PDA

View Full Version : Wolves looking for another PG

PurpleJesus
09-26-2009, 11:19 PM
http://www.fantasysp.com/player/nba/Antonio_Daniels/548436

The Timberwolves, once thought to have to many PG's have bought out Antonio Daniels, leaving them with only two PG's on the roster, Johnny Flynn and Ramon Session.

boeknows
09-28-2009, 12:28 AM
From what i have seen then havent bought him out yet. They are doing the same thing with him as they are doing with blount, they are letting him seek a trade and if they cant find anything then they will buy him out.

Mavrix
09-28-2009, 12:30 AM
Sessions and Flynn have a lot of potential. They should start Flynn and Sessions should split time with him backing him up.

ko8e24
09-28-2009, 12:33 AM
perhaps wolves should trade blount and daniels to get a guy who can create his own shot, like a solid SG/SF type of player. I just dont think Pavlovic is much of a reliable guy at the SG position. he sucked in his last 2 yrs with the cavs.

JermanJaysFan
09-28-2009, 12:53 AM
I'd take Corey Brewer off their hands for Marcus Banks...:shrug:

Ace33Bone
09-28-2009, 10:52 AM
This just seems like the story of the T-Wolves off season... I agree with ko8e24 they need to get a SG that can compliment Al Jefferson and I think they would be decent

Hawkeye15
09-28-2009, 01:44 PM
Kahn is simply making it publically known that these 2 aren't playing for the Wolves, and they can look for a trade. If nobody picks them up, Daniels and Blount will get desperate and take a lower number on that buyout to get out.
I would prefer they trade for a dynamic wing, but this is a bad time to do so, every team still has a false sense of hope for example. They don't want to let a player go that they probably should.
If they are bought out, it will give the Wolves between 13-15$ million under the cap next summer to sign a dynamic wing regardless, and they can add thru their possible 3 1st rounders as well.

PBG
09-28-2009, 02:37 PM
blount and daniels for rip haaaamilton (yessir)

brandonwarne52
09-28-2009, 02:43 PM

If we wanted Marcus Banks we'd have resigned him.

SirCarlton
09-28-2009, 02:47 PM
haha the wolves are gonna make a record for most rights brought in and sent back out for pg's in a single offseason

brandonwarne52
09-28-2009, 02:49 PM
....if they haven't already!

Litchris12
09-28-2009, 02:54 PM
damn already when will kahn ever stop

brandonwarne52
09-28-2009, 02:55 PM
...making the team better?

Hopefully not soon.

njnets825
09-28-2009, 03:36 PM
send the nets Oleksiy Pecherov for alston. for some reason i think guy can be pretty good. he's buried on the twolves bench anyway

smith&wesson
09-28-2009, 04:15 PM
im starting to think this khan guy is our of his mind.

why do you need a another point gaurd, when you drafted two... and then realized you coudnt get one so you basically wasted a top draft pick... and then you go and spend money on a good point gaurd now you have two yonge point gaurds and still need a third, and your shooting gaurd is a joke.

hmmm maybe instead of drafting two point gaurds you could have just had flyn, drafted stephen curry to be your shooting gaurd and then went and got sessions. i guess he really had a hard on for rubio.... thats what happends when you fall in love with a prospect rather then drafting for your teams need.

JermanJaysFan
09-28-2009, 04:39 PM
If we wanted Marcus Banks we'd have resigned him.

I was kidding. Nobody in their right mind should want Marcus Banks.

daleja424
09-28-2009, 04:41 PM
I was kidding. Nobody in their right mind should want Marcus Banks.

x2

franey25
09-28-2009, 04:46 PM

thats a great idea!

HouRealCoach
09-28-2009, 05:49 PM
Daniels/Blount for Michael Redd

HouRealCoach
09-28-2009, 05:50 PM
....then Sign a PG

PurpleJesus
09-28-2009, 06:06 PM

why do you need a another point gaurd, when you drafted two... and then realized you coudnt get one so you basically wasted a top draft pick... and then you go and spend money on a good point gaurd now you have two yonge point gaurds and still need a third, and your shooting gaurd is a joke.

hmmm maybe instead of drafting two point gaurds you could have just had flyn, drafted stephen curry to be your shooting gaurd and then went and got sessions. i guess he really had a hard on for rubio.... thats what happends when you fall in love with a prospect rather then drafting for your teams need.

What happens when you draft for needs is you end up with Sam Bowie instead of Michael Jordan, or Darko Milicic instead of Carmelo, Wade or Bosh

smith&wesson
09-28-2009, 06:08 PM
What happens when you draft for needs is you end up with Sam Bowie instead of Michael Jordan, or Darko Milicic instead of Carmelo, Wade or Bosh

LOL two examples, years and years apart thats what i would call bad scouting and managment not doing theyre homework.

you dont draft two point gaurds when your team also has other needs.

JNA17
09-28-2009, 06:08 PM

this.

Seriously Kahn is not worse then isiah but it looks like he's almost following that path.

Ware_Spencer
09-28-2009, 06:41 PM
this.

Seriously Kahn is not worse then isiah but it looks like he's almost following that path.

You guys are insane. Kahn is doing the exact opposite to what Isiah Thomas did. He is clearing cap space and keeping his young players.

Isiah Thomas traded away expiring contracts for long over valued players. And traded away a lot of young players.

That isn't even a comparison. Not even close to the same path.

If you want to say he is a bad GM than thats fine but come up with a good comparison.

And what moves has he made that has ruined the team? Give me one because I only hear the same one. And its always about drafting two PG's. He drafted the best players available. Rubio has value. If Flynn doesn't pan out they have Rubio. If Rubio doesn't pan out than they have flynn. And Sessions is can be a combo guard and he is cheap.
If they both pan out than they have a guy who can be traded and get good value back. Point Guards who are pass first are hard to find.

Kyben36
09-28-2009, 08:05 PM
Kirk Hinrich for Love or Jeferson

PurpleJesus
09-28-2009, 09:05 PM
LOL two examples, years and years apart thats what i would call bad scouting and managment not doing theyre homework.

you dont draft two point gaurds when your team also has other needs.

would you like me to go on? I could probably name one for every top 5 pick in the last decade...You can draft back to back PGs in a draft if they are best available, and your team is in full rebuilding mode..in two years from now, Rubio will be all trade bait for us, and if he continues to develop, he should be worth another top 5 pick

Toenail Clipper
09-28-2009, 09:14 PM
Terrible organization!
This team is going no where! :mad:

MackSnackWrap
09-28-2009, 09:34 PM
perhaps wolves should trade blount and daniels to get a guy who can create his own shot, like a solid SG/SF type of player. I just dont think Pavlovic is much of a reliable guy at the SG position. he sucked in his last 2 yrs with the cavs.

ye i was thinking the same thing

Carey
09-28-2009, 09:34 PM
I think Kahn is doing a fine job, look at all the cap space he's built in a short time, also Jefferson, Love, Flynn, Brewer, Sessions are great young pieces, Ellington, Gomes and Hollins can be solid role players, I think what will be key is what he can get for rubio's draft rights, but overall they are in much better shape then they were in, Adding a Derozan at the 2 instead of Rubio would be nice but that easy to say in hindsight.

PurpleJesus
09-28-2009, 09:43 PM
Terrible organization!
This team is going no where! :mad:

says the clippers fan :facepalm:

smith&wesson
09-28-2009, 10:01 PM
would you like me to go on? I could probably name one for every top 5 pick in the last decade...You can draft back to back PGs in a draft if they are best available, and your team is in full rebuilding mode..in two years from now, Rubio will be all trade bait for us, and if he continues to develop, he should be worth another top 5 pick

no i get what your sayin... but man the Twolves had two top draft picks, and truelly they should have looked at the rubio situation a little bit closer before drafting him because its not like minisota's in a position to gamble... drafting 2 poing gaurds was questionable, now not having one of the picks and having to go out and spend money on a player who plays the same position as the guy you just drafted who cant play.. i dont know man. I think there was other players they should have looked at who could come in and contribute this season and at a cheaper cost. he gambled. he gambled with something the t wolved needed more out of.

PurpleJesus
09-28-2009, 10:04 PM
You guys are insane. Kahn is doing the exact opposite to what Isiah Thomas did. He is clearing cap space and keeping his young players.

Isiah Thomas traded away expiring contracts for long over valued players. And traded away a lot of young players.

If you want to say he is a bad GM than thats fine but come up with a good comparison.

And what moves has he made that has ruined the team? Give me one because I only hear the same one. And its always about drafting two PG's. He drafted the best players available. Rubio has value. If Flynn doesn't pan out they have Rubio. If Rubio doesn't pan out than they have flynn. And Sessions is can be a combo guard and he is cheap.
If they both pan out than they have a guy who can be traded and get good value back. Point Guards who are pass first are hard to find.

awesome, a non-timberwolves fan understands whats going on, very refreshing. Kahn has been furious clearing up cap space, which he has done an unbelievable job of doing...he has gotten rid of players who are not part of our future which clears up playing time for our younger players...Flynn has two years to prove himself, if he doesnt prove himself, we bring rubio in, if he does prove himself, we have a top prospect who plays PG on the trade block...People look at this club and think we are trying to get into the playoffs this year when Kahn basically threw that idea out the window and said we are rebuilding the right way, this will take time, maybe two years

Wolves assets

Love
Jefferson
Brewer
Flynn
Rubio
Gomes
Ellington
Sessions
Rubio
3 first round picks next year
$33 million coming off the cap next season
and if you look at this
http://hoopshype.com/salaries/minnesota.htm
we dont have a single bad contract

ChiSox219
09-28-2009, 10:06 PM

I like a lot of what Kahn has done and Rubio was the right pick, don't know about Flynn when Derozen was on the board still, but honestly I don't know all that much about the T'wolves needs.

BTW, not uncommon to carry 3 PGs, Bulls do it.

topdog
09-28-2009, 10:07 PM
says the clippers fan :facepalm:

OMG! I had the very same thought! LOL

Seriously though, we haven't even played one game so we don't have any idea how well/poorly Kahn's team will play including SG Ellington. He averaged a nice scoring average in summer league and really could benefit from Love/Jefferson.

Rubio is value and it would be stupid not to take him.

Olawakandee is another of those "hey look! a position we need to fill!" top pick guys.

PurpleJesus
09-28-2009, 10:10 PM
no i get what your sayin... but man the Twolves had two top draft picks, and truelly they should have looked at the rubio situation a little bit closer before drafting him because its not like minisota's in a position to gamble... drafting 2 poing gaurds was questionable, now not having one of the picks and having to go out and spend money on a player who plays the same position as the guy you just drafted who cant play.. i dont know man. I think there was other players they should have looked at who could come in and contribute this season and at a cheaper cost. he gambled. he gambled with something the t wolved needed more out of.

The Timberwolves did look at the Rubio situation, thats one of the reasons we drafted flynn as well, just in case something like this did happen, and it did...now think in two years when Rubio is 20/21 years old, and still one of the top PG prospects in the leaque...his trade value will be very high...also, the timberwolves are in position to gamble as we will not be competeing for the playoffs for at least two years...its teams like the spurs, or lakers that cannot gamble...Now if Tyreke Evans lasted to pick #5, we wouldnt be having this conversation because the team would have went Rubio then Tyreke...Stephen Curry demanded in the draft that he is a PG, his agent said he is a PG, but the wolves said, you cant play PG for us...so who else would be available with the #6 pick that would make sense? Derozan possibly, and I would love to have him, but why take someone who is te 12th-15th best prospect in the draft at #6?

PurpleJesus
09-28-2009, 10:11 PM
Brandon Roy for Randy Foye will go down as one of the worst trades of this decade.
But I like a lot of what Kahn has done and Rubio was the right pick, don't know about Flynn when Derozen was on the board still, but honestly I don't know all that much about the T'wolves needs.

BTW, not uncommon to carry 3 PGs, Bulls do it.

Kahn didnt make that trade, that was Kevin McHale

Carey
09-28-2009, 10:13 PM
awesome, a non-timberwolves fan understands whats going on, very refreshing. Kahn has been furious clearing up cap space, which he has done an unbelievable job of doing...he has gotten rid of players who are not part of our future which clears up playing time for our younger players...Flynn has two years to prove himself, if he doesnt prove himself, we bring rubio in, if he does prove himself, we have a top prospect who plays PG on the trade block...People look at this club and think we are trying to get into the playoffs this year when Kahn basically threw that idea out the window and said we are rebuilding the right way, this will take time, maybe two years

Wolves assets

Love
Jefferson
Brewer
Flynn
Rubio
Gomes
Ellington
Sessions
Rubio
3 first round picks next year
$33 million coming off the cap next season
and if you look at this
http://hoopshype.com/salaries/minnesota.htm
we dont have a single bad contract

Exactly!, well said.....and that was done in one offseason as far as the cap space, i guess it takes a fan of another rebuiding team to see that lol

ChiSox219
09-28-2009, 10:15 PM
Kahn didnt make that trade, that was Kevin McHale

My bad

PurpleJesus
09-28-2009, 10:18 PM
Exactly!, well said.....and that was done in one offseason as far as the cap space, i guess it takes a fan of another rebuiding team to see that lol

OKC is so set...did you read that quote where Lebron said he would love to have the Thunder as his supporting cast? can you imagine Green, Harden, Lebron, Durant and Westbrook all together on the same team?

Carey
09-28-2009, 10:31 PM
^Naw i missed that quote, I think our young core of KD, Green, Westbrook, Harden, Mullens, Ibaka....man the list goes on and on, we are very young but i think we're ready make a lil noise, plus we got 5 picks in this upcoming draft which i think we'll use in trades because we almost have too much young talent, Lebron with are core would be sick tho

Mplsman
09-28-2009, 10:48 PM
Kahn will add a filler pg probably one of our gaurds we signed to our practice squad; doesn't matter. David Kahn has stated numerous times that the Timberwolves will not be an immediate threat this year. Our lineup WILL NOT be complete yet. Kahn and Rambis will be giving our core group of guys, that they feel are a part of our future, majority minutes and crucial development. Likely giving us another high draft choice. Who cares? We were going nowhere fast with last years roster anyways. Everyone else on our roster are only fillers for now and most are expiring anyways. The Timberwolves, thanks to the entrance of David Kahn, now have a bright promising future over the span of one single offseason. Kahn was able to shake an entirely messed up roster upside down and turn it into one of the most promising organizations for the near future. Adding a bigger name free agent next year is Kahn's prime objective. He knows we now have some serious ching and solid future to offer a free agent. Built upon fast break, pass first style basketball? I think we'll spark some interest. Kahn has an entire coaching staff dedicated towards accomplishing this.

*"Jerry Sichting has been named the Director of Pro Player Personnel. Sichting will oversee the scouting of NBA players as the Timberwolves head into the summer of 2010 with significant salary cap room. He will also confer on a regular basis with head coach Kurt Rambis."*

"Jerry's experience in both player personnel and on the bench makes him well suited to handle this important task for us," Kahn said. "This coming summer is obviously an important one for our franchise."

With an All Star coaching staff focused on player development along with a potential 3 first round draft choices next year, I can only speak kind words for the great work that David Kahn has put in for our organization already. To me, his vision is clear and mathematically precise. I have not been this excited for my Timberwolves franchise in my entire life. Kahn's work has truly made me believe that one man can change the path for an organization...Kind of like my Purp. *