PDA

View Full Version : Drew Gooden to start at center for Dallas

Mavrix
09-26-2009, 04:58 PM
http://nba.fanhouse.com/2009/09/24/gooden-at-center-makes-mavs-better/

Now with his seventh NBA team, Drew Gooden has played a variety of roles in his much-traveled NBA career. He is about to have a new one -- starting center for a Western Conference contender, according to a radio report cited by DallasBasketball.com.

When Gooden was signed as a free agent this summer by the Dallas Mavericks, it was widely assumed that he was coming mostly to provide depth in the front court for a veteran team still hoping to make a final push before it starts to rebuild.

That just wasn't true, apparently.

Much to the dismay of Erick Dampier, last season's starting center, Gooden now will open training camp perceived as the key to a smaller, more versatile lineup with him assuming a starter's role. This just might give them a chance to reach the conference final.

To everyone's surprise this week, first general manager Donnie Nelson talked about Dampier coming off the bench, then coach Rick Carlisle confirmed that Dampier is no longer considered the team's starter.

"Our plan is to start Gooden at center on most nights,'' Carlisle said in a segment on Dallas radio station The Ticket, according to DB.com's Mike Fisher. "Things can change. And when we play a guy like Shaq, Damp probably will start.''

With so few good true centers in the West and only one Shaq, moving Gooden from forward to center makes sense for the Mavs, who won 50 games last season but lost to Denver in the first round of the playoffs.

Gooden has averaged 12 points and 7.9 rebounds through stops Memphis, Orlando, Cleveland, Chicago, Sacramento and San Antonio. He will be playing in an improved lineup that also includes newly-acquired Shawn Marion, along with Jason Kidd, Dirk Nowitzki and Josh Howard. They won't be as big as the Lakers, but without Dampier slowing them down, they could be quicker and more athletic overall.

They might be a good dark horse pick to come out of the West if the Lakers somehow stumble. They could be real good defensively if they buy into Carlisle's system.

Gooden still has a good low-post game, runs well and knows how to rebound. He can score without plays being run for him. He also sports the league's most intriguing facial hair, which makes him one of our favorites.

I wouldn't call Gooden small at center at 6'10, 250 pounds.

The Mavericks have transformed their starting line up to look like this:

PG: Jason Kidd - JJ Barea
SG: Josh Howard - Jason Terry
SF: Shawn Marion - James Singleton
PF: Dirk Nowitzki - Tim Thomas
C: Drew Gooden - Erick Dampier

Last year the Mavs went with this starting line up that led them to the Western Conference semi finals

PG: Kidd
SG: Wright
SF: Howard
PF: Nowitzki
C: Dampier

bigsams50
09-26-2009, 05:03 PM
Thats a pretty good line up

ko8e24
09-26-2009, 05:05 PM
Interesting decisions, I do feel it'll be Lakers vs Mavs 2010 WCF. And question, did Mavs lose Antoine Wright along with Stack in the Matrix deal?

abe_froman
09-26-2009, 05:05 PM
better than damp at least.good call

AIMelo=KillaDUO
09-26-2009, 05:10 PM
Solid starting 5

Mavrix
09-26-2009, 05:11 PM
Interesting decisions, I do feel it'll be Lakers vs Mavs 2010 WCF. And question, did Mavs lose Antoine Wright along with Stack in the Matrix deal?Yeah they traded Stackhouse and Wright for Marion, Humphries (which might be Dirks back up early on since Thomas got injured in a pick up game) and this Austrailian center named Nathan Jawai. They also picked up Quinton Ross from Memphis which pretty much has the same game as Wright. I definately think that Gooden should start over Dampier. He averaged 14 and 9 with 1.3 bpg as a starting center for Chicago

DamnGoat
09-26-2009, 05:12 PM
Gooden's pretty awful defensively, but certainly above average offensively. So don't be surprised to see some PF's or C's score at will against that post duo (Dirk, Gooden), but they should score plenty and grab a lot of rebounds.

Mavrix
09-26-2009, 05:14 PM
Gooden's pretty awful defensively, but certainly above average offensively. So don't be surprised to see some PF's or C's score at will against that post duo (Dirk, Gooden), but they should score plenty and grab a lot of rebounds.

That's where Dampier comes in to play defense if Gooden struggles on the defensive end

SA5195
09-26-2009, 05:19 PM
Wow.

Hellcrooner
09-26-2009, 05:30 PM
they should try and trade either terry ot howard for a true center.

Mavrix
09-26-2009, 05:46 PM
they should try and trade either terry ot howard for a true center.

I want them to trade Terry, but he's our best 3 point shooter. Howard has a sexy 11 million dollar expiring contract that should bait Dallas someone nice. Also Erick Dampier has a huge 13 million dollar expiring contract (as long as he doesn't play 25.6 mpg this season - a weird incentive, I know)

bigsams50
09-26-2009, 05:48 PM
^ yall should just sign lebron next year

Wilson
09-26-2009, 05:51 PM
I don't like this. Gooden is a talented offensive player, but they don't need that at center. Dampier will give them more defense, while Dirk Nowitzki, Shawn Marion, Josh Howard, Jason Kidd and Jason Terry will give them all the points they need.

Bad move, in my opinion.

Mavrix
09-26-2009, 05:54 PM
I don't like this. Gooden is a talented offensive player, but they don't need that at center. Dampier will give them more defense, while Dirk Nowitzki, Shawn Marion, Josh Howard, Jason Kidd and Jason Terry will give them all the points they need.

Bad move, in my opinion.Dampier slows them down. Do you remember who the starting center was for Dallas the year they went to the finals? Diop!

Yes, Desagana Diop was the starting center on a championship contending team with Dampier backing him up. He was much more athletic and quick compared to Dampier. Not as good defensively, but he was the better fit to start given his athleticism compared to Dampier.

yungballah15
09-26-2009, 05:56 PM
thats a good look for them, dallas is gone be a good team this year, plus they styll have barea, and terry of the bench, i expect the 2 have, either of does 2 on the court in the crunch time, with marion at the 4 maybe depending some nights and dirk at 5, howard at 3, terry at 2 kidd at the point.

Mavrix
09-26-2009, 05:56 PM
^ yall should just sign lebron next year

It's possible, Dallas can afford him as well as Mark Cuban but it won't happen. Thank god the All Star game is in Dallas this year so that all the stars can peep how great of a market Dallas truly is. If anything, I think Dallas will sign a second tier star like Joe Johnson next year.

Wilson
09-26-2009, 05:57 PM
Dampier slows them down. Do you remember who the starting center was for Dallas the year they went to the finals? Diop!

Yes, Desagana Diop was the starting center on a championship contending team with Dampier backing him up. He was much more athletic and quick compared to Dampier. Not as good defensively, but he was the better fit to start given his athleticism compared to Dampier.

I don't think it's much of an issue. The Mavs can run the fast break with Kidd, Howard and Marion. If they do get slowed down and have to run a half-court offense, they can easily get offense from Dirk Nowitzki. It's not like the fast break will be their only source of offense.

Mavrix
09-26-2009, 05:59 PM
thats a good look for them, dallas is gone be a good team this year, plus they styll have barea, and terry of the bench, i expect the 2 have, either of does 2 on the court in the crunch time, with marion at the 4 maybe depending some nights and dirk at 5, howard at 3, terry at 2 kidd at the point.
Terry will see a lot of minutes at the point as well. A lot of people are quick to forget that he was the starting PG for Dallas from 05-07 when Dallas went to the finals and then won 67 games the following year. The main reason Dallas lost to Golden State was because with Terry starting at PG, Baron Davis had the bigger advantage size wise and used it to his great advantage.

Hellcrooner
09-26-2009, 06:00 PM
mmm damp is an expiring? hrn dallas shoudl check if eddue curry is really in shape at seasons start and trade.

Wilson
09-26-2009, 06:03 PM
mmm damp is an expiring? hrn dallas shoudl check if eddue curry is really in shape at seasons start and trade.

Eddy Curry would hurt their defense even more than Drew Gooden...

BradHolt4CYoung
09-26-2009, 06:03 PM
I like Jason Terry he makes better chemistry on the floor. I think Marion is extremely washed up and should only be a part time starter. I guess Gooden is better then Damp but Damp brings better defense which should be more valuable then offense with Dirk, Howard, Terry, Kidd, Marion. Marion is washed up tho. He hasn't been the same in years and he has gotten hurt over the last few years, his knees are shot if you want to keep him fresh for the WHOLE season have him split time with Terry. I think the Mavs should start...

Kidd
Howard
Marion/Terry- when Marion sits move Howard to SF and Terry to SG
Dirk
Gooden

I'm not a big fan of the Mavs team. They have talent and my fav player of all time in J Kidd(Nets Fan) but they never seem to put it all together. and they are not better then LA.

dwadefan03
09-26-2009, 06:15 PM
that team is TOO talented it going to kill them. first of all... there is NO way Josh Howard, Jason Terry, Jason Kidd and JJ barea can share time in the backcourt. IMO one of them has to go. Barea is nice young pg and it would be a shame if his minutes got cut because of that logjam. second of all.... i dont think james singleton can play back-up sf. i cant see him guarding the quicker 3s in the league. i dont see why they dont just put dwitzki at the five and let everyone play their natural spot.(besides dirk of course)

ManRam
09-26-2009, 06:42 PM
Pretty deep team. Not sure it's a good thing that Gooden is their starter...but they definitely have a solid team. Not quite LA or SA good, but probably top 4 in the West good.

Illuminati999
09-26-2009, 06:48 PM
that team is TOO talented it going to kill them. first of all... there is NO way Josh Howard, Jason Terry, Jason Kidd and JJ barea can share time in the backcourt. IMO one of them has to go. Barea is nice young pg and it would be a shame if his minutes got cut because of that logjam. second of all.... i dont think james singleton can play back-up sf. i cant see him guarding the quicker 3s in the league. i dont see why they dont just put dwitzki at the five and let everyone play their natural spot.(besides dirk of course)

For the same reason Steve Nash doesn't play SF. Dirk is a SG/SF trapped in a C/PF's body. He can get away with playing PF because most PFs aren't as physically dominant as the centers. Dirk CAN play center, but why would the most effective/efficient player on the Mavericks play a position that would tire him offensively (banging with bigger and stronger bodies), thus, causing him to miss more shots, score less points, and get more fouls on the defensive end, which requires him to sit out more minutes?

AlexTmz2
09-26-2009, 06:51 PM
Can't play D.

op12
09-26-2009, 07:00 PM
i always thought gooden was underrated. mainly think he has moved around so much because he likes to shot too much. he needs to realize on this team he is the #5 option. if he can accept this i think this team has a shot. marion will be marion again with kidd and obviously dirk and j ho will produce. could be somewhat of a sleeper team this year.

MrFastBreak
09-26-2009, 08:06 PM
I'm happy for Dallas. Now they don't have to worry bout Damp and his hard fouls.

SchyGuy11
09-26-2009, 08:29 PM
i am a bulls fan, and drew gooden was pretty solid when he was here but you aren't winning any championships with him as your starting center

SirCarlton
09-26-2009, 08:42 PM
hahahahahaha drew gooden starting center what a joke..welcome back being knocked out in the first round again dallas

HouRealCoach
09-26-2009, 09:55 PM
Thats not a good inside defense.... I sure wish they got Kaman this offseason

Ace33Bone
09-28-2009, 11:10 AM
I feel that this is the best starting lineup that they can have... & When you look at that line up it is a very dangerous one

Chronz
09-28-2009, 11:21 AM
Driving lanes galore you guys have 2 of the best midrange shooting bigmen in the league