PDA

View Full Version : SVG: I want Vince to dominate, not fit in

JordansBulls
09-27-2009, 12:09 AM
Link (http://nba.fanhouse.com/2009/09/26/magic-dont-want-vince-carter-fitting-in/)

On Friday, coach Stan Van Gundy finally asked him to stop.

He doesn't want Carter fitting in. He wants him standing out.

"I don't want him stepping on the court thinking about fitting in. He can fit in, in the locker room. We didn't bring him here to be a guy who is just moving the ball,'' Van Gundy said. "We want him attacking. I want the guy who has been so good all these years. I want all his greatness."

Carter chuckled Friday when told about Van Gundy's remarks. He is a seven-time All-Star with a career scoring average of 23.5 points. The Magic gave up promising Courtney Lee, veteran Tony Battie and point guard Rafer Alston to get him. The Magic lost Hedo Turkoglu to free agency this summer, and they want Carter to more than replace him.

The Magic, like a majority of NBA teams, open training camp this Tuesday.

"Yes, he (Van Gundy) has told me, he wants the guy who beat him in the past, the guy who scored 42 on him," Carter said Friday. "He said he wants it each and every night. I told him I can still be that guy. But I also said I didn't care if I averaged 23-25 points a game. I want to average 55-60 wins a season."

Carter, 32, hasn't stopped smiling about being traded to Orlando. He grew up in nearby Daytona Beach. He has spent his offseason in Orlando for the last five years. He never has played with a center like Howard. And he never has been past the second round of the playoffs.

"The timing is perfect for me," Carter said. "I've wanted this opportunity since I came into the league. In my 11 years, I've seen it all, done it all, been through it all. My game has matured. Now I want to win it all."

Storch
09-27-2009, 12:23 AM
Good. I dont expect anything less from Vince.

sofargone
09-27-2009, 12:35 AM
ohhhh now he wants to win it all....who cares

ko8e24
09-27-2009, 12:48 AM
He's done it all? I guess if winning a slam dunk title equals doing it all, then shaq, duncan, kg, lebron, t-mac, ai, d-wade, melo aint done crap. :rolleyes:

aaah, now that i got that outta the way

i wanna see vinsanity do well with the magic. :)

SA5195
09-27-2009, 01:00 AM
Took him a while to understand that winning is important lol

Toenail Clipper
09-27-2009, 01:02 AM
Lakers are better than Magic.
Now I have turned this thread into a Lakers thread! >:]

what54!?
09-27-2009, 01:15 AM
He should tell that to Dwight

iggypop123
09-27-2009, 01:15 AM
not good news for howard

clutchski
09-27-2009, 01:19 AM
uhh just glancing over these posts, I think they're all pretty funny. He wants VC to press and be the leader of the team alongside Dwight, which is entirely possible and will bode very well for the Magic.

JermanJaysFan
09-27-2009, 01:22 AM
not good news for howard

Disagree. Kobe and Shaq were both able to assert themselves as dominant players at the same time. If anything its good news- having an incredibly dynamic guard like Vince only makes his job easier. It's not like you really run plays for a guy like Dwight anyway.

Raph12
09-27-2009, 01:23 AM
Nothing out of the ordinary here, I expect Carter to get his 20-21ppg, Nelson's role may be a bit surpressed. If everything falls into place, this team will be deadly come playoffs.

JermanJaysFan
09-27-2009, 01:26 AM
Nothing out of the ordinary here, I expect Carter to get his 20-21ppg
I expect more.

Nelson's role may be a bit surpressed. If everything falls into place, this team will be deadly come playoffs.
Agreed, on both counts. Nelson may lose out a little bit in terms of having plays run for him, but his progression as a sniper will be well of service having two guys who can command the extra defender in Vince and Dwight.

Raph12
09-27-2009, 01:36 AM
I expect more.

I still expect Shard to get 17-20ppg, especially since he will be playing the 3 alot more this season. That is why I think Nelson will have a more surpressed role, because Dwight, Vince and Shard will get theirs so someone will have to take a hit. This team will be interesting to watch throughout the season.

MAC10TIZZY
09-27-2009, 01:49 AM
atta boy vince :-)

swoosh15
09-27-2009, 03:33 AM
svg just wants to put some pressure on vince...thats the right idea!
its a new situation for vince. they expect his team to win it all!
i expect him to average 22-24 points, 5 rebounds and 8 assists!

vc is a underrated passer! he is able to read the game and his basketball IQ is way higher than turks!

i think svg can lift his game to a very high level!
vc understands the situation an will give it all!

...they will win it all this season!

D Roses Bulls
09-27-2009, 03:53 AM

ahhhh you toronto fans are so funny. your gonna even suggest by your sig derozen is in the same class as carter? lmao. if it werent for carter nobody would know who the raptors were. derozen wont be anything more then a solid player. also carter wanted out of toronto cause canada sucks and thats why when alonzo was traded he demanded to be released from toronto. so dont hate.

anyways im glad to see carter this way. if the chemistry clicks the magic are theb est team in the east, maybe the best team in the NBA

smith&wesson
09-27-2009, 04:00 AM
it is good timing for him. he has matured as a player. he may not average 25 points a game but he passes well, he is a better over all defender, and he has nice range from the three, and still has some hops. if you put him on this team 6 years ago, his atitude could have conflicted with the orlando chemistry, but right now i think he smells blood and he's going after that ring.

its a nice chance for him to finish his career strong with a solid and talented team. lucky lucky vince..

jsumadchat
09-27-2009, 08:18 AM
svg just wants to put some pressure on vince...thats the right idea!
its a new situation for vince. they expect his team to win it all!
i expect him to average 22-24 points, 5 rebounds and 8 assists!

vc is a underrated passer! he is able to read the game and his basketball IQ is way higher than turks!

i think svg can lift his game to a very high level!
vc understands the situation an will give it all!

...they will win it all this season!

thats the worst comparison i have ever heard. VCs bbiq is nowhere near that of turks. the only reason turk is effective is BECAUSE of his high bbiq. im not saying VC isnt a smart player, hes one of my favourite players of all time. i'm saying he's got SUPREME athletic skills and more than adequate iq, but not as much as you would think.

jsumadchat
09-27-2009, 08:22 AM
ahhhh you toronto fans are so funny. your gonna even suggest by your sig derozen is in the same class as carter? lmao. if it werent for carter nobody would know who the raptors were. derozen wont be anything more then a solid player. also carter wanted out of toronto cause canada sucks and thats why when alonzo was traded he demanded to be released from toronto. so dont hate.

anyways im glad to see carter this way. if the chemistry clicks the magic are theb est team in the east, maybe the best team in the NBA

lol sounds like YOU'RE the hater. uneducated too - on Canada and the situations that VC and alonzo had. you're also baiting based on someones sig as opposed to what was actually written in the post. epic fail bud.

bigsams50
09-27-2009, 08:22 AM
I dont expect anything less from vince this year, its his best shot and winning a title and hopefully he takes full advantage of it.

rabzouz 96
09-27-2009, 08:51 AM
thats the worst comparison i have ever heard. VCs bbiq is nowhere near that of turks. the only reason turk is effective is BECAUSE of his high bbiq. im not saying VC isnt a smart player, hes one of my favourite players of all time. i'm saying he's got SUPREME athletic skills and more than adequate iq, but not as much as you would think.

what? have you seen both players play? vcs bb iq is higher than turks.

MackSnackWrap
09-27-2009, 10:03 AM
Bout time Vince Wants to win, he will do well with the Magic IMO

mrblisterdundee
09-27-2009, 11:01 AM
ohhhh now he wants to win it all....who cares

Don't get pissy. It's not Vince's fault that Toronto sucks.

mrblisterdundee
09-27-2009, 11:06 AM

Stop hating just because deep down, you know Toronto still isn't that good of a team. Getting Turkoglu is only an admission that Jose Calderon isn't good enough to run the point on his own. It's also saying that Chris Bosh might not be quite good enough to be the primary offensive focus. It's also saying Toronto's admitting that Bargnani might not be as good as they thought. Any way you look at it, Toronto is a jump-shooting team that isn't tough enough to win a championship.

azkarraga
09-27-2009, 11:21 AM
i hope he makes an outstanding year. i like the guy

d-baller23
09-27-2009, 11:26 AM
I see Vince Carter with his first ring in June if we have chemistry brewing. He doesn't have to be that player tho, he is there to win, and help the other guys. Dwight is going to average 24-28 pts. Lewis 17-21 pts, so all he needs to do is give us 20 pts, and we are set.

King P
09-27-2009, 11:45 AM
I hope VC gets his 1st championship this season

jsumadchat
09-27-2009, 12:14 PM
Stop hating just because deep down, you know Toronto still isn't that good of a team. Getting Turkoglu is only an admission that Jose Calderon isn't good enough to run the point on his own. It's also saying that Chris Bosh might not be quite good enough to be the primary offensive focus. It's also saying Toronto's admitting that Bargnani might not be as good as they thought. Any way you look at it, Toronto is a jump-shooting team that isn't tough enough to win a championship.

people like you piss me off. you come into a thread, and look for keywords that can trigger some douchery on your part. when did i even say anything about the raptors? when was this thread about the raptors? when was this thread about getting turk? where in my post did i hate on VC? i said he was my fave player. i grew up on VC. the comments i made had no correlation with hate, or the raptors. yet somehow, you find a way to blast the team and its free agent acquisition, while still finding a way to show that you are a complete troll with no life. stick to the topic, stop being a douche. and most importantly, dont try to give your two cents when someones already got a dollar. like your post, it would just be useless.

jsumadchat
09-27-2009, 12:28 PM
what? have you seen both players play? vcs bb iq is higher than turks.

yes i have seen both players play. VC can get by because he has great playmaking ability. he has a good long-range shot, a great mid-range shot, and we all know what he can do in the paint. that doesnt mean he has high basketball IQ. often, when the ball is not in his hands, he is not effective. he doesnt cut as often as you would like, his rebounding is not that great, and it is typically the same story when hes on defense. VC is able to get away with these negative aspects because he is a ridiculous athletic specimen.

turkoglu however is on the complete opposite spectrum. he isnt athletic at all, but he has GREAT courtvision and basketball IQ. hes able to read defenses, create open looks for himself and his team, and most importantly hes able to react to opposing teams sets. his defense is also quite mediocre, and rebounding for a man of his size (much like bargnani) is almost non-existent as well.

with that being said, i still feel that turk has the higher basketball IQ, but i also think that VC is more effective with the tools he has. either way, i think he will be dominant this year and back to putting up 25 a game.

MagicDojo
09-27-2009, 01:28 PM

If you think Turk is good and has a high bbq then that just proves you have not seen him play very much. I have seen him play every game with the Magic since he got to Orlando and you are just dead wrong.
He has 2 moves total. 1. drive to the hoop on the left elbow around a pick and toss a 1 handed left handed 8 foot banker of the glass while crying out loud for a call. or 2. Dribble,dribble,dribble,dribble,dribble, take a 26 foot 3 with 12 seconds left on the clock. And he would usually only play hard for about 10 minutes out of the 38 he was on the court. Many nights he did'nt show up at all or try hard but he would still throw up 16 shots and get 2.
His wild inconsistancy from one night to the next is why he never made the allstar team.
I am glad he is gone and glad VC is here.

theuuord
09-27-2009, 01:34 PM

he always wanted to win it all. that's why he got out of toronto.

ko8e24
09-27-2009, 01:59 PM
I see Vince Carter with his first ring in June if we have chemistry brewing. He doesn't have to be that player tho, he is there to win, and help the other guys. Dwight is going to average 24-28 pts. Lewis 17-21 pts, so all he needs to do is give us 20 pts, and we are set.

no, he's not ready to take that next step in his career offensively. hez gonna avg in the low 20s like he has the last 2 seasons. 22 PPG at the most.

ThuglifeJ
09-27-2009, 02:15 PM
this is great news. It makes sense, to get the most out of every player. If you hvae a player like Vince with such capabilities, why not unleash it all every minute you have him.

Vince has never had a coach like this. SVG will get into Vince's face and bring out the best of him at all times.

Frank was the worst coach for Vince. Vince had more authority out there than Vince and that is not what you want on your team.

BkOriginalOne
09-27-2009, 02:19 PM
This is the best team he has played on.
Too bad the Celtics will take it from them in the ECF.

ManRam
09-27-2009, 02:28 PM
Not surprising. We lacked a go-to scorer last year, who could take over a game. Hedo handled the ball a lot, but he never took games over. He took some big shots, but that's all.

We went on so many long scoring droughts, as expected from a team that is so perimeter orientated. We had no one who could stop those droughts. Vince has to be that guy. He can't just be a shooter, he's gotta be a scorer.

Dwight is FAR from being a go-to scorer (especially in the playoffs). Shard is not a go-to scorer. Jameer is not a go-to scorer...we have none, except Vince. He's gotta be the focal point of the offense.

*Superman*
09-27-2009, 02:49 PM
I am glad that SVG said that. He could have played it cool, but instead he is putting some pressure on Vince to do what he has done his whole career.

iggypop123
09-27-2009, 03:33 PM
Disagree. Kobe and Shaq were both able to assert themselves as dominant players at the same time. If anything its good news- having an incredibly dynamic guard like Vince only makes his job easier. It's not like you really run plays for a guy like Dwight anyway.

how can you compare them to these 2. :facepalm::facepalm::facepalm::facepalm:

MrFastBreak
09-27-2009, 04:25 PM
He does need to fit in while he dominates at the same time.

JermanJaysFan
09-27-2009, 05:41 PM

Is it wrong to illustrate that a SG and C can both dominate on the same court? I never said that they were on the same level.

rabzouz 96
09-27-2009, 08:37 PM

:speechless:how can he dare to do this?

phoenix_bladen
09-27-2009, 09:36 PM
i seriously think this is a good idea

i mean howard is amazing but you need a go to guy in the clutch and since they lost hedo carter is probably the best replacement for him ... have you seen all the clutch plays carter has done in his career?

the guy is insane.... he is such a force on the offensive end and he will make it a lot easier for everyone on the magic!!

howard should be happy to defer to him

i'm pretty sure both carter and howard are 1st options depending on what they run but there will be nights where carter is the 1st option

phoenix_bladen
09-27-2009, 09:39 PM
lol sounds like YOU'RE the hater. uneducated too - on Canada and the situations that VC and alonzo had. you're also baiting based on someones sig as opposed to what was actually written in the post. epic fail bud.

+1

ignorant people that don't know anything about toronto

:D

phoenix_bladen
09-27-2009, 09:42 PM

Not surprising. We lacked a go-to scorer last year, who could take over a game. Hedo handled the ball a lot, but he never took games over. He took some big shots, but that's all.

We went on so many long scoring droughts, as expected from a team that is so perimeter orientated. We had no one who could stop those droughts. Vince has to be that guy. He can't just be a shooter, he's gotta be a scorer.

Dwight is FAR from being a go-to scorer (especially in the playoffs). Shard is not a go-to scorer. Jameer is not a go-to scorer...we have none, except Vince. He's gotta be the focal point of the offense.

i agree I think carter will be the focal point !

i hope he does well i have always liked carter and i want to see him win a ring !

the magic will be scary this year.... all the good teams improved i'm excited!

Toxeryll
09-28-2009, 12:04 AM
Good. I dont expect anything less from Vince.

prepare disappointment

JayW_1023
09-28-2009, 06:47 AM
I wonder if this prompts Vince to attack the rim more...I doubt it though.

JordansBulls
09-28-2009, 10:12 AM
he always wanted to win it all. that's why he got out of toronto.

:clap:

Ace33Bone
09-28-2009, 10:25 AM
Vince is definitely what the MAgic need and now he is playing in his home state as well... Watch out the Magic may be more dangerous than we previously thought

TheGreenMonster
09-28-2009, 10:40 AM
When has Vince ever Dominated? He nothing more than a highlight reel of fancy lay ups and 35 foot 3 pointers. He sucks in the playoffs, he is not a team player, and takes terrible shots pretty often. Not to mention he is old. I want this guy to go away already.

Chronz
09-28-2009, 10:42 AM
He will be who hes always been, and it will make the Magic better.

GAWDtv
09-28-2009, 11:04 AM
Problem is, if history proves anything, VC does not want to be THE MAN, the 1st option on any team. He got his MAX money and that's what he wants. I think he got it from his Mama.

The magic and VC will do well if he is the 3rd option. They should go inside out with Howard as the 1st option looking for Lewis as the 2nd option then VC or Nelson as the 3rd options. Maybe start Bass at the 4 to box and rebound alongside Superman2 and be that 3rd option as well...

Chronz
09-28-2009, 11:20 AM
Vince has no issues being the main scoring threat, he USED to have an issue with being its sole LEADER, those days are gone, but hes NEVER had a problem being the primary scoring option.

iggypop123
09-28-2009, 12:49 PM
Is it wrong to illustrate that a SG and C can both dominate on the same court? I never said that they were on the same level.

ok understood. the level thing got me a little nuts

phoenix_bladen
09-28-2009, 01:16 PM
Well if you look at it in his time with new jersey I thought he was a pretty good leader especially last year without jason Kidd for the first full year I think he did pretty well so I don't think he will have a problem

and like others say he can dominate and he has no problem being the main scoring threat and with the magic having a stacked roster he will be motivated as hell

and don't you think the rest of the team and the coach will kick his *** if he doesn't?

yanks19791024
09-28-2009, 01:28 PM
Vince will dominate the food buffet and thats about it

Randy West
09-28-2009, 01:38 PM
Vince will do well in Orlando

and really svg you want vince to be the man?? I would think you want every player you have to be the man

King P
09-28-2009, 02:49 PM
When has Vince ever Dominated? He nothing more than a highlight reel of fancy lay ups and 35 foot 3 pointers. He sucks in the playoffs, he is not a team player, and takes terrible shots pretty often. Not to mention he is old. I want this guy to go away already.

Not a team player? he is a very underrated passer and averaged almost 6apg. He stayed with the rebuilding Nets and didnt complain once.

Sucks in the playoffs? He is 9th all time in PPG in the playoffs (9th). He averaged 30ppg in the playoffs on 2 separate occasions, led the Raptors into the 2nd round of the playoffs all by himself in 01. But yet he sucks in the playoffs :rolleyes:

JordansBulls
09-28-2009, 04:07 PM
Vince will dominate the food buffet and thats about it

:mad:

King P
09-28-2009, 04:22 PM
Van Gundy will dominate the food buffet and thats about it
Fixed

JayW_1023
09-29-2009, 05:09 AM
Vince needs to overcome his fear of getting hacked...he is quickly discouraged when players get physical with him. Last season when the Spurs played at Izod Center, Bowen shut him down completely.

Vince is probably one of the top all-round wings in the league...but he needs to develope a serious mean streak. Something Jameer Nelson possesses a whole lot more.

I do believe Vince and Shard will form a dangerous scoring duo on the perimeter, but I believe a healthy Jameer Nelson will be their catalyst in the clutch.