PDA

View Full Version : Haters That Attest Our Success To Our Stadium... Click Here

BostonSucks
09-26-2009, 02:52 PM
I got tired of seeing everyone say "well anyone could win games in that band box" etc. Its ridiculous and its something a dumb *** noob would say... but at the same point those same dumb *** noobs like stats.. So here we go

Look at their home / road splits.

BA:
Home: .284
Road: .283

HR:
Home: 126
Road: 105

RBI:
Home: 413
Road: 421

Runs:
Home: 421
Road: 438

Hits:
Home: 728
Road: 792

SLG:
Home: .490
Road: .470

OBP:
Home: .366
Road: .357

If it were the Stadium then the stats would be ridiculously skewed - a'la the Rockies and Coors before the humidor - and they're not. They're just as good a team on the road offensively but at home they accomplish it via the home run slightly more often. (From DBurch)

natepro
09-26-2009, 03:12 PM
but at the same point those same dumb *** noobs like stats..

Especially stats like Runs, RBI, and Hits! :laugh2:

SEATTLEredsox
09-26-2009, 03:44 PM
Especially stats like Runs, RBI, and Hits! :laugh2:

I was thinking the same thing haha...I think the only stat that you showed that really determines whether it is a hitters park is HR, and there is a bit of a discrepancy in that category

Imperial
09-26-2009, 03:51 PM
I got tired of seeing everyone say "well anyone could win games in that band box" etc. Its ridiculous and its something a dumb *** noob would say... but at the same point those same dumb *** noobs like stats.. So here we go

BA:

HR:

RBI:

Runs:

Hits:

SLG:

OBP:

If it were the Stadium then the stats would be ridiculously skewed - a'la the Rockies and Coors before the humidor - and they're not. They're just as good a team on the road offensively but at home they accomplish it via the home run slightly more often. (From DBurch)

If someone says the Yankees are a good team because of the stadium, they don't know what they're talking about. But it's a fact that the NYS has been the most home run hitting friendly park in baseball this year.

http://espn.go.com/mlb/stats/parkfactor/_/sort/HRFactor

So you do have to figure that into individual player stats if you want to accurately judge how good a season they've had this year.

t327
09-26-2009, 03:53 PM
I didn't even know people still used the "dumbass noob" insult(?) anymore.

Reminds me of my days playing Counter-strike.

2009mvp
09-26-2009, 04:04 PM
Uhhh, no. I think the "haters" (Aside: :laugh:) attribute the Yankees success to 200 million dollars...

Imperial
09-26-2009, 04:08 PM
Uhhh, no. I think the "haters" (Aside: :laugh:) attribute the Yankees success to 200 million dollars...

It sounds like tThere are only two types of people in the world. Those who love the Yankees, and those who don't and by default are unreasonable dumb "noob" haters who like stats.

GimmeAD
09-26-2009, 04:12 PM
No, no. The bottom line is if you aren't a Yankee fan then you are just "jealous"...

jojoe1188
09-26-2009, 04:23 PM
i don think anyone (who knows wat theyre talking about anyway) is attributing the yankees success this year to the stadium. however, at the same time, i dont think guys like damon and cano would have 24 and 23 home runs if they werent playing half there games in that stadium

Pensx3
09-26-2009, 04:27 PM
I attribute the Pirates misery to PNC Park...we dont have hitters or pitchers, so we are screwed either way...I hate the stadium arguments, the Yankees would tear it up wherever they played.

quiksilver2491
09-26-2009, 04:29 PM
Did you really just say "noob"?

How old are you exactly :eyebrow:

TallicaFan87
i don think anyone (who knows wat theyre talking about anyway) is attributing the yankees success this year to the stadium. however, at the same time, i dont think guys like damon and cano would have 24 and 23 home runs if they werent playing half there games in that stadium

Cano has 12 at home and 11 on the road.

The stadium has definitely helped Damon a lot though since his swing is pretty much perfect for the short RF.

Zep

This is an incredibly fair point...although I will say that I've seen plenty of people who "know what they're talking about" handwave away any Yankee success to the fact that they play in NYS...The stadium has a lot to do with HR's, but very little to do with the amount of times that the Yankee batters have come through in high leverage situations...and to those who whine and moan about the payroll, get over it. If your team owners suddenly decided to start investing their profit back into acquiring players that perform like CC and Teix, you would be ecstatic about it. If you really expect a Yankee fan to feel guilty about the fact that they go after the guys that give them the best chance to win, you're dreaming.

Zep
09-26-2009, 04:30 PM
I attribute the Pirates misery to PNC Park...we dont have hitters or pitchers, so we are screwed either way...I hate the stadium arguments, the Yankees would tear it up wherever they played.

Thank you!

And hey, you have the reigning SB champs AND the reigning SC champs, you're doing pretty damn good yourself!

BostonSucks
09-26-2009, 04:36 PM

wow another ******* that thinks money really matter that much lol if money mattered that much yankees would be 162-0 every year and sweep all threw the playoffs and win the world series every year. and look at the redskins in the nfl, the richest team in football yet havent won a super bowl since 91, so u might want to think of another excuse other then payroll

MelanconMadness
09-26-2009, 04:41 PM

Cano has the power to hit 25+ in a season regardless of where hes playing. As for Damon, he hit 24 in 2007 as a Yankee, without the new stadium, so

North Yorker
09-26-2009, 04:46 PM
wow another ******* that thinks money really matter that much lol if money mattered that much yankees would be 162-0 every year and sweep all threw the playoffs and win the world series every year. and look at the redskins in the nfl, the richest team in football yet havent won a super bowl since 91, so u might want to think of another excuse other then payroll

It does matter genius.

Without all that $$$ spent you guys wouldnt have CC, Burnett, and Teixeira which means that your team would be in the toilet right now.

It would mean that you wouldnt be able to do the "quick fix" like you did in the offseason.

A couple yrs ago Yanks fans were saying that Ian Kennedy and Phil Hughes will win back to back Cy's... but that kinda got thrown out the window when you signed CC and Burnett to rely on in your rotation.

Imperial
09-26-2009, 04:53 PM
Cano has the power to hit 25+ in a season regardless of where hes playing. As for Damon, he hit 24 in 2007 as a Yankee, without the new stadium, so

You might have a point if Cano had ever actually hit 25 home runs in a season in his 5 year career. His career high in home runs previously the the NYS was 19.

2009mvp
09-26-2009, 05:03 PM

:laugh2: The fact that you bring up a team in A CAPPED SPORT to prove that money doesn't mean anything is all kinds of funny. I'm not bashing the Yankees and I'm not 'crying poor' for my team. What I do expect is Yankee fans to be able to admit that yes, money does play a fairly significant role in their success.

NYK Lebron NYK
09-26-2009, 05:15 PM
Cano has 12 at home and 11 on the road.

The stadium has definitely helped Damon a lot though since his swing is pretty much perfect for the short RF.

Nick Swisher has what 24 road homers?

3 or 4 home homers?

Throw that ******** out the window about it being a homer friendly park for everyone. Its about the same dimensions as the old one, give or take some feet.

MelanconMadness
09-26-2009, 05:16 PM
You might have a point if Cano had ever actually hit 25 home runs in a season in his 5 year career. His career high in home runs previously the the NYS was 19.

So players dont develop power during their career now? Primes dont exist? Hes 26 and entering his prime now. He has, and will have the power whether it happened before or not.

NYK Lebron NYK
09-26-2009, 05:17 PM
:laugh2: The fact that you bring up a team in A CAPPED SPORT to prove that money doesn't mean anything is all kinds of funny. I'm not bashing the Yankees and I'm not 'crying poor' for my team. What I do expect is Yankee fans to be able to admit that yes, money does play a fairly significant role in their success.

What has the huge payrolls gotten us since 2000 I ask you?

Im speaking Rings wise anyway...

Please.. Ill wait.

NYK Lebron NYK
09-26-2009, 05:18 PM
So players dont develop power during their career now? Primes dont exist? Hes 26 and entering his prime now. He has, and will have the power whether it happened before or not.

No. That would be logical for a perennial "power" to the gaps double type hitter to hit his prime and work on his power and such with Kevin long and have some of those doubles turn into home runs. LOGICAL doesnt cut it here

NYK Lebron NYK
09-26-2009, 05:21 PM
Im done with this thread and the entire MLB Section

The Yankee hate is ridiculous, and obvious, and the mods and powers that be do nothing about it.

Good day gentleman. Have fun watching ESPN

Pavelb1
09-26-2009, 05:33 PM

The Yankee hate is ridiculous, and obvious, and the mods and powers that be do nothing about it.

Too ****ing funny. A 12 year old sets up a strawman, and another is taking his ball and going home.

2009mvp
09-26-2009, 05:59 PM

Oh damnnn. Well now there's no reason to even come back to this forum. Guys, if we all rally together maybe we can convince him to stay and return the MLB forum to glory!

MooseWithFleas
09-26-2009, 06:03 PM
Wow... to the original poster :facepalm:

BostonSucks
09-26-2009, 06:08 PM
its funny how all u "a s s bag haters" say nothing when the yankees dont win, money never comes up, but as soon as they start winning "its because off the money" **** comes up lol no wonder why this forum sucks and pretty much everyone left

Rogi10
09-26-2009, 06:10 PM

Please.. Ill wait.

playoff appearances? without those you don't get rings...

North Yorker
09-26-2009, 06:12 PM
its funny how all u "a s s bag haters" say nothing when the yankees dont win, money never comes up, but as soon as they start winning "its because off the money" **** comes up lol no wonder why this forum sucks and pretty much everyone left

says "BostonSucks"

Jamiecballer
09-26-2009, 06:18 PM

isn't there like, a cap, or something in the NFL? So just to be clear, it wouldn't matter much how rich the Redskins franchise was.... right? right?

Jamiecballer
09-26-2009, 06:23 PM

that's not entirely true. when the yankee's don't win we're all off laughing "haha they can't win with a team of all-stars, isn't that funny, haha"

Jamiecballer
09-26-2009, 06:24 PM

Please.. Ill wait.

the best chance of success of anyone in baseball. there. someone said what we were all thinking....

sawxfan
09-26-2009, 06:26 PM
All you dumbass noobs are just all stupid playa hatea's. This is a Yankee's universe, shut up and just be happy to be part of it. Suckah's!

Pensx3
09-26-2009, 06:34 PM

Pensx3
09-26-2009, 06:37 PM
All you dumbass noobs are just all stupid playa hatea's. This is a Yankee's universe, shut up and just be happy to be part of it. Suckah's!

Eloquently stated, sucka. You sir are the reason why Bud Selig needs to get his head out of the Yankees and Red Sox ***** and instate a salary cap...Cashman would last a week in a salary cap world and the Yankees would be a last place team...

magichatnumber9
09-26-2009, 06:54 PM
PSD is not for you. Wait another 5-6 years.

sawxfan
09-26-2009, 07:10 PM
Eloquently stated, sucka. You sir are the reason why Bud Selig needs to get his head out of the Yankees and Red Sox ***** and instate a salary cap...Cashman would last a week in a salary cap world and the Yankees would be a last place team...

Well, I am not sure why you would say that was eloquently stated, but I do appreciate you calling me sir.

I am fine with there being a salary cap, but really do not understand why I would be the reason for the need to have one.

See, I live in NYC and I am a Sox fan that is originally from Providence, so every day I hear from all my friends that are Yanks fans that I am just jealous of the 26 rings. The thread is silly and I was just having some fun with it.

I just received a text from one of these humble Yanks fans because they scored two runs in the 8th off Wagner. I am a Sox fan, but I do not let it control my life. I hate most fans.

sofargone
09-26-2009, 08:25 PM
new yankee stadium pwns n00bs h8ers.

Really though with a team as stacked as theirs, i dont think the park has MUCH to do with it.

Agar81
09-26-2009, 08:47 PM

you are sadly wrong. We have the highest percentage of homegrown players in the AL with 58%, second to only the Rockies who have 62%, so dont make a fool of yourself next time.

BTownTeamsRKing
09-26-2009, 08:52 PM
thread starter needs to be banned on charges of using terms that people out grow at age 13. or that ive never said.

seriously yankee hate? joe buck drools when Jeter fields a simple groundball

Pavelb1
09-26-2009, 08:59 PM
you are sadly wrong. We have the highest percentage of homegrown players in the AL with 58%, second to only the Rockies who have 62%, so dont make a fool of yourself next time.

The only fools are people who trot out their pat answers and try and pretend that Sabathia, Arod, Burnett, Teixiera, Damon, and Matsui arn't instrumental to their success this year.

But I'm sure your guys would have been just fine with 9 Gardners and a rotation of Hughes-Kennedy-Chamberlain

BTownTeamsRKing
09-26-2009, 09:04 PM
The only fools are people who trot out their pat answers and try and pretend that Sabathia, Arod, Burnett, Teixiera, Damon, and Matsui arn't instrumental to their success this year.

But I'm sure your guys would have been just fine with 9 Gardners and a rotation of Hughes-Kennedy-Chamberlain

good point.

2009mvp
09-26-2009, 09:06 PM

:sigh: You're right, it's the Melky Cabrera's and Phil Coke's who win the Yankees games, not CC, AJ, A-Rod and Tex. And for the record, being able to lock up homegrown superstars (Jeter, Mo, Jorge) is a result of what? Having a high payroll. If Mauer or Halladay were Yankees it wouldn't be a question of dealing them to get value, but how much would they resign for. Again, any reasonable Yankee fan will tell you that of course money is a factor. Not the only factor, but certainly a significant one.

sofargone
09-26-2009, 09:10 PM
you are sadly wrong. We have the highest percentage of homegrown players in the AL with 58%, second to only the Rockies who have 62%, so dont make a fool of yourself next time. A-rod
Burnett
Sabathia
Tex
Matsui
Damon
Swisher

Thats a pretty big 42% there bud. apparently money CAN buy love.

DodgersFanFor23
09-26-2009, 09:23 PM
Noobs

trifive67
09-26-2009, 09:31 PM

nobody cares about the stadium, however the payroll situation IS a problem... imagine how good the marlins would be in they didnt have to trade away their stud players over the years due to the salary situation! Sabathia initially wanted to go to the west coast, but the huge offer from ny was enough to sway his decision. Burnett is grossly overpaid, and we all know the story on Teixeira. Thats just one year of free agent acquisitions... Frankly, with the Yankees payroll, Steinbrenner has good reason to be mad when they dont win! They ought to win 110-120 games every year and consistently win championships. It's not a jealously matter whatsoever. It's simply disheartening when see your favorite players each year leave small market teams to go collect big money from the Mets, Yankees, and Red Sox. Yankees fans dont know the feeling... Imagine if the Yankees couldnt afford to keep a guy like Jeter and how disheartening it'd be to see you favorite Yankee playing for another team that could pay bigger money... Go to the Metrodome and take a look around at all the Mauer jerseys that'll soon be hung up when he leaves town for a wealthier contract. You cannot help but see a real problem with this salary situation...

Using the Redskins as an example is crazy. The fact that there is a salary cap in football entirely negates your argument.

Pavelb1
09-26-2009, 09:41 PM
nobody cares about the stadium, however the payroll situation IS a problem... imagine how good the marlins would be in they didnt have to trade away their stud players over the years due to the salary situation! Sabathia initially wanted to go to the west coast, but the huge offer from ny was enough to sway his decision. Burnett is grossly overpaid, and we all know the story on Teixeira. Thats just one year of free agent acquisitions... Frankly, with the Yankees payroll, Steinbrenner has good reason to be mad when they dont win! They ought to win 110-120 games every year and consistently win championships. It's not a jealously matter whatsoever. It's simply disheartening when see your favorite players each year leave small market teams to go collect big money from the Mets, Yankees, and Red Sox. Yankees fans dont know the feeling... Imagine if the Yankees couldnt afford to keep a guy like Jeter and how disheartening it'd be to see you favorite Yankee playing for another team that could pay bigger money... Go to the Metrodome and take a look around at all the Mauer jerseys that'll soon be hung up when he leaves town for a wealthier contract. You cannot help but see a real problem with this salary situation...

Using the Redskins as an example is crazy. The fact that there is a salary cap in football entirely negates your argument.

Imagine if they had an owner who gave seven shades of ****.

Jamiecballer
09-26-2009, 10:50 PM

dude. what the hell is your point?

do you, or do you not, have a team payroll that is more than double the major league average? i don't mind all yankee fans just the ones that try to switch the subject to something else and think we are all too stupid to notice.

N.Z's #1 Dodger
09-27-2009, 12:48 AM
Who cares?

xSolidx
09-27-2009, 01:20 AM
I understand the frustration of the lower market teams hating the Yankees, honestly, if i was a fan of the twins or Pirates or any low market team, I would dislike the Yankees as well. i fully understand where you guys are coming from, but it isnt like the Yankees are the only team with a high payroll, we just have have a large amount of revenue comign in because of the Stadium and our own network.

But shouldnt the hatred be more directed to MLB for not instituting a salary cap? I mean seriously, it aint like the Yankees are breaking any rules. People should be mad at Selig, not at the Yankees front office for their high payroll.

Plus its not like money does buy championships for us, we havent won since 2000. This year might be different, but who knows.

As for the stadium, I have seen the vast majority of the games, and the HR's dont fly out as they used to. In April and May the HR's were a complete joke, I even hated the new stadium because we and the opposition got many cheap hr's. But ever since then it has died down. Most of the HR's being hit out are probably a HR in any other ball park, Yes the stadium still gives up cheap HR's here and there, but it has definitely died down.

BTownTeamsRKing
09-27-2009, 02:12 AM
I understand the frustration of the lower market teams hating the Yankees, honestly, if i was a fan of the twins or Pirates or any low market team, I would dislike the Yankees as well. i fully understand where you guys are coming from, but it isnt like the Yankees are the only team with a high payroll, we just have have a large amount of revenue comign in because of the Stadium and our own network.

But shouldnt the hatred be more directed to MLB for not instituting a salary cap? I mean seriously, it aint like the Yankees are breaking any rules. People should be mad at Selig, not at the Yankees front office for their high payroll.

Plus its not like money does buy championships for us, we havent won since 2000. This year might be different, but who knows.

As for the stadium, I have seen the vast majority of the games, and the HR's dont fly out as they used to. In April and May the HR's were a complete joke, I even hated the new stadium because we and the opposition got many cheap hr's. But ever since then it has died down. Most of the HR's being hit out are probably a HR in any other ball park, Yes the stadium still gives up cheap HR's here and there, but it has definitely died down.

solid points

BostonSucks
09-27-2009, 02:16 AM
good point.

yeah and your rotation would be great with buttholz and molester lol red sox paid for beckett,matz,wakefield,martinez,roidtiz,bay,drew,s aito,okajima,byrd,lowell,gonzalez,basically your whole team. just because they are budget players isn't our fault

Pavelb1
09-27-2009, 02:54 AM
yeah and your rotation would be great with buttholz and molester lol red sox paid for beckett,matz,wakefield,martinez,roidtiz,bay,drew,s aito,okajima,byrd,lowell,gonzalez,basically your whole team. just because they are budget players isn't our fault

We're not talking about the Red Sox, we're talking about the Yankees. Do try and keep up.

misterd
09-27-2009, 03:37 AM
I was thinking the same thing haha...I think the only stat that you showed that really determines whether it is a hitters park is HR, and there is a bit of a discrepancy in that category

That discrepancy is even greater when you remove Swisher's stats, which are rediculously lopsided towards road HRs.

However, would not runs be a better measure of offensive production than just HRs? It seems to me that the general lack of a statistical difference in runs and slugging would imply the Yankees are simply exploiting the short porch when home, and adjusting to other methods on the road.

Besides, it doesn't make any sense to attribute their success to the home park, when it plays the same for visitors, as well, and the Yanks have one of the best road records in the game.

Cano24
09-27-2009, 05:18 AM

well maybe the fact that he is matureing with age being that he is only like 26 has something to do with the increase in Power I mean most people just come out there Rookie year and have the same stats forever....*******

Cano24
09-27-2009, 05:25 AM

They play in Miami that is not a small market maybe they should learn to market there Franchise better....I would be extermely pissed if the Yankees did not invest money that they made back into there team to try and put the best team possible out on the field...and for everyone that says oh a salary cap will fix everything no it wont becuase you will still have cheap *** owners trading away every good player they have for prospects so they dont have to pay them...and for the argument that Yankee players are overpaid I am sure they make just as much money for the Yankees if not more than the Yankees pay them so that would make them underpaid...why shouldnt the Players get the money instead of the owners?...if Fans of teams with Cheap *** owners would quit settling with Mediocrity and stop going to the games maybe the owners would get the message and start investing some money back into the team

Seal
09-27-2009, 05:26 AM
solid points

:laugh2: Why does your sig have a picture of Martinez after he struck out? Your savior isn't much of a savior if he's striking out in people's sigs.

Cano24
09-27-2009, 05:27 AM

yeah since HR is the only hit that is allowed at the New Yankee stadium...and maybe there are so many home runs hit there because the talent the Yankees have..if the royals and the rest of the Horrible AL Central played most of there games there we arent having this discussion right now

Brett19
09-27-2009, 05:49 AM
I haven't even seen many people blaming any sort of major success on the stadium, where did this thread even come from?

Agar81
09-27-2009, 06:55 AM

All I was trying to say was that our team isnt ONLY the money we spend. we still have alot of homegrown talent...

Reversed86Curse
09-27-2009, 08:19 AM

First, for a Yankee fan to even start the whole 'roidtiz' thing is stupid- last I checked you still have A-rod

Second, Beckett, Martinez, Bay and Lowell all came to Boston via trade- big difference trading for someone and signing them to extensions vs. throwing cash at their feet to come play for you. It's been obvious for years that the Yankees don't care about a players actual value, just as long as their bid is miles ahead of the next bidder.

Third, 'Buttholz and molester'. Seriously? Your an idiot, grow up

You don't even have your facts straight

sawxfan
09-27-2009, 08:27 AM
They play in Miami that is not a small market maybe they should learn to market there Franchise better....I would be extermely pissed if the Yankees did not invest money that they made back into there team to try and put the best team possible out on the field...and for everyone that says oh a salary cap will fix everything no it wont becuase you will still have cheap *** owners trading away every good player they have for prospects so they dont have to pay them...and for the argument that Yankee players are overpaid I am sure they make just as much money for the Yankees if not more than the Yankees pay them so that would make them underpaid...why shouldnt the Players get the money instead of the owners?...if Fans of teams with Cheap *** owners would quit settling with Mediocrity and stop going to the games maybe the owners would get the message and start investing some money back into the team

So now the Yankees do the best job marketing their team also. Oh no, it could not have anything to do with there being 8.3 million people in NYC, 12.5 million in the metro area, and that Manhattan and Brooklyn are the two most densely populated areas in the country. No, it is because they are smarter and better at their jobs than us.

BTownTeamsRKing
09-27-2009, 09:29 AM
I haven't even seen many people blaming any sort of major success on the stadium, where did this thread even come from?

I blame the inflated HR numbers of Damon on the stadium. but realistically, the stadium only plays to the advantage of the home team to an extext. its no secret, the Red Sox play twice as good in Fenway compared to on the road.

BTownTeamsRKing
09-27-2009, 09:30 AM
:laugh2: Why does your sig have a picture of Martinez after he struck out? Your savior isn't much of a savior if he's striking out in people's sigs.

im pretty sure hes adjusting his batting gloves b/w pitches. who would stand there adjusting them after a strike out?

thefeckcampaign
09-27-2009, 09:36 AM

Please.. Ill wait.Let us be honest here. We all know that if you look at the standings the teams who are in first are the teams who spent the most or the 2nd most in that division and the teams in last are usually the teams who spent the least that season.

With this ridiculous long play-off picture, it's all about who's hot for 3 weeks.

thefeckcampaign
09-27-2009, 09:55 AM
Imagine if they had an owner who gave seven shades of ****.This may be the case but they also do not have a very supportive fan base. The only seem to appear when they are in the WS. The guy has been screaming for a new stadium for years. He has given the city 2 WS Champions in their short period of existence and they still cannot fill a stadium on a regular basis. What do they want from the guy?

Pavelb1
09-27-2009, 10:44 AM
This may be the case but they also do not have a very supportive fan base. The only seem to appear when they are in the WS. The guy has been screaming for a new stadium for years. He has given the city 2 WS Champions in their short period of existence and they still cannot fill a stadium on a regular basis. What do they want from the guy?

A closer stadium with a topless beach for a warning track.

re: the new marlins park. "Dead center is going to be a surprise that Jeffrey Loria is working on for the stadium"

I want to see a water hazard. That'd be awesome. Some sort of moat or on field fountains.

Havoc Wreaker
09-27-2009, 01:00 PM

follow them to the other sites and have sports conversations with the same 3 or 4 people everyday :laugh2:

Zmaster52
09-27-2009, 06:03 PM
its not the homeruns, its where the homeruns are hit, most of them barely clear the wall

Cano24
09-28-2009, 03:17 PM
So now the Yankees do the best job marketing their team also. Oh no, it could not have anything to do with there being 8.3 million people in NYC, 12.5 million in the metro area, and that Manhattan and Brooklyn are the two most densely populated areas in the country. No, it is because they are smarter and better at their jobs than us.

They 26 WS titles might go to show that also

Reversed86Curse
10-01-2009, 07:28 AM
its not the homeruns, its where the homeruns are hit, most of them barely clear the wall

couldn't agree more- routine fly's to right field clear the bases

thefeckcampaign
10-01-2009, 10:14 AM
This thread is fun. :)

DJYankee
10-01-2009, 10:26 AM
All I have to say about Boston is I rather face you guys away from Fenway...

ManRam
10-01-2009, 10:34 AM
A-rod
Burnett
Sabathia
Tex
Matsui
Damon
Swisher

Thats a pretty big 42% there bud. apparently money CAN buy love.

Not to mention that half the teams would be unable to sign Mo and Jeter to multiple long term deals...bring back Pettitte...etc.

Anyone who acts like having a lot of money to spend is overrated is crazy. Sure, teams can be successful for a year or two without 100+ million dollar pay rolls...but those teams fall off very fast (Marlins, Diamondbacks, Rays etc.). It's hard to maintain success if you can't spend money. It's not even all about bringing in new players...it's about keeping players. Just look at the fire sales the Pirates always have, the Marlins have had, the A's have had etc. They can't afford to maintain success.

Imperial
10-01-2009, 10:49 AM
All I have to say about Boston is I rather face you guys away from Fenway...

There isn't much of a home field advantage in those 7 game series. The team without it gets 3 straight games at home. The series has to go 7 for the team with home field to get their 4th game at home.

ManRam
10-01-2009, 11:06 AM
Home vs. Away splits

Jeter: 5HR/.842OPS vs. 12HR/.889OPS
Damon: 17HR/.915OPS vs. 7HR/.915OPS
Teixeira: 24HR/1.026OPS vs. 15HR/.886OPS
Rodriguez: 18HR/.928OPS vs. 10HR/.913OPS
Cano: 14HR/.911OPS vs. 11HR/.842OPS
Cabrera: 9HR/.760OPS vs. 4HR/.747OPS
Posada: 14HR/1.013OPS vs. 8HR/.776OPS
Swisher: 8HR/.776OPS vs. 21HR/.949OPS
Matsui: 13HR/.816OPS vs. 15HR/.968OPS

Home: 122HR/.887OPS vs. 103HR/.787OPS
Team Home: 57-24 (vs. 45-33 Road). 136HR (vs. 105) .858OPS (vs. .826)

Red Sox Home: 52-25 (vs. 39-42 Road) 105HR (vs. 98) .856 (vs. .753)

Every team for the most part is much better at home. No team has even close to as big of a HR disparity as the Yankees. They definitely benefit from their stadium, but so do most every other team. The thing the Yankees have going for them is that they can throw 7 left handed hitters out there on a given day. That is a huge advantage. Props to them for assembling that team.

Anyone who denies a home field advantage in Yankee stadium, but anyone who acts like they are the only team is just as crazy. The Yankees might have the best home field advantage in the league, but it isn't by tons.

skierdude44
10-01-2009, 11:29 AM
As to the original point of this post, of course the stadium helps the Yankees, every team tries to field a club that best suits it's home field. It is also true that the Yankees have to face teams in their home park and those teams have the same home run advantage, and the Yankees also have the best road record, so obviously they have a talented team.

As far as money goes, someone brought up earlier that the Yankees have made a lot of free agent signings to bring in players whereas the Red Sox have done it via trade. That doesn't change the fact that the Red Sox are able to make more trades like that because of their ability to then lock up the players they acquired long term. They can trade for a guy at the trade deadline who is half a season away from free agency and know full well that they will be able to sign him long term to an extension which in essence is very similar to a free agent signing. Teams like the Brewers can't do that, which is why they get burned when they go out on a limb and trade for a guy like Sabathia. They trade for him knowing that they have no chance to retain him with an extension. More often than not teams like that won't even make the trade because they are basically throwing away prospects for a rental. Money plays a factor there as well.

Lastly, yes the New York Metro area has the highest population density in the country. It also has the highest cost of living. It does give the Yankees an advantage, but you can't just point to that without looking at the otherside of the coin. Many people in that area have higher rents, mortgages, etc and therefore less disposable income to spend on a baseball game. While it's true that that does not even out the disparity it does level the field a bit. There was a thread in this forum maybe about a week ago about what team generates the most revenue. Someone posted a Forbes list showing the teams income, expenses, and final operating profit. The Yankees were top in revenue, but in the end were operating in a $3 million loss (I don't think it factored in outsides licensing and other factors, but it's a starting point). The Marlins were last in revenue, but first in profit at around $40 million. If they reinvest that money back into their team, they are a more competitive club, but their owner in turn pockets those profits. This all is not factoring revenue sharing as well. The bottom line is that it's a broken system, but it's not the big market team's fault. They operate within the rules.

Lastly, all teams in some way or another "buy" talent. The Marlins for example do it in the exact opposite way the Yankees do. They trade away all the veterans to "buy" prospects and young players and in turn when the prospects develop they have a championship caliber team and then repeat the cycle. Very few of their players are homegrown, but are rather prospects that were "bought" from other teams. It is impossible to build a championship team totally through your own system. Since the inception of free agency almost all WS champions have done it by building a young core of players and trading for quality vets to fill out the roster. That's true whether you're the Yankees or the Red Sox, or the Marlins. The only exception to that rule is the Arizona Diamondbacks who were fresh off expansion (therefore had no "homegrown" talent) when they won.

Do the Yankees have a competitive advantage every year? Absolutely. Anyone who can start off with that type of payroll, retain their prospects, and add pieces that are needed can. It would be pointless to argue otherwise. Do other teams "buy" and "sell" players to build championship teams? Absolutely. No one can do it completely through their own system and some of the smaller market teams have become very adept at selling off their vets for prospects and building championship contenders like that. In the long run it leds to greater turnover as it's harder to sustain a dynasty that way, but in the short term it does allow them to "buy" championships.

Double_R
10-01-2009, 11:43 AM
I look forward to watching Albert Pujols hitting homers there in the series.

Gunzito22
10-01-2009, 12:02 PM
nobody cares about the stadium, however the payroll situation IS a problem... imagine how good the marlins would be in they didnt have to trade away their stud players over the years due to the salary situation!

REALLY!?!?!?!? this arguement us a disgrace and an abortion. if Loiria took his Marlins as seriously after the champions as the fans did (read: did not hold the annual fire sales after the championships) he would not have an attendence issue. the fans stopped coming after he sold all his players @ .35 cents on the dollar after he got the rings.

so screw the fish and their cheap ownership.

Besides, it doesn't make any sense to attribute their success to the home park, when it plays the same for visitors, as well, and the Yanks have one of the best road records in the game.

IF (and its a giant if) homefield meant anything, then one of the following 4 teams would win every year: Yankees, Red Sox (shut up, I know these guys are on top every year), Astros, and Rockies...

hows that working out?

7chuck7
10-01-2009, 12:21 PM
It sounds like tThere are only two types of people in the world. Those who love the Yankees, and those who don't and by default are unreasonable dumb "noob" haters who like stats.
-------------------------------------------------------------------------

Yankee fans are superior human beings and other fans deep down inside wish they were us. It's ok, we understand if you are afraid to show it. Repeat after me, 'I love everything about the Yankees and their fans and I wish I was one of them.'

That wasn't that hard, now was it?

Hopkins
10-01-2009, 01:03 PM
REALLY!?!?!?!? this arguement us a disgrace and an abortion. if Loiria took his Marlins as seriously after the champions as the fans did (read: did not hold the annual fire sales after the championships) he would not have an attendence issue. the fans stopped coming after he sold all his players @ .35 cents on the dollar after he got the rings.

so screw the fish and their cheap ownership.

IF (and its a giant if) homefield meant anything, then one of the following 4 teams would win every year: Yankees, Red Sox (shut up, I know these guys are on top every year), Astros, and Rockies...

hows that working out?

an abortion??????????????? wtf

flips333
10-01-2009, 01:40 PM

BA:

HR:

RBI:

Runs:

Hits:

SLG:

OBP:

the correct quote should be anyone would win in that band box with a 122 million dollar payroll.... except the mets. They'd find a way to suck.

donnie23
10-01-2009, 01:55 PM
I look forward to watching Albert Pujols hitting homers there in the series.

2 things: 1. Albert Pujols is RHed so the short wall in RF won't help too much and 2. When Albert hit ball hard, fence no matter, ball go bye bye.