PDA

View Full Version : Lakers' Kobe Bryant & Grizzlies' Hasheem Thabeet Workout w/ Hakeem the Dream Olajuwon

ko8e24
09-26-2009, 11:29 PM
http://www.myfoxhouston.com/dpp/sports/090926_olajuwon_works_with_grizzlies_thabeet

Olajuwon Works With Grizzlies' Thabeet
Lakers' Bryant also Sought Out Olajuwon
Updated: Saturday, 26 Sep 2009, 4:58 PM CDT
Published : Saturday, 26 Sep 2009, 4:19 PM CDT

MARK BERMAN
HOUSTON - Memphis Grizzlies rookie center Hasheem Thabeet, the second pick in June's NBA Draft out of UCONN, went to a different kind of school Friday and Saturday.

Thabeet and his agents asked Hall of Fame center Hakeem Olajuwon for a personal workout and the two got together for a pair of sessions in the Houston area.

Thabeet's goal was to sharpen his skills and tap into the knowledge of one of greatest centers of all-time and who better to work with than Olajuwon.

"It's always a joy for me when a great, potential talent would like to improve their footwork," Olajuwon said in an interview with FOX 26 Sports. It's a huge compliment for me that somebody realized the value of their post moves and trying to pattern their game after my game."

Thabeet said getting the opportunity to work with a Hall of Famer like Olajuwon was a dream come true.

"I still watch his tapes," Thabeet said. "He was one of the best players of all-time.

"To spend a couple of hours with him (Friday) and (Saturday), I think it's going to help me a lot. He taught me a lot of stuff that I never thought of."

Olajuwon made a miraculous journey from his home country of Nigeria to the top of the world of basketball.

Like Olajuwon, Thabeet is also from the Continent of Africa. He is working toward making a similar journey from his home country of Tanzania.

He wants to follow in Olajuwon's footsteps with hopes of having similar results.

"Just come out here and work hard, that's what he did," Thabeet said. "He came out here for school and ended up having a great career.

"He's one of idols. I'm going to work hard. I believe anything can happen. I believe I can always make it as long as I work hard."

Olajuwon understands why Thabeet looks up to him.

"It's natural," Olajuwon said. "We play the same position. He's a big guy, a real big guy.

"It's great (for him) to see somebody who has traveled that path before and also he can benefit a lot from that person.

"I think it's a win-win situation. I think it's an obligation."

The giving of his time and basketball knowledge to men like Thabeet is Olajuwon's way of giving back to the game.

"It's part of my responsibility," Olajuwon said. "If somebody reaches out to you and you know you have that to offer and you know (he) can benefit so much from that."

Olajuwon is one of the few big men in NBA history whose game centered around finesse and power. It was a style that helped Olajuwon lead the Rockets to a pair of NBA titles in the mid-90's.

Olajuwon believes Thabeet can develop a similar style of play.

"Right now he's a shot-blocker," Olajuwon said. "That's instinctive. You don't teach that.

"The defensive part of the game, he can be a force already"

But Olajuwon said he doesn't want to see Thabeet be limited to just being a defensive player.

"He has a tremendous opportunity to be an offensive player because of his height advantage (7'3), his skills," Olajuwon said. "He runs the floor.

"He's agile. "

Olajuwon believes the sky is the limit for Thabeet.

"Right now he has the opportunity to be whatever," Olajuwon said. "Because he's unique to have that kind of size and that touch."

Thabeet is thrilled with Olajuwon's compliments.

"It means a lot to me," Thabeet said. "He comes from the same background as me. He definitley knows what it takes to get there."

Olajuwon has worked with three other current NBA players including Houston Rockets center Yao Ming and New Orleans Hornets center Emeka Okafor.

Monday Los Angeles Lakers star Kobe Bryant was in Houston for a two-hour workout with Olajuwon.

Olajuwon said Bryant reached out to him for help with his moves in the post.

"He gave me the biggest compliment," Olajuwon said. "(He said) You are the best (at the) mid-post and post move.

"He wanted me to show my moves to him."

Olajuwon said his style of play in the paint is really suited for a guy like Bryant.

"In my mind most of my moves for a guy (with) that agility can use it better than the big guy," Olajuwon said. "Because my moves are not really for the big guy.

"It's for the guards and small forwards. So he would benefit most on the post because of his agility.

"It was so much fun because how he picks it up. I worked with him for two hours, step by step."

Olajuwon expects Bryant to be even better than he was last season when he led the Lakers to the NBA Championship.

"Adding those moves to his game, watch out for him this year," Olajuwon said. "I understand his dedication. His desire to win and stay on top.

"That's what I respect most about him."

By the way, Olajuwon said he would never have held one-on-one sessions like this if he was still playing.

"You don't want to give them your secrets," Olajuwon said.

24goingfor2
09-26-2009, 11:39 PM
thats really cool. an all around great player and thats two guys recognizing that.

TannerOwnsDevin
09-26-2009, 11:40 PM
ibkobefanboyssayskobewillhaveabetterfadeawaygameth anmj

homestarunner93
09-26-2009, 11:55 PM
Sounds like a PSD NBA Sim League to me...

asandhu23
09-26-2009, 11:55 PM
ibkobefanboyssayskobewillhaveabetterfadeawaygameth anmj

spacebar not working?

Shady66
09-26-2009, 11:59 PM
spacebar not working?

lol

clutchski
09-27-2009, 12:00 AM
Sweet, Hasheem needs the advice for his offensive game haha.

JNA17
09-27-2009, 12:04 AM
spacebar not working?

lol x2

JNA17
09-27-2009, 12:11 AM
but in all seriousness now kobe learns the dream shake :speechless:

Raph12
09-27-2009, 01:32 AM
Sweet, Hasheem needs the advice for his offensive game haha.

Apparently Hasheem bombed during the summer league, so he may need that advice for both ends of the court. Btw playing behind Gasol isn't going to do much for his development.

Lakers4ItAll
09-27-2009, 02:03 AM
Just another example of Kobe putting in the work in the offseason to become even better, alot of players should follow suit

_KB24_
09-27-2009, 02:25 AM
Just another example of Kobe putting in the work in the offseason to become even better, alot of players should follow suit

Instead of wearing shirts like Check My Stats and appearing on every talk show imaginable....

JKJK Mark Blount fans ;)

pippsux
09-27-2009, 02:59 AM
Men, if Kobe can get 50% of the dream shake down, he will be literally unguardable. Good to see players like Kobe and a rook like Thabeet wanting to get better and good to see Hakeem making himself available to everyone. Class act, always.

Jahari Kavi
09-27-2009, 03:23 AM
respect to Kobe for still trying to add things to his game....nothing wrong with studying from my idol!

Jahari Kavi
09-27-2009, 03:23 AM
Men, if Kobe can get 50% of the dream shake down, he will be literally unguardable. Good to see players like Kobe and a rook like Thabeet wanting to get better and good to see Hakeem making himself available to everyone. Class act, always.

without a doubt.....

Raph12
09-27-2009, 03:44 AM
Good to see guys young and old still trying to better their game. I think D-Howard should get in on this tutoring session, the Dream could do wonders for Dwight's game.

JayW_1023
09-27-2009, 04:44 AM
Dwight Howard needs to get Hakeem or Clifford Ray to teach him again...not Pat Ewing.

bigsams50
09-27-2009, 08:12 AM
Good to see guys young and old still trying to better their game. I think D-Howard should get in on this tutoring session, the Dream could do wonders for Dwight's game.

If dwight could develop some offensive moves, man watch out

Wilson
09-27-2009, 09:36 AM
Can't wait to see the Kobe shake...:D :p

JordansBulls
09-27-2009, 09:41 AM

I'm interested to see where he will do it at? It must be when he is down low posting up a guard. I can't imagine him doing it from the perimeter.

Wilson
09-27-2009, 09:50 AM
I'm interested to see where he will do it at? It must be when he is down low posting up a guard. I can't imagine him doing it from the perimeter.

It's not that uncommon for Kobe to post someone up, especially when we're running with the Pau/Lamar front court. The problem is he relies mostly on his fade-away, which he doesn't hit with the consistency that he'll get from it in the mid/deep game.

If he does start to rely on Hakeem's moves a bit, the Lakers will have a really strong, extra dimension which will be very important in their quest to repeat.

MackSnackWrap
09-27-2009, 09:57 AM
Hasheem Thabeet really needs to work on his

Strumpy
09-27-2009, 10:11 AM
Should we really expect anything less from Kobe at this point?

blastmasta26
09-27-2009, 10:59 AM
Good to see Hasheem knows he needs help, he was terrible during Summer League. When you do bad there, that's not a good sign.

rabzouz 96
09-27-2009, 12:06 PM
If he does start to rely on Hakeem's moves a bit, the Lakers will have a really strong, extra dimension which will be very important in their quest to repeat.

sure...

rabzouz 96
09-27-2009, 12:08 PM
memphis should look to get olajuwon as a bigman coach for thabeet for the season, but sadyl they prolly dont have the money for that.

Jay22Redd
09-27-2009, 12:25 PM
Kobe is just going to be that much better.

TannerOwnsDevin
09-27-2009, 01:55 PM

:facepalm: @ doing a dreamshake on the perimeter

TannerOwnsDevin
09-27-2009, 01:56 PM
spacebar not working?

actuallyitsnotworkingsometimeswhydoesitbotheryou

ko8e24
09-27-2009, 02:03 PM
actuallyitsnotworkingsometimeswhydoesitbotheryou

wut a fruitcake...

anyways, we have a new sig move in the nba...the mamba rattler! (since mamba is a snake, like a hybrid of a black mamba and a rattlesnake) lol

MiamiHeat
09-27-2009, 02:05 PM
yeah because Kobe is the only one working this offseason to get better :rolleyes:

rabzouz 96
09-27-2009, 02:31 PM
wut a fruitcake...

anyways, we have a new sig move in the nba...the mamba rattler! (since mamba is a snake, like a hybrid of a black mamba and a rattlesnake) lol

lulz please not, i like kobe but that mamba nickname is one of the gayest things in the league, the only gayer nickname i can think of is durantula.

TannerOwnsDevin
09-27-2009, 03:31 PM

:facepalm:

ARMIN12NBA
09-27-2009, 04:05 PM
Kobe's dedication to the game is second to none. Many, many players take their summers off after their championship and bask in the glory (see: Shaq). Bryant continues to try to elevate his game and learn from the greats of the game. His respect level and curiosity for the history of the game is unparalleled in the league. Not to mention his innate ability to pick up the different nuisances of basketball as Hakeem alluded to.

I Am Awesome-O
09-27-2009, 04:21 PM
I wish the Grizzlies would add Olajuwon to their coaching staff. He is about as good a mentor as Gasol/Thabeet/Haddadi can get.

Lakersfan2483
09-27-2009, 05:15 PM
http://www.myfoxhouston.com/dpp/sports/090926_olajuwon_works_with_grizzlies_thabeet

Olajuwon Works With Grizzlies' Thabeet
Lakers' Bryant also Sought Out Olajuwon
Updated: Saturday, 26 Sep 2009, 4:58 PM CDT
Published : Saturday, 26 Sep 2009, 4:19 PM CDT

MARK BERMAN
HOUSTON - Memphis Grizzlies rookie center Hasheem Thabeet, the second pick in June's NBA Draft out of UCONN, went to a different kind of school Friday and Saturday.

Thabeet and his agents asked Hall of Fame center Hakeem Olajuwon for a personal workout and the two got together for a pair of sessions in the Houston area.

Thabeet's goal was to sharpen his skills and tap into the knowledge of one of greatest centers of all-time and who better to work with than Olajuwon.

"It's always a joy for me when a great, potential talent would like to improve their footwork," Olajuwon said in an interview with FOX 26 Sports. It's a huge compliment for me that somebody realized the value of their post moves and trying to pattern their game after my game."

Thabeet said getting the opportunity to work with a Hall of Famer like Olajuwon was a dream come true.

"I still watch his tapes," Thabeet said. "He was one of the best players of all-time.

"To spend a couple of hours with him (Friday) and (Saturday), I think it's going to help me a lot. He taught me a lot of stuff that I never thought of."

Olajuwon made a miraculous journey from his home country of Nigeria to the top of the world of basketball.

Like Olajuwon, Thabeet is also from the Continent of Africa. He is working toward making a similar journey from his home country of Tanzania.

He wants to follow in Olajuwon's footsteps with hopes of having similar results.

"Just come out here and work hard, that's what he did," Thabeet said. "He came out here for school and ended up having a great career.

"He's one of idols. I'm going to work hard. I believe anything can happen. I believe I can always make it as long as I work hard."

Olajuwon understands why Thabeet looks up to him.

"It's natural," Olajuwon said. "We play the same position. He's a big guy, a real big guy.

"It's great (for him) to see somebody who has traveled that path before and also he can benefit a lot from that person.

"I think it's a win-win situation. I think it's an obligation."

The giving of his time and basketball knowledge to men like Thabeet is Olajuwon's way of giving back to the game.

"It's part of my responsibility," Olajuwon said. "If somebody reaches out to you and you know you have that to offer and you know (he) can benefit so much from that."

Olajuwon is one of the few big men in NBA history whose game centered around finesse and power. It was a style that helped Olajuwon lead the Rockets to a pair of NBA titles in the mid-90's.

Olajuwon believes Thabeet can develop a similar style of play.

"Right now he's a shot-blocker," Olajuwon said. "That's instinctive. You don't teach that.

"The defensive part of the game, he can be a force already"

But Olajuwon said he doesn't want to see Thabeet be limited to just being a defensive player.

"He has a tremendous opportunity to be an offensive player because of his height advantage (7'3), his skills," Olajuwon said. "He runs the floor.

"He's agile. "

Olajuwon believes the sky is the limit for Thabeet.

"Right now he has the opportunity to be whatever," Olajuwon said. "Because he's unique to have that kind of size and that touch."

Thabeet is thrilled with Olajuwon's compliments.

"It means a lot to me," Thabeet said. "He comes from the same background as me. He definitley knows what it takes to get there."

Olajuwon has worked with three other current NBA players including Houston Rockets center Yao Ming and New Orleans Hornets center Emeka Okafor.

Monday Los Angeles Lakers star Kobe Bryant was in Houston for a two-hour workout with Olajuwon.

Olajuwon said Bryant reached out to him for help with his moves in the post.

"He gave me the biggest compliment," Olajuwon said. "(He said) You are the best (at the) mid-post and post move.

"He wanted me to show my moves to him."

Olajuwon said his style of play in the paint is really suited for a guy like Bryant.

"In my mind most of my moves for a guy (with) that agility can use it better than the big guy," Olajuwon said. "Because my moves are not really for the big guy.

"It's for the guards and small forwards. So he would benefit most on the post because of his agility.

"It was so much fun because how he picks it up. I worked with him for two hours, step by step."

Olajuwon expects Bryant to be even better than he was last season when he led the Lakers to the NBA Championship.

"Adding those moves to his game, watch out for him this year," Olajuwon said. "I understand his dedication. His desire to win and stay on top.

"That's what I respect most about him."

By the way, Olajuwon said he would never have held one-on-one sessions like this if he was still playing.

"You don't want to give them your secrets," Olajuwon said.

Smart move by both Kobe and Thabeet, you can always learn something new, no matter how good you are. Kobe is always trying to get better and his dedication is what separates him from most.....

Lakersfan2483
09-27-2009, 05:23 PM

:):p Same here Wilson, can't wait to see it. It's going to be interesting to see his new moves down low, he's going to be more lethal.

ko8e24
09-27-2009, 05:31 PM
yeah because Kobe is the only one working this offseason to get better :rolleyes:

kobe doesn't just work out (anyone can do that), he reinvents himself. he goes with the times, sees the level of physicality (or lack thereof) at that point in the league and the way refs call the game to adjust his body form in a grueling 48 minute game. he sees what gave him trouble last yr when he'd have to guard certain players, or the problems he faced when he was being guarded by guys of a certain length or weight class. He doesn't get enuf credit for his smarts and craftiness. he has smart trainers around him, and he himself is a very instinctive basketball player (not many are in this league, u have to admit that). it's not just simply working out during the offseason, its going back at the tapes, reminiscing of the good and bad moments of the season, and looking to see how u can improve ur game as well as ur body work (the fact that hez 31 and entering season #14, which is ridiculous!)

TannerOwnsDevin
09-27-2009, 06:55 PM
(see: Documentary about Olympic squad; James, Wade, Howard, Paul, etc. revered Kobe for his tireless work ethic; "First one in the gym, last one out").

you guys are killing me. if kobe is putting so much work in his game (moreso than others, as others have claimed) then why cant he even shoot above 48%?:rolleyes:

TannerOwnsDevin
09-27-2009, 07:01 PM
kobe doesn't just work out (anyone can do that), he reinvents himself.

so, kobe reinvents himself by relying on his jumpshooting, taking ill advised shots instead of doing what works for him like attacking the basket?:facepalm:

Litchris12
09-27-2009, 07:22 PM
kobe is a freaking beast.....im def gonna watch him this year

Wilson
09-27-2009, 07:50 PM
sure...

:confused:

Don't you think that Kobe adding one of the most effective post moves to his game will add an extra dimension to the Lakers?

:facepalm: @ doing a dreamshake on the perimeter

The Dreamshake is just using superior footwork to 'shake' a defender loose. It can easily be done on the perimeter if you have a good jump-shot to compliment it.

you guys are killing me. if kobe is putting so much work in his game (moreso than others, as others have claimed) then why cant he even shoot above 48%?:rolleyes:

47% (Kobe's career high), and 46% (career average) are both very good averages for a guard.

Verbal Christ
09-27-2009, 07:53 PM
why didnt kobe and the fake 'dream' just go ask shaq to help out since according to some in here he's way better than olajuwon anyways. LOL

ARMIN12NBA
09-27-2009, 08:19 PM

How did you pick that arbitrary number? You looked through Bryant's FG% numbers and saw he hasn't gotten past that, right?

Well, rational and logical observations will point to the fact that Bryant's FG% throughout the years is fantastic. He shoots well above average for his position.

Example: A center shooting 48% is actually worse than a guard shooting 46%. The center is shooting below average and the guard is shooting above average.

Do you understand the concept? Your arbitrary number doesn't apply here and is not based on any actual fact and/or trend.

rabzouz 96
09-27-2009, 08:26 PM
Don't you think that Kobe adding one of the most effective post moves to his game will add an extra dimension to the Lakers?

no not really. i dont think that if the lakers repeat it has anything to do with kobe learning this new move, theyre just fine with kobe how he is, theyre still the team to beat. it is nice that he tries to learn it, but-even if olajuwon says its a guard/forward move- i dont see it as an often used or very useful move for kobe or other non postplayers. i think he has enough moves that are as successful in the paintrange and dont think it will change anything in the outcome of this season.

rabzouz 96
09-27-2009, 08:33 PM
black mamba is gay????? better than the uncreative ones out there like lbj23, or cp3 (gets overused soooooooooooo much), d12, tp (tony parker) etc.

and how can one be called "the king" when he's not even the best playa in the league?

black mamba, flash, diesel/big aristotle/the original superman/kazaam, big ticket, big fundamental, the answer, the big spaniard (pau), the big german (dirk), the brazilian blur (leandro barbosa), STAT, d-fish, vinsanity, t-mac, cap'n jack (stephen jackson), the candyman (lamar odom), etc. etc.

way better than first letter of first name-first letter of last name-jersey number uncreative crap

the king is debateably the best player in the league(please no debate in this thread, there are about 10000000000 other threads where its debated). and this nickname is just fine, it sounds alright. now this is nothing really worth discussing here, since its very subjective, but black mamba to me sounds totally gay and much worse than any other of the names you mentioned, the cp3, d12,lbj and kb8/24(yes even he has one of these) names arent the most creative names, but theyre ok.

GspLAL
09-27-2009, 08:38 PM
this is ridiculous, homerism at its best:rolleyes:

a lot of players works on their game after winning a title. i remember ray allen and kg starting their workout ahead of every boston celtic after winning the title.

sheesh kobe fans:facepalm:

:facepalm::facepalm::facepalm::facepalm::facepalm: :facepalm::facepalm::facepalm::facepalm::facepalm: :facepalm::facepalm::facepalm::facepalm::facepalm:

Wilson
09-27-2009, 08:50 PM
no not really. i dont think that if the lakers repeat it has anything to do with kobe learning this new move, theyre just fine with kobe how he is, theyre still the team to beat. it is nice that he tries to learn it, but-even if olajuwon says its a guard/forward move- i dont see it as an often used or very useful move for kobe or other non postplayers. i think he has enough moves that are as successful in the paintrange and dont think it will change anything in the outcome of this season.

Like I said before, Kobe relies on his fade-away quite a lot in the post, where he doesn't hit it as consistently as he does from 15 feet and further. Learning this extra move, and refining his post footwork will open the Lakers offense more, and make it even harder for teams to defend Kobe and our outside shooters.

drama1386
09-27-2009, 08:51 PM
all i gotta say is that if kobe can get the dream shake down in the post, he will be unguardable. man, i can't WAIT for this upcoming season!

ko8e24
09-27-2009, 08:54 PM
the king is debateably the best player in the league(please no debate in this thread, there are about 10000000000 other threads where its debated). and this nickname is just fine, it sounds alright. now this is nothing really worth discussing here, since its very subjective, but black mamba to me sounds totally gay and much worse than any other of the names you mentioned, the cp3, d12,lbj and kb8/24(yes even he has one of these) names arent the most creative names, but theyre ok.

fair enuf.

rabzouz 96
09-27-2009, 09:24 PM
fair enuf.

;)

Chronz
09-27-2009, 11:37 PM
why didnt kobe and the fake 'dream' just go ask shaq to help out since according to some in here he's way better than olajuwon anyways. LOL
LOL whats he going to ask Shaq? How do you drop step and flush in so many peoples faces? Thats what made Shaq great, the fact that nobody had his innate talent.