Eh I think this is their last real chance.

nipo10847
09-27-2009, 02:44 PM
they r going to win this if big three specially garnett stays healthy.

NickyNick
09-27-2009, 02:44 PM
why is this a thread?

this just in!---lebron wants to win a championship! someone make a new thread!!

BkOriginalOne
09-27-2009, 02:49 PM
I giggled when I read the title.
I'd say 2 years, MAX!

*Superman*
09-27-2009, 02:50 PM
1-2 years maybe 3 but 4 is pushing it.

MalkinIsMagic
09-27-2009, 03:05 PM
LOL at everyone thinking the "Big 3" are already in their retirement homes...

MackSnackWrap
09-27-2009, 03:07 PM
id sa about 1 - 2 years no more than that

GottaLuvNY
09-27-2009, 03:07 PM
uuuhhh no!!!! they just dnt have the same key bench players they a year ago..

Toenail Clipper
09-27-2009, 03:14 PM
They're gonna end up playing in wheelchairs and holding walking sticks. Hahahaha

mikantsass
09-27-2009, 03:21 PM
I'll say 3 years. 4 is pushing it

Reversed86Curse
09-27-2009, 03:38 PM
They're gonna end up playing in wheelchairs and holding walking sticks. Hahahaha

I'd take Celtics in wheel chairs over the Clippers anyday

ARMIN12NBA
09-27-2009, 04:02 PM
Pierce is 32. Garnett is 33. Allen is 34.

3-4 years is beyond pushing it especially with Garnett's HUGE health issues. Apparently there is still no time-table for his return, which is extremely unnerving. Garnett's injury appears to be a ton worse than originally thought and I would not be surprised if Garnett never returns to form. Not to mention Allen is likely going to leave.

MackSnackWrap
09-27-2009, 04:17 PM

3-4 years is beyond pushing it especially with Garnett's HUGE health issues. Apparently there is still no time-table for his return, which is extremely unnerving. Garnett's injury appears to be a ton worse than originally thought and I would not be surprised if Garnett never returns to form. Not to mention Allen is likely going to leave.

Exactly what im saying 1 year-2 year max

still1ballin
09-27-2009, 04:19 PM
Lol!

jojoe1188
09-27-2009, 04:29 PM

roflcopter

ko8e24
09-27-2009, 05:18 PM
3-4 wks tops

balla4life22
09-27-2009, 05:32 PM
alright jordansbulls u basically put words into his mouth. In the quote it doesnt say "3-4 years" he said a few more years. I hate people who make sucha big deal about what players say cause u guys think you know everything

Boston Faithful
09-27-2009, 05:34 PM

I'm pretty sure the Bulls STARTED their second three peat when Jordan was 34, Rodman 36 and Pippen 32.

That big three raped the competition even two years later.

Bruno
09-27-2009, 06:45 PM
I'm pretty sure the Bulls STARTED their second three peat when Jordan was 34, Rodman 36 and Pippen 32.

The Bulls didn't rape the competition in their final year, it was a struggle; they went to game seven, winning by only five points against Reggies Pacers in the '98 ECF, but point taken. Boston has two-three years IMO, and a lot of that rides on KG getting back to forum.

ARMIN12NBA
09-27-2009, 08:32 PM

KG, Pierce, and Allen are no Jordan, Pippen, and Rodman.

For one, Jordan hadn't played many years in the league. Remember he came into the league at age 20-21 and had retired for two years already. His mileage was nowhere near the mileage of KG, Pierce, or Allen. Plus, we really don't know about KG's health and Allen is likely to leave. The situation is entirely different. The biggest difference, IMO, is that the Celtics are not as good as the Bulls and their competition is a lot better.

phoenix_bladen
09-27-2009, 09:46 PM
KG, Pierce, and Allen are no Jordan, Pippen, and Rodman.

For one, Jordan hadn't played many years in the league. Remember he came into the league at age 20-21 and had retired for two years already. His mileage was nowhere near the mileage of KG, Pierce, or Allen. Plus, we really don't know about KG's health and Allen is likely to leave. The situation is entirely different. The biggest difference, IMO, is that the Celtics are not as good as the Bulls and their competition is a lot better.

you have a point but jordan did not retire and do nothing his first time

he actually went to go play professional baseball now you can probably argue baseball is not as intense as basketball in terms of conditioning ( maybe it is i don't know anything about baseball )

so you definitely have to count that into his millege as well !

but i agree with you that the big 3 are no where near as good as the jordan lead bulls !

Ray_R
09-27-2009, 09:58 PM
Lol!

X2:cheers:

DenButsu
09-27-2009, 10:18 PM
1-2 would be realistic, I think. 3's really pushing it unless they've brought in some serious reinforcements, and if they won in 4 years, my guess would be that 1 or 2 of their current big 3 would not have much to do with it by then (either by not playing anymore or by being too declined to impact in the same way).

JNA17
09-27-2009, 10:19 PM

:laugh: well played

still1ballin
09-27-2009, 10:22 PM
X2:cheers:

Short and simple;)

rothbb23
09-27-2009, 10:36 PM
this is bostons last year to win a championship, if they dont win it this year i think the team will break apart/be traded. much like the detroit pistons who are basically rebuilding right now.

TheKing23
09-27-2009, 10:50 PM
Two years tops with their current team in my opinion, this year and one more.

KG's under contract until 2012 and Pierce has a player option for 2011. Ray Allen expires at the end of this upcoming season, so he'll need to take a pay cut and re-sign if we're talking about this actual roster.

Lakersfan2483
09-28-2009, 12:45 AM
Boston Globe (http://www.boston.com/sports/basketball/celtics/articles/2009/09/27/pierce_espouses_healthy_outlook/)

Basically saying the C's have another 3-4 years to win titles.

This year will be their best opportunity to capture a ring because all of their core players are past their prime. I definitely disagree with Pierce's statement, they do not have a 3 to 4 year window, it's now or never.

bagwell368
09-28-2009, 07:27 AM
This year, KG won't play a full season. He's not ready, if the Celts are smart they'll keep him off the floor until January, and then try a playoff run with him. The instant he can't go 100% for the Celts in the playoffs they are dead.

They must not re-up Allen, but use the slot to get younger, same with Pierce. KG as long as he is workable they have to keep. There is no way that the Celts can win being led by Allen and Pierce w/o a big as good or better then KG, and they don't grow on trees.

Overall 1 year or being in it, 1 more year as a decent shot of being in it, and then rebuilding chaos in years 3 and 4 - unless they can score a young max player in a sign and trade with Allen or Pierce, or an expiring contract slot.

bigsams50
09-28-2009, 08:14 AM

:laugh:

JordansBulls
09-28-2009, 10:06 AM
This year, KG won't play a full season. He's not ready, if the Celts are smart they'll keep him off the floor until January, and then try a playoff run with him. The instant he can't go 100% for the Celts in the playoffs they are dead.

They must not re-up Allen, but use the slot to get younger, same with Pierce. KG as long as he is workable they have to keep. There is no way that the Celts can win being led by Allen and Pierce w/o a big as good or better then KG, and they don't grow on trees.

Overall 1 year or being in it, 1 more year as a decent shot of being in it, and then rebuilding chaos in years 3 and 4 - unless they can score a young max player in a sign and trade with Allen or Pierce, or an expiring contract slot.

Good post, I agree with nearly all of it especially with the logic of KG sitting out until January.

Ace33Bone
09-28-2009, 10:30 AM
id sa about 1 - 2 years no more than that

x2

DenButsu
09-28-2009, 11:07 AM
Good post, I agree with nearly all of it especially with the logic of KG sitting out until January.

I pretty strongly disagree with that logic. Sit KG for the preseason and first 2 months of games, the team will develop a specific chemistry which will be markedly KG-less, and then have to re-adjust to his return when they bring him back into the fold.

I think what the Suns did with Shaq would be a better model. No B2Bs, sitting out on a good number of games but playing a couple every week. He stays in the mix, the style of team play is still oriented around his presence, but he reduces the risk of re-aggravating injury and preserves his strength and stamina.

Zefflin
09-28-2009, 01:18 PM
Good post Butsu, I agree with nearly all of it, especially with the logic that the team would develop a specific chemistry without KG.

Randy West
09-28-2009, 01:32 PM
I think injuries not withstanding two to three years is possible.

One injury and you can throw that right out the window

RaiderLakersA's
09-28-2009, 01:43 PM

I'm sorry, which one of the Celtics is Jordan in this scenario???

The Celtics' window is one year wide. This year. Maybe.

The fact of the matter is the Celtics' competition that you refer to is heads and tails above anything that the Jordan-era Bulls (Part II) faced. They had no true rival, no threat to their primacy.

I like Paul's optimism, but I have my doubts. The Big 3 Celtics have several teams that can beat them, both in and outside of their division. Obviously we won't know until the season is underway, but I don't think that the Celts will be the last man standing at the end of the season.

bagwell368
09-28-2009, 10:47 PM
I pretty strongly disagree with that logic. Sit KG for the preseason and first 2 months of games, the team will develop a specific chemistry which will be markedly KG-less, and then have to re-adjust to his return when they bring him back into the fold.

There is a school of thinking like that, but I dismiss it for two reasons, one is they can't win if KG is a corpse in the playoffs and/or by having them play w/o him they can still manage a 23-17 type record, and they will have to play D without the looming KG behind them, adding him will not make them weaker due to lack of chemistry it will make them stronger because they had to learn to deal w/o him.

No matter when he comes back, no more B2B's, and Allen and Pierce could alternate as well. I forgot I posted that elsewhere and forgot to list it here.

Celts are one of the big four, and a 100% Celts team is probably the favorite, but chances are they won't be 100% come the playoffs.

JordansBulls
09-29-2009, 12:24 AM

I think what the Suns did with Shaq would be a better model. No B2Bs, sitting out on a good number of games but playing a couple every week. He stays in the mix, the style of team play is still oriented around his presence, but he reduces the risk of re-aggravating injury and preserves his strength and stamina.

That could work as well. But HCA will be crucial next year. It would be too tough to have to face Orlando, then Cleveland and then perhaps LA or San Antonio all without having HCA.

LA_Raiders
09-29-2009, 12:51 AM
Yeah, On the 3rd Age League....